IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic 2008

jboypacman

I'm still wondering if Al will be there.

I have a booth (4 table actually) and I'll be selling. I have alot of SMS, Sat, and Gen stuff prices, along with a few random bits like an N-gage QD and games, Virtual Boy, a Leisurevision unit, a box Jaguar. Any requests? I've yet to get to pricing and packing the Nintendo stuff or Atari stuff. As Atari goes the debate is loose vs. boxed, import vs. domestic only. I try to leave a lot of my imports at home because of limited interest.

If you bring the odd stuff, you know I'll buy it. :) Obscure is the word...

Tempest

I cant go either :(

Out of curiosity, why so early this year? It was in June last year.

...and the year before. (Why have it during the school year, and during a period of questionable weather in the midwest? At least you know in June it won't snow!)

I'm going to bow out too, especially since neither Inky nor Atari Age will be there...it's all for the best, as 1) I'd have to ditch at least one of two classes I take on Saturdays, 2) it'll save on gas money, 3) I need to be back in time to pick my wife up at the airport [death in her family, overnight trip for funeral], and 4) I have a bunch of homebrews that I ordered that I've yet to have a chance to play, and being a bachelor for about 40 hours will help me catch up!, 5) It'll save me the $10 admission, and 6) I won't have to go to Wisconsin.

The show was definitely better this year than last year's. This year is more on par with 2006's awesome show...last year seemed to be a bit of a dud in comparison of 2006. Glad to see 2008 brought back some of the magic of 2006.

I picked up Magician Lord for my NeoGeo AES, Indy 500 with the racing paddle and instructions for $6...and last but not least...

IANOID, thanks for the Devil's Crush! I have been looking for that for a long while now! I hope your friends made it to the show last night from Chicago. ;)

JboyPacman, how did you like the show? Sorry to tell you that I got Ianoid's 3D Master System glasses back in '06. ;) (Still can't believe I got those, thanks Ianoid!)

Anyway, some of you might have seen me working the Gathering of Gamers booth. I was helping my friend out who rented the table. I was the one with red hair and World of Warcraft Tauren Chieftan shirt on. If any of you go today, please stop by Gathering of Gamers and sign up for the service (it's free)...you'll get a free t-shirt from Tim, the guy working there. Have fun today!

Well, this is the first time I've had the opportunity to go - and it was great! Got to meet Tempest, ianoid, and wgungfu - it was great to finally meet some people.

Lots of excellent vendors and a sweet collection of arcade and pinball machines. I'm sorry that I had to miss the Saturday festivities as I would have loved to see all of the presentations, but I suppose I'll just have to wait til next year!

EDIT: I also got to walk through the museum portion and that was excellent as well! Not only did I get to see (and play!) some consoles that I had never actually seen in person, I was quite excited to see one of the phones Atari made that had been previously thought to be destroyed.

Edited by Atariman

It was a great show this year and i had a blast! I got to hang out with Tempest for a short while,Meet up with BassGutari and Swingtown(Thanks for the name badge guys!),Ianoid and i chatted a little bit,I said hi to Jason from Trade-N-Games,and i went and shook hands with Walter Day(Nice guy).

The vendors were there in force this year i was finally able to snag a PC-Engine Duo-R! and there was some great arcade/pinball games to play and the museum was cool as always(Played on the FM Towns Marty a little bit and now i want one!).

Its cool SumerNivek i will snag some 3-D glasses at some point let me know if you ever want to get rid of yours i will gladly take them from you buddy. :)

I would have to say the other highlight of the event for me was, FINALLY, seeing a Baby Pac-Man machine. I had never seen one...EVER...in my life, and they had a fully functional one, tucked away in the corner.

For those who don't know, Baby Pac-man is a hybrid video game/pinball machine. I absolutely loved it and I wish I could have brought it home!!!

Yeah and I had two of the hi scores on it. That and Donkey Kong II - Jumpman Returns saw the most play time from me.

Okay, here's a photo dump...took all these early Sunday morning when the crowd was just coming in.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/rap-sheet/MGC-2008/

Edited by Crimefighter

...and the year before. (Why have it during the school year, and during a period of questionable weather in the midwest? At least you know in June it won't snow!)

Dan got it partially right, but here's the quick full story...

We found out that due to us booking too late, that the hotel was already filled for most weekends. We put a temporary hold on the March dates, and decided to look into if we should move it.

After a little bit of talking to people, mostly our advertising partners, March was determined to be a MUCH better time of year for a variety of reasons. Advertising during that time of the year is much cheaper (we got nearly double radio spots for the same cost as the year prior), and since the weather isn't nice, there isn't a ton of outdoor stuff going on. The last two years, we held the MGC on the first truly nice weekends of summer which doesn't make everyone want to go inside and play video games and pinball. Moving it to this time of the year avoided that while still narrowly avoiding snow, and allows us to do better and better promotions.

Anyway, I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the show, and I hope to see you all back again next March for another!

Dan got it partially right, but here's the quick full story...

We found out that due to us booking too late, that the hotel was already filled for most weekends. We put a temporary hold on the March dates, and decided to look into if we should move it.

After a little bit of talking to people, mostly our advertising partners, March was determined to be a MUCH better time of year for a variety of reasons. Advertising during that time of the year is much cheaper (we got nearly double radio spots for the same cost as the year prior), and since the weather isn't nice, there isn't a ton of outdoor stuff going on. The last two years, we held the MGC on the first truly nice weekends of summer which doesn't make everyone want to go inside and play video games and pinball. Moving it to this time of the year avoided that while still narrowly avoiding snow, and allows us to do better and better promotions.

Anyway, I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the show, and I hope to see you all back again next March for another!

another march show? you just want me to get cold don't ya dan(j/k)

(actually the reason why I said that is because if you take megabus from chicago you have to wait outside

for the bus instead of the termnal. and this year was cold)

planning to have table next year though maybe in event area near Jagfest/turbofest.

• 2 weeks later...