IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic 2008

jboypacman

I hate being the stick in the mud, but I must say I liked 2007 better than this years con. This is strictly my point of view, I drive from South Dakota to these things and was hoping to see more Early 80's classic stuff. Atari Age was not present and neither was 8bit classics. They were the 2 vendors I spent the most money with in 2007. The poor soul working at Goat store was completely overwhelmed, and I had to come back 4 times to finally get his attention and buy the stuff I wanted. I guess my excitement over NES era gaming is not that high, I want to see Quadrun, Crazy Climber, and other RARE Atari games. I even brought enough money to buy such a beast. I ended up with a good deal on Atari Video Cube, so it was not a total bust.

It was fun, but I was disappointed. Too much pinball IMHO ;)

One thing I’d like to find out though is on all the playable game systems in the museum, the controllers had that tactile click on the fire buttons and the joystick. How is that being done? Is there a FAQ somewhere on how to refurbish controllers i.e. 2600 sticks, Colecovision sticks?

D

I hate being the stick in the mud, but I must say I liked 2007 better than this years con. This is strictly my point of view, I drive from South Dakota to these things and was hoping to see more Early 80's classic stuff. Atari Age was not present and neither was 8bit classics. They were the 2 vendors I spent the most money with in 2007. The poor soul working at Goat store was completely overwhelmed, and I had to come back 4 times to finally get his attention and buy the stuff I wanted. I guess my excitement over NES era gaming is not that high, I want to see Quadrun, Crazy Climber, and other RARE Atari games. I even brought enough money to buy such a beast. I ended up with a good deal on Atari Video Cube, so it was not a total bust.

It was fun, but I was disappointed. Too much pinball IMHO ;)

One thing I’d like to find out though is on all the playable game systems in the museum, the controllers had that tactile click on the fire buttons and the joystick. How is that being done? Is there a FAQ somewhere on how to refurbish controllers i.e. 2600 sticks, Colecovision sticks?

D

Al was in process moving back to texas, so he hada good excuse.

as for 8-bit classics: he was one of the guys helping out in the goat store booth.

Also I can see your point with goat store, I was going to buy me a atari label mgc t-shirt right before I had to go,

but they guy who was there took too long looking up a price online for an item on another customer.

and he just lost my business and a sale.

(for the record: even though I was part of the staff , I did offer to help, but they didn't want it)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I picked up at the show and approx. prices paid. If it says (trade), I traded something out of my booth for it.

TG16

Ballistix (complete) 10

Bomberman (complete) 10

Psychosis (complete) 8

Timeball (complete) 10

TG CD

Cosmic Fantasy 2 (NEW) 20

Exile (NEW) 15

Sega CD

Secret of Monkey Island (NEW) Trade

Burning Fists (complete) 20

NES

Conan (cart only) Trade

GameCube

Balder's Gate (complete) 8

Saturn

Darklight Conflict (complete) Trade

Heir of Zendor (NEW) Trade

Resurrection (complete) Trade

PS2

Network Adapter X2 30 for both

and the following boxes and manuals

N64

Bomberman Hero (manual)

Star Craft 64 (manual)

Lego Racers (manual)

Madden 2001 (manual)

Rainbow Six (manual)

Rampage 2 (box)

SNES

Cybernator (box)

Star Fox (box)

BOB (box and manual)

Kirby's Avalanche (box)

Super Slap Shot (box)

Clayfighter (box)

Raiden Trad (box)

Uniracers (manual)

Super Mario All Stars/World (manual)

Secret of Mana (manual)

I think that is all.

-Atarian75

as mentioned before:

I had planned to buy a t-shirt from goat store,but who ever was running that table around noon on sunday

was taking so long with a customer that he just lost my business that day.

I did see a 7800 power supply but had no box and I didn't want buy it with out a box since my tote bag

wasn't full of other stuff.(didn't want to take chance on breaking it)

• 2 weeks later...
All the deal mentioned are hardly "classic" in my opinion.

If Classic Gaming is NES, SNES, TG16, Genesis, then I must trully be a relic by comparison. ;)

There was plenty of classic stuff to be had, but that was not my area of focus this year.

All I got was classic stuff! :)

-Bally Astrocade system w/6 cartridges

-Star Wars: The Arcade Game for Atari 5200

-Pitfall, Ms. Pac-Man, and K-Razy Shootout for Atari 800

-Blockade Runner for Intellivision

-Cosmic Swarm, Secret Quest, Fast Food, and others that I'm forgetting for Atari 2600

-Some pirate cartridges for Atari 2600

-Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 repro for NES

-Robotron for Atari 7800

-Generation NEX system (now that I think of it, I haven't even set it up yet)

I ended up buying a bunch of Sears and Activision 2600 label variants at MGC this year. I ended up spending about $200 at Ianoid's booth on a CtCW and a bunch of variants. Between Ianoid and Davenumbers, they got about $450 out of me :D. I plan on making a trip back up to WI in august or so to visit Davenumbers, should be a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if last year was better than this year, but having different stuff this year kept things fresh so maybe people were missing certain vendors and didn't like who came in their place. It seemed like there were more pinball and arcade games to play this year than last. *I* certainly bought more stuff this time than last, though I spend it Sunday afternoon on a hard look for bargains when dealers were cutting prices so they didn't have to take it home. Who knows they may have to expand into a third ballroom next year.