IGNORED

Wii Homebrews

jbanes

Hi All!

Sorry if I've been quiet as of late, but I've been working on an exciting new library for the Nintendo Wii. My hope is to open up new avenues for creating games that utilize the console's controller.

To date, the most common method has been to create online games through Flash or Javascript. These games are then able to be played through the downloadable Opera web browser. However, one of the biggest problems with "homebrewing" games in this manner, is that only Opera's mouse functionality has been available. Even worse, the A button seems to get confused about whether it's a keyboard key or a mouse button, and thus tends to loose ALL mouse clicks if pressed too rapidly.

As Jess Ragan pointed out to me a while back, the key codes for the Wii Remote were cracked through Javascript. This allowed Javascript games (like my own Touch Wii demo) to use some of the keys. However, other keys were unusable because their default functions would change the screen. None the less, a few enterprising individuals sought to find a way to map Javacript to Flash. They did find ways, but the methods produced flaws of their own.

I'm happy to announce that this has now been fixed! Picking up and extending the work of others, I have now managed to create an interface that provides access to ALL the keys on the Wiimote, with the full ability to disable the default functions. I've worked closely with the premier Wii Web Gaming site, WiiCade.com, to put this API into the hands of game developers. WiiCade has not only graciously offered to host the API, but they've released several games based on it!

The Press Release

http://wiicade.blogspot.com/2007/02/wiicad...-for-flash.html

The API Downloads

http://www.wiicade.com/api.aspx

The Games!

MuscoMorpha

Territory Wars

Radioactive Snakes

Nutty McNuts (18+)

If you do a search on the 'net news sites for 'WiiCade', you'll find that the news is spreading fast. With any luck, there will be tons more games to play soon!

(Help us spread the news! Digg this story!)

Edited by jbanes

Congratulations! Maybe now we'll see some tweaks to the Homestar Runner games now that there are more control options available.

EDIT: I just sent the news over to Kotaku, a popular gaming blog. Hopefully they'll publish the story and give you some much-deserved publicity.

JR

Edited by Jess Ragan

WOW! That is truly exciting news!

Thanks for your efforts. I look forward to checking these games out. I have enjoyed spending some time on Wiicade.com and it should get much better.

Nintendo Power even mentioned Wiicade in their latest issue. The "Big N" definitely has their eye on that site. I wonder what they think of this news?

i never thought wiicade was any good till i read your post and played territory wars.. i wasted like 2 hours beating that game haha.

something that is interesting about what you pointed out is that since they have full range of the buttons AND are able to use them at the same time, I'm thinking this is a nice alternative to VC for young developers who cant afford to pay nintendo royalty fees for posting thier games on VC to sell (remember they said that they would post new games on the VC soon like xbl)). This is interesting as it gives you almost the same level of play as a cheap vc game (nice simple flash game) but without taking up space on my memory. very interesting, i think we'll soon find better games popping up. This site is becoming pretty promising.. wouldn't be too supirsed if nintendo bought it and made it like a really cheap gametap , small fee for a month to play as much as you want.. its a thought. then again, nintendo isnt sony, so they wouldnt rape you. :P

Hi guys! Sorry about being so slow to respond. Been busy. :)

Jess, thanks for the extra publicity! The news of the API is spreading to every corner of the 'net! Sorry to hear about your connection problems. Perhaps this game would download better? Just make sure that your web browser doesn't suck if you're not going to use a Wii. ;)

Bio & AtariJr, I'm happy to hear you're excited! It's definitely my hope that this will encourage good games for the Wii. It's difficult to say if they'll reach the level of the Virtual Console, but they will at least be fresh. :)

Again, thanks to everyone for their support! :cool:

• 11 months later...
small step, but who knows when the wii will be blown wide open :D

I'm curious why game manufacturers don't use a hybrid module containing an optical disk and some silicon stuff in a durable enclosure? They could then control piracy while offering an improved user experience (depending upon how much ROM was included, load times could be reduced).

small step, but who knows when the wii will be blown wide open :D

I'm curious why game manufacturers don't use a hybrid module containing an optical disk and some silicon stuff in a durable enclosure? They could then control piracy while offering an improved user experience (depending upon how much ROM was included, load times could be reduced).

expensive.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone else been following the new VC Game piracy craze?

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=107391

Apperently some people figured out how to package and install VC games onto the Wii using a code exploit found in Twilight Princess (reminds me of the Liberty City stories exploit on the PSP). The process seems a bit complex at the moment, but I'm sure they'll streamline it enventually.

I'm curious as to what Nintendo will do about this? Will they release a new firmware upgrade to counteract this, or will they start disabling people's Wii's (or preventing them from going online) if they detect pirated games on them? While I think the VC games are overpriced, I'd never download pirated versions for my Wii. The risk isn't worth it. I think the big N is going to do something about this soon and a whole bunch of people are going to be sorry...

Tempest

IIRC the latest firmware which is installed but not implemented will see an end to this, and to be honest, IF I had a mod chipped Wii, it would be easier to just use the emulators in Gamecube mode

I think that's great, if its decided its safe after a while I might give it a go. I'll still be supporting Nintendo and purchasing whats available that I want, but I think I'll take advantage of this to put some of my favorite SNES titles up like Top Gear.

At the very least, a safe hack to allow us to play VC titles off sd cards would be great.

Edited by Atariboy

The Twilight Hack is very interesting, might wanna grab a copy before they become recalled or collectible. Sooner or later a Wii softmod is going to happen, and it will likely keep up with whatever Nintendo does to the firmware, just like the Wii-key does. I imagine that only a small percentage of Wii owners will ever mod their systems anyways, I'm wondering if its really worth the effort to stop them. Like that big raid they had last year of mod-shops, like the justice dept has nothing better to do.