IGNORED

Wii Homebrews

jbanes

I've been really meaning to try this but have just been way too lazy. :P

Anyway the question I was probably going to answer for myself but will ask anyway, how does the emulation compare to xbox emulation? I'm guessing more or less the same?

If it's very comparable I'm thinking although the xbox might have the edge with the ease of accessing pretty much every game on a whim, the Wii might have an edge due to the classic controller.. which is kind of a big deal to me. That xbox pad just really never felt "right" for many games.

Anyway.. those in the know, let me know :)

Probably be easier to buy a Retro USB SuperNes>USB adapter and hack it to a Xbox controller cable then to do this.

Can't imagine it being too hard, the Xbox controller basically just had a USB connector shaped differently at the end, and could easily be converted to work on a PC by changing the cable connector to a standard USB plug.

Edited by Atariboy

Probably be easier to buy a Retro USB SuperNes>USB adapter and hack it to a Xbox controller cable then to do this.

Can't imagine it being too hard, the Xbox controller basically just had a USB connector shaped differently at the end, and could easily be converted to work on a PC by changing the cable connector to a standard USB plug.

I've tried that with the Xbox USB adapter with no luck, but the next step is to hack an actual xbox controller. It does seem logical to conclude that it would work, I agree.

to NE146: read my previous posts regarding the main reason for using the Wii emulators and it is indeed the classic controller. The Xbox 1 has it way over any platform with the exception of the PC for emulation but the Wii has serious potential for mouse games like SCUMM and for classic controller games, especially the N64, so it's a wait and see game for when the homebrew on the Wii blows up like it did for the Xbox1 and more recently, the PSP.

I'll say it again, it's an exciting time. I love to see the creativity that comes out of this sort of exploitation of a console, far less for the "piracy" than for the true homebrew and emulation.

Right now I'd still rate them in the following order..

1. xbox

2. dreamcast

3. Wii

That being said the Wii has ALOT of potential. It will be interesting to see if people take advantage of this or not. The SNES and Genesis emulations are very good, and in my book that means alot. But there are practically nill pre SNES system emulation. So it is severally lacking in the number of emu's. NES emu would be good if they get the sound issues corrected. Both the Gen and NES need their state saves to SD card fixed.

Right now I'd still rate them in the following order..

1. xbox

2. dreamcast

3. Wii

That being said the Wii has ALOT of potential. It will be interesting to see if people take advantage of this or not. The SNES and Genesis emulations are very good, and in my book that means alot. But there are practically nill pre SNES system emulation. So it is severally lacking in the number of emu's. NES emu would be good if they get the sound issues corrected. Both the Gen and NES need their state saves to SD card fixed.

I'd agree if I rated handheld separately but right now I think the PSP comes in second, then the Dreamcast and possibly a tie for third with the DS or maybe the Wii & the DS for 4th place :)

Can you install the new homebrew channel with the old one or do I have to do the twilight hack again?

Tempest

you should actually be able to install it with your current homebrew launcher. or if you have the basic elf launcher wad installed. just name the elf file "boot.elf" and slap it on your sd :)

this thing is SWEET. man oh man. already there is about 3-4 new homebrew releases out and more on the way. check wiinewz for all the latest stuff.

Exactly how is this one different than the hacked one I already have? If I understand this stuff correctly, the homebrew channel boots whatever .elf file you have in the root directory of your SD card. The homebrew launcher is the nice GUI that allows you to select other applications and whatnot. Does this new homebrew channel do anything different? Does it have a homebrew launcher built in or anything?

Tempest

Exactly how is this one different than the hacked one I already have? If I understand this stuff correctly, the homebrew channel boots whatever .elf file you have in the root directory of your SD card. The homebrew launcher is the nice GUI that allows you to select other applications and whatnot. Does this new homebrew channel do anything different? Does it have a homebrew launcher built in or anything?

Tempest

OMG, it's SOOO much better. first of all, it has banners and sound. But the best thing is, it lists the homebrew games you keep on the SD in the "apps" directory ON the channel display with banners, etc. all I can say is, go see the videos of how it works before you make up your mind. I guarantee you it's leaps and bounds beyond what is out there now.

i installed the Homebrew channel last night to my Wii. It was painless and looks more legit than anything else.

You can install it the homebrew channel via a DVD burn if you have a Modchip installed and the links for the ISO for that are on their website. If you don't have a chipped Wii as I do, then you can also download a boot.elf file that will use the Twilight Princess save hack to install the Homebrew channel to your Wii. Once the homebrew channel is installed, you only have to add and modify the SD card to add apps etc. The homebrew channel can access the SD card and show the stuff to access it. So, you only have to install the channel with the TP hack and should only have to do it once.

I have to admit, playing Monkey Island, The Dig, Full Throttle, and other Lucasart adventure greats on my Wii last night was pretty damn amazing. Even better since the Wii remote is supported in the latest builds!

I have to admit, playing Monkey Island, The Dig, Full Throttle, and other Lucasart adventure greats on my Wii last night was pretty damn amazing. Even better since the Wii remote is supported in the latest builds!

I downloaded all the SCUMM roms (don't worry, I own all the games anyway), and I wanted to play the voice versions of the games (the FMTowns versions), but I'm not sure which files I need. I see a lot of odd voice files (vogg or whatever that odd format is) that I'm not sure if I need or not. Anyone know for sure?

Tempest

I downloaded all the SCUMM roms (don't worry, I own all the games anyway), and I wanted to play the voice versions of the games (the FMTowns versions), but I'm not sure which files I need. I see a lot of odd voice files (vogg or whatever that odd format is) that I'm not sure if I need or not. Anyone know for sure?

Tempest

go to the scumm website for tutorials on how to convert various scumm files and figure out which files and formats you need. I personally ripped my official CDs of DOTT and SAM and created all the files I needed to run in the emulator and they work fine for the Wii version

also, everyone who reads this thread who is using the homebrew channel go HERE:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=87796

people have been busy creating hombrew icons and wiimote capable ports of various emus. I just downloaded all the stuff. It's great to have actual icons instead of blank spaces for things like the wad installers. there is also a new "wad manager" which seems like it could be cool

I tried the "wad manager" today, and although the interface is a little clunky. It sure beats the other methods. Save you the trouble of having to go to the PC twice and it uses the Wii remote as well.

There is a new version of Snes 9x 3.0 that just came out, that is a bit better than the last one.

Now they just need to upgrade all the emu's to properly support savestates on the Wii SD card slot. You would think the people that compile the other versions would just take a peek at the Snes 9x code.

I tried the "wad manager" today, and although the interface is a little clunky. It sure beats the other methods. Save you the trouble of having to go to the PC twice and it uses the Wii remote as well.

There is a new version of Snes 9x 3.0 that just came out, that is a bit better than the last one.

Now they just need to upgrade all the emu's to properly support savestates on the Wii SD card slot. You would think the people that compile the other versions would just take a peek at the Snes 9x code.

yeah I totally agree, there seems to be a disconnect between various emu porters out there. the one thing that I wish they would tackle prior to even save states is this whole thing with the "home" button not working. I know it is a known bug that the "reset" button won't work but the individual homebrews can definitely use the home button to go back to the main menu. some of these things require you to unplug the wii which is a pain.

all in all though, I think homebrew on the wii making tremendous progress and I bet by the end of the summer on in to fall we'll see a great deal of development

hey shannon, maybe you should get on the wii dev bandwagon :) as long as I can be your beta tester :P

lol you obviously have the skillz based on your xbox 1 progress

ok, Mr Thick has another ?

can I run vc games off an SD card with the homebrew channel?

no, not yet anyway, but you can keep track of them a bit better with the "WAD Manager".

That would be nice if they came up with a loader for one time use for the VC games but right now, you can do pretty much that with the manager and the installer/de-installers and they work best in the HBC.

How do I use the WAD manager?

I have installed wad-manager_v1.elf to the root of my SD, and WADs in the WAD file.

I cant get anything on the Homebrew channel.

What am I doing wrong?

I have installed wad-manager_v1.elf to the root of my SD, and WADs in the WAD file.

What am I doing wrong?

you may want to try re-naming the file to "boot.elf" although it should already be named that... where did you download it from?

shannon: you were SO right about the new snes9x... what a great update and it does exactly what I was asking for, it has a return to hbc button and the stability of the wiimote is so much nicer than on any other emulator so far. it really does need to get save states next, you were absolutely right. other devs need to take notice but from what I understand, the wii snes9x breaks the open source agreement and does not include source code so they're really being kind of asshole-ish about it by not sharing. as a result they are sort of blacklisted from the mainstream wii homebrew scene.

meanwhile I can't get the GB/GBC emu "RIN" working at all, it drops wiimote as soon as it sees it and the genny emu is a complete mess with the wiimote.

What am I doing wrong?

you may want to try re-naming the file to "boot.elf" although it should already be named that... where did you download it from?

shannon: you were SO right about the new snes9x... what a great update and it does exactly what I was asking for, it has a return to hbc button and the stability of the wiimote is so much nicer than on any other emulator so far. it really does need to get save states next, you were absolutely right. other devs need to take notice but from what I understand, the wii snes9x breaks the open source agreement and does not include source code so they're really being kind of asshole-ish about it by not sharing. as a result they are sort of blacklisted from the mainstream wii homebrew scene.

meanwhile I can't get the GB/GBC emu "RIN" working at all, it drops wiimote as soon as it sees it and the genny emu is a complete mess with the wiimote.

renamed it boot.elf and put in root of SD card.

Still can't get anything to work in the HBC, when I open up the HBC it detects SD card and says loading from SD, there is a logo at the bottom right of the screen that flashes, but nothing after that.

Am I missing something?