IGNORED

Wii Homebrews

jbanes

Bottom line is, go ahead ahead try out the VC just to satisfy your curiosity but ultimately i think you will find that the emus are the way to go.

Isn't the Homebrew Channel limited to 10 minutes because it's still in Beta? I thought I read that somewhere.

Any links to these emulators? I might just go ahead and do that then.

Tempest

Bottom line is, go ahead ahead try out the VC just to satisfy your curiosity but ultimately i think you will find that the emus are the way to go.

Isn't the Homebrew Channel limited to 10 minutes because it's still in Beta? I thought I read that somewhere.

Any links to these emulators? I might just go ahead and do that then.

Tempest

duuuude, check one of my previous posts above, I gave several links in that. wiinewz and wiibrew

the "official" homebrew channel is locked, the unofficial one is not.

here's what I have on my wii:

SNES9x unofficial wiimote support wad channel, this is on wiibrew in the homebre section as is most everything else you'll want, they list official releases first but in each case typically list any other unofficial release

wad installer channel

wad uninstaller channel

unlocked homebrew channel <-- very very basic, only runs homebrew from SD card, does NOT install channels but this is how I run my NES and Genny emus among other things

once you put the wad channel installer on your wii, you'll never need to run the TP hack again unless you remove them which you should do if you connect to Nintendo online

here, I'll make it super easy for everyone:

go here for all homebrew:

http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Homebrew_apps

for the snes9x go here [linked on page above]

http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Homebrew_apps/Snes9X_Wii

scroll all the way down to the unofficial release :)

by far this is the best emu out there for snes given the classic controller support

wow, there does seem to be a new homebrew channel I hadn't noticed before that DOES install separate channels for each emu but there is a disclaimer at the bottom that says it can brick your wii if everything is not exactly right

http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Homebre...mebrew_Launcher

I'd frankly stay away from that one and wait for the official release

I think the program I'm using is the elf/dol launcher which is much much safer

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

So if you ever want to go online you have to remove the channels? Or is that only if you go to the VC store?

I haven't had time to go through those links yet (hacking and piracy links are a no no here at work), but I've read about two different things and I'm confused. What's the difference between the Homebrew Channel and the Homebrew Launcher?

So if I understand all of this correctly all I have to do is:

1. Borrow a copy of TP and use the hack to install the Wad Install and Uninstall channels.

2. Use the Wad Install channel to install the "unlocked" homebrew channel

3. Get an SD card with the emulators and roms on it

4. Use the Homebrew channel to launch the emulators on the SD card

Tempest

So if you ever want to go online you have to remove the channels? Or is that only if you go to the VC store?

I haven't had time to go through those links yet (hacking and piracy links are a no no here at work), but I've read about two different things and I'm confused. What's the difference between the Homebrew Channel and the Homebrew Launcher?

So if I understand all of this correctly all I have to do is:

1. Borrow a copy of TP and use the hack to install the Wad Install and Uninstall channels.

2. Use the Wad Install channel to install the "unlocked" homebrew channel

3. Get an SD card with the emulators and roms on it

4. Use the Homebrew channel to launch the emulators on the SD card

Tempest

Yep you have it right. I have no idea if Nintendo can see the homebrew wads installed, my guess is they probably can if they want to. I just edited my post above as I believe the program I'm using is not the homebrew channel but an elf/dol launcher which is completely safe. All I can say is, read very carefully all the stuff about each program on wiibrew, they really take a lot of time to break everything down and explain it all.

I personally have two wiis and use one for modding and messing around with and the other is my launch day wii and it is untouched and is the only one I use to go on line with.

If I were you,. I'd go buy a copy of TP just to have it, make sure it's the right version.

If I were you,. I'd go buy a copy of TP just to have it, make sure it's the right version.

Have they fixed the bug in TP already? How do you know what version it is other than booting it up?

Tempest

again, check wiibrew under the TP link and read up on it when you get home.

There are certain versions of the disc that do not work even before the hack was released.

I've been using the above one and have had no problems with it. Only catch is you have to wait about 20-30 seconds before you can press the 1+2 keys to re-activiate the wiimote. :lol:

I've been using the above one and have had no problems with it. Only catch is you have to wait about 20-30 seconds before you can press the 1+2 keys to re-activiate the wiimote. :lol:

yep, a lot of people report no problem, but the warnings for using the software are still in the readme and they must be there for a reason. I'm happy enough using all my emus on my xbox1 but the thing with the wii is the classic controller support and the wiimote for mouse-based emus so I can patiently wait for the official channel release which should coincide with a wii unbricker utility of some sort.

Yep it works perfectly. My favorite thusfar is the SNES9X emu channel with wiimote support. You can use the classic controller too, up to two players. It's very nice and looks as good if not better then the official SNES VC.

I want to use this to inject WAD's of VC games I already own so I can play them on my Wii. There are several games I already own for the Genesis, SNES, and NES that I'd like to play in 480p on a nice big screen, but I don't want to buy them again. I honestly don't see this as piracy since I already own the games (sort of like using MAME for arcade games you already own).

I may also try out the emulators when I get a chance. I'm worried that the new firmware that is coming out soon will kill all of this, but who knows for sure?

Tempest

I don't think you can play them at 480p. I believe only the N64 emulator is upscaling, everything else sends out the same resolution the original systems did. Or so I have been told.

Edited by Atariboy

Yep it works perfectly. My favorite thusfar is the SNES9X emu channel with wiimote support. You can use the classic controller too, up to two players. It's very nice and looks as good if not better then the official SNES VC.

I want to use this to inject WAD's of VC games I already own so I can play them on my Wii. There are several games I already own for the Genesis, SNES, and NES that I'd like to play in 480p on a nice big screen, but I don't want to buy them again. I honestly don't see this as piracy since I already own the games (sort of like using MAME for arcade games you already own).

I may also try out the emulators when I get a chance. I'm worried that the new firmware that is coming out soon will kill all of this, but who knows for sure?

Tempest

I don't think you can play them at 480p. I believe only the N64 emulator is upscaling, everything else sends out the same resolution the original systems did. Or so I have been told.

according to wiibrew on some emus, and the emu channel you can add some sort of ini or config file which dictates the resolution output. although i think it's broken for PAL. I'm positive at any rate that the new slew of homebrew emus for the wii will make use of the 480p upscaling.

I've seen that warning included for every ".wad" homebrew file I've installed, that I bothered to read the documentation. If it even came with any... :lol:

Basically the bottom line is anytime the picture, animation, or whatever it is inside a channel file (.wad file) is edited there is always a chance it will "brick" your Wii. But brick is not really the correct term cause what is really happening is the bad picture data (or whatever it is) is causing the Wii menu to crash.

Sorry, your right. I wasn't thinking and was just talking about the commercial Virtual Console service, forgot what I was reading and the thread I was in. :)

Is what I said correct about Nintendo's official emulators?

The Nintendo N64 emu definitely upscales and it also is not a proper emulator as it needs rom hacks to work correctly on some games. From what I've been reading in the wiinewz forums, it's not much different than the gamecube N64 emu that Nintendo put out for OOT.

I'm not sure about the output on the other VC games. I know my Wii is connected to my Plasma's component input and the old games look really great on there but I couldn't tell you what resolution they output. I do know that the scene emulators will give you control over the output resolution.

Forgot to mention for the .wad uninstaller to work you have to have the .wad files you want to "uninstall" on your SD card. It looks at them to determine the ticket number of the .wad file to remove. It then removes those channels. A bit of a hassle but it is important to remember that. Especially if you "inject" ROMS into a .wad file since the ticket number is usually randomly generated.

Personally I'd stay away from injecting ROMS until they come up with better tools. Right now they are incomplete. Although my guess would be as it is now the NES channel emulators probably provide better sound. Too bad they are so friggin big.... :x

Forgot to mention for the .wad uninstaller to work you have to have the .wad files you want to "uninstall" on your SD card. It looks at them to determine the ticket number of the .wad file to remove. It then removes those channels. A bit of a hassle but it is important to remember that. Especially if you "inject" ROMS into a .wad file since the ticket number is usually randomly generated.

Personally I'd stay away from injecting ROMS until they come up with better tools. Right now they are incomplete. Although my guess would be as it is now the NES channel emulators probably provide better sound. Too bad they are so friggin big.... :x

Yes this absolutely correct and it IS indeed a pain. Another reason why I feel this whole VC thing is not the way to go.

Have you, or anyone here for that matter, tried the homebrew NES emulator yet? I don't see the point until it has classic controller support but I would imagine it would be pretty robust.

Last night I tried out the Genesis emu that was patched by someone to have wiimote and classic support but it was very buggy. When you go to load a rom from the front SD slot it loses the signal from the wiimote and you have to re-establish connection to proceed. Meanwhile the SNES emu is perfect.

I bought defend your castle last night too after seeing it was posted on usenet, so I did download and try it first but loved it so much I bought it on my other Wii with my measly 500 wii points... well worth the cost.

The homebrew NES emulator seems ok but the sound is a little scratchy. So depending on your tolerance for that...

eh, I'm surprised since the GC version was pretty good. oh well, I'm sure they'll get it right over the next year. No rush, the Xbox 1 is doing just fine.

again, it would be superfluous were it not for the classic controller, that's really the only reason to do emulation on a Wii... that and SCUMM

The Wii runs at a higher clock rate and has more RAM right? So there are some advantages to being in "Wii" mode.

I just meant that as far as usefulness as a platform, the only thing that makes it attractive [to me anyway] is the classic controller support and the wiimote for mouse emulation.

we're definitely on the eve of some great wii homebrew breakthroughs... :)

Ok I'm REALLY confused on how to use this.

I used the TP hack to install the homebrew channel (no limit version), now it shows up on my Wii which is good. However I can't find any documentation on what the directory structure is supposed to be to boot the homebrews. I can download things like Scumvm and the SNES emultor, but where do I put the files? Do I have to rename them as *.elf? Do I keep the homebrew channel installer file as boot.elf or do I put a different file there as boot.elf?

I'm really confused here. Any help?

Tempest

Ok I'm REALLY confused on how to use this.

I used the TP hack to install the homebrew channel (no limit version), now it shows up on my Wii which is good. However I can't find any documentation on what the directory structure is supposed to be to boot the homebrews. I can download things like Scumvm and the SNES emultor, but where do I put the files? Do I have to rename them as *.elf? Do I keep the homebrew channel installer file as boot.elf or do I put a different file there as boot.elf?

I'm really confused here. Any help?

Tempest

yep, you have the hardest part done

here's the directory structure:

ROOT:

boot.elf <--- any homebrew game, rename to "boot.elf.

then make two folders in the root:

/roms

/saves

I'm unsure about how to do that with scumm but usually the emus DO have readme files with them that say how to boot them and instead of the TP hack, use the homebrew loader

I also used the SNES9x wad and just have that as it's own channel --- make sure you read any readme files that come with the emus, they should tell you what to do

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

The homebrew channel zip file should have came with the following directory structure..

\Homebrew

\Homebrew\Genesis+

\Homebrew\Rin

\Homebrew\Scumm

\Homebrew\SMS+

\Homebrew\SNES9X

\Homebrew\WadInst

etc, etc. In each directory would be a title.bmp and title.txt file. The emulator should be in it's respective directory and named boot.elf.

The directories you create for the emulators depend on the emulator itself. For example SNES9X needs a \snes9x\roms and a \snes9x\saves directory to be useful.

The homebrew channel zip file should have came with the following directory structure..

\Homebrew

\Homebrew\Genesis+

\Homebrew\Rin

\Homebrew\Scumm

\Homebrew\SMS+

\Homebrew\SNES9X

\Homebrew\WadInst

etc, etc. In each directory would be a title.bmp and title.txt file. The emulator should be in it's respective directory and named boot.elf.

The directories you create for the emulators depend on the emulator itself. For example SNES9X needs a \snes9x\roms and a \snes9x\saves directory to be useful.

That's correct. but I think the one Matt has is just a launcher... I could be wrong. Matt did you get anywhere with this since you last posted? I sent you a PM.

Did you guys see that Bushing got the bricked Wii problem by the tail and came up with a partial solution for NTSC semi-bricked Wiis?? This is a huge step since he has previously stated that once the bricking issue has been solved that he would be releasing the official scene homebrew channel

It's exciting. I really think Wii homebrew is gonna start jumping soon and by this time next year be as great as the PSP homebrew scene.