IGNORED

Wii Homebrews

jbanes

renamed it boot.elf and put in root of SD card.

Still can't get anything to work in the HBC, when I open up the HBC it detects SD card and says loading from SD, there is a logo at the bottom right of the screen that flashes, but nothing after that.

Am I missing something?

in the root of the sd there should be the following directory structure:

/root:

/apps/<-put emu folders here, inside THAT folder is the "boot.elf", icon.png and title.xml

/WAD/

/roms/

etc

additionally, all GameCube memory cards need to be removed.

Thanks to Marks help (and patience) I have got things sorted out now.

Can anyone tell me which are the best emulators to use, and if MAME actually works.

Thanks

I hear MAME works, but the loading is VERY slow, almost to the point of not being usable.

Tempest

Can anyone tell me which are the best emulators to use, and if MAME actually works.

Thanks

I hear MAME works, but the loading is VERY slow, almost to the point of not being usable.

Tempest

Thanks, I just read that too, my Xbox is safe for now then :D

Thanks

Tempest

Thanks, I just read that too, my Xbox is safe for now then :D

yeah, it's painfully slow. I took it off. I think basically I'm only going to use emus that can benefit either from the wiimote or the classic controller, so right now it's scumm, snes, nes, gbc, gba, & genesis. I have not messed with hugo/tg16 yet and the N64 emu is just not far enough along to be worth playing.

Glad you got going their Mimo. Yeah the seemingly lack of documentation for these emulators does not seem to help. :lol:

Anyways the MAME build is actually a linux compile or something like that, so you are actually loading linux as well. Seems odd that file access would be so slow, though.

Hey all. After finishing off the TP hack and installing the HBC, I gotta say this kicks but!!! But seriously, with all the work that has been going in to homebrew for the Wii, there are a few things lacking. The mention of using the USB Geckko adapter instead of the 2 USB ports on the back of the Wii. And noone has hinted to the consideration of using USB hard drives for maximum storage. And what about tapping into the USB and bluetooth support for keyboards that Nintendo themselves added to the firmware upgrades? (this last one might already be there, just haven't tested it myself)

But besides all that, there is one guy that needs to jump into the HBC head first IMHO. If you have never seen this guy before, (but many of you probably have) He is briliant at creating new concepts for Wii hardware. Johhny Lee has designed some very nice implementations using Wii remotes to do some amazing things including sudo 3D VR displaying via head tracking. I think Johnny Lee and the HBC need to be introduced properly.

This is his website for thoes who dont know: www.johnnylee.net or http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/ (the first is the redirect to the second one)

And this is his Wii remote projects page: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

His work uses a standard PC, but for true proof of concept, it needs to work on the Wii natively.

Love to hear what you guys think and how you would enjoy Wii games in 3D VR mode among some of his other ideas..

As Peter Veinkman would say " We HAVE to get these two together."

• 2 weeks later...
anyone dared to update today?

I have 2 Wiis, one is for online official nintendo gaming, and the other for homebrew. The one for homebrew is modded with a wasabii chip and does not go on line and it will never have a system update unless it is cleared by the homebrew gurus

currently the new 3.2 update does some not so nice things to homebrew capability:

http://wiinewz.com/forums/nintendo-news/69...w-doomsday.html

nasty

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/June16_update

Cons:

Kills truca signed discs (no more guitarhero special discs)

kills twilight hack

kills freeloader (no more smash bros or Williams pinball even though I paid for the import!)

kills iso homebrew install

kills unauthorized saves

Pros:

you can now move a Mii from the Mii plaza to the Mii parade in the Mii Channel

wtf

Edited by mimo

nasty http://wiibrew.org/wiki/June16_update

Cons:

kills twilight hack

kills freeloader (no more smash bros or Williams pinball even though I paid for the import!)

kills unauthorized saves

Doh! Guess what I did this morning? :x

Can you explain what you mean about the Guitar Hero special discs? Is this related to the fixed copies of GH3?

I'm also peeved that it breaks Freeloader support. I don't have any Wii imports (yet), but if it's like the GCube, that time will come... I'm not too interested in the homebrew angle at this point. I do care about the ability to import though. Looks like another of my machines is getting update-locked until further notice. :|

Hex.

[ Shouldn't be that depressed about it, but I am. :| ]

nasty http://wiibrew.org/wiki/June16_update

Cons:

kills twilight hack

kills unauthorized saves

Doh! Guess what I did this morning? :x

Can you explain what you mean about the Guitar Hero special discs? Is this related to the fixed copies of GH3?

I'm also peeved that it breaks Freeloader support. I don't have any Wii imports (yet), but if it's like the GCube, that time will come... I'm not too interested in the homebrew angle at this point. I do care about the ability to import though. Looks like another of my machines is getting update-locked until further notice. :|

Hex.

[ Shouldn't be that depressed about it, but I am. :| ]

People are making their own hacks of GH3 with the track listings that they want :D

I'm going to stay away from updates until they have more work arounds. Just in case I have to delete the HBC. Thanks for all of the links in the previous posts. They helped me find the resources to understand what needed to be done in order to run homebrew. Took me a while and a lot of searching to feel I understood it enough to try the TP hack and install the HBC.

El

On a side note... Gensplus and SMSplus were updated to support saves to the SD card!! Although I'm not sure what to think now that Nintendo is actively trying to smother this stuff. Guess I'm glad I still have my xbox. :lol:

The hugo emulator was updated and has WRAM saves to the SD slot, but I'm not sure what that would be for. It certainly does not seem to be save states. Oh and before anyone gets too confused, the reversed the save/load options for the WRAM. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Sure did! It's a lot of fun... much better than running the Twilight Princess exploit. It looks like a legitimate Wii channel, with a very professional look, and it makes it really easy to access all your favorite emulators and applications. As for Nintendo's lockout of the Twilight Princess hack, that won't affect the Homebrew Channel if you already have it installed, and there's word on the street that hackers have already circumvented it. The security is software based and much easier to defeat than the infamous lockout chip in the NES.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel

http://hbc.hackmii.com/

You need to perform the Zelda Twilight hack to add the channel or have a mod chipped Wii

You can run applications such as the wad installer and emulators on an SD card easily using this channel.

However if you have done the latest firmware update 3.3 you have missed the chance to perform the Twilight hack, and cannot install the HBC

just found out that the hackers have found a fix

http://hackmii.com/2008/06/twilight-hack-v01beta1/

Edited by mimo