IGNORED

recomended NES games?

I had a blast playing castlevania III today--it's amazing how much of that game my hands still have memorized. over half of the game on the first try--I even remembered some hidden 1-ups.

I also really enjoyed Super C, Metroid, Ninja Turtles II and dragon warrior 2 (there are 4 of them, but I've only done the first two)

I'm currently thinking of going for a repro of one of the games that didn't come out here. Right now I'm down to deciding between recca pure (an insane shooter) or cocoron (a creative platformer). in the emulators I don't do well against recca--I know emus aren't real, but I don't do well on my other nes shooters either (image fight) for some reason.

Edited by Reaperman

I had a blast playing castlevania III today--it's amazing how much of that game my hands still have memorized. over half of the game on the first try--I even remembered some hidden 1-ups.

I also really enjoyed Super C, Metroid, Ninja Turtles II and dragon warrior 2 (there are 4 of them, but I've only done the first two)

I'm currently thinking of going for a repro of one of the games that didn't come out here. Right now I'm down to deciding between recca pure (an insane shooter) or cocoron (a creative platformer). in the emulators I don't do well against recca--I know emus aren't real, but I don't do well on my other nes shooters either (image fight) for some reason.

I have a dragon warrior game! they are good, but very challenging..

I have been playing abit of Super Mario Bros.2 as of late so i want to recommend it as its fun and different than the other Mario Bros. games on the NES.

Castlevania,Legend of Zelda,Punch-Out and Metroid are classics and are always highly recommend by most.

RPGs wise you will want Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior.

Lightgun games i would say DuckHunt,Hogan's Alley,GumShoe and Freedom Force.

Clash at Demonhead,S.C.A.T,VICE:Project Doom and Rockin' Kats i like these games as they are off the beaten path and i feel can be overlooked by people.

Puzzle games go with Tetris and Dr. Mario.

There are some good arcade ports too like Kung-Fu,Donkey Kong,Donkey Kong Jr and Galaga too so lots of great choices.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to duck hunt, the first game I purchased!

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 3

Metroid

Castlevania

R.C. Pro-Am

Super Sprint

Those are pretty much what I played back in back in the day (high school), when I'd go to friends' houses who all had an NES, while I was still stuck with my pitiful ;) Atari 2600... and my Tandy 1000 computer (which my parents decided to buy for me INSTEAD of the NES).

Oh yeah, Double Dragon too.

Edited by Room 34

Dragon Warrior 3

Blaster Master

River Ransom City

Mega Man 1-6

Ninja Gaiden 1-2

Super Mario 1-3

Double Dragon 1-2

Life Force

Crystalis

Gradius

Journey to Silius

Jackel

Castlevania 1,3

Kung Fu

Duck Tales

Bubble Bobble

Zanac

Rolling Thunder

Little Nemo: The Dream Master

Trog

Arkanoid

Qix

Must-have NES games:

Super Mario Bros. 3

Contra

The Legend of Zelda

Crystalis

Others, very roughly categorized, and with the best games within each category first.

Scrolling shooters:

Life Force

Gradius

Gun Nac

Run-n-gun:

Contra

G.I. Joe

Castlevania series

Mega Man series

Ninja Gaiden series

Shadow of the Ninja

Guerrilla War

Jackal

Elevator Action

NARC

Action adventure/RPG:

Crystalis

The Legend of Zelda

Zelda II

Metroid

Faxanadu

Wizards & Warriors

Kid Icarus

Bionic Commando

Willow

A Boy and His Blob

Spelunker

The Goonies series

Beat-em-up:

Battletoads series

Double Dragon (not an arcade port, oddly, but still very good)

Double Dragon II

TMNT II and III

POW

Puzzle:

Dr. Mario

Tetris

Platformers:

Super Mario Bros. series

Bubble Bobble

RPG:

Dragon Warrior series

Final Fantasy

Racing:

Excite Bike

Super Sprint

Sports:

Tecmo Bowl

Tecmo Super Bowl

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!

Golf

NES Open Tournament Golf

Edited by vdub_bobby

What vdub_bobby said.

I'll also toss in a vote for Marble Madness. The NES has one of the best ports of an already great game. The only thing that could make it better is analog control.

If you like vertical shooters, the NES also has excellent ports of Xevious and Sky Shark.

not many lightgun games. even fewer that are fun IMO

lets see...

duck hunt

gumshoe

operation wolf (this is about the best one IMO, the rest are so so)

hogans alley

i'm sure there are more but i can't think of any. i know that nintendo had a whole light gun series of games. just look for the ones with the light gun series logo on the cart. there were also third party releases too.

Regarding light gun games; I've heard good things about Freedom Force, Laser Invasion, and Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, but I've never played them. Anyone played them; are they any good?

Operation Wolf, I dunno - we played that in the HSC a few months ago, the general consensus was that playing it with the light gun (rather than controlling the cross hairs with the standard controller) was, um, foolhardy:

Picked up the cart on the way home today. The Zapper is complete shit. It can barely fire 2 shots a second with this damn game. If we where gonna play a Zapper game I wish it was Hogans Ally.

:lol:

Edited by vdub_bobby