IGNORED

Most disappointing game you got as a child

AJ_Maine_Man

I remember buying Grand Prix at Skaggs when I lived in El Paso. I though 'this is it?!?!?!' So I took it back and actually told the clerk that I was returning it because I didn't like it....and he gave my money back! Now of course I love the game....I guess I wasnt into those 'timed' games when I was a kid either. I had to 'mature' into it :cool:

when i first got my atari i had 4 games for it

demons to diamonds - i loved this one

haunted house - and i loved this one, as well as the 4th one probably but i cant remember what it was

pac-man - i hated this game with a passion even tho i had never played the arcade version untill after i owned this game, the sound really annoys me

but the one i couldnt play was Zaxxon i played the arcade and colecovision versions and i just couldnt put this game into my atari after playing it once

but i loved any game where you had a time to beat, skiing, barnstorming etc ...

Edited by Lemmi

I think it would have to be Star Raiders. The allure of that controller overwhelmed me into the purchase. Either I just didn't give it a chance or I was a dummy, I hadn't tried it since. I took it back to the store, and they did give me my money back (Hill's).

AX

Wow really? Star Raiders was probably my favorite game as a kid.

Most disappointing to me would be a toss up. As a gift, the worst might be Towering Inferno or Lost Luggage. As a self purchase, probably Space Shuttle, although Swordquest Earthworld would be up there.

I think it would have to be Star Raiders. The allure of that controller overwhelmed me into the purchase. Either I just didn't give it a chance or I was a dummy, I hadn't tried it since. I took it back to the store, and they did give me my money back (Hill's).

AX

Wow really? Star Raiders was probably my favorite game as a kid.

Most disappointing to me would be a toss up. As a gift, the worst might be Towering Inferno or Lost Luggage. As a self purchase, probably Space Shuttle, although Swordquest Earthworld would be up there.

Space Shuttle was one of the high points. Bought it with my own money from the very same Hill's. Lost a $5er on the way to the counter, it was a mixed good/bad day. I played the crap out of that on my Adam with 2600 Expansion Pack #1. That's too funny. Shows you how diverse the gaming public is now and then.

Here's the fun part. That Hills that took so much of my money including my purchase of a 7800, went out of business, and now there is a second hand record shop that sells Atari in there.

AX

Yars Revenge was the stinker for me. The box had crazy cool art on it and I was so excited to play it, my cousin got it for his birthday and when we played it I was very, very thankful that he got it before I did cause the fly on the screen was not the wicked alien I was expecting. Yars is cool and all and it grew on me more as I got older but as a little kid it was the biggest let down atari ever box eye candy suckered me into thinking was gonna be an awesome game.

Never a huge Yar's fan here either though it was ok,

definitely liked it much less as a youngster

and Ive always hated Star Raiders with a passion. :x

Too much to do for a few blips on a spaceless screen IMO.

Maybe I never gave it much chance but It definately makes my Worst Top 10.

Maybe we should do a Worst Top 10? ;)

Edited by Phantom

I can't believe no one mentioned it yet. THe game I waited and begged my parents to buy. It was my first had to have it game. THe one with so much hype and advertising.......... ..\\ Drum roll please......

ET.

I to this day still have no idea what the hell I'm doing in it. Like a cross between Raiders of the lost Ark and monkey brains. Just when you think it can't get any crazier you yawn to fly out of a pit you still don't know how you fell into....

You should seriously read the online manual here OR check out Random Terrain's website. If anything else, check out my YouTube videos on E.T.. E.T. is a seriously FUN game and is one of my favorites for the VCS. Learn to play, give it some practice, and you might change your mind!

I only got about a dozen 2600 games back in the early 80s. I had a few friends that also had 2600s, so I was able to play pac-man & E.T. on their systems, so I knew to avoid them (however, after all these years, I've learned to enjoy E.T.).

I guess the one I got that most disappointed me back then was Jungle Hunt. I enjoyed playing Jungle King in the arcade I was able to visit once a week. Jungle Hunt on the 2600 didn't measure up to that imo. I enjoy the 5200 version though.

Peace

Like most people Pac-Man was the king of let downs, but I would also have to say that Haunted House was another.

:ponder: :thumbsdown: :_(

Haunted House? I love that game. I used to love going room to room and dodging bats and ghosts. A cherished classic for me. I GOT THE KEY! I used to love to say that. [reminising] :cool:

Even though Pac-Man wasn't like the arcade, I thought it would be cool to own. At first it was awesome, then my attention span for it rapidly died. :(

E.T. was another one I played at first, but put it away (permanently) for Space Invaders and Asteroids. Those two games dominated my Atari 2600 time when I was a kid.

Now those games (E.T. and Pac-Man) are a welcome part of my collection. Strange what time does for your patience and appreciation. :)

Steve

Freeway is one that sticks out in my mind. I thought it'd be a nice home version of Frogger (this was before 2600 Frogger was out) but it turned out to be a one-dimensional race up and down the screen and the worse thing was it was TIMED. :lol: I'm a lot more accepting of the game now, but when I was 10.. hoo boy did I think it stank! :lol:

Edited by NE146

Freeway is one that sticks out in my mind. I thought it'd be a nice home version of Frogger (this was before 2600 Frogger was out) but it turned out to be a one-dimensional race up and down the screen and the worse thing was it was TIMED. :lol: I'm a lot more accepting of the game now, but when I was 10.. hoo boy did I think it stank! :lol:

I hated that game...ESPECIALLY because I wasted my money on it.

I like all these diverse answers... funny that some games people loathe others love.

Top disappointents:

Donkey Kong (looking at the Colecovision version devastated me in comparison)

Pac-Man (I was on a waiting list for 6 months and paid $50 for THIS?!?!)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (could never figure this one out)

Timepilot (looks and plays nothing like the arcade)

Sssnake (found out why it was $5 real quick)

Now I wouldn't call these disappointing, but I never understood why people loved them so much:

Barnstorming, Dragster, and Laser Blast... all bored the hell out of me.

(No offense to those who love them - I just never "got it")

Edited by tremoloman2006

Absolutely true. It really depends on what your personal tastes where back then. I was always a major fan of Laser Blast by Activision, for some odd reason I can't explain even to this day. I know it's very "same old", but for some reason it really appealed to me, and I still love it to this day.

Probably Kaboom it was a game i got when i traded a buddy for a bunch of games and it was the only stinker in the bunch.

One of the Best games on the system is Kaboom!

I am starting to think many of the games that we disliked as youngsters is purley based on if we sucked at the game or not. I would never in a billion years think that Kaboom! would make anyones top 10 Worst let alone their least favorite. I sucked at Dragster because I couldnt keep the thing from blowing out for like 6 hours I tried and never made it more than an inch on the screen. I sucked at it and I seriously doubt if I ever went back to try it since the memory of that boring day that was supposed to be fun, it still Haunts me! BOO! LOL

Serioulsy, Dragster is probably loved by many, I suck at it so I hate it!

But Kaboom!? If you have good paddles, this is a challenging game and play it with the lil buckets and then still flip it and then tell me you dont feel like Lord of all Atari when youre done :P

Yes The Mad Bomber rules! So does Warlords as I cant believe that made this list either.

Warlords is the best 4 person game ever IMO. ;)

Cheers :cool:

PS: MOST Coleco games for the VCS sucked because of the graphics like it has been mentioned before and I think it is true, that Coleco specifically made their VCS games crappy so you would go buy the Colecovision and it makes complete sense to me. DK Jr has to be the most disappointing game because you EXPECTED to see something brilliant and fun since we all loved the arcade version right? DK Jr gets my Top slot of most Disappointing after further review.

Edited by Phantom

I'll have to jump on the bandwagon and say Pac-Man. The fact that it looked nothing like the arcade version, that I constantly feed quarters into, really bugged me. That still didn't keep me from playing it a lot though. I guess I thought "it doesn't look right but it's still Pac-Man". :P

Probably Kaboom it was a game i got when i traded a buddy for a bunch of games and it was the only stinker in the bunch.

One of the Best games on the system is Kaboom!

But Kaboom!? If you have good paddles, this is a challenging game and play it with the lil buckets and then still flip it and then tell me you dont feel like Lord of all Atari when youre done :P

Yes The Mad Bomber rules! So does Warlords as I cant believe that made this list either.

Warlords is the best 4 person game ever IMO. ;)

Cheers :cool:

PS: MOST Coleco games for the VCS sucked because of the graphics like it has been mentioned before and I think it is true, that Coleco specifically made their VCS games crappy so you would go buy the Colecovision and it makes complete sense to me. DK Jr has to be the most disappointing game because you EXPECTED to see something brilliant and fun since we all loved the arcade version right? DK Jr gets my Top slot of most Disappointing after further review.

I was never bad at Kaboom it just never interested me for very long I actually liked Eggomania better because you can shoot back! :D

I realize Kaboom is a beloved classic and it certainly belongs on any top ten list but it's just not my cup-o-tea.

I'll have to jump on the bandwagon and say Pac-Man. The fact that it looked nothing like the arcade version, that I constantly feed quarters into, really bugged me. That still didn't keep me from playing it a lot though. I guess I thought "it doesn't look right but it's still Pac-Man". :P

Yeah Pac Man was pretty bad but we didn't have much money when I was growing up and when it showed up with my easter goodies I played the hell outta it, but yes it did stink. :)

I was never bad at Kaboom it just never interested me for very long I actually liked Eggomania better because you can shoot back!

I realize Kaboom is a beloved classic and it certainly belongs on any top ten list but it's just not my cup-o-tea.

No biggie, I just felt a need to defend my all time fav ATARI game ;)

And I still sucked at Dragster but DK jr is way more of a disappointment. I dont think Ive ever played that game on the VCS for more than 20 minutes as my eyes cant take the horror of the graphics.

Edited by Phantom

My biggest disappointment was the classic Asteroids. That arcade was my first experience with video games in general, so it's a special title for me. I was a little wee boy and I was with my grampa in some sort of market. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that beautiful machine. I didn't know what the hell I was doing, but it was fun!

The Atari version sucked. No little chunks of asteroids flying in every direction, ugly-ass colors and sloooow gameplay. I know now it's because the 2600's limitations, but that doesn't change the fact that the game sucked and it was uggly to look at.

So there you have it. Asteroids gets my vote..