IGNORED

Most disappointing game you got as a child

AJ_Maine_Man

No little chunks of asteroids flying in every direction

Very true.... but you know about the "fast asteroids" option right? It was a misnamed variation since all it did was allow some of the smaller Asteroids to fly at a very specific angle (vs. just going straight up & down), but it definitely made you get the closest feel of rocks flying in all directions especially on the later levels when you get a lot of asteroids and start shooting them up :P

And of course now in this day and age we got Thomas' "Sadisteroids" which totally makes the rocks fly everywhere at various weird angles :lol: Not to mention combines my vector graphics hack with some unused code he found which put the remaining ships display up on top. :)

s_Sadistroids_Hack_1.png

Edited by NE146

I was always pretty careful about choosing games but still wound up with a few stinkers.

I wanted Fire Fighter by Imagic really badly. I loved the concept of saving the guy, loved Imagic games like Demon Attack and Dragonfire, and thought the graphics looked great! I had trouble finding the game but one of my friends at school told me about a small electric supply store (you could buy atari games literally everywhere) that carried Imagic games. I talked my parents into driving me across town to buy it and I remember being very excited on the way home. While the graphics were great and I enjoyed moving the ladder and spraying water on the fire, it seemed to me that the fastest way to save the guy was to always quickly get the ladder into position and just run up and grab him. I played it a few times when I first got it and rarely ever played it afterward. They could have had a great game with a little more strategy or different gameplay.

Or maybe I need to give it another chance. I haven't played it since I was a kid so maybe it's better than I recall.

My biggest disappointment was the classic Asteroids. That arcade was my first experience with video games in general, so it's a special title for me. I was a little wee boy and I was with my grampa in some sort of market. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that beautiful machine. I didn't know what the hell I was doing, but it was fun!

The Atari version sucked. No little chunks of asteroids flying in every direction, ugly-ass colors and sloooow gameplay. I know now it's because the 2600's limitations, but that doesn't change the fact that the game sucked and it was uggly to look at.

So there you have it. Asteroids gets my vote..

Play game 53 or whatever the hardest one is on difficulty A, it will kick your ass.

Pac-Man. Far and away. I took it back to the store, and they gave me a refund because it was so bad. (It was a cool store.)

Runner-up - Defender. After Pac-Man, I played Defender enough at the store to find out it wasn't worth buying. Still, after the crash I picked it up for a couple of bucks anyway, and was still disappointed.

Double Dragon, played in at the bowling alley for ages. So after convincing my parents it was a wise purchase I played it for about 10 minutes...

I'm sure its still sitting in it original box in my Mother's attic along side Pac-Man--probably 18 years later.

Pac-Man. Far and away. I took it back to the store, and they gave me a refund because it was so bad. (It was a cool store.)

Runner-up - Defender. After Pac-Man, I played Defender enough at the store to find out it wasn't worth buying. Still, after the crash I picked it up for a couple of bucks anyway, and was still disappointed.

My uncle had Defender...I DO remember enjoying it at the time. My main complaint today is that it is too generous with bonus lives.

I didn't enjoy Pac Man at all. I kept going to the store asking about it....it seems like it took forever for them to release it. Then when I wasn't paying attention...some kid told me about it. Said it was just like the "real" game except you don't have a ball on the end of the joystick. Even for a kid, how wrong can you be? So I bought it and lost my faith.

I'd say all those Swordquest games....I mean, come on, it wasn't designed to be a game, it was designed to be a puzzle for some uberprize (that never came to be...I believe)

But I didn't ever own that till much later. For me, it was (and I know I'll get flak for this)

ET.

Sorry, but while the game is technically beatable, it's just not really any fun...And I have quiet a few truely unbeatable games on the 2600 that I actually enjoy (and even more I like, even though I have no clue what I'm doing) so it's none of that crap. I think it's just the game really isn't that good...go to one screen, find a piece, goto another screen find a piece, goto another screen automatically fall in a hole, get out, find another piece...watch the ship land. (sometimes on the kid, now that was funny)

The anger and disappointment 2600 Pac Man brought to me was truly horrific and scarring.

I understood just how bad it was within moments.

Someone should still be brought to justice for that crime...

I personally feel that they made it suck in an attempt to make people buy the 5200.

SwordQuest was also a super-disappointment for me. Did anyone playtest this piece of crap or was the marketing department just allowed to run wild with no concern for gameplay?

My dad made a big deal of getting pac-man for my brother and I,and we just didn't have the heart to tell him that it sucked.Wasn't it like $65.00 when it first came out?

Same here -- my Dad was all like "we're going to go get Pac-Man today" -- when we got home and played it, I just kept silent about how bad it sucked, because my Dad was all smiles and saying things like "See!?!?! I TOLD you we could get Pac-Man for your Atari"

ahh.... parents... (mental note to self: do not repeat this error with own kids)

I guess I was fortunate in that I first got to play Pac Man at a friend's place. I was not impressed and so I never got it for my own system (though now I have multiple copies).

I was very disappointed with Donkey Kong -- which my Father bought with the console (it included both Combat and Asteroids as pack-ins). This was probably early-1982.

Every new game I got was disappointing, I was young and the box-art was always real exciting looking so that's what I expected. Then I'd pop the game in and see the blocky graphics and want to die.

I think Berzerk was my first disappointment. One of the few games that wasn't so much of a disappointment for me was Raiders of the Lost Ark. It had a lot of depth for a 2600 game. I'm still fond of that one, even though the whip was a fucking dot :D Keystone Kapers and Pac-Man Jr. were excellent too.

I didn't know jack about the systems limitations of course. I still had the Atari whilst everyone else around me was starting to get NES's too. That doubled the pain. 'till I got my C64

Edited by rockfistus

And of course now in this day and age we got Thomas' "Sadisteroids" which totally makes the rocks fly everywhere at various weird angles :lol: Not to mention combines my vector graphics hack with some unused code he found which put the remaining ships display up on top. :)

LOL that's great and hard. Record so far:

Is the UFO in any of the variations? After changing the colors to white, this one is going to cart. Too bad Asteroids doesn't have B&W, so I could do a nice green version too :cool:

• 1 month later...

For me it was probably Space Cavern.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not the worst game by any means, I was just disappointed in it.

My friend and I had rented it one day from the video store near my house.

Space Cavern has a kick ass picture on the front of the box, a description of the game and no screenshot on the back.

After reading the box back our imaginations went wild coming up with what this game was going to look like.

We just knew this was going to be the BEST ATARI GAME EVER!!!!

Needless to say, we were both disappointed.

Hello,

The one game that sticks out in my mind as the most disappointing game I got was "Maze Craze" for the 2600

I remeber looking at the Box art work and thinking that this game was going to be great!!! (I was around 9 at the time)

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?Soft...;ItemTypeID=BOX

I got home and was crushed :(

I forget if we brought it back to the store or if my father sold it in the "Bargin Hunters guide"

Yeah, box art was designed exactly for that purpose,to make the game seem larger than life.That is misleading,but everything is packaged like that.Cant judge a book by its cover,this holds very true for vid games.

Edited by Rik

Defender for me. The initial shock at the disappearing ship and the bad flicker was bad - but I got over that. It was just too easy once you got some practice in. I have to say it got a lot of play time though - I clocked both the score and the wave counter on the toughest variation on diff A (slow ship movement).

It was the only game I was truly disappointed with though.

Edited by davyK