IGNORED

Most disappointing game you got as a child

AJ_Maine_Man

Swordquest: Earthworld here, too! So terrible.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but that's the only one I can remember being disappointed in. I actually liked Pac-Man. Maybe because I was just a little kid at the time. I still think it's an okay maze chase game today, although the other Pac offerings for 2600 are obviously superior.

My friends and I all felt sunk in defeat while playing Donkey Kong when we realized that it only had two levels. We were so excited to see the first red screen, the blue screen with the yellow rivets, then the red again. And then we all gasped when we realized there were no elevators or pies coming.

And also Pac-Man disappointed because it was so different from the arcade.

And Defender, because the ship vanished every time you fired.

But now I especially like Donkey Kong. And I'm no longer as put off by Pac-Man and Defender. However, I prefer Defender II and Ms. Pac-Man.

I do like the fact that Defender kept the little humans that you can catch and rescue.

Swordquest Earthworld :roll: What were the designers thinking when they made that game? I was actually crazy enough to play it long enough to find three clues! They should have designed the game like Raiders of the Lost Ark. A hell of a hard adventure/puzzle game but it could be beat. I think the Swordquest series was as much to blame for the crash as ET and Pac Man.

Alot say Pac-Man,and E.T but i actually liked those two.I would say Apollo's "Final Approach",although its graphics are bright and colourful,Telesys "Coconut"s,and Imagic Cosmic Ark,which i now like! When i first bought it,i tried to return it,by saying it was defective,which of couse it wasnt.I tried telling the clerk the starfield was a defect,which in a way was!,but the clerk didnt bite,he didnt give me a refund or an exchange.

Edited by Rik

The one game that sticks out in my mind as the most disappointing game I got was "Maze Craze" for the 2600

Were you playing it by yourself or with someone? Maze Craze is somewhat playable solo, but it needs two people to make it fun.

What the F##k is going on?,i never posted that,that's Aj_maine_man's quote,post #1,i've never even played the game!?!?Something definatley screwed up somewhere!!!!!!!!!1

Edited by Rik

I had Combat, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Adventure, Star Raiders, Berzerk, Asteroids, and Warlords. I thought they all were great. Then I bought Pac-Man on sale for $30 with my own money. :x After that I gave away my Atari in disgust. When I think back on it, I wonder why I overreacted like that over one bad game after having a run of 8 great games. :roll:

And of course now in this day and age we got Thomas' "Sadisteroids" which totally makes the rocks fly everywhere at various weird angles :lol: Not to mention combines my vector graphics hack with some unused code he found which put the remaining ships display up on top. :)

LOL that's great and hard. Record so far:

Is the UFO in any of the variations? After changing the colors to white, this one is going to cart. Too bad Asteroids doesn't have B&W, so I could do a nice green version too :cool:

Uhh yeah man, just flip the difficulty switch over to A to turn on the UFO's as per normal :P

I was really disappointed in Pac-Man. Some of the other games that most people were disappointed in I actually liked better than the arcade version (at least at the time). When you suck at arcade Donkey Kong, Defender, and Asteroids, but kick ass at the Atari versions, you tend to like the latter :)

This is actually why I like Defender for 2600 so much. Sure, my smart bombs are less useful, but at least I can last more than a few seconds. :)

Superman was pretty much my only real dissapointment back when it was all new and games were full price. I went out and blew months of savings o Superman and Adventure. Superman got played once. Adventure got played every day from 8am until 1-2am for the next week (I had a week off work). Back then I was paying £30 odd per game ($60) when my monthly income was £100 so a new game was a big deal.

The one game that sticks out in my mind as the most disappointing game I got was "Maze Craze" for the 2600
Were you playing it by yourself or with someone? Maze Craze is somewhat playable solo, but it needs two people to make it fun.
What the F##k is going on?,i never posted that,that's Aj_maine_man's quote,post #1,i've never even played the game!?!?Something definatley screwed up somewhere!!!!!!!!!1

My guess is that supercat did some editing while replying to your post #74, and screwed up the attribution when de-nesting.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Oh,yes,forgot to add this one....Atlantis.I could never get into the game,wish i could.The graphics are nice,its just the firing system i cant get used to.I remember seeing it in magazines and thinking man that's a cool looking game.But when i actually played it for the 1st time,it was like thats it?just wasnt as fun as i thought it would be.That game was heavily advertised,and everyone seemed to say it was great.

Edited by Rik

My guess is that supercat did some editing while replying to your post #74, and screwed up the attribution when de-nesting.

Yeah that seems like it,thats okay,everyone makes mistakes,just couldnt see how or why that happened

Atlantis is a great game and it does look nice,,,

To Answer the Question about Maze Craze ,,,,,I did only play the game alone and I think half the problem is I didn't know what the hell was going on. Its my own fault in a way I never would take the time to read the Instructions I was about 9 or 10 yrs old at the time and Maze Craze was one of the first few games I picked out,,,, I was lucky for the first few months we had atari my father would by me a new game every week :) and this was back when they were expensive.

I loved just about every game i got as a kid. Pac-Man and ET weren't as bad in my mind as everyone says they are. I figured out ET without reading the manual and I was only 6 years old in '83. I don't see what the problem is.

Swordquest Fireworld. Now that was a bomb. I picked it up for .99 cents during the crash at Kay Bee Toys and I STILL wanted my money back. I should have bought Tax Avoiders (it was in the same bin) or something instead...