IGNORED

TIP Animator

Just a quick question? How do you guys get such good colors in your animations? The Frog on a Swing, Druid, and Magician animations come to mind... are you fixing each frame in Photoshop or something? I only seem to get decent results in grayscale, colors aren't that great even when I'm using g2f and jakub palettes...

Like TeBe said, the best results bring converting animated gifs and/or fli/flc animations (avis/mpgs may produce something rather unpredictable, esp. those with big loss-compression). Additionally the best pallettes for converting are g2f.act and laoo.act. You can also play with the saturation and brightness mode in TipConv. Note: still not all animations will look good on ataris. Testing them on real hardware is also strongly recommended.

Hello folks,

here are some new animations. Alas, TeBe has not fixed the gfx bug in Version 2xB yet, so its big advantage (no/less flicker) is lost due to gfx garbage. Thats why I am still presenting two versions of each ani, one created with version 2.8 and the other one created with version 2xB...

- Dino: a small ani with 6 frames; thanks to the awful colors, you don`t see much difference of the two ani versions, but as always version 2.8 requires 64k RAM, whereas version 2xB requires 128k RAM...

- Donut: ten frames showing a rotating torus (or simply a donut, ha!). The version 2.8 requires only 64k but has high flicker, the version 2xB requires 128k has less flicker but therefore the not so nice gfx bug...

- Lugnut: another colorful torus ani with 16 frames; version 2.8 runs with 64k and some flicker, version 2xB runs with 128k no flicker and the usual gfx bug...

Hey TeBe, come on - please fix that gfx bug in version 2xB asap !! please please please...

(I kept all the original gif anis, so I can do the tip anis again, as soon as the bug in version 2xB is fixed)

-Andreas Koch.

Hello folks,

attached you will find three new animations I did. Again in two versions, so you can compare the version 2.8 output with version 2xb output... (the pics were the same for each version)... :

DDG 320k: a rotating 3D logo, nice as a GIF ani, sucks as a TIP ani (no matter what tip animator version you use)...

easter3: 64k ani with version 2.8 and 128k ani with version 2xB ( I prefer version 2.8 )

easter4: again 64k ani with version 2.8 and 128k ani with version 2xB ( I again prefer version 2.8 )

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

@TeBe:

- tip animations created with version 2xB still show "Tip Animator Version 2.8" in the title, can you fix this ?!?

- the latest tip animators (version 2.8 and version 2xB) allow one to skip lines, alas this feature is not mentioned in the help text (if one types in "tipanm" without any parameters and presses Return, the help screen appears, but "sl" feature is not shown)...

That`s not a complaint, just a small info for you...

-----------------------

Anyway, here are some new tip animations... If you load the "Logo" animation, try to notice the illusion: look at the ani from one angle and it will turn left, look at it from another angle and it will turn right... nice, eh ?!? -Andreas Koch.

If you load the "Logo" animation, try to notice the illusion: look at the ani from one angle and it will turn left, look at it from another angle and it will turn right... nice, eh ?!?

Yes, interesting, although when turning clockwise (from overhead view) it exibits frames crossing over each other. Like in some Escher artwork. Which is interesting also.

Helicoid animation is good too.

Hmm,

Escher - oh yes, I have some Escher like ani in my collection... and now converted it into a tip animation. And some more animations of course...

- Penrose: you see that impossible Escher triangle and how it really has to be...

- Rainbow cube: a nice cube (consisting of many small cubes) with 256 colors rotating...

- Raymount: some raytracing stuff...

- Raymove: some more raytracing stuff...

- Storm: a storm animation (tornado or hurricane?), included the tip frames, so you can make it faster or slower if you wish...

- Train toon: just a small cartoon animation...

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

Hello folks,

here is a site with dozens of animated GIF`s including physics, mathemathics, engineering, fractals and other topics:

http://www.bugman123.com/

Maybe someone can help me to convert some of these GIF`s into tip animations... so I needn`t convert all of them alone...

In the meanwhile I have created two more animations:

- Rayspin: another raytracing ani...

- Papa Smurf: sleeping Papa Smurf, including the two tip frames (to alter the speed)...

Someone was asking here if a "narrow" screen (or simply a smaller screen) could affect the speed of tip animations. Yes, it can ! Having just converted a b+w raytracing ani, which gave a BAD RESULT, I could at least save this ani as a proof of concept. Meaning, when the b+w raytracing ani fills only part of the screen (50% or less) it rotates fast, when it fills almost the whole screen (more than 50%) it rotates much slower - I did not alter the delay nor set the "fd"option anywhere...

- Raycheck1: the above mentioned b+w raytracing ani...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

just two more animations before I go to bed...

- Raycheck1: 30 frames, now with a smaller / narrow screen, so you can see it is much faster; I hoped it would run with 128k RAM, alas it still requires 320k of memory...

- Raycheck2: 60 frames, could be an old Amiga animation, looks very good on the A8 (I mean version 2.8, since version 2xB shows a gfx bug again); also requires 320k RAM minimum...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

some more animations:

- Agorok 64k: now a 64k version, on the emu use Laoo palette for best color display...

- Belousov: created three versions: a) full-screen 2xB version that requires 320k RAM and is very slow (this was the first try in creating this ani), b) small-screen version with tip animator 2xB that requires 128k (no flicker, faster) and c) small-screen version with tip animator 2.8 that requires 64k (has flicker, fastest); all versions should look best with G2F palette...

- Aporter: another Raytracing animation with originally 38 frames and many spheres, used only tip animator 2xB here, since tip animator 2.8 produced extremely high flicker; version a) uses the original frames 10-28 and version b) uses altered frames 10-28 (cut-off some part from the background and foreground). Both versions requires 320k RAM and are best viewed with Laoo palette on the emu...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

no tip animations from me now, just some GIF animations and a question about them. Look at the four GIF ani examples, they look and animate alright don`t they ?!? Now extract the frames or take a look at the two sample frames I included - believe it or not every frame has a different size... But the GIF ani does not change the size nor do you see any bugs - why ???

If I extract the frames, all of them have different sizes, when I convert the frames into tip pics and finally the tip pics into a tip animation, the tip animation does not look good, it is changing the size all of the time. Again, why doesn`t the GIF animation change the size when all its frames have different sizes ?!? What trickery did they use here...?!?

Attached four GIF animations with rotating 3D objects, look at them and if you know the answer to my question, please tell me (and no, this is not a quiz). Besides, is there anything we can do with these animations, so they look correct on the Atari 8Bit as well (just like in the GIF ani)... ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

Well,

allthough no-one wants to answer my question, I am still gonna post some animations, like:

balloon, bounce, biomorph, betty boop 1, betty boop 2 and drunk little boy.

Last not least there are the above mentioned 3d objects (gif animations) converted into tip animations - and as mentioned above they constantly change the size on the A8 (looks like they zoom-in and zoom-out all of the time). Do not know, how this can be avoided on the A8 (nor how it was done in the gif animation)... so there are:

3dobj1, 3dobj2, 3dobj3, 3dobj4, all fullscreen and thus require 320k RAM each...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

before I delete them...

- drunk boy: a better "greyscale" version of the GIF animation; fully greyscale ?!? well, almost, except the urine, which appears in blue colours/hues (I really do not know why, the PNG frames were greyscale only, the Tipconv also displayed the tip frames in greyscales, but the emu displays some part of the ani in blue)...

- caustics: a simple animation (used the original 70x70 pixels size, since fullscreen tip ani was way too slow)...

- rayglass: a raytracing animation with a glass (usually used for ice-cream) and a glass-sphere in it, rotating; used greyscale, because the colors (G2F, Laoo, etc.) were extremely awful; the bigger ani has 48 frames, the smaller one only 24 frames (both require 320k RAM) and for those interested in the source, I have added the AVI movie...

Yes, some animations look much better in greyscale than in color (since the a8 can produce quite some false colors). Maybe for greyscale animations a "HIP Animator" would be nice...?!? Tipconv 1.0.0 by Epi already allows converting to TIP and HIP...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

after a while... two more tip animations:

- Dance2_64k: I ripped the b+w Avatar from someone at AtariAge and converted the animated GIF into a 64k tip animation.

(Sidenote: I am not sure if Rybags avatar already exists as an A8 animation, so I ripped it too and will convert it into a tip animation sooner or later)

- Nightcity 320k / 576k: found the movie via Google and thought this could give a nice tip animation; alas, the color animation looked quite awful, so I used a greyscale animation instead; the bigger animation uses 60 frames (+2 blank frames) and requires 576k RAM, the smaller animation uses 30 frames (+2 blank frames) and requires 320k RAM... the AVI movie is also attached here...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

My av is kinda flawed.

I had all 27 animation frames of the IM player and a Basic/Asm combo which allowed you to move him around.

No idea how, but I lost it.

And I later discovered a problem with the AV I made - it's probably got 2 or 3 missing frames, so isn't as smooth as it should be. But with sufficient playback speed, it's pretty hard to notice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

as said earlier I have converted Rybags Avatar into a tip animation... and err, the Spongebob tv intro too...

- Jumper 64k: this is Rybags Avatar (GIF ani) converted into a tip ani; alas, the A8 creates some false colors here and fullscreen didn`t look good... so the result is not as good as I hoped it would be...

- Spongebob_Intro 576k: converted the 3 megabytes AVI of the Spongebob tv intro into a 576k tip animation; with fullscreen it was impossible to have the complete intro as tip ani, so I used only 1/4 (80x50 pixels) of the screen and shortened the intro a bit... hope you like it because it was a lot of work to select approx. 160 frames manually from more than 3000 frames and convert them into tip... (if you want a better ani you have to use a harddisk)...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

here are four tip animations I did in the meanwhile...

- Cam_rot: found this via Google, it looks like a rotating church (or some other building); originally with a "flickering" grass at the bottom of the screen; when I converted this into a tip ani it required 128k RAM and did not look good, so I re-painted all 40 frames (filling did not work here, because of various green colours and hues) and converted 35 of them into a 64k tip animation which looks much better now... ani was done with version 2.8 of tip animator (2xb had gfx bugs again)...

- Bleach: found on a nice ani GIF site, allthough this ani has only 7 frames, they are different enough to create high flicker with version 2.8 and 64k RAM, therefore I also used version 2xb (with less flicker!) which requires 128k RAM for this short ani...

- Cavity: looks very nice with 256 colours, the fullscreen version required 320k RAM and was very slow, so I created a small screen version with both version 2.8 and version 2xb which are much faster and require only 128k RAM...

- Tissue: a greyscale tip ani which has a nice 3D effect and runs on 64k machines, tip animator version 2.8 was used here...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

as said earlier I have converted Rybags Avatar into a tip animation... and err, the Spongebob tv intro too...

- Jumper 64k: this is Rybags Avatar (GIF ani) converted into a tip ani; alas, the A8 creates some false colors here and fullscreen didn`t look good... so the result is not as good as I hoped it would be...

- Spongebob_Intro 576k: converted the 3 megabytes AVI of the Spongebob tv intro into a 576k tip animation; with fullscreen it was impossible to have the complete intro as tip ani, so I used only 1/4 (80x50 pixels) of the screen and shortened the intro a bit... hope you like it because it was a lot of work to select approx. 160 frames manually from more than 3000 frames and convert them into tip... (if you want a better ani you have to use a harddisk)...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Wow - that SpongeBob must have taken quite a bit of time to assemble! Shame I cannot run it on a real machine - 320KB is my largest.

Stephen Anderson

Well,

here are four tip animations I did in the meanwhile...

- Cam_rot: found this via Google, it looks like a rotating church (or some other building); originally with a "flickering" grass at the bottom of the screen; when I converted this into a tip ani it required 128k RAM and did not look good, so I re-painted all 40 frames (filling did not work here, because of various green colours and hues) and converted 35 of them into a 64k tip animation which looks much better now... ani was done with version 2.8 of tip animator (2xb had gfx bugs again)...

- Bleach: found on a nice ani GIF site, allthough this ani has only 7 frames, they are different enough to create high flicker with version 2.8 and 64k RAM, therefore I also used version 2xb (with less flicker!) which requires 128k RAM for this short ani...

- Cavity: looks very nice with 256 colours, the fullscreen version required 320k RAM and was very slow, so I created a small screen version with both version 2.8 and version 2xb which are much faster and require only 128k RAM...

- Tissue: a greyscale tip ani which has a nice 3D effect and runs on 64k machines, tip animator version 2.8 was used here...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Cavity looks awesome on the real machine.

Stephen Anderson