IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

Atari Pro System High Score Competition

“Helm to navigation.”

“Navigation, go ahead.”

“We've got visual on some kind of debris, could you investigate?”

“Roger.”

Seconds later... “Red Alert, we are under attack. All hands man your battle stations. This is not a drill.”

“Navigation to hlem, that debris is a field of Asteroids!”

This week's game:

Atari's Asteroids

Difficulty: Both switches in the B position, one player standard

Recommended Controls: CX-40 Atari joystick. Asteroids has compatibility issues with third party 2600 joysticks. You must boot it up with either a Pro Line or a CX-40, then switch sticks once the game has loaded.

Challenge:

CHANGED: I'm going to post my high scores from the Expert level Playing on the Intermediate level, try to beat the highest score I've posted while I'm playing Expert.

Congratulations to Dauber for meeting the challenge in Pac-Man Collection!

Next week we're back to Pac-Man Collection! Someone suggest a variation and some settings, i.e., plus mode on or off, random mazes, etc. Mix it up for us, then post your suggestions with an Asteroids score.

The HSC is now running Tuesday to Tuesday. The deadline is midnight CST Tuesday leading to Wednesday. The next week's game will be posted Tuesday evening, giving players an overlap of a few hours.

New records:

godzillajoe: Joust 149,850

Last week's fastest feet:

1. mightymage 148,830

2. Dauber: 105,670

3. godzillajoe 53,910

4. acousticguitar: 32,010

5. LarcenTyler 31,780

Deep Space Survival:

I'm not sure how this port of Asteroids handles the UFO/last asteroid situation. Isn't it more like Asteroids Deluxe?

Anyway, here's a couple of pointers.

One, lose the Pro Line for this one. Use a CX-40 instead, and hold it so you can tap the fire button with your fingers. RSI stick users may not have the compatibility issue, depending on how the RSI stick was built. If you've got one, use it.

Two, pump as much ammo into a single rock as you can. Try to destroy it completely before going after another rock—this minimizes the number of tiny asteroids on the screen.

Three, don't forget about your hyperspace. Sure it's probably gonna get you killed, but if you're trapped in between three asteroids and an alien ship, you don't have much left to lose.

Fourth, learn to use the thrust. It can save you a lot of grief when things get tight, since you can move from open spot to open spot, blasting rocks all the way.

Edited by shadow460

13,420 as a first try.

Those tiny UFOs have damn good accuracy when you're just trying to sit there and hunt them.

Had one tiny asteroid in a really slow orbit that was almost straight across and was just gonna sit there and pick off UFOs all day.

Didn't quite work out. :D

Edited by godzillajoe

The UFO thing was just an experiment.

I never actually play that way

It sucks all the fun out of the game.

I don't need to win the HSC that badly to sit there for hours waiting for UFOs and picking them off

More fun to blast stuff and have it get a little crazy

Just hit 28,030 on the absolute hardest setting known to man. I was using a CX-40 and my thumb simply wore out to where it would no longer work.

I forgot to add another tip: When you're facing certain death, you have a single option to hyperspace, and that's to turn to the asteroid and blast it. You may have another asteroid bearing down from another angle, so hit the first one just once to send the fragments off in different directions, then turn to the next one. Spin and shoot like this as necessary to break up all the threats, then just mop up.

So how are we doing?

I'm going to change the challenge. If you can beat my high score on the intermediate setting, then you win the challenge. I'll be playing on the Expert setting with both difficulty switches in A (in case that matters) to set my highs, and you guys play the challenge on intermediate.

Fair?

My current high is 32,730.

68,100 is my score. I'm not the greatest at the 7800 version I'm more a 2600 asteroids guy. I'm sure someone is gonna come along with a massive score in the 6 digits soon no doubt.

EDIT: This score was achieved on standard settings don't know if that is what I was supposed to be playing or not and I have no clue what my difficluty switches where on.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Difficulty switches do nothing in the game so it doesn't matter.

I assume we're playing on Intermediate level which is the default when you power up the system

oh sorry about that. Don'y worry about my score then cause I won't have time to sit down to play agian in time (I don't think so anyhow).

I just can't break 30k on this game!

Grrrr :x

EDIT: Finally, 30,760

1,970 more points to go to beat the new challenge...and I'm going to try to set it higher... :evil:

Yep, did it...36,750. Expert level, switches (if they matter) in A.

Edited by shadow460

59,980 on intermediate.

I will say, however, that I could SWEAR that if I switch the difficulty from B to A that the asteroids move noticeably faster....or is it just coincidental that every time I do that, that happens????

I will check it when I get home from Lake O tonight. I used to play with at Expert B, and I just assumed my troubles with the game were due to a lack of practice.

Looks like I have games to play, lest Dauber shows me up this week.

EDIT: It does appear that the switches make the rocks move faster, and possibly start in different positions. I do not think they change the number of rocks, however.

With this in mind, Shawn may have played a little harder version, but he definitely would not have had any advantages.

As I see it, his score should stand.

Edited by shadow460

Atari Pro System High Score Competition

It's your last quarter. You've been gobbling dots, eating ghosts, and running rampant for the last hour, feeding the Ms. Pac-Man machine quarters the whole time. Suddenly lightning flashes and thunder booms outside. A power outage looms, yet you still keep playing. A bolt of lightning hits the arcade and courses directly into the Ms Pac-Man machine, sending you reeling backwards into Revolution X. You peel yourself off of Aerosmith's likeness and cautiously walk back to the Ms Pac-Man machine.

The mazes have changed, and the fruits have changed into things like soda cans and martinis. Miraculously, the game have reset and given you five brand new lives! You play on into this new game, the beginning of the ultimate Pac Man Collection!

This week's game:

Pac Man Plus's Pac Man Collection!

Difficulty: Both switches in the B position, Ms Random Mazes, fast mode, plus mode, five lives, cola can level

Recommended Controls: CX-40 Atari joystick.

Challenge:

Score more points that Pac-Man Plus this week. If no one tops his score, then Pac-Man Plus wins the challenge. Git to gobblin'!

Congratulations to Shawn Sr. and Dauber for meeting the challenge in Asteroids. They beat my high scores to earn bragging rights. Challenge was to beat 36,750 points, and they did.

This will probably be the final week of Pac Man Collection. I'd like to know how many of the members have light guns and access to the games that use them.

Next week will be a toss up between Ballblazer and Mario Bros. If you have a preference, post it with your score.

New records:

godzillajoe: Joust 149,850

Last week's craziest pilots:

1. Shawn Sr.: 68,100

2. Dauber: 59,980

3. godzillajoe 30,760

4. LarcenTyler 13,550

Maze map:

Once again, try to clear a roughly square section around the playfield.

Remember that you essentially have six energizers per board. Use the bonus items to help you clear dots out of a particular area, and use the standard energizers to score bonus points by chasing ghosts.

Edited by shadow460

53,810 (I wish they still sold this cartridge!)

By the way, I think Mario Bros. would be better because that has more of a traditional scoring system, while BallBlazer can easily be won if you 'shut out' your opponent, which means a lot of people could get high scores easily.

Edited by LarcenTyler