IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

Oh no, Pole Position. But I was just on my way to stop fun things from happening.

Oh no, you ain't, you're playing POLE POSITION!

For my first score, I'd record it as a DNF, sadly. But I'm just getting warmed up! Also, here are my personal tips from my own guide for this game, which you can read on GameFAQs.

FUJI SPEEDWAY:

After you start, slow down as you head into the first right turn, then shift into high gear as you exit. The second and third turns (left and right, respectively) can be taken easily if you ease off the gas for them.

After coming out of the third turn, immediately shift into low gear, as the hairpin curve is coming, and if you attempt to go through it too fast, you'll crash into a roadside sign. As soon as you come up on the sign on the right while doing the hairpin curve, shift into high gear again, and you should be able to come out of the curve without losing too much time, but watch out for other drivers!

After that, you'll go into a long right turn that seems to ease out slightly before curving again, which eventually will lead you to the home stretch, where you can floor it again. While taking the long right turn, stay on the inside of the turn as much as you can.

SUZUKA RACEWAY:

After you start, you'll go into a long right turn, and then a left-right-left-right set of turns, with the last turn being a real doozy, so make sure you shift gears as you come out of the second left turn.

After you take that, another hard left will be coming up, so be ready, followed by yet another hard right. Then be ready for a left hairpin curve. After that, you'll ease out into a brief straightaway, before you have an easy left go into a medium right hand turn, and finally the finish line!

post-1653-1165852730_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

Oh no, Pole Position. But I was just on my way to stop fun things from happening.

Oh no, you ain't, you're playing POLE POSITION!

My favorite part is when the giant hand drops their car and it explodes. For some reason that seems even meaner than dropping them into a deadly car race.

Hey, is it possible to get the next three weeks worth of choices in advance somehow? I'm going to my hometown for Christmas break and am bringing the 7800 with me, but don't want to bring all my games. I see that Joust is next week, so I'll pack that in. Any idea what the others will be yet?

Hey, is it possible to get the next three weeks worth of choices in advance somehow? I'm going to my hometown for Christmas break and am bringing the 7800 with me, but don't want to bring all my games. I see that Joust is next week, so I'll pack that in. Any idea what the others will be yet?

the other new game i got in the mail was tower toppler ;)

I'm actually not sure what to do during Christmas. Joust is gonna be next week, but I was considering a sort of "instant replay" between Christmas and New Year's. Basically, we'd spend about a week and a half playing the games we did best at this season and post some record scores.

You could take a handful of the games we've played and set some new high scores.

After New Year's, we'll run Tower Toppler and follow it up with something like Xevious or Asteroids.

You guys get to decide, though. If you wanna have the replay competition, we'll do it, otherwise we'll keep the normal schedule and the next two weeks will be Joust and Tower Toppler. For that third week, post some suggestions.

I'm actually not sure what to do during Christmas. Joust is gonna be next week, but I was considering a sort of "instant replay" between Christmas and New Year's. Basically, we'd spend about a week and a half playing the games we did best at this season and post some record scores.

You could take a handful of the games we've played and set some new high scores.

After New Year's, we'll run Tower Toppler and follow it up with something like Xevious or Asteroids.

You guys get to decide, though. If you wanna have the replay competition, we'll do it, otherwise we'll keep the normal schedule and the next two weeks will be Joust and Tower Toppler. For that third week, post some suggestions.

I'd like a replay over Christmas because I've topped my Galaga and PacMan scores since we dd those. Also, if holiday related things stop me from playing much, I wouldn't mind as much if it were the games I'd already listed scores for.

Edited by Atarifever

First off, shadow mentioned the tidbits about the Fuji Speedway and the Suzuka Circuit, but I thought I'd share some info about the Seaside Track and the Test Course.

The Test Course is said to be based on the Indianapolis 500 course, yet the background clearly shows pyramids and the ground shows sand instead of grass. Weird.

The Seaside Track is based on the Long Beach Grand Prix course in Long Beach, California.

Also, the manual mentions that the Suzuka Circuit is in the midst of a travelling carnival, but that's actually Motopia, the track's famous amusement center.

Now, the moment I've waited for. A score that I can say I got after winning the Grand Prix!

(Alas I veered off course just as I crossed the line!)

post-1653-1166065409_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

Atari Pro System High Score Comeptition

Saddle up your ostrich, Knight. The Buzzard riders have issued a challenge that we cannot lose. We'll duel them over a lava pit on a remote world. Show them who is best, for this week, thy game is Joust.

This week's game:

Williams Electronics's Joust

Difficulty: Intermediate, one player, switches in the B position

Recommended Controls: CX-40 Atari joystick

Challenge:

Log a team game where both players score over 50,000 points.

Congratulations to jwierer and Dauber for meeting the challenge in Pac-Man.

Starting Dec 22 at midnight, CST, we will have an "instant replay" of the games we have played. That will be your opportunity to beat high scores youve logged in this competition, and perhaps to unseat the leaders for each game!

This includes Beef Drop and Pac Man, so those who played the first two weeks also have the chance to top thier records as well. You do not have to have posted a score to play a particular game in the replay. The only requirement is that you play something we've run in this season at the difficulty settings we used.

This is also your chance to beat the challenges if you haven't done so already.

Last week's fastest driver:

LarcenTyler: 68,250 points.

I generally try to start at the top of the screen and work my way down during each wave. You can score a couple of cheat hits by hovering over the uppermost spawn point at the beginning of each wave. I don't worry about the eggs much, since half the time they fall into the lava pits.

What, I was the only one who raced last week? Wow.

At any rate...

o/~ Everybody was ostrich fighting!

Those birds were faster than lightning! o/~

(Sung to Kung-Fu Fighting, and no I don't claim ownership of those parody lyrics, I heard them somewhere.)

At any rate, I'm just getting warmed up. Expect a better score later.

post-1653-1166290816_thumb.jpg

I raced a couple, but it would have looked awful strange to see the Minolta Toyota where the Pole Position II car should be...

Actually, I played a couple of rounds of Pole Position II. I don't post my scores to the 7800 HSC board, since I feel like that would be unfair, but I do play the current 7800 HSC game each week. I play the 2600 and NES ones, too, if I have the actual carts.

I raced a couple, but it would have looked awful strange to see the Minolta Toyota where the Pole Position II car should be...

Actually, I played a couple of rounds of Pole Position II. I don't post my scores to the 7800 HSC board, since I feel like that would be unfair, but I do play the current 7800 HSC game each week. I play the 2600 and NES ones, too, if I have the actual carts.

PhotoShop much? ;)

Hey guys, 136,050 1 player. I'm sure that's easily beaten, but do we need to provide a picture?

Thanks,

Matt

we go by the honor system bro

Awesome. Thanks guys!

There were 3 buzzards on the screen at once today. I nearly crawled into a fetal position on the floor from pure catatonic fear. It was intense!

Anyone have any tips on killing the buzzards?

Hey guys, 136,050 1 player. I'm sure that's easily beaten, but do we need to provide a picture?

Thanks,

Matt

we go by the honor system bro

Awesome. Thanks guys!

There were 3 buzzards on the screen at once today. I nearly crawled into a fetal position on the floor from pure catatonic fear. It was intense!

Anyone have any tips on killing the buzzards?

The pterodactyls? I just get out of their way since the only way to kill them is a lance in their mouth which is next to impossible. They're not worth the risk for a measly 1000 points if I remember correctly.

The pterodactyls? They're not worth the risk for a measly 1000 points if I remember correctly.

There's honor man. You can tuck tail and run like a coward or you can tell that pterodactyl that it should have stayed extinct. I hate the pterys with an undying passion, so I have to try for them most of the time. In the same way, I always have to take shots at Otto in Bezerk or the Hallmonsters in Venture.