IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

but there is a survival bonus after the survival (or something like that) wave...... :ponder:

Yep. The NES version is without survival bonuses I think, not this one.

I got 50,850 today. I played the Hell out of this thing a couple years back. I only had this and three other games for the 7800 for the better part of 2 years, so it saw a lot more of my time than the ones I've gotten lately. Haven't played in awhile now though.

Edited by Atarifever

Been busy the last couple of days, but tomorrow I will find the time to post up the Instant Replay that will run through New Year's.

I hope everyone is having a great Christmas. My family held their Christmas party today and I just got back into town from that.

Scores from any game we've played will be accepted into the replay, try and beat your high scores.

7800 High Score Competition Instant Replay

From December 23 to January 5th, we have the chance to go back, visit games we've played, and set new high scores.

Here's a lits of the games we've played:

Homebrew Week 1: Beef Drop (final version) Top Chef was jwierer with 335,700 points

Homebrew Week 2: Pac-Man (final version) Best Gobbler was Dauber with 92,400 points

Week 3: Food Fight godzillajoe had the fastest feet

Week 4: Dig Dug godzillajoe dug the deepest with 345,040 points

Week 5: Galaga godzillajoe was the sharpest shooter with 167,610

Week 6: Frogger Dauber was the fastest frog with 14,000 points

Week 7: Robotron 2084 Dauber was the best Robotron soldier with 695,425 points

Week 8: Pole Position II LarcenTyler was the fastest driver with 68,250 points

Week 9: Joust PsychadelicShaman was the Ostrich King with 136,050 points.

Here is the scoreboard for Joust:

1. PsychadelicShaman 136,050

2. Atarifever 50,850

3. PressureCooker2600 40,850

4. godzillajoe 40,600

5. LarcenTyler 12,000

The challenges are also re opened for play, so if you didn't beat them the first time, now is your chance. I've also added two brand new challenges to the list.

Beef Drop (new challenge!)--Clear eight screens.

Pac-Man--Reach the first key level on the game's alternate maze as pictured in the Pac-Man thread.

Food Fight--earn five instant replays.

Dig Dug--Roll the score.

Galaga--Score 800,000 points and have 100% shooting accuracy.

Frogger--Finish ten screens.

Robotron 2804 (new challenge!)--Score over 1.2 million points.

Pole Position II--Finish a race on Fuji Speedway.

Joust--play a two player game and have both player score at least 50,000 points.

I'll check back and post both upated scores and challenge winners. Only two people, jwierer, and Dauber, have beaten any of the challenges.

Everyone have a great holiday, and we'll get back to our regularly scheduled programming with (insert YOUR game selection here) once Santa is safely home and the fireworks have cleared.

Edit: 149,850

post-1544-1167338305_thumb.jpg

Hints:

On egg waves start at the top right and run to the right, you can make the lower ledges by just dropping and momentum, no flapping necessary for the most part, just slam on the brakes when you need to

On levels where the top middle ledge is there, hover above it and drop as soon as a guy start materializing, you can pick off a couple of enemies before they even know what hit them if you time it right

On levels where the middle is clear, starting at 6, stand on the higher of the double ledge on the right middle. For a few waves, the red enemies that materialize in the middle will attack you at a height where ONE flap will kill them if you flap just before they get to you. You can pick off three or four of them at the beginning before you have to move and get the rest. The grays seem to take 2 flaps at least some of the time. This is also the best place to kill a Ptery as they will more or less fly into your lance if you plan it right.

On ANY level, hover over a place where guys materialize and drop down on then before they can fly away. This REALLY helps keep the number of them down to a reasonable level.

Eggs that are caught in the air before they touch a platform in any way are worth more

Learn how the Pterys behave and you can kill them or avoid them. This comes in handy when there are more than one of the bastards chasing you.

You can't outfly a Ptery so knowing how they behave is the key to surviving them

Edited by godzillajoe

• 2 weeks later...

Special thanks to Albert for all his hard work this last month!!!

Atari Pro System High Score Comeptition

Time to overthrow an empire, friends. This mission will have you up against gravity, bouncing eyes, and poison seas. Your job is to reach the top of eight different towers, each one before your time runs out. It's up to you to knock down the enemy's power grid. Will you be able to beat the clock? Do you have what it takes to earn the title of Tower Toppler?

This week's game:

US Gold's Tower Toppler

Difficulty: Both switches in the B position

Recommended Controls: Pro Line joystick

Challenge:

None posted.

Congratulations to jwierer and Dauber for meeting the challenge in Pac-Man.

Our instant replay challenge has ended. godzillajoe has posted a new record for Joust with 149,850 points, and he's got some excellent Jousting tips in the Instant Replay thread. Take a read and improve your skill with one of the best 7800 games around.

I need a little more input. April's a couple months closer now, and particiaption here does drop during the summer. What I'd like to do is retain a game of the week or game of the month for discussion. That's not the pressing issue, though. I still need game suggestions. We may spend a couple more weeks with Pac Man Collection, and we've missed the DK/Mario titles. I'd like to give Pac Man until the last week of January to arrive in everyone's homes--perhaps we'll run some Mario goodness between now and then. Or we could play Karateka...

New records:

godzillajoe: Joust 149,850

Hints and Tips:

Tonight was my first ever experience with Tower Toppler--it's been sitting CIB in the closet for over a year. You'll have to help each other out with tips *hint, PressureCooker2600*

I couldn't get my screenshot off in time, so I had to take my picture at the high score screen. My initials are LET (Larcen E. Tyler, get it?)

Ironically enough, my first score is 7800. ;)

Some things to remember:

-You can't jump straight up. When you press the button while tilting the joystick in any direction, you jump in the direction you're facing. Let off the joystick and press the button to fire. You can play with an Atari 2600 joystick if you're uncomfortable with a Pro-Line.

-Take note of traps, including disappearing floors.

-Getting hit by an enemy doesn't mean you're out, it means you're down a couple levels. You only lose a life if you fall into the water or run out of time. On the subject of time, you usually have plenty of time to take on each tower, but don't dawdle, as you'll find that time runs down quickly.

-This is a very difficult game, so be patient and don't give up!

post-1653-1168192757_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

TT came with the system I bought from Breakpac not too long ago; not only have I been busy playing Pac-Man Collection!, but I also took a pretty unneeded, unwise trip to the local retro video game store and got MORE 7800 stuff, so all that's been distracting me. :)

Special thanks to Albert for all his hard work this last month!!!

Atari Pro System High Score Comeptition

That mean old gorilla has kidnapped Mario's girlfriend again! It's up to you to guide Mario through the maze of steel structures and catch that pesky ape. It won't be easy, since the ape is mad. He rolls barrels and sends springs and fireballs toward you. As if that isn't bad enough, one bad step and Mario falls to his death. This week, you have to outwit Donkey Kong!

This week's game:

Nintendo's Donkey Kong

Difficulty: Both switches in the B position, standard difficulty.

Recommended Controls: CX-40 Atari joystick

Challenge:

Beat 200,000 points

Congratulations to jwierer and Dauber for meeting the challenge in Pac-Man.

Next week we may do DK Jr or Mario Bros. If you've got Mario Bros, post a note of it with your score. I know some folks are still waiting for Pac Man collection, so we may go for Ms. Pac Man in the mean time. If you've got other suggestions, let's hear 'em! (Otherwise it's Karateka...:evil:)

New records:

godzillajoe: Joust 149,850

Last week's faster climber was Larcen Tyler with 7,800 points.

Hints and Tips:

Note that there are certain places you can stand with the hammers in the first board that will allow you to hit barrels without having to move around.

Also, in the third board, don't trap yourself on the sides while you have the hammer. Instead, grab the hammer before breaking any of the bridges, then move to the middle of the platform where you can reach more fireballs.

On the second board, there are safe spots at the top to avoid getting hit by the springs. I don't grab all the trasures on the second board, since you have to jump to a platform that gets pummeled by the springs to get the last treasure.