IGNORED

Anyone think Ballblazer is possible on the 2600?

An awesome project to be sure, but to be straight and to the point - I like some of the older playfields better. They had a nicer feel to them. I'm personally not too concerned with staying "authentic" and period-memory-size-correct and all that.

It will look better when the gamelogic is included. It is not only about authentihc, but more about keeping things simple and creating only what you really need.

If you want to stick to the original limits, you can't go above 2k.

I don't know about that. Although the first games were only 2K, the machine was designed for 4K cartridges. You could even say that 2K cartridges were abnormal to the design, since one of the address lines on the cartridge had to be specially hardwired so the machine would take a 2K cartridge without choking. :)

Let me phrase it another way, back in the day there were a few things from Activision, CBS, Starpath, and others; that added some kind of hardware to do a few special tricks and instructions or add some memory.

There is no reason why an arm processor or dedicated FPGA or some modern day chip can't be made to act like it was designed in the 1980's; with the express purpose of adding a few instructions or memory or something.

To me, the cartridge slot was all about expansion, whether it be software Game Programs, or more advanced hardware.

• Like 2

You did the hard part: The best horizontal scrolling —three color clock accuracy — vertical scrolling playfield using only the Background color!

The game is the easy part: Two player soccer, although in "2D-3D"

Kills me to know that this fun game with so much "wow factor" was programmed as a quick demo game test!

My favorite parts were the buzzing and pushing the ball from your opponent, shooting without seeing the goal posts and scoring, the fact that when you get the ball you automatically face the other's goal posts, the music, and because I bought the A800 floppy disk, the animation playing while the game loaded from disk. Also I like how it doesn't have a number score, just a countdown timer and arrows for goals (difficulty based).

The parts I didn't like about BallBlazer was if you were playing another person, you couldn't handicap your game play to keep it fair. I would easily beat friends who hadn't played it much.

Keep the game simple, and the options complex.

Ideas:

Allow bumping ball from opponent? Y/N

Allow diagonal shots to goal? Y/N

Craft Speed? Slow / Medium / Fast or numerical

Shot Strength? Weak / Strong or numerical

You did the hard part: The best horizontal scrolling —three color clock accuracy — vertical scrolling playfield using only the Background color!

The game is the easy part: Two player soccer, although in "2D-3D"

No never programmed for the 2600, did you? :)

The kernel is the most interesting part. Usually creating a challenging kernel is a lot of fun. But finalizing a game around this, that's the Hard WorkTM.

• Like 1

I second that. The engine might be the technical marvel, but the game-design is what takes the extra hours.

80% of a game is done in 20% of the time (or even 90:10).

I have half a dozen (come to think of it, its closer to a full dozen) engines written without finding the time/energy/motivation/interest to finish them into a polished, tested and tuned game.

That's also why there are SO many ports these days. At least the major issue of proper game-play design is skipped then.

So for this endeavor I wish you all the momentum it needs :)

• Like 2

I second that. The engine might be the technical marvel, but the game-design is what takes the extra hours.

This is a game that's already been designed, though, 30 years ago. It's not game design, per se, it's cramming an existing design into 128 bytes of RAM, 76 cycles per line, etc. Ballblazer on the 2600 is both a port and a demake.

I agree that the most gratifying part of writing a 2600 game is getting the kernel going, which is why my own lame attempt at a Ballblazer clone never really went anywhere after that (I never even got as far as things like ball or rotofoil scaling). But there was no game design to do, and frankly, Ballblazer's actual gameplay is so basic that it was tedious to implement. Not hard, just tedious. Gameplay-wise, it's a tarted-up Pong variant where your paddle can move across the whole field and the goals move. It was way more fun as a tech demo than as a work-in-progress game.

For me, the remaining big, interesting challenge in Ballblazer, after prematurely giving up on making it look like what Roland eventually did -- I was using cheats like pre-rendering 8 frames of playfield in POVray and resizing down to 40x50, minus the horizontal lines which I implemented with hand-computed lists of color swapping intervals, but it never got smooth enough for my liking and then a douchebag from this forum made an empty legal threat over Pac-Man which cemented my burnout -- was implementing the procedurally generated music with only 2 voices.

I did like the solid, larger, partially anti-aliased playfield of the 32K version much better than the 4K version, but props to Roland for overcoming burnout and starting fresh.

Oh damn! I kinda missed that it turned into 4k.

I am all into that!

If its for the A2600, then it better be 4K (imho).

Limit yourself to that and you have less issues with huge amounts of gfx to be designed ;-)

Oh and yes, much more time spent on coding I think but well, that's why we're doing this after all I guess...

All the best for this new approach!

And yes, as I mentioned, many things can be skipped when doing a port of some sort.

I now have put the physics engine back in (acceleration, friction and rotofoil>border collision). This is the optimised version which is a little bit less precise but still very good. I also gave the border some nice colors because the kernel is able to draw different colored tiles :) And I changed the first line of the checkerboard kernel a bit so more tiles are shown. I also optimised the code a bit so it occupies less rom.

Still 2517 bytes free so far. It's now time to show the rotofoil again.

ballblazer 20130829.bin

ballblazer lite 20130829.zip

post-15728-0-42247500-1377806797_thumb.png

Edited by roland p
  • Like 2

Looking much better! Questions:

1- is the friction the same in all directions? Because I sense that the rotofoil comes to a quicker stop when it is/was moving in the backwards or left directions. When moving forward or right, it seems to coast a little longer.

2- What do you think marketing plans are for this? I mean cartridge? or rom? Both?

3- in layman's terms, what are those diagonal black lines?

• 10 months later...

Even though I've been "out" of the hobby for the most part, there are a few long projects I've wanted to follow along, and this is one of them. The updates trailed off last year. Is this still going to be finished?

Wow, time really flies... Another year has passed. I remember I was very busy a year ago working (every holiday I had to take my laptop with me) and I still am. When I have some spare time I'm not very motivated to work on ballblazer... But it is also a shame to say the project goodbye. In august my oldest son turns 6 and that's how I remember the length of this project :D

IF I continue, it will be the lightest kernel I will continue with. See previous 'lite' binary. KISS is what I've learned from these ballblazer kernels. Everything that looks better that the simplest will consume more RAM, Cycles etc. Also, the simplest kernel fits best 'in my head'.

• Like 3

This is the ultimate "should not be possible" game for Atari 2600!

Since you have shown the impossible, I hope you find the motivation to continue.

I know us consumers and gamers are interested!!!

I wish other assembly programmers were just as interested, and that a "team" could work on it together like Stay Frosty 2 and Star Castle Arcade.

• Like 1

My wife briefly expressed interest while I was fine tuning "Atari 800 Emulator 3.0.0" to a new TV/monitor we got. I happened to have Ballblazer going and I was getting the color palette just right and she asked if they ever finished the VCS version. And here I am checking up on it. And I don't doubt her technical prowess to take up the lead if I could get her interested in it.

But before I try setting those wheels in motion I wanted to get the pulse of others, especially roland.

Edited by Keatah

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

IF I continue, it will be the lightest kernel I will continue with. See previous 'lite' binary. KISS is what I've learned from these ballblazer kernels. Everything that looks better that the simplest will consume more RAM, Cycles etc. Also, the simplest kernel fits best 'in my head'.

Ok, I've worked a little bit on it and did the following:

- Used the simplest checkerboard kernel (as in the above 'lite' kernel)

- Adapted the version of the old sprite routine so it works better now. It uses my old 8x8 bit multiply routine, which returns the high 8 bit as a result. This in itself was not sufficient, but now I change the multiplier and multiplicand, depending on the Z3d distance (far objects can be further in the X3d direction, close objects are closer in the X3d direction). I'm surprised about the precision and the positioning is as good as the bloated version in the 32K variant, which used 2K of lookup tables. Calculating of a 2d coordinate takes now about 300 cycles.

- At the moment, the opposing 'rotofoil' is now a square for simplicity.

- It uses now a little under 2K

rom.bin

Edited by roland p
  • Like 8