IGNORED

It's official. I'm an eBay moron magnet.

ianoid

Oof! Another negative. Guy wins N64 Donkey Kong soundtrack CD from me. Pays with Moneyorder. I mark as read and send the item. He leaves negative feedback. What?

From user Cesar0017: Hi i'm the guy that won the DK64 soundtrack. Have you recieved my money order payment yet? I sent it on Monday August 25. You should have recieved it by now i hope.

From me:

I got payment and shipped the CD yesterday. Please leave positive feedback when you get it and then I'll do the same.

No word, just this from the user in negative feedback:

I didn't like the email he sent FORCING ME to give postive feedbk or else. RUDE!

This guy is a nut job. I'll be bugging eBay to remove this feedback.

Oof! Another negative. Guy wins N64 Donkey Kong soundtrack CD from me. Pays with Moneyorder. I mark as read and send the item. He leaves negative feedback. What?

From user Cesar0017: Hi i'm the guy that won the DK64 soundtrack. Have you recieved my money order payment yet? I sent it on Monday August 25. You should have recieved it by now i hope.

From me:

I got payment and shipped the CD yesterday. Please leave positive feedback when you get it and then I'll do the same.

I didn't like the email he sent FORCING ME to give postive feedbk or else. RUDE!

This is why I give positive feedback once I receive payment. I don't get why anyone would hold feedback anymore. Since the seller can't give a neutral or a negative most buyers could care less if you give them a positive feedback. Most likely they will do enough transactions to get positives from others. The only power the seller truly has is filling a Non Paying Bidder on the buyer. But a positive really has become meaningless for buyers. And for this reason I don't really understand not automatically giving a positive once payment is received.

Edited by homerwannabee

The reason I don't automatically leave positive is because complaint resolution is as much a part of buying as paying is. Sure this may be 'old school' considering the new, broken policies, but I don't want to leave positive for someone who can't deal with a return.

Let me point out that I believe I sell WAY more than you and I sell a wide variety of cra, not just games or the random odds and ends. I probably sell about 500 items a year, at least. I'm way out in the crosshairs.

The reason I don't automatically leave positive is because complaint resolution is as much a part of buying as paying is. Sure this may be 'old school' considering the new, broken policies, but I don't want to leave positive for someone who can't deal with a return.

Let me point out that I believe I sell WAY more than you and I sell a wide variety of cra, not just games or the random odds and ends. I probably sell about 500 items a year, at least. I'm way out in the crosshairs.

Fair enough, to each their own.

From me:

Why exactly are you asking the buyer for this to begin with?

Feedback is an optional system, who's purpose is for the party leaving it to express their opinion of the transaction.

Not your place to expect/request/demand feedback of your liking from others. :ponder:

Why exactly are you asking the buyer for this to begin with?

Feedback is an optional system, who's purpose is for the party leaving it to express their opinion of the transaction.

Not your place to expect/request/demand feedback of your liking from others. :ponder:

True, but do you really think it is a big deal? I could care less if someone asks me to leave feedback. They (ianoid in particular) could never really force anyone to leave positive feedback. It just seems like more of a reminder than anything else. No reason to be offended by it, and it is certainly no reason to leave a negative feedback.

Edited by horseboy

True, but do you really think it is a big deal?

As a matter of principle regarding ebay, yes I do.

Thing is, there are way to many people on ebay who have the mistaken notion that it's all about them and what they want (buyers and sellers alike). I have no patience for any of them, or anyone who even remotely seems like they might be one of them. I mean, if you try hard enough, you can almost read some level of feedback extortion into that.

Now, I'm not saying the OP is like this (from what I can see he's not), but if I had gotten that kind of an email, I'd sure be pondering that possiblity.

and it is certainly no reason to leave a negative feedback

No, especialy when it's a distoraton of the truth. "forced me...or else...". Not what happened, so that was excessive.

Had it been me, I WOULD have left an honest "neutral" that simply said seller had asked for positive feedback.

Again, and sorry; but asking for feedback just doesn't give a good impression, and make one (me anyways) start wondering why they did, regardless of how innocent it might have been.

When you buy and a seller asks YOU to thank THEM for the privilage of buying their goods, it is indeed rude imo. Rude enough to neg someone certainly not.

The "give me a positive first then you'll get yours" crap is a huge reason Ebay changed the rules. Sure they guy is a jerk for negging you, but there's no reason to withhold it anymore (if there ever was)

Again, and sorry; but asking for feedback just doesn't give a good impression

FWIW, eBay's templated shipping email notification automatically adds the line "Once your item arrives in satisfactory condition, please leave feedback for me."

I always delete that line. It seems skeevy to spam them with feedback begging.

Are you guys high?

Seriously, all I wrote was "Please leave positive feedback when you get it and then I'll do the same." It's a courteous reminder. The feedback system is not in place as a tacit background to what happens on eBay. It's meant to be used.

I said please. There is nothing wrong with asking for positive feedback from a transaction. And there is nothing wrong with my not giving feedback to those who don't leave it for me. "Please leave feedback for me" is far from skeevy.

There is no way it is even close to reasonable behavior to leave neutral strictly because someone asked for positive feedback. Let alone a negative.

Edited by ianoid

There is nothing wrong with asking for positive feedback from a transaction.

In your opinion.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=757840

The other people finished up testing as well as just walked away.. The sales guy chased after them!

"Say thanks!" He said..

The Mom & Son looked at him confused..

"Say thanks!" He said again.. yelling louder again..

Mom & Son looked completely lost..

" Say thanks! This isn't an ARCADE! You should say thanks for the arcade!!" He goes mental.. and the people just walked away..

:roll:

Are you guys high?

Seriously, all I wrote was "Please leave positive feedback when you get it and then I'll do the same." It's a courteous reminder. The feedback system is not in place as a tacit background to what happens on eBay. It's meant to be used.

I said please. There is nothing wrong with asking for positive feedback from a transaction. And there is nothing wrong with my not giving feedback to those who don't leave it for me. "Please leave feedback for me" is far from skeevy.

There is no way it is even close to reasonable behavior to leave neutral strictly because someone asked for positive feedback. Let alone a negative.

i get sellers asking me that all the time, and i would always wonder how they "meant" it. :ponder:

i would not Neg them for it, but it DOES make me wonder what they are thinking.....

Rick

PS to answer your top question NO! but there is some hard lemonade in the cooler and it's calling for me. :)

In your opinion.

The other people finished up testing as well as just walked away.. The sales guy chased after them!

"Say thanks!" He said..

" Say thanks! This isn't an ARCADE! You should say thanks for the arcade!!" He goes mental.. and the people just walked away..

Seriously, have you ever sold anything on eBay in your life? Let's see your username so I can get some perspective.

I digress, the simple fact is, though you may find it distasteful, it is not bad form to ask for positive feedback. It is distasteful to beg for it, or insist on it. Even then, distasteful is not grounds for negative feedback. Feedback ratings, in my humble opinion, reflect the receipt of an item and the service. A person shouldn't just leave negative feedback because they don't like you, your breath, your clothes, or your communication skills.

I'm not sure why I'm wasting my virtual breath. Idealism I suppose.

I digress, the simple fact is, though you may find it distasteful, it is not bad form to ask for positive feedback. It is distasteful to beg for it, or insist on it. Even then, distasteful is not grounds for negative feedback. Feedback ratings, in my humble opinion, reflect the receipt of an item and the service. A person shouldn't just leave negative feedback because they don't like you, your breath, your clothes, or your communication skills.

I am right with you. Never in a million years would I have thought that anybody would be offended or think anything was wrong with reminding someone to leave feedback. Seems crazy to me. Demanding feedback or holding feedback hostage is a different story, but just reminding someone seems totally normal. I would never think to myself "this guy wants feedback, he must have something up his sleeve or be a bad guy." It is more like "this guy wants feedback to bolster his rating since that is why it is there." I am totally dumbfounded that so many people here feel that it is a bad thing to want someone to leave feedback. If I had never read this thread I would have no idea. I have never sold anything on ebay, but I have asked sellers for feedback several times. I just knew that I had fulfilled my requirements in a timely manner and I wanted to see my feedback score get better. This is all very strange.

Are you guys high?

I have to agree, I can't believe the reactions I'm seeing from people about your asking, "Please leave me positive and I'll do the same". Hell, that's boilerplate for many sellers I've dealt with and I don't think much of it at all. It's more of a courtesy reminder than anything--most people like receiving positive feedback and if your experience with the seller was positive, it's just a gentle nudge. People are quick to leave a negative (or neutral) when something goes wrong, but people often don't leave feedback when the transaction goes smoothly.

..Al

In your opinion.

"Say thanks!" He said..

Seriously, have you ever sold anything on eBay in your life? Let's see your username so I can get some perspective.

I'm not sure why I'm wasting my virtual breath. Idealism I suppose.

I agree with Ian Nothing wrong with what he did and it certainly didn't deserve a neg for it, and to

answer your question Ian, Not yet, but working on it. :P HHW

There is also one other thing: Paypal's new policy of sometimes holding payment for 21 days unless the buyer posts positive feedback before. One or two of the requests may be for that reason, so the seller can get their money earlier than having to wait 3 weeks...

I can't imagine why anyone would be offended by someone courteously requesting feedback for providing good service.

That said, I also can't imagine why folks are so damn concerned about feedback in the first place.

You aren't going to get feedback for every transaction for any number of reasons. What's the big deal?

There's absolutely no difference between a 128 feedback rating and a 129. There's little difference between 129 and 150. 150 ain't much different from 250. I mean, it's what's IN the feedback that counts: Well-packed? Quickly shipped? As advertised? Heck, that's true for negs, too. I don't dismiss a seller with a bunch of negs, I wanna know why they got'em. If they're all "item never received" then I move on. But if they're all whining newbies or goofy rants (like ianoid's above), I tend to side with the seller (assuming his positive feedback otherwise reflects genuinely good service.) I've been in the customer service biz since 1988 and I know all too well that no matter how good your service is, somebody's gonna find something to complain about, so I look for patterns, not incidents.

It is distasteful to beg for [feedback], or insist on it.

YES!

Hey sellers: If someone doesn't leave you feedback, don't pester them! I can't tell you how tempting it becomes to leave a negative feedback after that third "please leave me positive feedback" e-mail! Grrrrr.

Did you ever think that maybe I didn't leave feedback because I didn't have anything nice to say?

I have put a little note in most packages for the last 10 years selling on ebay. Most of the time I leave feedback after the game has shipped unless I got a funny feeling about the buyer.

This is part of my note

"Hi and thanks for winning my Ebay auction.

You timely payment helps me out and positive feedback was left after your game was mailed. I would appreciate some positive feedback after the game arrives. If you have any concerns or problems with the game please let me know.

Our retail store in business since 2002 is located in Fenton Missouri and we can be reached 12-8pm CST Monday –Saturday. 636-349-3113"

And it has a little more info also.

I only still get about 1/3 feedback of items sold. If I decided to pester them I might get more. But Ebays feedback system sucks for the most part.

I with Ianoid on this one. It's a little old school to ask but thats the old way of doing it when feedback was more important to a seller.

Edited by Trade-N-Games

I don't think it's wrong to ask politely for feedback, but once is enough. I don't like to be pestered. I've got a guy now that I bought some games from that's emailed me 3 times for his positive feedback, yet he hasn't left me any yet. Why hasn't he left mine, it's not like he can neg me anymore? His first email was a bit sore in that he lost out on shipping (cost more than he estimated) so he was expecting a positive out of it. And I would have left him a positive regardless, but then after two more requests over the past week, I don't know maybe I won't now.

I mean, it's what's IN the feedback that counts: Well-packed? Quickly shipped? As advertised? Heck, that's true for negs, too. I don't dismiss a seller with a bunch of negs, I wanna know why they got'em.

If half of all eBayers, or even half of all people, were that sensible, I would be amazed and very pleased with the world.

I don't take this stuff too personally, but it is an irritation. I went for years with 100% positive. Suddenly dropped with the new policy and lack of mutual retractions. It's not like my service has precipitously worsened. More like the system is more broken. I just like having 100% positive, it is a complete reassurance of my dedication to providing good service. Certainly not my raison de etre.

I know I post here every time I receive a negative. Usually the stories are so stupid that I think they might be of interest.