IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision) completed. Going beta test

opcode

Wow-- once again, I've written a book. Sorry, got carried away with my thoughts! No disrespect is intended to anyone specifically or directly, this is just me sharing my perspective-- wrong as it may or may not be.

Murph

I see what you mean. I guess it would be different if someone bought the game, played it for a few weeks or months and then sold it? That's what a lot of people do with current gen systems. I guess it all comes down to intent...does the original buyer intend to buy the game to play it, or simply to scalp it.

I'm not disagreeing that its a pretty disgusting practice to scalp the games. Sadly its doubtful that it will ever stop.

I think the lump in my throat comes from the idea that we're part of a community here at AA, and as such we are fortunate enough to be 'close to' projects like PMC, and able to order them when a more casual game fan may not. There's obviously more demand than supply currently for PMC, including a full 2nd edition list I think I read. But that is being addressed already. My point being...

I don't think I'd be as bothered by it if someone had simply listed their PMC they were able/willing/needing to part with in the Forums here at a reasonable price as opposed to collectively likely pulling in over $700; almost 5 times more than 'retail' on a current project that Luc and Eduardo still have money tied up in. This isn't the Wii, where a company loves to see the demand for a product exceed output capability (hence secondary market price inflation). This is a limited market where demand will be satisfied as quickly as real life allows-- let's face it, even if some individuals disagree, there is no life altering urgency for a game 10 years in the making on 27 year old hardware.

I think this behavior hurts the community two-fold, no matter the personal logic behind doing so... It will A) make other people think twice about producing games knowing that others may try to take advantage of them, and B) Slow down the entire distribution process. Producers will wait until they have adequate supply to satisfy demand to avoid situations like this. If Luc and Eduardo has sat on the first 80 yellow carts until the next batch of black carts were ready, and shipped them all at one time wile having overstock for late orders, we'd all still be waiting and anticipating, but not disappointed by profiteering.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

C:\>

Edited by Murph74

I just met Eduardo on Saturday at the Digital Press store in NJ, he really knows his Colecovision, and was showing off prototype work for their module. Some really amazing things. Gave him my two cents on CV! From speaking with him, I got the impression that on the ebaying, they want to avoid a stack of lawsuits from Namco, Konami, or whoever. Honestly, if you have one of their games, and want to sell it, why not just do it on one the game forums, like AA? Really that should go for most repros/homebrews, especially ones where the author's name is on it.

I just met Eduardo on Saturday at the Digital Press store in NJ, he really knows his Colecovision, and was showing off prototype work for their module. Some really amazing things. Gave him my two cents on CV! From speaking with him, I got the impression that on the ebaying, they want to avoid a stack of lawsuits from Namco, Konami, or whoever. Honestly, if you have one of their games, and want to sell it, why not just do it on one the game forums, like AA? Really that should go for most repros/homebrews, especially ones where the author's name is on it.

NAVA was really fun. And being able to finally meet people that you have been chatting with on the forums for years was the best part. :)

I spent some time talking to Greg2600, showing him the One-Chip-MSX. We discussed everything from MSX to Atari 7800, the big crash, the ColecoVision manufacturing issues and more. Smart guy. Too bad my English got in the way, I couldn't articulate fast enough to keep with him. For example, I didn't have the chance to argue with his reasoning for not buying PMC for the ColecoVision. He said that he didn't see the point in buying an arcade port for an old platform when he could simply fire MAME and play the original. Then the minute later he said that he had bought PMC for the 7800. Come on, a notoriously inferior version, everybody knows that!! Gotcha, Greg! I didn't say anything, but I was surely paying attention... ;)

Before I get flamed, I am just kidding about the 7800 version of PMC, though the bit about greg2600 being biased is actually true… :D

At the risk of looking like a complete ponce (British word for idiot), I have now acquired a new, fully working Colecovision and am interested in this Pac Man Collection baby, so when will the next reserve list go up, just out of interest?

Please contact Pixelboy. :)

At the risk of looking like a complete ponce (British word for idiot), I have now acquired a new, fully working Colecovision and am interested in this Pac Man Collection baby, so when will the next reserve list go up, just out of interest?

Beautiful work on the PMC Edwardo. I hope there are enough for me to get a copy, I am a recent add-on to the list.

Beautiful work on the PMC Edwardo. I hope there are enough for me to get a copy, I am a recent add-on to the list.

You are? Please let me know your name so that I can associate it to your AtariAge username in my records. :)

As far as new copies of PMC are concerned, the ball is really in Eduardo's court. He's the one who assembles the PMC cartridges, so if he can find the time to solder a new batch of PCBs and send them my way, I can honor pre-orders all the more quickly.

The only problem here is that Eduardo is already tied up with porting Gulkave for me... :P

You are? Please let me know your name so that I can associate it to your AtariAge username in my records. :)

As far as new copies of PMC are concerned, the ball is really in Eduardo's court. He's the one who assembles the PMC cartridges, so if he can find the time to solder a new batch of PCBs and send them my way, I can honor pre-orders all the more quickly.

The only problem here is that Eduardo is already tied up with porting Gulkave for me... :P

Your Luc at opcode games correct? I am Todd Scheele

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine yesterday and an awesome addition to the CV library.

I believe I found a bug, however:

Ms. Pac-Man / orange level - the orange was bouncing downward in the lane closest to the ghosts' "home" on the right hand side. I moved Ms. Pac in an upward direction towards the orange and she went right through the orange!

I believe I found a bug, however:

Ms. Pac-Man / orange level - the orange was bouncing downward in the lane closest to the ghosts' "home" on the right hand side. I moved Ms. Pac in an upward direction towards the orange and she went right through the orange!

That happens all the time with the arcade version too. Both Pac and Ms Pac. You can go thru ghosts and fruits. It has to do with the way the arcade code detects collision.

I just want to mention that anyone who notifies me that he/she received his/her copy of PMC automatically gets added to the waiting list for our next release, namely Gulkave.

You are now on that waiting list, rmaerz, unless you have an objection. :)

I have received PMC along time ago and want to make sure I'm on the list for anything u guys do in the future...

You've been on my list for a while, Gary.

Would you believe I'm approaching 100 pre-orders for Gulkave? The game is not finished yet and I can already say it's going to be a good seller. :D

Would you believe I'm approaching 100 pre-orders for Gulkave? The game is not finished yet and I can already say it's going to be a good seller. :D

Awesome! Glad to be on the list and that so many people recognize the quality and effort put into this stuff!

Awesome! Glad to be on the list and that so many people recognize the quality and effort put into this stuff!

Eduardo deserves most of the credit for the hard work he does, but I do work hard on my end to make it happen too. :)

Okay now, just to avoid needless/redundant posts in this thread, I'm going to make this clear for everyone: I run a very tight records system for Opcode Games, and I'm careful not to loose any of the personal info I collect, because when I do lose info, it usually doesn't take long for me to regret it. So if you've had dealings with us and currently own some of our games (most notably Pac-Man Collection) then you are (or soon will be) on my waiting list for Gulkave, no question about it. Just make sure to notify me when you receive your package, and the rest will happen automatically. :)

I just played my copy this weekend. Very nice work! Impressive to see what you can do on Colecovision. :cool:

Ummm, posting the same response every 2 to 5 minutes isn't exactly necessary to represent your strong enthusiasm for the game. :ponder: