IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision) completed. Going beta test

opcode

Ok, here is how to do it...

As soon as you select a game, press and hold * in the 2nd keypad. The grip will show up and will stay on screen for as long as you keep the * key pressed. Now, without releasing the * key, press and hold "2" in the 1st keypad. Now release the * key and quickly press it again. Now you can release both keys. The grid should stay on screen (unless you press * again).

Ok, now using the 1st controller, move the joystick up 4 times, then right 4 times, then down 4 times, then left 4 times. Voila, the "Made by Namco" should appear. That works in the arcade game too, though the sequence is a bit different.

Press * again to go back to the game.

Ok, here is how to do it...

As soon as you select a game, press and hold * in the 2nd keypad. The grip will show up and will stay on screen for as long as you keep the * key pressed. Now, without releasing the * key, press and hold "2" in the 1st keypad. Now release the * key and quickly press it again. Now you can release both keys. The grid should stay on screen (unless you press * again).

Ok, now using the 1st controller, move the joystick up 4 times, then right 4 times, then down 4 times, then left 4 times. Voila, the "Made by Namco" should appear. That works in the arcade game too, though the sequence is a bit different.

Press * again to go back to the game.

So you don't have to hop on your left foot three times after the last move of the joystick?

:]

So you don't have to hop on your left foot three times after the last move of the joystick?

:]

Nop, but keeping your fingers crossed and not holding your breath is recommended. :)

And of course you cannot do that in a real Pac-Man machine unless you own the thing, because you need access to the "service" dipswitch inside the machine to do the trick (that maps to the * key in the CV version). Of course you can use MAME instead...

BTW, did you know that PMC does include both the level 256 bug in Pac-Man and the kill screens in Ms Pac-Man (around level 130 something)? And here is the funny story: when I was almost done with the game, one of the last things in my todo list was to simulate those bugs. Then I started to do some preliminary testing just to find out that the bugs were already there! I didn’t need to do anything. That is how faithful the game is... :)

• 1 month later...

If you start the Ms. Pac-Man game right away, sometimes the first maze is blue.

So it is in the arcade version, too. Talk about accuracy!

Is there anyone else with a version that has the dots being a different color as you flip the on/off switch? I can get cyan, white, and gold; possibly light blue as well. In the case of Ms. Pac-Man, this affects the dot colors in all four mazes.

Edited by CV Gus

Last night, I read through an old videogame magazine, and came across an old trick to "play forever."

In Ms. Pac-Man, when you reach screen 137 (oh, is that all?), the characters and dots are as they should be, but the maze is upside-down. If you finish the screen anyway, there was a 75% chance you'd get 64 free games, and the next screen was a maze with no boundaries.

In Ms. Pac-Man, when you reach screen 137 (oh, is that all?), the characters and dots are as they should be, but the maze is upside-down. If you finish the screen anyway, there was a 75% chance you'd get 64 free games, and the next screen was a maze with no boundaries.

About the upside-down maze, I don't think this feature is present in Pac-Man Collection for the CV, just in case anyone is wondering. Eduardo may want to confirm that himself...

Last night, I read through an old videogame magazine, and came across an old trick to "play forever."

Actually as I remember it, you cannot go beyond screen 140 something. The game just crashes... PMC doesn't have the upside-down mazes (since that was the side effect of a bug on the flip screen hardware, which the CV doesn't have), but it correctly emulates the game crash.

Last night I tried the "free games" bug. Unless I am just unlucky and kept hitting the 25% part, the 64 free games bug does not occur here, nor does the upside-down screen or no-boundaries screen. The glitch that is supposed to occur on screen 140 or so does occur here, however.

Note: My version does allow one to skip screens. However, I actually played through screen 137 once I got there.

It also has that odd dot-color feature. What's really strange about it is that simply pushing the RESET button has no effect on the colors; only by switching the CV on and off will do it.

Is there anyone else here who has a version that does that- the dots can be light blue/cyan; yellow; or white. Again, whichever one it starts with affects the dot colors in all four mazes in Ms. Pac-Man.

This has got to be the best version of these games among systems before the 32-bit consoles. And it can hold up against those, even.

Edited by CV Gus

• 2 months later...

The game rocks and it was the first time I ever played Pac Man Plus. I got this game awhile ago and I even did a video review on it too recently at:

Thanks for sharing. It is funny that I got a lot of good feedback on PMC last week, after so many months. Good to know people are still enjoying it. :)

Eduardo

• 4 months later...

The game rocks and it was the first time I ever played Pac Man Plus. I got this game awhile ago and I even did a video review on it too recently at:

Thanks for sharing. It is funny that I got a lot of good feedback on PMC last week, after so many months. Good to know people are still enjoying it. :)

Eduardo

I just bought a copy of this last week. I've been playing it for 3-4 days straight. More than anything I just like powering up the game to see the work that went into everything from the menu to the gameplay. The patterns even seem to work.

Here are some of the things that I love about the game:

1. The cartridge: Sweet artwork. Opcode branded carts are cool too.

2. Turning the game on: Beautiful animated rainbow ColeoVision logo with the "The Arcade Quality Video Game System" slogan followed by the Namco logo.

3. The Menu: Pac-Man Fever! Yeeeah Bouy!, Animated Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man characters, The Pac-Man Glove to select Menu Options. And the cool gold placard adorning the main menu with the words "Pac-Man Collection."

3. The options menu: Japanese version?! Cool. Pac-Man Plus hidden menu option. Brilliant!

4. The game play: Near arcade perfect! The ColecoVision shines here. From the "ROM boot up" to the ghosts getting chomped--you can really tell a lot of care went into making this game a reality.

It's nice to have people inject so much love into a project.

Thanks for the game.

Edited by Madaracs

4. The game play: Near arcade perfect! The ColecoVision shines here. From the "ROM boot up" to the ghosts getting chomped--you can really tell a lot of care went into making this game a reality.

You're right. I was playing Pac-Man Plus off of PMC on the ColecoVision and developed a pattern that worked precisely when I began playing Pac-Man Plus in MAME.

Did you know that Pac-Man Plus is a hidden game?

You're right. I was playing Pac-Man Plus off of PMC on the ColecoVision and developed a pattern that worked precisely when I began playing Pac-Man Plus in MAME.

Yeah, yeah! I mention that. I did forget to mention one thing tho... The packaging is kick a$$, too. Of course all of this really goes without saying for everyone who's been playing for two years already. ;). But i was just so jazzed I needed to post!

Yeah, yeah! I mention that. I did forget to mention one thing tho... The packaging is kick a$$, too. Of course all of this really goes without saying for everyone who's been playing for two years already. ;). But i was just so jazzed I needed to post!

Another reason why Eduardo should come back!

Hope see him here soonest as possible

Edited by retroillucid

Yes, this is one of the prized items in my Colecovision collection. I am also lucky to have purchased the yellow cartridge version of the game ;) We are lucky to have Opcode games in the world!

Looks like he's updated his site.

I may be relatively new here, but I would encourage anyone and everyone who respects his work to comment on that entry. He may have been hurt by some of the matter-of-fact comments about his frustrations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...