IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision) completed. Going beta test

opcode

First, highlight Pac-Man as your choice. Then using the second controller push 7587 on the keypad. When that is done you will see that "Plus" has been now placed after Pac-Man. Just hit the fire button and start as you normally would.

Is that documented in the manual? Why make it difficult and just add that as another game option?

Look up "easter egg" :)

Yeah I know what it is...but if it were me I wouldn't have egged an additional game

With all due respect, feel free to program your next game with no easter eggs. :)

First, highlight Pac-Man as your choice. Then using the second controller push 7587 on the keypad. When that is done you will see that "Plus" has been now placed after Pac-Man. Just hit the fire button and start as you normally would.

Is that documented in the manual? Why make it difficult and just add that as another game option?

Look up "easter egg" :)

Yeah I know what it is...but if it were me I wouldn't have egged an additional game

With all due respect, feel free to program your next game with no easter eggs. :)

You don't understand - I know Eduardo spent quite a bit of time on Pac-Man Collection. I am saying that if I would have put as much effort into PMC I would not have egged a whole additional game. The game is worthy and should be showcased.

Well, I've been playing Pacman Collection a lot since getting it through the post yesterday. I think it's excellent, and as people have said, the differences appear to be merely cosmetic. I did notice my Ms Pacman sprite pass through a ghost once while playing, but then again, I played the original coin-op in the arcades a few weeks ago and that happened once too. I'm assuming Eduardo knows about this "feature" :)

Whatever Eduardo does with regards the Opgrade module, I hope that arcade conversions of this standard remain his priority, because it's a remarkable job: he's just made the best conversions of Pacman and Ms Pacman in history!

Well, I've been playing Pacman Collection a lot since getting it through the post yesterday. I think it's excellent, and as people have said, the differences appear to be merely cosmetic. I did notice my Ms Pacman sprite pass through a ghost once while playing, but then again, I played the original coin-op in the arcades a few weeks ago and that happened once too. I'm assuming Eduardo knows about this "feature" :)

Whatever Eduardo does with regards the Opgrade module, I hope that arcade conversions of this standard remain his priority, because it's a remarkable job: he's just made the best conversions of Pacman and Ms Pacman in history!

Along with Jr. Pac-Man for the 7800, I've been playing the heck out of PMC. Mainly, Pac-Man Plus.

Now, what is the significance of 7587 - I'm assuming it refers to July 5, 1987?

I don't have a ColecoVision, and the Pac-Man games aren't really my cup of tea, but I still find this amazing from a technical achievement perspective. From what I've seen of it in the YouTube videos, it does appear to be the most faithful versions of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man ever ported to a home console (emulated versions for modern consoles don't count, as they are not actually "ports").

To be fair though, no one in the early '80s could use 128 KB worth of ROM space and expect to sell it for a reasonable price to the home consumer; that was arcade ROM size territory (the Pac-Man arcade version was 185 KB in size). Even one of the early "large" games for the NES; Super Mario Bros. (1985) was only 40 KB in size. By the late '80s and early '90s it would have been feasible (Super Mario Bros. 3 was 385 KB for example), and I believe the NES hardware was capable of an essentially arcade-perfect [Ms.] Pac-Man port, but apparently no one cared enough to actually do it. The NES Pac-Man port was pretty bad, as was the Ms. Pac-Man port. The Tengen version of Ms. Pac-Man on the NES has essentially perfect graphics, but the 3/4 screen combined with scrolling is a bit odd. The sounds are off too.

The SNES and Genesis certainly had the berries and ROM space to do perfect ports, but they decided that "enhancement" was the way to go instead.

The Atarisoft prototype for the ColecoVision is a nice port of Pac-Man (especially considering it is only 16 KB) that is very playable, and includes the intermission scenes and has decent audio. It isn't perfectly faithful to the arcade version, but all the fundamentals were there. Additionally, all four ghosts are rock solid (no flicker whatsoever that I can see). Another thing about it, which I think may be unique to this particular port, is that it shows an animation of the ghosts regenerating in their base after they've been eaten. This wasn't in the arcade version, but it is cool nonetheless.

I think this would have been a big seller for the CV had it seen the light of day in time.

I have a couple of questions. First, I have a demo ROM of Pac-Man from late 2004 where the first screen is playable. Did anything change from that stage in terms of graphics, audio, playability, etc., in the final release? If so, is there a demo ROM available that is representative of the final release?

Second, why is there space between the outlines of the maze walls and the solid inner color of the walls in Ms. Pac-Man? That's not how it is in the arcade version (the outline surrounds the outer edges of the solid colored walls with no gaps/space in between). Is that due to a technical limitation of the CV?

I have a couple of questions. First, I have a demo ROM of Pac-Man from late 2004 where the first screen is playable. Did anything change from that stage in terms of graphics, audio, playability, etc., in the final release? If so, is there a demo ROM available that is representative of the final release?

A lot changed after that. No further demos were released.

Second, why is there space between the outlines of the maze walls and the solid inner color of the walls in Ms. Pac-Man? That's not how it is in the arcade version (the outline surrounds the outer edges of the solid colored walls with no gaps/space in between). Is that due to a technical limitation of the CV?

Technical limitation.

I don't have a ColecoVision, and the Pac-Man games aren't really my cup of tea, but I still find this amazing from a technical achievement perspective. From what I've seen of it in the YouTube videos, it does appear to be the most faithful versions of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man ever ported to a home console (emulated versions for modern consoles don't count, as they are not actually "ports").

I never really played Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man games that much or had much interest in them either. Not until this collection was released. Now I play the games more than I ever have.

I think it's just because it's cool playing a near arcade-perfect version on a Colecovision; playing an 80's game on an 80's system that really does look and sound (for the most part) and play like the arcade! You even press a button to "put in quarters".

I would say the emphasis of this port is not merely having a Pac-Man game for Colecovision, but having the actual arcade game on Colecovision. Thanks Opcode!

• 2 months later...

Puck-man is the Japanese version. Check the options.

So what is the difference between Pac-Man and Puck-Man, besides the names (of the game and characters)?

There were a few very minor differences, but to be honest I cannot remember what they were anymore. :)

I think one of them was the way Pac-Man animates, not sure. I need to check the code again, it was all so long ago...

Oh, the Japanese version has alternate ghost names as an option, the US version doesn't offer that. Both had that secret Namco screen though. BTW, has anyone found it?

I think it's just because it's cool playing a near arcade-perfect version on a Colecovision; playing an 80's game on an 80's system that really does look and sound (for the most part) and play like the arcade! You even press a button to "put in quarters".

I would say the emphasis of this port is not merely having a Pac-Man game for Colecovision, but having the actual arcade game on Colecovision. Thanks Opcode!

Very well put. Pac-Man Collection plays, sounds and feels like the arcade games. I featured this game at OVGE this year, and it was a smash hit!

OVGE Pac-Man Collection competition picture

Everyone loved the games, and people kept asking if the sounds were straight from the arcade versions.

During the competition, I put a 5 minute time limit for the high score, but it was hard to stop people from playing the game! :D

(Using the Genesis joystick also helped add to the arcade feeling!)

Thank you opcode, for a wonderful arcade game that many people were able to enjoy this past weekend!

:)

Glad to hear that someone is playing the game. :)

Actually I should have a new batch of cartridges available soon, in case someone is still interested. If so, please contact Bia (bia at opcodegames.com) and ask to have your name placed in the list. :)

Very well put. Pac-Man Collection plays, sounds and feels like the arcade games. I featured this game at OVGE this year, and it was a smash hit!

OVGE Pac-Man Collection competition picture

Everyone loved the games, and people kept asking if the sounds were straight from the arcade versions.

During the competition, I put a 5 minute time limit for the high score, but it was hard to stop people from playing the game! :D

(Using the Genesis joystick also helped add to the arcade feeling!)

Thank you opcode, for a wonderful arcade game that many people were able to enjoy this past weekend!

:)

How do you separate Pac-Man Collection from, you know, Pac-Man Collection for those other systems? Easy, only Pac-Man Collection offers the complete arcade experience, down to the last detail you can't even try on a real pay to play arcade machine (unless you own one... hint, hint). So... has anyone found the hidden Namco message? ;)

Easy, only Pac-Man Collection offers the complete arcade experience, down to the last detail you can't even try on a real pay to play arcade machine (unless you own one... hint, hint).

I'm not sure what you mean. But, I can tell you that in playing both Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus on the ColecoVision I discovered (on my own - i.e. no strategy guides or anything like that) patterns that translate exactly to the arcade version.

I haven't figured out any working patterns for Ms. Pac-Man.