IGNORED

7800 Super Pac-Man - I found the bug!

PacManPlus

No harm no foul. Seriously, I don't want any enemies here.

:thumbsup: Thanks. Hope you had better luck getting treats with your kid than me and my wife had giving them out (only 2 kids the entire night :().

Back on topic, is there any other system from the 16 bit period and back that has as much PacMan now as the 7800? I mean, with PacMan Collection and all it's varieties, this one, and the 2600 PAcMan, Ms. PacMan, and Jr. PacMan, it's pretty much the PacMan machine.

Edited by Atarifever

I was just playing the 5200 Super Pacman. It's a good game and Landon Dyer did a nice job but boy, did PacManPlus do a fantastic job on 7800 Super Pacman. It really came out fantastic. It a nice step up from the 5200 version.

Allan

Indeed. What I enjoy the most is the attention to detail. For instance: The bonus stages work correctly and the Intermissions are like the Arcade. Even with the limited sound of the 7800, it still sounds so close to the Arcade version. It has a polished professional finish which has been the trademark of Bob's work with the 7800.

-Trebor

I'll say this again- this is the sort of game Atari should have come out with in the late 1980s. Who usually bought one? Older gamers. We often preferred the older games to the later ones, so, Atari should have been the system for older games. The NES had the younger ones.

Superb work. You are an excellent programmer.

Hi Bob,

I came across another minor thing. In the Arcade version, once you complete the bonus round, all left over items (Keys and Slots (If you did not go for it) and Super Pac-Man) are suppose to disappear from the board, then then bonus points count down, followed by the board flashing and the tune plays:

post-18-1225713922_thumb.pngpost-18-1225713925_thumb.png

post-18-1225713929_thumb.pngpost-18-1225713931_thumb.png

post-18-1225713934_thumb.pngpost-18-1225713937_thumb.png

In your port, the left over items remain (Keys, Slots and Super-Pac-Man). After the bonus points count down reaches zero, the right side slot item and Super Pac-Man disappears while everything else remains while the board flashes and tune plays:

post-18-1225714127_thumb.pngpost-18-1225714130_thumb.png

post-18-1225714133_thumb.pngpost-18-1225714136_thumb.png

post-18-1225714139_thumb.pngpost-18-1225714142_thumb.png

-Trebor

One other really small thing is the color of the gates in the Arcade version are a gold/tan/orange-like color (Except when the board flashes white - then the gates are white), but in your port they are always white.

However, this issue I'm pretty sure is due to the technicial limitations of the 7800.

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

Hi Trebor - you are correct; the white gates are all the color I have left at this point for the maze. :(

Regarding the bonus round count-down: The only thing is, at this point, I am holding on to the version that was last posted (unless there is a major bug found).

As always, I appreciate the input :)

Hey Bob,

I found a bug. I had Clyde go through walls to the right just after Pacman ate an Energizer. He did not move in any other direction and wrapped back to the other side. I died before they turned back so I do not know if he would have returned to normal. The conditions were Banana level start on Banana, 3rd energizer eaten on the NW corner. I was not sure where Clyde was just prior to me eating the Energizer, but he was near the center box. This was using the Cart on a 7800. I have been unable to reproduce the bug, using the Cart and CC2 with the rom dated 10/31.

Hey man:

I've been trying last night, this morning, and just now to get that to happen, and I haven't been able to. :(

Is there anything else you can remember that might trigger it? Has it happened to you since?

Has anyone else been able to get it to happen?

Thanks,

Bob

I have not been able to reproduce it either. I think the ghost was either entering or leaving the center box. I just did not notice it until he started to go through a few walls. He did not change directions. He was actually moving to the left side of the screen through the side and reappearing on the right side. Energizer time had not run out before I died. I was too focus on Clyde and was caught by the other 3 ghosts that I had already eaten. I should probably attach it to the computer to record game play just in case it happens again.

Hey man:

I've been trying last night, this morning, and just now to get that to happen, and I haven't been able to. :(

Is there anything else you can remember that might trigger it? Has it happened to you since?

Has anyone else been able to get it to happen?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob

I could not find any bugs;seems to work great.

greetings Walter

Okay, Bob will probably let out an annoyed sigh so loud that I'll actually HEAR IT over here, but..... :)

I finally broke down and tried the "enhanced" mode on the version of Super Pac-Man that I have on my cell phone. Very interesting variaton -- there are some new mazes and power-ups. Bob -- are you familiar with it, and any, umm....thoughts...about adding that to the 7800 version? :)

Edited by Dauber

Okay, Bob will probably let out an annoyed sigh so loud that I'll actually HEAR IT over here, but..... :)

I finally broke down and tried the "enhanced" mode on the version of Super Pac-Man that I have on my cell phone. Very interesting variaton -- there are some new mazes and power-ups. Bob -- are you familiar with it, and any, umm....thoughts...about adding that to the 7800 version? :)

Enhanced mode? Does that also enhanced graphics too?

Hey man, not a problem - I always welcome suggestions! :)

I have seen it, but haven't played it. I don't think I'm going to add it to the 7800 version, as it took all I could do to get this version stable... and apparently it still isn't...

I got the same problem today. This time the ghost went down. When he went off screen, I started to get a garbled screen. This time, I used the CC2 with 10/30 rom. It happened after I ate the 3rd energizer again but this time in the SE corner.

Was the monster going in or heading out of the pen again when this started? I'm trying to find some consistency on where it starts so I have a direction to go in.

The garbage makes sense in the fact that, vertically, if an object goes out of range your heading into other memory outside of the screen region. Left to Right (or vice versa) just wraps around.

Do you remember what was being done at the time this happened? (In other words, did you just eat an energizer, eat the monster, then eat another energizer and that's when it happened, etc.) Not saying what I just stated would cause it (I did try that scenario), but something like that...

Thanks!

Was the monster going in or heading out of the pen again when this started? I'm trying to find some consistency on where it starts so I have a direction to go in.

The garbage makes sense in the fact that, vertically, if an object goes out of range your heading into other memory outside of the screen region. Left to Right (or vice versa) just wraps around.

Do you remember what was being done at the time this happened? (In other words, did you just eat an energizer, eat the monster, then eat another energizer and that's when it happened, etc.) Not saying what I just stated would cause it (I did try that scenario), but something like that...

The monster that went through walls was in the pen. I had just recently changed my style of playing Super Pacman. I no longer do not wait for the ghost to all chase me too a corner and get an energizer. So I chase them down by eating power pellet, but the bug shows up when the energizer is eaten without eating Super pellet. I always use up energizer time and wait for ghosts to rematerialize before eating another energizer.

Hi Guys:

I'm still trying to get this to happen to me here.

Just out of curiosity, were you able to try your other 7800 and if so did it happen there? I'm not blaming the 7800, it's just that for the life of me I can't reproduce it. It must be a *very* specific set of circumstances that causes this. :(

I gotta run out now, but I am still trying.

Bob

Hi Guys:

I'm still trying to get this to happen to me here.

Just out of curiosity, were you able to try your other 7800 and if so did it happen there? I'm not blaming the 7800, it's just that for the life of me I can't reproduce it. It must be a *very* specific set of circumstances that causes this. :(

I gotta run out now, but I am still trying.

Bob

Hi Bob

Maybe it depend on the system,which is used?????ßDo not know.I played many times on my different systems.Everything seems to work well.

greetings Walter

Hi Bob,

I have not gotten another 7800 out. I would have to set it up on a TV since I only have one 7800 with composite out.

It must be a *very* specific set of circumstances that causes this

Agreed. The fact that it cannot be reproduced so easily or with much effort [including on the same system it was encountered on], may leave it as a "feature" or even the "Easter Egg" some have asked for, IMHO.

In fact, perhaps it can be opened up as a challenge for people to reproduce it and if they can explain exactly how once the carts are released for sale.

Point being, I do not see this as a 'show stopper'. I for one would be more than happy to purchase the cart with this "feature".

There are arcade and console games which when a very specific set of circumstances are achieved cause something out of the norm to happen. I believe this falls into the same category. But, as always Bob it's your creation and you have to be happy with the end results.

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

It must be a *very* specific set of circumstances that causes this

Agreed. The fact that it cannot be reproduced so easily or with much effort [including on the same system it was encountered on], may leave it as a "feature" or even the "Easter Egg" some have asked for, IMHO.

In fact, perhaps it can be opened up as a challenge for people to reproduce it and if they can explain exactly how once the carts are released for sale.

Point being, I do not see this as a 'show stopper'. I for one would be more than happy to purchase the cart with this "feature".

There are arcade and console games which when a very specific set of circumstances are achieved cause something out of the norm to happen. I believe this falls into the same category. But, as always Bob it's your creation and you have to be happy with the end results.

-Trebor

We have three bugs in Gorf Classic for the Jaguar. At first I was embarrassed by them but once I

saw the reaction to them it was interesting. Most folks thought it a 'feature' as you explained it and

were fine with it.

For those interested:

If you hit the flagship and he hits you at the same time and it is your last ship, the program freaks

out a little but no real dmamge is done. At that point the game is over because it was your last ship.

On PAL systems you can see all the galaxians at the bottom of the screen where they tend to 'hide'

while returning to the rack that are not normally visible on NTSC.

The score tallies in demo mode....

None detrimental to game play or scoring however.

So Bob, I understand you being anal(as I am) about attention to detail but don't lose you head over it.

Not really ever playing SuperPacMan, I cant tell you how accurate or not the game is but clearly most

folks here find it quite impressive.

I'd leave it alone. Great work as usual.

Gorfy

Enhanced mode? Does that also enhanced graphics too?

Not really.......just different mazes that change every four levels (and "enhanced" mode doesn't have the classic maze at all), the monsters' pen is locked (you need to be super-powered to ge through it)...

There are some power-ups that dance around the maze, and (this is a cell phone, mind you) you hit 1 to activate the power-up after you catch it, and you have to use the power-up by the end of the level or you lose it. (You can even lose a life and still have the power-up if it hasn't been activated.) One power-up turns the monsters blue and you get to eat them for double the point value. Another one causes them to freeze. There's also a "mirror" power-up, which produces another Pac-Man on the other side of the maze and acts as a mirror around the Y-axis; this is a pretty useless power-up, as the mirror Pac-Man can't eat anything -- the only advantage it MIGHT have is that the monsters might chase it, but I'm not 100% sure. I think there are other power-ups but I haven't seen them yet.