IGNORED

NES: The REAL Super Mario 2

Everyone has there own opinon on it..

My verdit is The Japanee one is the Real Mario 2...But some people say the US one is the real one

(emphasis mine)

I don't think that's quite the argument. I doubt anyone who knows the story is denying that SMB2j is a real successor to SMB. It came first, it has the same engine as its predecessor, and it was deliberately made to be the sequel. Everybody knows that. The controversy, if you want to call it that, is over SMB2-USA, and not whether it's the "real" sequel, but as t whether it's a sequel at all. Knowing Nintendo designed SMB2j well before they made DDP, no one wants to deny SMB2j's claim to being SMB2... it's just that some people want to deny that SMB2-USA is also SMB2. Maybe not the first one, but it was made and sold as a Mario game, regardless of what the original characters looked like. The question isn't whether SMB2j or SMB2-USA is "the real one" but whether SMB2-USA has any legitimacy at all.

And, without challenging SMB2j at all, I'd say that SMB2-USA is an authentic Mario game and a worthy follow-up to SMB. The best analogy I can think of would be the seven kajillion variations of Street Fighter II that were made before the release of Street Fighter III. I mean, you had Street Fighter II, SF II Turbo, SF II World Warrior, etc. etc... They were all different games (albeit not NEARLY as different as the SMB2 games, I admit that!) but they were all considered to be games which fell between Street Fighter and Street Fighter III. Likewise, I don't think the existence of Doki Doki Panic should stop both games from being called SMB2.

Everyone has there own opinon on it..

My verdit is The Japanee one is the Real Mario 2...But some people say the US one is the real one

I'm glad Nintendo deside to releas it on SMAS in 93 on the SNES

My verdict is the USA SMB2 is the real one. It's the real one to me because it is the first one that I played. If you would like to belittle that statement, that is your prerogative.

I think defining the "real" of anything, especially in this case of SMB2 "JP" and SMB2 "USA", depends on the area in which it was intended for. SMB2 "USA" wasn't released in Japan as SMB2, just as SMB2 "JP" wasn't released as SMB2 in the USA.

Either way I see it as 2 different games separated by 2 different countries with the same name, under the same company, and under the same franchise.

1. SMB2 "JP"

2. SMB2 "USA"

Which ever one is real depends on the criteria of what you consider to be valid in your argument. Stating that SMB2 "JP" is the real SMB2 based on the exclusive fact that it was produced first, is irrelevant to me. Why? ...because, SMB2 "USA" is the first one I played so therefore it is the SMB2 that I define to be real in my perception.

Which ever one is real depends on the criteria of what you consider to be valid in your argument. Stating that SMB2 "JP" is the real SMB2 based on the exclusive fact that it was produced first, is irrelevant to me. Why? ...because, SMB2 "USA" is the first one I played so therefore it is the SMB2 that I define to be real in my perception.

Actually, SMB2 was the first one I played as well (and the same probably goes for a lot of people) and even I have to agree that SMB2J is the real sequel. Of course, that doesn't stop me from really liking both games.

I can't play SMB2j because it's too hard.. and I learned that on my own since I bought and played it in the late 80's. I still remember me going "wtf" to the poison mushroom and wondering if it was supposed to do that or if it was a good thing :lol: I simply don't like it :P But it IS the bona-fide "Super Mario Bros 2"

On the other hand, I simply love SMB2-us. It's one of my all time favorites even to the point I played through Doki Doki Panic a couple of times over the years via an emulator just to re-experience it again in a new light.

SMB2-US is an official SMB2 since Nintendo themselves released it as such. It's their prerogative what they do with their stuff and if they wanted to repackage Doki Doki and make it SMB2 for us in the USA market, we have to eat it up and give it that title. It is what it is.

But at the end of the day the title of "real" goes to the original hard jap one.

if a sprite hack is such a bad thing, then why offer this much praise for a simple level hack?

shouldnt a sequel offer more than new levels?

That lack of original content is part of my problem with it. The only thing they changed, and the obvious purpose behind the design, is the insane difficulty.

recycled game + jacked difficulty = Challenge Edition, not a sequel.

SMB2-jp isn't even approachable to mainstream players. I tried playing it last night and could only laugh at how sadistic it was. It seems to cynically rely on limits of the old game engine to create difficulty, rather than being built on new code that would have made the levels more playable. Clearly only intended as a challenge for advanced players of the original, sort of like the so-called "Atlantis II".

These things make it hard for me to accept it as a sequel. Obviously it's "real" in that's how it was marketed in Japan, but it doesn't deserve that title. SMB: "The Lost Levels" is honestly a better name for the game.

• 2 months later...
Famicom Disk System games or FDS files CAN'T be used in reproductions because of the way the disk reacts with the harware, so to create SMB2 Jap, It was simply a SMB 1 hacked exactly like the SMB2 the got in japan just to keep the (.NES) extension instead of the (.FDS) the original disk system rom carries

Then what is the SMB2 pirate cart that I bought in 1989? Is that a hack? :?

Here's my pirate SMB2j cart

It's "Lost Levels" and not the USA release of SMB2

This game is damn hard :twisted:

post-11933-1235864854_thumb.png

I made up my own cartridge so I could play the original Super Mario 2 on the real NES. Man, that game is _really_ hard... I can only get past about the first three worlds. I need to spend some serious time practicing :D

-Ian

Does your's have the messed up graphics line right below the score area? I created one using loopy's patch on the rom. I was wondering if anyone has used his source code to compile a new rom.

Does your's have the messed up graphics line right below the score area? I created one using loopy's patch on the rom. I was wondering if anyone has used his source code to compile a new rom.

Nope - mine plays fine. Perhaps you have a different version of the original ROM?

That's one thing that bugs me about .ips files. There is no mechanism to do a checksum of the original ROM - and nobody distributes md5's of the original ROM with the .ips! So, there's really no way to know _which_ of the many various dumps were used originally...

-Ian

If you pick up Super Mario Bros Deluxe for the GBC, it has Lost levels on it. Oh, and thanks to the near pixel perfect conversion of the game, on the GBC's tiny 160x144 screen, it's even MORE difficult as you simply can't see as far.

I always wondered if the SMB2j was really not released in the US, cause I've seen several copies in real life, if I'd known how hard it would be to come by later, I would have picked one up. It's damn hard, but to this post, I'd consider this more of an expansion than a true sequel. Oh, there is one thing added, the poison mushrooms, touch it and shrink, or die >:

Famicom Disk System games or FDS files CAN'T be used in reproductions because of the way the disk reacts with the harware, so to create SMB2 Jap, It was simply a SMB 1 hacked exactly like the SMB2 the got in japan just to keep the (.NES) extension instead of the (.FDS) the original disk system rom carries

Ahh but see.. yours is an NES cart. Mine is a Famicom cart... to go into my bootleg Famiclone I bought in 1988 :P

I mean I know what it is, it's probably a chinese bootleg, as are all my Famicom carts (although I didn't know it at the time) :)

Ahh but see.. yours is an NES cart. Mine is a Famicom cart... to go into my bootleg Famiclone I bought in 1988 :P

I mean I know what it is, it's probably a chinese bootleg, as are all my Famicom carts (although I didn't know it at the time) :)

The famicom bootlegs are better than the NES repro's as the famicom bootlegs still have the level skip cheats, my last repro NES copy couldn't do the level skip at all.

EDIT: The level skip I speak of is when you start the machine you hold button combinations on the controller to start at different levels. I.E. hold start,select,down then turn the system on and when you press a (while still holding all the others down) you will start at level A-1. There is alot of different combinations that skip to different levels.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

The level skip I speak of is when you start the machine you hold button combinations on the controller to start at different levels. I.E. hold start,select,down then turn the system on and when you press a (while still holding all the others down) you will start at level A-1. There is alot of different combinations that skip to different levels.

Yeah! :)

I can do this with my pirate SMB2j cart ... there's actually "Instructions on how to do it" written on the back of the cart ;)

I used to have a 30 game multi-cart for the Japanese Famicom that an old boyfriend gave me when I was in highschool. It had Macross and SMB 2 on it but I never got to play it on my Nintendo because I did'nt have an adapter for it.

Did they ever make an adapter for the NES where you can play Famicom games??? That would be rad,I'd totally buy one.

Unfortunately I lost the multi-cart while I moved a longtime ago :(

It was orange and had switches on it where you selected the games.Dang I'd like to find that again.

I think I played the real SMB 2 on an X-box a few years ago. It makes sense that's the real sequel and not the USA version(you never saw that final boss frog guy or any of the bosses in the later games),although I really LOVE the USA Super Mario 2...... sure it was just a Doki Doki Panic hack but I think they actually made it into a better game.

Did they ever make an adapter for the NES where you can play Famicom games??? That would be rad,I'd totally buy one.

I think I played the real SMB 2 on an X-box a few years ago. It makes sense that's the real sequel and not the USA version(you never saw that final boss frog guy or any of the bosses in the later games),although I really LOVE the USA Super Mario 2...... sure it was just a Doki Doki Panic hack but I think they actually made it into a better game.

There are TONS of Famicom -> NES adaptors out there, though it's slightly harder to get them now that eBay has gone fascist. I also like the USA SMB2... really a superb game all around.

If you want more info on multicarts check out this site .

There are TONS of Famicom -> NES adaptors out there, though it's slightly harder to get them now that eBay has gone fascist. I also like the USA SMB2... really a superb game all around.

If you want more info on multicarts check out this site .

Yes I agree with you Ebay has gone fascist lol,because their rules is that you can only buy and sell through Paypal right??? Some people on ebay are still cool with receiving money orders/checks tho. I always send a message to the seller to make sure...

Reading one of the posts above....yea I also think it's rad that some of the minor characters on SMB2 USA made it into the whole Super Mario universe(goes to show how good the game is although none of the bosses like Wart made it). I think the USA version became the real sequel to alot of people. Is the ending for Doki Doki Panic the same? SMB 2 Japan looks just like the first one but harder, I always thought the USA version was a way better looking game. SMB 2 Japan looks a little boring(and plays really difficult)..

Edited by lushgirl_80

Man, does this bring up heat or what?

Both games are good, and for different reasons. Both are legitimate Mario titles.

I naturally was eposed to SMB2 USA first, since, well, that was the market I was living in at the time of release. Very fun game! Different feel, new mechanics, and the difficulty isn't through the roof.

I picked up a port of SMB2 J for the GBA... had to import it of course. I also have a multi somewhere that has it... or it's built in on one of my clone systems. A lot of people just call it a graphics hack. Ha ha ha! This game is also very fun, but oh man.... it is soooooo much harder. I can't quite get through the first world yet, as I don't spend a lot of time trying to play it, since my time is eaten up by a handful of other very demanding priorities.

yeah, there are a couple guys that make them. this is who I get my repros through. I've gotten cocoron and recca pure from him already, and he's currently offering 15% off. but don't expect delivery until after xmas, his queue seems to be stretching delivery time a bit over a month at the moment.

Thanks for the link.....it's now in my favorites and I plan to put an order in soon!

Steve

http://www.xanga.com/Atari_Man

Agreed. Maybe it's not a legitimate Super Mario Bros. game at its heart, but it's a very well designed platformer that brings a whole new spin to the Super Mario universe. The Lost Levels seems designed for cyborgs who finished Super Mario Bros. in a couple of days and masochists who couldn't find any whips and chains handy. It doesn't bring anything fresh or new to the series, and didn't improve the graphics or sound at all, feeling more like a downloadable content pack for the original game. So I don't blame Nintendo for engaging in a little slight of hand and giving us a game that wasn't necessarily Super Mario Bros., but was far preferable to the alternative.