4. Pepper II (Arcade) 125

5. Devil's Crush (Turbo Grafx) 76

6. Boxy Boy (Turbo Grafx) 73

7. Pressure Cooker (Atari 2600) 60

7. Gyruss (Atari 2600) 60

9. Ms. Pac-man (Atari 2600) 45

10. Juno First (Atari 2600) 40

10. Missile Command (Atari 2600) 40

I'll try to provide some additional stats daily as we near the Thanksgiving holiday.

I'll close out the 2008 thread later today but for those of you already off to a gaming start in 2009, what classic games are you playing (and for how much time)?

I've probably spent about 20-30 minutes playing "Haunted House" -- on Expansion Module #1 for the ColecoVision. :P

Plus various ColecoVision, Intellivision, and TI-994A games, for varying amounts of time (spent nearly an hour on "BurgerTime" for the TI the other day -- I got tired of playing at around 175,000 points, and tired of having to pause every couple of levels to uncramp my hand). Plus "Final Fantasy VIII" (over 20 hours, so far), "Namco Museum Vol. 1" (maybe about 10-20 minutes) and "A Collection of Classic Games from the Intellivision" (about 5 minutes, total -- the emulation is faster than the original, and the sounds are higher-pitched than on the original console) on my PS1.

Here are the Top Ten platforms for the year so far...

1. Atari 2600

2. Colecovision

3. Arcade

4. Atari 7800

5. Commodore 64

6. NES

7. Atari 5200

8. Turbo Grafx

9. Atari Jaguar

10. Atari 8-bit

Biggest surprise: Not one person has logged time on a Vic-20 game all year (or last year).

Here are the Top Ten platforms for the year so far...

1. Atari 2600

2. Colecovision

3. Arcade

4. Atari 7800

5. Commodore 64

6. NES

7. Atari 5200

8. Turbo Grafx

9. Atari Jaguar

10. Atari 8-bit

Biggest surprise: Not one person has logged time on a Vic-20 game all year (or last year).

Another surprise is the fact that the C64 is ahead two spots of the 5200.

Although I'm probably responsible for Arcade being at the #3 spot, these games are still accessible to everyone through emulation (as are most if not all the others). A lot of the games work well with a USB Gamepad controller (I have found that maze games are horrible with this type of controller). The quality of the majority of these games are superior to their console port counterparts. Where the consoles have the edge is the gaming experience which MAME on a traditional laptop or desktop (i.e. not in an arcade cabinet) cannot duplicate.

Atari 5200 Top Ten YTD...

1. Berzerk

2. Qix

3. Pac-man

4. Centipede

5. Defender

6. Star Raiders

7. Space Invaders

8. Pengo

9. Super Breakout

10. Missile Command

The top two in the list are great games. BerZerk took some warming up to until I realized how close it was to the arcade version. Qix is addictive.

I raved about Pac-Man when I first played it but once I got Pac-Man Collection for the ColecoVision it really makes the 5200 version inferior.

Space Invaders on the 5200 is horrible. The 2600 version is much better.

Pengo and Missile Command are great titles. Super Breakout was simply unnecessary for this console.

Here are the Top Ten games for the NES/famicon YTD...

1. Challenger

2. Super Mario Brothers 3

3. Nuts and Milk

4. Super Mario Brothers

5. Friday the 13th

6. Front Line

6. The Legend of Zelda

8. Excitebike

9. Super Mario Brothers 2

10. Sesame Street

Atari 5200 Top Ten YTD...

1. Berzerk

2. Qix

3. Pac-man

4. Centipede

5. Defender

6. Star Raiders

7. Space Invaders

8. Pengo

9. Super Breakout

10. Missile Command

The top two in the list are great games. BerZerk took some warming up to until I realized how close it was to the arcade version. Qix is addictive.

I raved about Pac-Man when I first played it but once I got Pac-Man Collection for the ColecoVision it really makes the 5200 version inferior.

Space Invaders on the 5200 is horrible. The 2600 version is much better.

Pengo and Missile Command are great titles. Super Breakout was simply unnecessary for this console.

I agree that Berzerk and Qix are great games. I thought it was interesting that Space Invaders was so much different than the 2600 version.