IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED? Weekly Top Ten for 2009

cvga

I saw the video for the 2600 version of Juno First at the store (Atari Age store that is) and it looks incredible. Will definitely be included with my next order!

It's a good cart and worthy of an "Odyssey" award. I've never heard of Juno First so it introduced me to the arcade game.

Very good port...

OK, here are my times again for the past week (October 19th through 25th). I know it's late again, but today is actually a "false Sunday" for me since October 26th is a holiday here in Austria.

And my times this week are irrelevant for the Top 10 anyway because I didn't play any classic games. Instead I played some Flash games:

Small worlds (online game): 30 minutes

Samorost (online game): 18 minutes

Samorost 2 (Chapter 1) (online game): 44 minutes

The quest for the rest (online game): 16 minutes

Rocketman VC (online game): 5 minutes

Most of these are point-and-click adventures, except for "Small worlds", which is sort of a jump-and-run somewhat similar to Panky the Panda, but different in that you cannot die, and the whole level is shown on screen at once, whereas the further you go, the more of the level is revealed, and it slowly zooms out in order to show all you've discovered so far. Also, the levels consist of blocks / pixels of a solid color, and your player is a 3 pixel high and 1 pixel wide stickman.

Another weak week for reporting games. As a group we cleared 1,000 minutes logged but that was due to a few long sessions with just a handful of games. I didn't get any suggestions last week on how to improve the Top Ten or pleas to discontinue it. I'm still looking for some feedback and thanks to those who continue to faithfully post.

Week 43 (Season 2) Top Ten

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) 289 minutes

2. Pac-man (Arcade) 155

3. Front Line (Colecovision) 120

3. Megamania (Atari 2600) 120

5. Panky the Panda (Atari 2600) 110

6. M.O.O.D. (Commodore 64) 93

7. Toyshop Trouble (Atari 2600) 37

8. Juno First (Arcade) 25

9. Stay Frosty (Atari 2600) 20

10. Tail Gunner (Arcade) 19

Another weak week for reporting games. As a group we cleared 1,000 minutes logged but that was due to a few long sessions with just a handful of games. I didn't get any suggestions last week on how to improve the Top Ten or pleas to discontinue it. I'm still looking for some feedback and thanks to those who continue to faithfully post.

Week 43 (Season 2) Top Ten

10. Tail Gunner (Arcade) 19

Yes, I think the Top 10 needs to continue on as long as you have time. But, as we discussed it should be moved over to the Classic Gaming forum. Maybe Albert could move it over for us instead of waiting until 2010?

I would have to believe that with Winter break coming up in about six weeks and perhaps the holidays we may see an increase of activity. Could you post a total of minutes played per each week perhaps starting 11/1/2008 to 1/31/2009 to see if this could be true?

Also, I think post #1 should be more detailed. What systems qualify for the top 10? Post examples of the data you are looking for [e.g. Toy Shop Trouble (Atari 2600) 25 mins]. Post #1 could also have links to some of the reports you have for example the top 100 of 2008, the top 100 all-time, the 1000 minute club etc.

Some have suggested that the HSC motivates them to play games. For me, the weekly Top 10 gets me into playing the games as well.

Additionally, home brewers benefit from the top 10 in getting their games exposed. For example, any game that shows up in the top 10 or top 100 that a gamer isn't familiar with may peak their curiosity to see what all the hype is about and play it for themselves.

Electronic Games used to post a top 10 for reader's popular games. I think the top 10 does the same but based on what is actually being played.

Tail Gunner - A recent Vector discovery through MAME. A prime example of how a simple game can garner repeat plays.

Edited by rmaerz

Snow White (2600) - 15 minutes

I didn't get any suggestions last week on how to improve the Top Ten or pleas to discontinue it. I'm still looking for some feedback and thanks to those who continue to faithfully post.

Yes, definitely continue it :) I agree, posting the next one in the Classic Gaming board might be a good idea.

mid-week report....

ColecoVision

Antarctic Adventure 3 mins

River Raid 3 mins

Miner 2049er 5 mins

Pac-Man Plus 3 mins

Ms. Pac-Man 5 mins

Galaxian Arcade 15 mins

Pac-Man Arcade 5 mins

Ms. Pac-Man 5 mins

Pole Position 2 mins

Pitfall 3 mins

Pressure Cooker 3 mins

Q*bert 2 mins

Tron Deadly Discs 3 mins

Gorf 3 mins

Juno First 5 mins

Ms. Pac-Man 10 mins

Arcade

Star Wars 5 mins

Uniwar S 3 mins

Canyon Bomber 2 mins

OK... some suggestions of mine on how to improve the Top 10...

For me, it would be interesting to know if a game only got played by a single player, or if multiple players contributed to that entry in the Top 10. The best thing would be to list who played it for each game, ordered descendingly by playing time, such as:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) 289 minutes (cvga, rmaerz)

(This is only an example, not necessarily consistent with real data)

I also think particularly interesting would be games which get played by multiple players in one week, or get played by someone after someone else took it into the Top 10 in the past. If in the Top 10 of one week, most games only get played by one player, it might be interesting to include that data into a monthly statistic or something like that.

Right now, the commentary mostly concentrates on the games and how they compare with each other in terms of minutes, and the systems they are played on. I also would like some commentary about the players, of the players virtually "passing" games to each other, that is, a game gets played by one player and then, subsequently, by another. I think if that happens, it could deserve a mention in the Top 10 commentary.

OK, just in time, here are my times for this week:

I still only played one classic game, but that's better than none:

Waterville Rescue (Colecovision)... 5 minutes

Other than that, I played the following non-classic games, which thus are not eligible for the Top 10:

Hypnotic Discotheque Fascination (Online game)... 13 minutes

Burger Time Deluxe (PC)... 60 minutes (free trial)

Plants vs. Zombies (Online game)... 81 minutes

Hell's Kitchen (PC)... 60 minutes (free trial)

OK, just in time, here are my times for this week:

I still only played one classic game, but that's better than none:

Waterville Rescue (Colecovision)... 5 minutes

Other than that, I played the following non-classic games, which thus are not eligible for the Top 10:

Hypnotic Discotheque Fascination (Online game)... 13 minutes

Burger Time Deluxe (PC)... 60 minutes (free trial)

Plants vs. Zombies (Online game)... 81 minutes

Hell's Kitchen (PC)... 60 minutes (free trial)

What is Waterville Rescue?

Also, thanks for the feedback on making the Top Ten a better thread!

Arcade

Tail Gunner 2 mins

Asteroids 14 mins

Juno First 12 mins

Galaxian 5 minutes

Millipede 2 mins

Phoenix 2 mins

Galaga 20 mins

Jr. Pac-Man 5 mins

Pac-Man 47 mins

Super Mario Bros. 10 mins

Super Pac-Man 25 mins

Jr. Pac-Man 5 mins

Wizard of Wor 5 mins

Taz 7 mins

Medieval Mayhem 85 mins

Pong Sports 45 mins

Circus 10 mins

Basketball 4 mins

Bowling 4 mins

Combat 3 mins

Juno First 10 mins

Missile Command 5 mins

Dragster 3 mins

Freeway 2 mins

Gunslinger 2 mins

Midnight Magic 4 mins

Megamania 3 mins

Demon Attack 5 mins

Kaboom 3 mins

Kaboom! 45 minutes

Turbo Grafx:

Takin' It to the Hoop 30 minutes

Blazing Lazers 10 minutes (my memories of this game were better than the actual gameplay)

Bomberman '93 30 minutes (the kids and I had a great time blowing each other up)

Battle Royal 25 minutes

Devil's Crush 95 minutes (this game is still very enjoyable!!!)

It won't count for the Top Ten but I also found and played my Mattel Football handheld for about 20 minutes last night. The home team won by a touchdown (I scored every possession and they had the ball first and last). Maybe I'll get out Blip Football and play some on the Atari this week.

It's late but here's the Week 44 (Season 2) Top Ten...

1. Kaboom! (2600) 209 minutes

2. Medieval Mayhem (2600) 85

3. Dungeon (2600) 60

4. Pac-man (Arcade) 47

5. Pong Sports (2600) 45

6. Othello (2600) 30

7. Ms. Pac-man (2600) 25

7. Super Pac-man (Arcade) 25

9. INV+ (2600) 20

9. Galaga (Arcade) 20

Thanks for your input to improve the Top Ten. Other than Kaboom! (Atarian7, cvga, rmaerz), I think all of the other games were only listed by one player. As always, I think getting more people to post is the key to improving this thread. That said, welcome to a couple of new posters and welcome back to sandmountain slim!