IGNORED

Regrets you may have made with your game collection?

When I moved from my Intellivision collection (close to 50 games) to the new proud owner of a C64 back in '83, I (looking back) regretfully gave my entire INTV collection away to my cousin. I'm not saying I had rare games but I kept my games/boxes/manuals/overlays in mint condition when I handed it over to him. Years later his mom ended up throwing away the boxes since she believed they took up too much space and I noticed that he never really played it much anyway. Why do I regert that? The last few years I started wishing I had this stuff to play again and I started buying (again) some of the stuff I gave away. Oh well, I guess I can't complain when I recently purchased a cuttle cart 3 for the INTV and now I have every conceivable game that I could ever want on the Intelli.

Anyone else do something with their collection and now look back and say, "Why did I do that"?

Edited by ddaniels

I let my parents throw away all my manuals and boxes that I had for the Colecovision and Atari 2600. I kept the game cartridges though.

This is when I moved to computer gaming (the C64) much like many of us did back then around 84' 85'.

I also threw away the C64 boxes and manuals but there weren't many of those ;)

Later when I bought an NES (around 1988) I kept the manuals but the boxes again were thrown out since I was about to enter college.

In the mid to late 90's before ebay exploded I was able to replace most of my older stuff.

I never threw away anything but boxes and never traded anything from my collection. BUT when I moved out of my parents house at the age of 19 or so I left all of my game stuff there for the most part because I had nowhere to store it. My mom threw it all away, along with my golf clubs. I showed up one day a few years later and started rooting around for it because I finally moved into a place with enough room for all that stuff and it was gone! I was like WTF!! Mom said she threw away all those "toys" a while back because she didn't think I wanted them anymore. Thrown away items include: 4 Atari 2600s, 2 Nintendo NES's, 1 Vectrex, 1 SNES, a few different handhelds, and a huge collection of games for all of them.

It was a very "Doh!" moment when I discovered what she had done.

I never threw away anything but boxes and never traded anything from my collection. BUT when I moved out of my parents house at the age of 19 or so I left all of my game stuff there for the most part because I had nowhere to store it. My mom threw it all away, along with my golf clubs. I showed up one day a few years later and started rooting around for it because I finally moved into a place with enough room for all that stuff and it was gone! I was like WTF!! Mom said she threw away all those "toys" a while back because she didn't think I wanted them anymore. Thrown away items include: 4 Atari 2600s, 2 Nintendo NES's, 1 Vectrex, 1 SNES, a few different handhelds, and a huge collection of games for all of them.

Did you happen to smash her head in?

Did you happen to smash her head in?

lol, nah, it's my mom. But my reaction was much akin to Ray Liotta's in the movie Goodfellas when he went back for the drugs and discovered his wife flushed it all down the toilette. A lot of "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!?!"s.

Selling my original 2600 and collection for a song in the late '80s like most people. Then later throwing out my huge closet full of mint boxes. Like most people.

Then in the early '90s selling my 2nd 2600 collection.

More recently, not starting out collecting CIB.

Back in 2000 I found a TurboGrafx Express handheld with like 15 games in my mom's garage,it belonged to my older brother and he put it away in a box and forgotten all about it.At that time I never knew they made one but just like Gameboy but in colour. I thought wow this is sooo cool!! My brother let me have it but I ended up selling it a 4 months later for 200 bucks to get a some new shoes :ponder: looking back I wish I still have it now.... Alien Crush was such a good game.

I have a few big regrets.

I gave away my copies of Android Assault and Robo Aleste to a cousin who had just got himself a SegaCD. Why I gave away two perfectly good shooters, and one of them a rare one like Robo Aleste, is just one of those things I wonder what I had been thinking. While I've since replaced Android Assault, I'm still hunting for a new copy of Robo Aleste.

When I moved out of the hellhole I lived in back in 2001, I left my original childhood 2600 and all it's games and accessories at the curb for the trash man. The neighbor kid took and interest and wanted the games for himself, so I guess he picked it all up. Still, I left all that stuff behind only to find myself paying collector prices to reacquire less sentimental copies a couple of years later. I was under the delusion that emulation would be enough for me.

Similarly, when I was forced out of a hellhole I lived in back in 1996 or so, I left my childhood Atari 5200 and games behind. This was partly because the building was being bulldozed as I was getting out of it and partly because I despaired of ever being able to play it again (all my controllers were broken). I even still had the box. I really wish I had the time to grab it back then. (But I had a few bigger issues to deal with at that time.)

For whatever reason, the perfectly servicable boxes for Star Control and Shining Force II bugged me (probably because they were cardboard instead of plastic clamshells). So, I took scissors to them and cut them up to put them into plastic cases. So, instead of the attractive original packages I had before, I know have ugly hacked up stuff in the crude plastic rental clamshells.

Ever since I saw copies of Final Fantasy 1 for the NES selling for $150 apiece on ebay, I've regretted not buying every copy the local Circus World was trying to liquidate for 25 cents each.

I tell myself I didn't have the money or the means to store this at the time. I would have just lost it the same way I lost my Atari 5200. But I still kick myself for not doing everything in my power to buy the Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator sit down which the local arcade was selling for $120. I've tried to acquire one a few times since then, and the closest I came was one I bid about $800 on and was still outbid.

I have a few big regrets.

I gave away my copies of Android Assault and Robo Aleste to a cousin who had just got himself a SegaCD. Why I gave away two perfectly good shooters, and one of them a rare one like Robo Aleste, is just one of those things I wonder what I had been thinking. While I've since replaced Android Assault, I'm still hunting for a new copy of Robo Aleste.

When I moved out of the hellhole I lived in back in 2001, I left my original childhood 2600 and all it's games and accessories at the curb for the trash man. The neighbor kid took and interest and wanted the games for himself, so I guess he picked it all up. Still, I left all that stuff behind only to find myself paying collector prices to reacquire less sentimental copies a couple of years later. I was under the delusion that emulation would be enough for me.

Similarly, when I was forced out of a hellhole I lived in back in 1996 or so, I left my childhood Atari 5200 and games behind. This was partly because the building was being bulldozed as I was getting out of it and partly because I despaired of ever being able to play it again (all my controllers were broken). I even still had the box. I really wish I had the time to grab it back then. (But I had a few bigger issues to deal with at that time.)

For whatever reason, the perfectly servicable boxes for Star Control and Shining Force II bugged me (probably because they were cardboard instead of plastic clamshells). So, I took scissors to them and cut them up to put them into plastic cases. So, instead of the attractive original packages I had before, I know have ugly hacked up stuff in the crude plastic rental clamshells.

Ever since I saw copies of Final Fantasy 1 for the NES selling for $150 apiece on ebay, I've regretted not buying every copy the local Circus World was trying to liquidate for 25 cents each.

I tell myself I didn't have the money or the means to store this at the time. I would have just lost it the same way I lost my Atari 5200. But I still kick myself for not doing everything in my power to buy the Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator sit down which the local arcade was selling for $120. I've tried to acquire one a few times since then, and the closest I came was one I bid about $800 on and was still outbid.

What's up with the hellholes? I too was was under the delusion that emulation would be enough for me until I discovered flash cards like Cuttle cart, PowerPak for nes, etc.

I dont want to start...I dont really want to think about it......I should of never started collecting.

Id be a Millionaire!

:rolling:

Ain't it da truth!

I'd even accept being able to undo getting rid of all my stuff twice over. I'd be much wealthier now if I'd kept it all.

Selling all my videogame stuff to buy a SNES. I "had" to sell it because I needed the money to buy the SNES, and because my mother didn't want more consoles in the house, so I thought I was killing two birds with one stone. This is likely why I hate the SNES so much. To get it I sold (complete with their games), my Master System, my TRS-CoCo, and my 2600, along with bags full of other toys and movies. At least I managed to replace the entire 2600 and SMS collections in the wild at minimum prices, but I still haven't gotten around to re-adding an 80s computer to my collection. Also, I'd much prefer having MY 2600 back, as it had a lot more nostalgia attached to it for me. I got rid of the SNES when I started paring down my collection a couple years ago. I gave it away, as I played it zero percent of the time and it had some technical difficulties. I have not missed it for one second in two years.

I regret not putting my foot down when someone convinced me to buy and bought more games then I would ever want or would even play for systems I really didn't care about. That's how I ended up with over 26? systems and hundreds and hundreds of games for many. While still a lot, I would have been content with 7800 and modded 2600, NES toploader, Genesis and the Nomad, Game Gear, Colecovision, PS/PS2, Dreamcast/Treamcast, GBA and DS, and Gamecube except for the oddities, rarities, multicarts, and homebrews for the others and of course my MAME cab. I would be ok tucking those games away and not having the systems. Now that everything is being split up I will probably just stick to those systems and maybe one or two others and be happy as well as having a LOT more room for other things like my huge amount of DVDs, sparkly stuff, china and collectibles, and kids stuff. :)

When I moved out of my folks house I threw away all my old Electronic Games, Atari Age, and Compute magazines.......Yes I was out of my frickin mind............And yes, my mother is one of those 'this stuff needs to be thrown away' types.....so I lost all my boxes for colecovision games, and my complete collection of Choose your own Adventure books!!! No mother!!! WHY?!?!?!

I missed out on a Neo Geo AES console w/ 8 games, 2 controllers, and an MVS converter with 1 game for it. It went for $265 on ebay. Granted, all the games sucked, but in total it was worth quite a bit.

Didn't keep all the boxes I had for my games. Wish I did.

Spent way too much on a Vectrex and it has problems with the controller input when loading carts. Still works okay, I have to reset it a bunch of times, so I'm not too upset about it.