IGNORED

Regrets you may have made with your game collection?

I remember I used to have a Nintendo Game and Watch Snoopy Tennis a longtime ago and let my older sister borrow it. She took it to school and then came back with it totally broken. The screen was crushed and there was LCD liquid coming out. Really made me mad, she accidently put it in her desk and when she closed her desk it accidently crushed it :( . After that I kinda forgot about it,but I remember that was a really fun game.

Luckily for me, my mom is the type that says if I'm going to sell something, make sure I won't regret selling or getting rid of it. She also saved all of my manuals and boxes from the trash when I was a kid.

The only regrets I can remember is selling my Sega Genesis and Game Gear about 8 years ago. I thought that I would be content with my SNES, N64, and my new Gamecube. Though I did manage to get a Genesis for $4 a year ago, it's still nothing like having the one I grew up with. Plus mine still had the box. Still looking for a reasonably priced Game Gear around here.

Selling my Sega Saturn and game collection. At the time, I had a PSX as well, but it died while I was in the middle of playing FF VII and a couple of other RPG. The Saturn and it's games had to go so I could buy a new PSX (the Saturn was collecting dust). I had most of the Saturn RPG except for Panzeer Dragoon Saga. I really miss Guardian Heros. I have a Saturn now again with a few games, but it will be impossible to ever get my collection back again.

Other regret is trading my copy of Suikoden 2 in back in the day. Was done with it, and had no clue what it was worth.

At least I have kept my black label FF VII

Regret #1: Leaving my childhood 2600 collection behind, along with most of my Saturn instructions, when I was losing my home. MY dad was able to get to them after I had left. I didn't know if I had left them behind, or left them in a stroage building that I couldn't pay the rent on, but it runs out Dad was able to retrieve the stuff.

So he hands me my Supercharger later on and says he was gonna try to get hose games onto the computer, and that's why he kept them. I asked him what he did with the rest of the stuff.

"I couldn't get it to work, so I think I threw it out." My older brother had told him he wished the stuff was still around so it could have been ebayed, and I told him I was still very interested in playing 2600 games! Daddy looked around for the stuff, because he wasn't sure if he'd tossed it yet, but when he moved there was no trace of it.

Incidentally, I have replaced much of what was tossed out, and I gave my light sixer to my brother with about 50 games. He was excited to get his hands on a VCS again.

Regret #2: Having some rare Game Boy games stolen at work.

Regret #3: Selling off the loin's share of my portable games to buy a Deamcast, then losing the Dreamcast. No diss to the DC, it's a great system, but SFIII, Time Crisis, and all those portable games were worth a ton more than the $200 I needed for the DC.

Regret #4: Losing my DC, and copies of FF7, FF8 (both PC versions), Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask in my divorce. They were all CIB. She took the DC and the N64 games, but she left the N64 itself alone! :mad:

Regret #5: Having a piano black Slim PSP break down on me. I got soap into it while cleaning it, and it ruined something. I was able to RMA it, even after trying to fix it myself, but still losing any console sucks.

Regret #6: Having a bout of divorce anger and smashing my CIB black label FF7. I was later able to replace the case/instructions, and a member here has one of the discs out of the replacement set. I was probably angry over losing the PC version. Bump all that, smashing ANY game in a fit of rage:

Games I've smashed (or Hall of Shame if you like):

Red Alert 2 Allied CD

FF7 black label

Star Wars : ESB for Game Boy (it survived)

Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (it also survived but the Game Gear didn't)

Goldeneye

Perfect Dark (it survived, but I should have thrown it at the person I was angry with!)

Fishing Derby (this was accidental, and the cart looks/works brand new since I repaired it)

wipEout purE (another accident, still works)

GTA: Liberty City Stories (see wipEout above)

Regret #7: Smashing controllers to the tune of $30 per replacement.

Regret #8: Ever shopping at GameStop! (j/k) :D

And yes, my mother is one of those 'this stuff needs to be thrown away' types

My wife is one of those people too. It was a source of some conflict first when we moved in together. However, we have come to an understanding over videogames. Two slide away tubs under the bed, two plastic drawer tub things in the basement, a stackable Rubbermade tub full of accessories, a basket inside the entertainment centre, and our gigantic opening coffee table hide the collection nearly entirely from view, so she is okay with it. Best of all, the giant coffee table has room to take at least a hundred more Gamecube and Wii games, and one of the under the bed tubs can easily handle the rest of the 7800 library. Also, she doesn't need to know where the Lynx Collection is (in my briefcase because I'm a responsible working guy with a lot of time to kill on the road).

My wife is one of those people too. It was a source of some conflict first when we moved in together. However, we have come to an understanding over videogames. Two slide away tubs under the bed, two plastic drawer tub things in the basement, a stackable Rubbermade tub full of accessories, a basket inside the entertainment centre, and our gigantic opening coffee table hide the collection nearly entirely from view, so she is okay with it. Best of all, the giant coffee table has room to take at least a hundred more Gamecube and Wii games, and one of the under the bed tubs can easily handle the rest of the 7800 library. Also, she doesn't need to know where the Lynx Collection is (in my briefcase because I'm a responsible working guy with a lot of time to kill on the road).

LOL, has your wife been talking to mine?!? I've got the same set-up. My gameroom currently doubles as our guest bedroom, but when we eventually move in a year or so I get to get a true dedicated gameroom. :D

When I moved out of my folks house I threw away all my old Electronic Games, Atari Age, and Compute magazines.......Yes I was out of my frickin mind............And yes, my mother is one of those 'this stuff needs to be thrown away' types.....so I lost all my boxes for colecovision games, and my complete collection of Choose your own Adventure books!!! No mother!!! WHY?!?!?!

dude those choose your own adv. books are classic!!!

.....i too got rid of mine :( :(

The biggest regret I ever ever had was hanging on to my extensive collection for such a long time. And building it up in the first place. I had complete docs and box and controller sets and tons of misc accessories for all the following systems.

Astrocade, atari 400/800/2600/5200/1040/520, Colecovision, Vectrex, O2, Trs-80 CoCo/pocket computer, Intellivision, Sinclair, Vic20, C64, PC, Telstar, arcadia, Adam, Amiga 500/1000, Ti-99/4a.. and many more.

I did save over 6000lbs. of Apple ][, ][+, //e, //c, //c+, ///, ///+ hardware, software, documentation, pictures, videos, ads, manuals, magazines, notes, and accessories, and 9200+ floppies, books, newsletters, including literally every type of hardware board and software product (with manuals) that was ever made. Minus the SayBrook 68000 accelerator card. Still need to acquire that, then I can finally trash my remaining collection. My other games collection was similarly in-depth.

In retrospect putting this crap in the trash truck was the best thing since I had a ton of fun rebuilding the collection in a virtual style with emulation and the file archiving capabilities of NTFS - and a 500GB hard disk. Great! Freed from earthly physical constraints, my collection will last forever and can go anyplace. Eventually, sooner rather than later I will dissolve the Apple ][ series collection.

About the only remaining thing from my console collection, aside from the perfectly preserved apple junk, are the chips from my 1st heavy sixer, We pulled out all the chips and put them in a baggie with hand lotion to stop corrosion and aging. I am impressed with how well it worked! Mind you, just a microdab, smeared on the inside of the baggie for anti-static purposes. If I remember, they are dated 1976 or 1977 or whatever. But definitely mid-70's, I'm certain. I remember doing that in 1979. I still have the big hair hippie pics of me and my sister doing it in the garage. Tools and everything. I was curious how the damned thing worked, so that’s why we took it apart. I never bothered to put it back together because I liked the pretty colors of the resistors and Chicklet-gum-shaped mylar capacitors. I thought that huge blue electrolytic capacitor was cool too. I even remember cutting up the original box and positioning the 2600 and power supply and joysticks inside so I would have something resembling a huge laptop. I made it so the top of the box would flip open and up. I would record my high scores with a Polaroid camera and paste them thumbnail style on the inside. Eventually this contraption fell apart and I used it as protective cardboard when I’d build and spray paint model airplanes. But before I trashed that rig, I had even made a portable battery pack with 3 or 4 9-volt batteries, you know, the one with the 9 and cat flying through the “0” part of the 9. And I had a 40 pound b/w portable tv. Heavy because of the batteries built into the base.. It was a ton of fun, we’d pack this stuff in the back seat of the old Chevy and my idiot parents would drive aimlessly around so I could pretend I was flying a space capsule. Star Ship or something or other was my game of choice back then.. My first space simulator experience! I kid U not.

Oh I think I still have my asteroids button and Atari VideoGame Club Member Card too. The black one with the silver star. Looks sort of like a sheriff’s badge of a sort. Yes. Ha! I remember I was so proud of that I had it laminated and even took it to school with me and asked the teacher to pass it around, which she did. And she even taped it to the blackboard for the day and wrote something about videogames with an arrow pointing to it. Or something.

Edited by Keatah

The biggest regret I ever ever had was hanging on to my extensive collection for such a long time. And building it up in the first place. I had complete docs and box and controller sets and tons of misc accessories for all the following systems.

Astrocade, atari 400/800/2600/5200/1040/520, Colecovision, Vectrex, O2, Trs-80 CoCo/pocket computer, Intellivision, Sinclair, Vic20, C64, PC, Telstar, arcadia, Adam, Amiga 500/1000, Ti-99/4a.. and many more.

I did save over 6000lbs. of Apple ][, ][+, //e, //c, //c+, ///, ///+ hardware, software, documentation, pictures, videos, ads, manuals, notes, and accessories, and 9200+ floppies, including literally every type of hardware board and software product (with manuals) that was ever made. My other games collection was similarly in-depth.

In retrospect putting this crap in the trash truck was the best thing since I had a ton of fun rebuilding the collection in a virtual style with emulation and the file archiving capabilities of NTFS - and a 500GB hard disk. Great! Freed from earthly physical constraints, my collection will last forever and can go anyplace. Eventually, sooner rather than later I will dissolve the Apple ][ series collection.

TRASH TRUCK!!!! You should have given it to me!!!

I used to have around 30 lynx games with boxes & manuals.. but after my friends broke my two lynx handhelds I first tried selling the games... but nobody was willing to pay money for it. So I ended up just giving them away to the same people I tried selling it too. 15 years later I'm trying to get everything back.. at crazy prices :S

I got a-rid of this baggage just as the internet was becoming commercialized. So classic gaming groups like this weren't around. Otherwise I would have posted notification. I'll be disseminating the Apple ][ collection soon enough. I ain't gonna post it on ebay, someone will need a u-haul and 3 hours to load it. Or I just walk it to the curb.

I'll post here soon with pickup dates.

Edited by Keatah

Selling a copy of Congo Bongo with manual for the Intellivision and a copy of Meteorites for the 5200.

I sold the Congo Bongo because I just moved somewhere and needed cash. The Meteorites I sold because I didn't have a working 5200 and was pissed about my experience with finding one. Now that I have one(with a working controller :D ), I'm pissed that I gave it up.

I found and traded off a Condor Attack. I'm not going to say what I got for them.

them? did you trade condor and attack separately? :D

i used to have a friend - son of a diplomat with too much money - that gave me his collection of handhelds back in 1984 ... some of them are worth a fortune now ... but i gave them away to kids a few years after i got them. they were all boxed and complete ... :(

at that time they couldnt keep up with the multicolored super 8 bit graphics of the c64 and just bored me.

also gave away a boxed vectrex in 1987 thinking it was some old junk ... i found that one on the fleamarket for 20$ back then ...

Edited by jahfish

LOL, has your wife been talking to mine?!? I've got the same set-up. My gameroom currently doubles as our guest bedroom, but when we eventually move in a year or so I get to get a true dedicated gameroom. :D

lol, my consoles are all out in the open. I've got classic gaming stuff everywhere, including in some of my kitchen cabinets. There ain't pots and pans in there, there are things like an Arcade Shark, half a dozen or more light guns, some paddles, and a Twin Stick. Sounds like ya'll's better halves would have a coronary in here.

Selling my NES that was owned by me and me alone.

Letting my dad throw away my pong system because the RF adapter was fried (he lied when he said that the console as a whole wouldn't ever work since it broke. I think he said that to get a NES....)

Selling my original N64 and games. Had to rebuy it all..

Selling my ps2, my ps2 slim, my other ps2 slim.. and all the games in between over the years. I'm not getting rid of this one damnit! haha

Selling Dracula X for the Sega Saturn.

Wow, that all sounds so depressing. The good news is that I have everything I want now that I used to have. Just goes to show you, if you aren't 110% about selling something, DONT GET RID OF IT.

One selling off my original heavy sixer with all my games, manuals, boxes and accessories. I kept everything, to the dismay of my mother at the time (yes she was one of those mothers too). Eventually I sold it all. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB! I had over 100 games (yes OVER 100) and a lot, A LOT, of them were rare ones. I will never be able to replace all that I sold.

Two, trading my original Sega Game Gear in to EB Games for cash. I figured I didn't play it so why keep it. I should have never done that. Had all the manuals, boxes, the Master System converter and other accessories. About 20, 25 games for that one a few I haven't been able to find again. I did replace it and a lot of the games though. Got a Game Gear and 5 games about 5 years ago for $20. Now I've got two Game Gears and even more games.

Rich

One other blunder was the loss of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for the Dreamcast. Recently, my XBOX360 crapped out, and it wasn't covered by the extended warranty. So I had to sort through my stuff and pull out the things I didn't care about anymore to sell. I sold some Dreamcast games in a lot plus other stuff, got the needed cash, bought a Jasper 360 and never thought about.

Until a couple of weeks ago...My son has enjoyed Streets of Rage II and III. I'm not a fan of fighting games, but I'll let it go as long as it is rated teen or under. Since he likes the Marvel comics, I thought he would like to give MC 2 a try. But it wasn't there.

Turns out it accidently wound up in that lot I sold. Seeing ebay prices, I'll probably never get that game back.

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea whatever became of my Atari 2600, the collection of around 50+ carts including the Supercharger w/tapes. Add to that my NES and the carts I had for that system.

As the line from "Plan 9 From Outer Space" would have it: "Stupid...stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid"...

My biggest regret:

Selling all my retro computing collection in 1998 when I had a wedding coming up along with the birth of my first child. We needed the room and the money - the two of us were at college at the time.

I had just about every machien you could get in the UK between 1984 - 1996 - some were brought second hand. They had boxes and all.

I kept the N64 - I'd not long had it and was awaiting Ocarina of Time, my PC (of course) and a Gameboy Original (mainly because both me and the wife liked using it).

In all, I got about £2,500 for the whole lot, sold to seperate people. Over the next few years, I brought replacements of 8 bit computers but sold them later on when I got offered good money.

-

I'm now getting the stuff back but it's not easy with the prices people charge. I now have a dedicated room (made easier with teh neighbours gone (we brought their house cheap - they won the lottery and moved into a bigger house and made some modifications.))

-

Second regret - not paying £15 for a Jaguar over the car boot sale last year.

Regret 3: Not paying £5 for a 2600 plus games three weeks ago at the same car boot sale

1. Opening up my ever-faithfully working original Atari 2600 woody 4 switch when I was about 14 to find out what was rattling around inside there only to fry the circuit board with static electricity.

2. Selling my first NES and all my mint 3 dozen CIB games to FuncoLand for money to buy baseball cards or something.

3. Loosing a shoebox full of games and manuals for that Atari 2600 somewhere in my parents house when I was away at college (I think they threw them out but won't admit it...)

4. NOT buying a few of those odd looking NES (top loaders) at TRU when they were on clearance for $10!!! I was too concerned with PS1 deals...

5. Damaging the sound on my second NES while trying to open and clean after senior year in college (that's when the retro-gaming bug hit me for good...)

6. Missing my third NES along with 128 games mostly CIB to pay for all the baby furniture needed after finding out the first one was on the way... NOTE: don't regret this but wish it hadn't been necessary. (to her credit, the wife tried to talk me out of it)

(don't regret giving the fourth to my brother)

7. Selling my fifth NES given to me for free from a co-worker to buy a big gift for the wife (along with my best PS1/GEN games).

8. NOT grabbing the Atari 5200 with the VIC controllers and trackball for $16 I saw at Goodwill yesterday!

I came to the conclusion long ago never to sell/lose/get rid of anything if at all possible but I keep doing it anyways...