IGNORED

Prehistoric Times available for preorder until April 3rd

Mr. Apollo

If they sold out there, surley someone bought one is a member here. Please post your review. Thanks you for your support. HHW

BTW, the show wasn't so crowded that you had elbows in a55hole5 - so the fact that they "sold out" by 10:30 AM wasn't because of big demand but of low supply.

I was there too...got there late. I saw that the carts were made by Hozer, not by the guy who was selling them. I have no idea how many he had...he said "not many". Not many indeed.

Are the labels peeling yet???

i was at tmg on sunday. i got there at about 8:45 and immediately went to the salute games table. they looked to have about a dozen cartridges and after a quick lap around the show, they were sold out.

they had a demo set up on free play and i picked a copy up before i actually tried the game. i have to say its not bad. the 1st level is the screenshot thats been posted here. you play the lil pink guy and the stick is your spear. you toss the spear at the animal who randomly moves from tree to tree. if you enter the trees you scare the animal away and have to retreat until he returns. if you miss your toss you have to retrieve your spear at the top of the screen. if you hit the animal you stand on the body to gain points (which double as your hit points). if you feel youre strong enough you proceed up to the next screen where boulders rain down on you in a zig-zag pattern (think of the bats in frankensteins monster) and increasing speed in subsequent screens. once past the boulders you reach a lava maze. i haven't made it past that yet because i haven't had enough free time to practice.

while the presentation is basic and a tad amateurish, im having fun and actually want to continue playing. thats the highest praise i can personally give a game. im sure more seasoned atari gamers will savage it, but im enjoying myself and i don't feel ripped off at all. id post a gameplay vid if i possessed something other than a ps3 to do my computing on lol. i have to give the creators kudos for a fairly original premise as well.

it came with a double sided instruction sheet. ill try to post a pic somehow, since im not using a pc it may be a lil hard.

If you don't have a PS3 with the card readers, you can insert any card reader into one of the USB slots, in fact, you maybe be able to plug your digital camera directly into the PS3. ;)

thanks for linking that. hard to do html with a dual shock. :(

I actually just attached the picture. ;)

You don't have a USB keyboard on your PS3? Don't tell me you type your posts with a Dualshock. :-o

i do use a dual shock, i found the keyboard to be too cumbersome lol. i really should just invest in a pc but i really wouldn't use it much and i know id end up getting sucked into playing world of warcraft with my coworkers. though the thought of emulation has been tickling my fancy thanks to these boards.

btw the prehistoric times creator thanks the AA forums for all their help. :?:

from what i heard theyre supposed to start filling orders in the next few weeks, unfortunately i don't know anything more than that.

i do use a dual shock, i found the keyboard to be too cumbersome lol.

Okay, now that's masochistic dedication if I ever heard it!

btw the prehistoric times creator thanks the AA forums for all their help. :?:

:ponder: Wow. Like. They never even showed up again or responded to any of the questions/requests/comments that I know of. Despite the okay review (thanks, btw), I'm still not overly impressed, but I'm slightly less not overly impressed than I was before I guess. The whole thing just seems a bit odd, but maybe they're more sincere than I had originally thought.

im usually fairly easy to please but i know a crap game when i play one and i don't get that feeling from this game. amateurish? yes. crap? imo no.

realistically if this game were some type of cynical cash grab wouldn't they charge more than $15 and knowing the collector mentality, package it a little nicer than a bare cartridge and an instruction sheet? imo a cash grab is signed/numbered, "limited edition" balls to the wall hermetically sealed packaging and a $40-$50 price tag. this is just some dudes and their lil game. you guys are infinitely more knowledgeable about matters such as this than i am so i bow to your wisdom and judgement. im just a small time "for fun" collector who is just happy to walk away with a new game that didn't cost me a fortune, at the 1st game convention ive ever been to. im sure time will teach me to separate the scammers from the good guys but as we stand im still naive, wide-eyed and hopeful lol.

im usually fairly easy to please but i know a crap game when i play one and i don't get that feeling from this game. amateurish? yes. crap? imo no.

realistically if this game were some type of cynical cash grab wouldn't they charge more than $15 and knowing the collector mentality, package it a little nicer than a bare cartridge and an instruction sheet? imo a cash grab is signed/numbered, "limited edition" balls to the wall hermetically sealed packaging and a $40-$50 price tag. this is just some dudes and their lil game. you guys are infinitely more knowledgeable about matters such as this than i am so i bow to your wisdom and judgement. im just a small time "for fun" collector who is just happy to walk away with a new game that didn't cost me a fortune, at the 1st game convention ive ever been to. im sure time will teach me to separate the scammers from the good guys but as we stand im still naive, wide-eyed and hopeful lol.

Hey, someone just posted Prehistoric Times on the "Spreading the love with Free Games and more! - 3rd Edition!" thread...I guess they're done with it already...

Good for you my friend. It is all about fun. I am glad you like it. If I was there, I would have picked up one Up to. :)

I posted this in the other forum before I saw this thread. I see someone else also reviewed it. And funny, he also compares the second screen to Frankenstein's Monster, just like I did.

Anyway, here's my take on it.

Ok, I've had this game for a few days now. Is it the best Atari 2600 game in the world? No. But it's far, far from being the worst.

The one picture that has been shown is of the first screen. You have a spear which you have to toss at dinosaurs - who arrive on the screen one at a time. Once you hit them (which earns you points) you go and eat them by touching them. That also earns you points. Near as I can tell, you can spend as much time on this first board as you want. I recommend staying on this board until you have at least 30,000 points.

At any point, you can move your guy to the top of the screen and onto the next screen. On the next screen you're subjected to a series of boulders coming down at you. First there's one big boulder, followed by three smaller ones - side-by-side - then repeat. Your job is to maneuver around the falling boulders to reach the top of the screen. As a comparison, think of the second screen on Frankenstein's Monster as you try to avoid the bats and get to the top. The only difference here is that each time you touch a boulder, not only does it push you down a bit, but it also takes points away from you. If at any point your score drops to zero, your game ends.

Anyway, you have to get past the boulder screen four times. Each time the boulders get faster and faster. It's not too difficult to get past any of them. The big boulder is pretty easy to avoid. The three smaller ones are more difficult. But overall it's not too hard to get past this level.

The third and final board is a little more challenging. You start at the bottom of the screen. And as time passes, a maze grows all around you. Your job is to maneuver through the maze to get this chalice-type thing at the top of the screen. You cannot touch the walls! If you do, it's instant death and the game ends. Also, as each second passes, your score goes down. So you need to move! This board is the trickiest. And the maze corridors are thin at some points. So you have to move carefully. Also, the maze plays a cruel joke on you. As you're about to reach the chalice thing, a new wall comes up, blocking your path - while a new path opens up in another part of the maze. So you have to backtrack.

Get the chalice and you hear a happy tune. Then the game goes back to board #1 again, and you continue.

That's it!

It's a decent game, but nothing super. But I enjoyed it on some level. I don't think I overpaid for it. Others may disagree. But hey, it's a new Atari game.

And that's cool.

Edited by IHATETHEBEARS

The third and final board is a little more challenging. You start at the bottom of the screen. And as time passes, a maze grows all around you. Your job is to maneuver through the maze to get this chalice-type thing at the top of the screen. You cannot touch the walls! If you do, it's instant death and the game ends. Also, as each second passes, your score goes down. So you need to move! This board is the trickiest. And the maze corridors are thin at some points. So you have to move carefully. Also, the maze plays a cruel joke on you. As you're about to reach the chalice thing, a new wall comes up, blocking your path - while a new path opens up in another part of the maze. So you have to backtrack.

Get the chalice and you hear a happy tune. Then the game goes back to board #1 again, and you continue.

That's it!

It's a decent game, but nothing super. But I enjoyed it on some level. I don't think I overpaid for it. Others may disagree. But hey, it's a new Atari game.

And that's cool.

Wow, judging by your review it sounds like a really good game. The maze stage sounds really cool and I did not get to try it at the TMG Expo.

If anything, Salute Games' posting of one single screenshot of their game has done a great disservice to themselves. Judging by that one screenshot, the game looks like a piece of crap.

Wow, judging by your review it sounds like a really good game. The maze stage sounds really cool and I did not get to try it at the TMG Expo.

If anything, Salute Games' posting of one single screenshot of their game has done a great disservice to themselves. Judging by that one screenshot, the game looks like a piece of crap.

Exactly. The thing is that their marketing really just sucked. And made me (and I guess others) suspicious that it might be a crappy game. Granted, now that it's out and people will be giving reviews, they'll probably still sell a bunch so won't be hurt in the end. Just could have avoided the initial skepticism and cynicism by marketing a little better.

Then again, they got a lot of discussion going about their game. Maybe it was by design. Maybe, just maybe, it was... marketing genius!

Edited by Mirage1972

I think the non response is they are hooked up with Hozer and he is not to liked around here. :ponder:

Just to be clear, my mention of Hozer was not in any way intended to steer people away from buying the game. I was simply pointing out that the actual carts were not made by Salute Games, and the shortage of carts on hand at the TMG show may or may not have been related to the fact that they obtained them from another supplier.