IGNORED

4 sega genesis protos 150 shipped

Buyatari

I don't think you can tell if they're finished or not from that picture. In fact, Preview versions are often unfinished and marked "For Preview Only" because they don't want you reviewing unfinished code.

Finished or not they are prototype carts with eproms.

I don't think you can tell if they're finished or not from that picture. In fact, Preview versions are often unfinished and marked "For Preview Only" because they don't want you reviewing unfinished code.

Sorry for not really explaining this but what I meant by a preview cart is that for games like this back when the game was finished the company would send off a few early review copies for magazines to review them and usually cheap labels like the ones on those carts are used(atleast for the genesis) and the were also used for display set ups. So no they are not prototypes , they are not unfinished and they are not worth $150.

Edited by mister_pal

Let's not shit all over the poor guy's thread, if you don't want to buy them.. don't buy them. Prototype or preview, whatever word you want to use, the picture makes it clear what he is selling. If you think it's too high, don't buy. I see stuff for sale on ebay all the time that's over priced. I don't message each one telling them how much they suck for listing it.

Sometimes I really wish the for sale forums here had the same rules as Assembler. :roll:

I still contend you can't tell they're unfinished by that picture alone. I've worked for video game magazines starting with GameFan in 1992 and we got carts like that all the time. They range from unplayable to completely done. There's simply no way to tell without plugging them in and comparing to a retail game (or comparing the dumps).

Sorry for not really explaining this but what I meant by a preview cart is that for games like this back when the game was finished the company would send off a few early copies for magazines to review them and usually cheap labels like the ones on those carts are used(atleast for the genesis) and the were also used for display set ups. So no they are not prototypes you think they are, they are not unfinished and they are not worth $150.

WTF?

In common parlance, code on eproms not in released form (as in board only or case without production label) = prototype. Prototypes are either preview (aka beta, alpha, prerelease, unfinished, or different from released) or review (final code) copies.

These are priced to sell at less than $40 per piece. I would be amazed if you could find any prototype for less than that.

And let's not continue this semantic argument about the definition of a prototype. What matters most is what the community in general accepts as a prototype.

Edited by ianoid

I apologize for being an ass about this but what I meant to put in my rambling disscussion yet left out was that I was talking about magazine review / display copies which 3 of the games most likely are due to the label. I agree that $150 for four prototype is good, for four review copies it isn't.

Edited by mister_pal

These came from a company employee not a magazine. Not that it matters. Games sent to a magazine are still prototypes. You can clearly see the labels are not retail. Even if it has the same exact code as the final version it is a prototype because they are on prototype boards with eproms. Some prototypes have differences in the code and some don't.

Anyway in my experience those marked preview almost always have some difference and sometimes those marked review do as well. Sorry you don't care for the price. Not sure how much cheaper you expect to find carts like this these days than less than $40 a pop. I think the eproms cost more than what I am asking. They are sports games and that sucks but they have nice labels and could even be recycled for something else at this price.

I apologize for being an ass about this but what I meant to put in my rambling disscussion yet left out was that I was talking about magazine review / display copies which 3 of the games most likely are due to the label. I agree that $150 for four prototype is good, for four review copies it isn't.

Don't worry about it...I won't ship to Canada anyway ;)

Wait so you've seen the eproms?....... :dunce: Sorry about that then because those carts looked incredibly close to some magazine review carts (which are not nearly worth as much) I have seen before so I figured something was amiss. That is a good deal though as I mentioned somewhere in my last post possibly. You would still ship to Canada right?

PS. Sorry for crapping on your topic

Edited by mister_pal

I don't think $150 is a bad price at all. The only thing I would have done differently would be to sell them individually for $40 a piece, as I think that would expand your potential buyer pool.

Those were a nice find. I found a "Toy Story" proto/preview copy at a flea market one time for like 2 bucks. Really bad label, but it made a nice addition to my Genesis collection.

Chris

Wait so you've seen the eproms?....... :dunce: Sorry about that then because those carts looked incredibly close to some magazine review carts (which are not nearly worth as much) I have seen before so I figured something was amiss. That is a good deal though as I mentioned somewhere in my last post possibly. You would still ship to Canada right?

PS. Sorry for crapping on your topic

I didn't open them up but they are quite heavy. If they had production boards inside I would not consider them prototypes. However, I have never seen a label like this on a production cart before.

The three with nicer labels each have another label under the top one. I can make out Zero Tolerance, and Bubsy II on two of them but the third I can not tell. I guess I should power these up who know what games are on them.

That really would be beneficial especially if you want someone to buy them. I'll even second that dividing them up probably would sell them faster. I also don't see how finding a genesis to test them on would make the price go up if you already have the system.

Well I wanted to know if they work.....

That really would be beneficial especially if you want someone to buy them. I'll even second that dividing them up probably would sell them faster. I also don't see how finding a genesis to test them on would make the price go up if you already have the system.

Well I wanted to know if they work.....

Well I am lazy. I priced them low in a lot to get rid of them and be done with it. If you saw my heaps of cords you would know this may or may not be an easy task.

If I have to track down a system and then find the cords to test these and then sell them one at a time the lazy price is no longer good. I am sure they work the carts look mint.

Thats okay I got a bit of a mess(actually a gigantic one) right next to me so I kinda should of realised that one. Unfortunately I was going through more of my crap and I can't find anything for a decent trade except for my weird rare c64 cart that you don't seem real interested unless by some extremely unlikely coincidence you like Classical Lps. Sorry about that wish I had something decent :(.