IGNORED

my xbox is RROD!

Zeptari

Yeah I think visually you're not going to see much difference. Many of the games i think look AMAZING on the PS3, aren't available on the 360 (Folklore, Afrika etc...) I've actually heard some of the game available on both play worse on the PS3. Like F.E.A.R. for instance. I thought I remember people reporting the PS3 version had crappy loading throughout the game not present in the 360 version. Really though, stories like that are few and far between. The PS3 is a good system with enough exclusives to make it worth getting especially if you can get it for free!!

Very true.

On a side note I read somewhere that Microsoft is getting rid of the coffin. Basically box it yourself with a label they provide.

Maybe better because you dont have to wait for a box.

That is the way I went and it was pretty fast. Just put it in a box, print out their label, and take it to UPS. The only condition MS asks is that you do not send it in its original box.

On a side note I read somewhere that Microsoft is getting rid of the coffin. Basically box it yourself with a label they provide.

Maybe better because you dont have to wait for a box.

This has been an option for a long time. (It wasnt the first couple times I sent a 360 in but every time since it has been)

You can choose to wait for them to ship a box, or box it yourself. (I always ship it myself since I have two coffins at the ready!)

I haven't heard of any changes to the process. Maybe they ran out!

Edited by moycon

Yep, Tis true.

As of May 26th, you can't request a coffin.

I'm glad I have a couple just in case, really sucks for folks who are going to have to find shit to pack a 360 in so it doesnt shatter.

Yes i noticed when i put in for the repair the only options are print label or they will send a label. I'm half tempted to ship it in the box my PS3 came in but with my luck they will return it with anchovy paste instead of grease on the heat sinks :rolling:

Just curious as to why so many xbox thingies die like this...is it a PSU issue or something

Surely M$ most have known about such defects going back to the original xbox, so why haven't they still rectified it...not surprising why the WiiWii and the ps3 are walking away with the market

or perhaps the xbox and it's variants isn't the hen that laid the golden egg that m$ are making it out to be

Just curious as to why so many xbox thingies die like this...is it a PSU issue or something

Surely M$ most have known about such defects going back to the original xbox, so why haven't they still rectified it...not surprising why the WiiWii and the ps3 are walking away with the market

or perhaps the xbox and it's variants isn't the hen that laid the golden egg that m$ are making it out to be

It's mostly an overheating issue the design is not conducive to good ventilation and the cooling fans do not seem to be much help, My first one died from the overheating issue and my current one developed an internal fault where it no longer recognizes the hard drive. A nice feature on my PS3 is that if it starts to overheat the red and green led's will start flashing alerting you to shut it down and let it cool off before anything bad happens.

Interesting that it's an overheating issue then that is affecting xbox, i would have thought that M$'s experience in the PC market would have readied M$ when it came to designing the xbox...or didn't M$ bother listening to PC makers when it came to designing the cooling system used in the xbox

Interesting that it's an overheating issue then that is affecting xbox, i would have thought that M$'s experience in the PC market would have readied M$ when it came to designing the xbox...or didn't M$ bother listening to PC makers when it came to designing the cooling system used in the xbox

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360...e-console-woes/

'Course again, the current "Jasper" units have apparently solved the RROD issue. http://kotaku.com/5138903/now-you-can-be-c...bought-a-jasper

Since I got mine repaired, I always download games "im working on" to the hardrive and I also turn it off after a few hours or so. I just dont trust it anymore.

Mine is a lot colder than before, strange because I sent out a unit that was pretty close to launch date (non HD model) and I received the"same" type of unit back.

BUT it runs a lot cooler.

:ponder:

Im wondering if they swapped the main board out or something. Dont know.

Edited by cimerians

My virtual bud on IRC not more than 30 seconds ago.. I kid you not.

[16:03] <@[Eric]> oh yoy mother fucker

[16:04] <@[Eric]> my 360 is dead

[16:05] <@NE146> really?

[16:05] <@[Eric]> jesus christ

[16:05] <@[Eric]> this is my 4th 360 come the fuck on

...another one bites the dust! :P

Damn.

Unbelievable.

My friend is on his third, he wants a PS3 for some other types of games...I told him to hold off for a price cut but that may help with splitting playing time.

He's not a big retro fan otherwise I would tell him to hook up an NES or Atari....

:P

'Course again, the current "Jasper" units have apparently solved the RROD issue.

Not entirely. My first Jasper red ringed at about five weeks. The replacement is still working after 5 months, but I doubt it'll make it through the next three years without breaking again, especially with the E74 error being reported more and more. Hopefully they can get it right with 'Valhalla.'

not surprising why the WiiWii and the ps3 are walking away with the market

You have made some very inaccurate statements here.

First, XBox 360 is second behind the Wii with 8 million more units sold than PS3 and 20 million less than Wii. That shows that the console itself has nothing to do with its standing in the market right now. The Wii is where it is because of its ability to attract casual gamers. This is reflected in the attach rate of the Wii which is less than 2. That means that a large number of people simply buy the Wii with Wii Sports and then never buy another game. A lot of people also buy one more game and the highest sellers are games in the same vein as Wii Sports or other casual games such as Wii Fit. Then there is a segment that buys more traditional games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Legend of Zelda, etc. Those are gamers like me. I own 6 Wii games. Gamers like me are obviously offset by the casual gamer in the attach rate. The PS3 has almost the same attach rate as the Wii so not only is it selling less consoles than both its competitors it is also moving little software. That is bad for Sony. Nintendo has large console sells, which sell for a profit, so the only negative effect of its low attach rate is that third-party developers might be weary to make a large investment in developing for it. I think this has been well reflected in the fact that the Wii top sellers are all first-party games.

So the Wii has sold more consoles than the 360 but has a pretty low attach rate (thought increasing) while the PS3 has the double whammy of trailing behind both of its competitors in hardware sales and also experiencing a low attach rate. The Xbox was known for its phenomenal attach rate which was higher than either the PS2 or the Gamecube except during a period of 2003 when the PS2 set the attach rate record at over 12 units to 1. The XBox 360 also has a great attach rate. Currently the 360 has an attach rate of over 8 units to 1. The real good thing is that the XBox had a consistently high attach rate and so does the XBox 360. As of the beginning of the year the 360 had produced more revenue for third-party developers than both the Wii and PS3 combined.

So I think your idea that Wii and PS3 are walking away with the market isn't just a little stretch but actually way off the mark. MS has an issue with hardware failure but their software sales, software library, and online system are all at the top of the market right now. And they have nothing to be concerned about when it comes to their hardware sales numbers. The bottom line is that the XBox 360 is in a good position. The PS3 is doing better than most thought it was going to do after its terrible launch but it has not overtaken the 360 and it is unlikely that it will this generation.

Surely M$ most have known about such defects going back to the original xbox, so why haven't they still rectified it...

The other thing you stated that is incorrect is that the XBox contained similar defects to the 360 which it did not and the failure rate was nowhere close to the 360. The V1 XBox contained a defective DVD drive (the Thompson) which was not used in any of the 5 other revisions of the console. The V1 also contained a defect in the manufacture of the PSU which caused a handful of fires. The defect was fixed on later revisions of the console and owners of the defective units were sent a plug that contains a GFCI to keep a fire from occurring. These problems did not cause a mass failure or mass return of the units. I used my XBox very very heavily and I still have my V1 console working and the Thompson even works.

The 360 problems are completely different and it has nothing to do with the PSU. The 360 simply has an overheating problem. The hardware in the 360 is very different from the XBox hardware and cooling it is quite different. The major contributing factor to the first consoles overheating was a combination of inadequate cooling and the design of the hardware used to secure the heatsinks which are called x-braces. I am not going to go into the details of why the x-braces caused problems as I have gone into a lot of detail on it in the past and your welcome to use the search feature. Anyway, this problem exists in all XBox 360's up to recent versions (in which the problem may be finally resolved due to increased cooling capability and reduction of heat production through hardware advancement.) I believe that until recently MS was producing consoles that had almost a 100% failure rate. Did they do it knowingly to start? I don't believe that they did. This problem has cost them a lot of money. But at some point they knew they had a problem but they continued producing units and they failed to disclose the issue. By the time they finally fessed up and extended warranties they were already so deep that they expected the replacement program would cost them at least $1billion.

Regardless of that I still love my 360 and think it is the best console this generation. That doesn't mean I don't think my Wii purchase was worth it. I enjoy playing that frequently as well. And I will get a PS3 when the prices looks right. But the 360 is still going to be the most played console in my house for quite some time to come.

Welp.. with all that being said, let me just say that my Falcon 360 bought last year has officially gone e74 TONIGHT. :lol: What a piece o' crap.

Ah yeah.. biyotch.

:( sorry to hear that.

It really is no biggie actually.. let's just say it's just an inconvenience. But at the end of the day, we have 'ways'... :ponder: :P

• 3 weeks later...
Here we go again :roll: My first 360 RROD'ed about 24 hours after I bought it. The replacement did not even last a year as it just died a few hours ago.... It didn't RROD this time though. This time it quit detecting the hard drive! :x So now it's my turn to do the exchange thing hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Other than blue ray does the PS3 have any technological edge over the 360?

Just got my repaired unit back today! They attached a letter explaining that they just replaced it rather than repair it and bumped my warranty to the end of Sept. and threw in a 1 month Gold Membership. I'm setting it up as I type.

The Wii is where it is because of its ability to attract casual gamers. This is reflected in the attach rate of the Wii which is less than 2. That means that a large number of people simply buy the Wii with Wii Sports and then never buy another game.

Yup.

A large part of the reason (and also why the Natal is going to be a long term failure) is that most people play video games to relax. Not jump around their living room flailiing their arms around like a moron. Sure, that might be fun and intutitive for a handfull of games that you might only play for 45 minutes (till you get exhausted and need to sit down). But it sure don't work on most games where the intention is for you to be playing it non stop for hours. It's for exactly this reason only a hand full of games like WiiSports and CarnivalGames work, because they are collections of short games that can each be completed in a short time frame without wearing you out. And for the most part, they exist for no purpose other then to justify the controller. Now imagine something like Fallout 3 with a fully interactive motion sensing interface ........ Who here is going to spend 12+ hours straight standing/flailing around their living room? I bet no one.

The other thing you stated that is incorrect is that the XBox contained similar defects to the 360 which it did not and the failure rate was nowhere close to the 360. The V1 XBox contained a defective DVD drive (the Thompson) which was not used in any of the 5 other revisions of the console. The V1 also contained a defect in the manufacture of the PSU which caused a handful of fires. The defect was fixed on later revisions of the console and owners of the defective units were sent a plug that contains a GFCI to keep a fire from occurring. These problems did not cause a mass failure or mass return of the units. I used my XBox very very heavily and I still have my V1 console working and the Thompson even works.

There is no "P" in Thomson. :P

Anywho, I dunno why people claim the Thomson was defective. It was a crappy drive, but defective? Maladjusted maybe. All 5 of mine had Thomson's, and the only one that had problems and broke was one I f--ked up myself accidently.

As for the PSU's. The cords were AFI, not GFCI, and they are effectively useless at preventing anything. They shorten the time the PSU will arc which lessens the chance that there could be a fire, but it will still arc briefly, which is all you need for a fire to start under the right conditions. The replacement cords program was never about resolving a problem or protecting anyone. It was a BS measure MS pulled to cover up and wash their hands of the real problem which would have been too costly for them to deal with since it would have required a full blown recall because of the public saftey nature of the defect.

Sadly, they got away with it, and the public at large is all too willing to go along with it and ignore the truth. :(

You know, all the talk about the wii leading the casual gamer scene is about to die with the release of Project Natal IMO, and sorry for throwing this off topic.

See above regarding Wii attach rates. In summery, in fantasy land maybe.

• 9 months later...

Well it happened again! There I was innocently slaughtering raiders in Fallout 3 and the game froze and I got the red ring :x I've lost track as this is the third or fourth time my 360 has failed.

Soooo after much debate (and getting Fallout 3 for the PC) I checked my warranty on Microsoft and it's expired so they about as good as told me to get stuffed. I bought the thermal paste and washers and will try the "repair" at work today hopefully it works.

I did send a polite email (which will likely be ignored) to Microsoft explaining that I am an auto mechanic at a car dealership and have been for years and when one of the cars we sell has a defective part it is replaced under warranty with an upgraded part that is less likely to fail if at all because we want customer satisfaction and repeat business. I pointed out to them that when my console was sent in last year for repair the console they sent me was an even older unit than what i sent them :ponder: it would seem to me that since the Jasper units were in full production at the time why not just ship those to fulfill the warranty obligations when dealing with anything from appliances to autos since when was it acceptable to replace the "broken" parts with rubbish used parts?? you replace them with new updated parts which is the correct way to do it.

I thought every new console was given a 3 year warrenty on the RROD? That is, when you get it back from Microsoft, it's covered for that by 3 years? It doesn't matter if the console is 'new' or not, that's when you got it, so that's when it should start.

I've had my share of problems also....I bought my first XBox 360 in the summer of 2007, a Elite model, when they were brand new. I almost never buy consoles right when they came out, and figured by then that most of the issues had been fixed. I made sure the console was well ventaliated and even used a third party fan device on the back to help.

That first console lasted about a year and then suddenly one day I went to use it when it had fine the day before and got the RROD. Annoying, but I just printed off a label, stuck it in a box, and sent it back, and got a new console with the free month of XBox Live Gold. Took about two weeks to get it.

The second console was working fine when it was stolen from my apartment in July of 2009.

A few months later, a friend offered to sell me his console cheap. He was going overseas for a while, and had just bought a refurbished console from a third party company a couple weeks before. I was wary about that, but since it had a full warrenty behind it and he offered it for $200 I took it.

Well, in the space of about a month that console died due to E74, and the new one I got back from the company developed a strange error where I could play it for a few mintues and it would freeze. The third console I got from the company (and my 5th overall) worked fine, but I was still warry about that and learned my lesson.

And then back in December in 2009 a good friend told me that her and her husband had bought a new TV set at Best Buy and recieved a Elite free. Since they allready had one, she offered it to me for $200. Figuring I was better off with a brand new one, I bought it from her and sold my old one on Amazon, recouping my money.

So I'm actually on my 6th 360 now, although not everyone has failed, as I explained above. :)

So far, this console has worked great (knock on wood) but I have noticed compared to past consoles that it seems noiser when it's in operation and the fan is a little louder on it.

I thought microsoft renewed the warranty when you got you're system repaired. Maybe not for the full 3 years, but I'm pretty sure they give at least an extra year extension on the old warranty.

Anyhow, that sucks dude, hope you get it fixed....er....get it to work if you fix it yourself.