IGNORED

Request: ICD R-Time-8 replacement

Well, it's been 7 years ago I started this topic and in that time my RT8 broke down but also found someone who wanted to sell his one for a nice price so I was safe again.

But... this may happen again in the future and if the price is at a level I can afford I'm certainly interested in one.

I could use one of these to use with the new SDX cart Lenore put together

Is not needed. RTC already included inside the SDX Cart I am offering. Disclaimer: If software you want to use is expecting 100% compatibility with the 'old' RTime8 version then will have problems. If software uses SDX calls (black box calls) then will be okay. :)

Edited by Dropcheck

Is not needed. RTC already included inside the SDX Cart I am offering. Disclaimer: If software you want to use is expecting 100% compatibility with the 'old' RTime8 version then will have problems. If software uses SDX calls (black box calls) then will be okay. :)

Doh, guess I should read what I am buying ;-) But still nice to have one

I could use one of these to use with the new SDX cart Lenore put together

Lenore's new Super SDX cartridge already includes an RTC. It's not exactly the same hardware as the ICD RT8, I think it's the same RTC hardware used in the Incognito/U1MB/SIDE/IDE Plus 2.0 devices.

Lenore's new Super SDX cartridge already includes an RTC. It's not exactly the same hardware as the ICD RT8, I think it's the same RTC hardware used in the Incognito/U1MB/SIDE/IDE Plus 2.0 devices.

That is quite true. However, if you want the full retro flavor of an R-Time8 OR you want to replace your non-functional RT8, then mine will do the trick for you. I am just waiting on the PCBs to arrive so I can verify the design changes work and then if y'all want them, I will have them for you.

Also, I am working on getting some new software features added whilst still keeping it 100% compatible. The software will not cause the hardware to wait, however!

-Mac

Atari Real Clock by Michał 'Pasiu/SSG' Pasiecznik is based on RTC72421 (or M6242B) chip:

http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/ARC_%28zegar%29

http://hardware.atari8.info/arc.php

ARC driver for SDX by Krzysztof 'Frodo/Dial' Kardzis: http://hardware.atari8.info/arc/arclock.zip

Due to the availability of these chips (e.g. the Amiga 500/600 RAM expansions) I think that this a good alternative for R-Time8. :)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

It works like a CHAMP!

So, latest PCB design came back and it works perfectly. I was a little worried because if you plug the SDX cart into the RT8 and that into the machine, it just hangs. THIS IS NORMAL FUNCTION with an old R-Time8! Everything else was working like a breeze and I could not figure it out. Tried it with an old R-Time8, saw it didn't work and was very relieved.

The drop-in replacement version is *slightly* too big. I can get it to fit, but I sense many a person would snap off some legs trying to do so, so I will revamp it a bit.

The COMPLETE replacement will be a bit longer and come with its own shell as well as a passthrough. No fuss, no muss.

NOW: for the 10 million dollar question: Will it work with an AtariMax cart or an Ultimate cart? Yes and no. You can plug either of those INTO the RT8 and they will work, but they will not see the RT8 (or an old one for that matter). I am not certain why this is. I would imagine if you were able to plug a cart into the top of an AtariMax or an Ultimate cart, it might work, but that is pure conjecture.

If you plug a standard SDX cart into your machine, then my replacement RT8 (or an old R-TIme8), it will work with any language cart. Also, if you just plug the RT8 in and then another cart (except an old SDX) it will work. So, I am happy to say it is just about perfectly done. I now have functional RT8 clones stacked up like cord wood in my Cave™. Hopefully, once everything is set, I will find uses for them.

Thanks for all that helped. I will let you know when they go on sale for those minuscule number of people wanting one.

NOW: for the 10 million dollar question: Will it work with an AtariMax cart or an Ultimate cart? Yes and no. You can plug either of those INTO the RT8 and they will work, but they will not see the RT8 (or an old one for that matter). I am not certain why this is. I would imagine if you were able to plug a cart into the top of an AtariMax or an Ultimate cart, it might work, but that is pure conjecture.

Have you tried the 1mbit Atarimax version of SDX? I seem to remember there is a conflict between the 8mbit Atarimax version of SDX and RTime8.

This will apply to the Ultimate Cart emulating these versions of SDX too.

Robin

• Like 1

Have you tried the 1mbit Atarimax version of SDX? I seem to remember there is a conflict between the 8mbit Atarimax version of SDX and RTime8.

This will apply to the Ultimate Cart emulating these versions of SDX too.

Robin

That's exactly the issue. The 8Mb version has a banking register conflict with the RTime-8, but the 1Mb works fine.

• 2 months later...

Folks,

Almost 7 *years* to the DAY #1 that it was originally requested and NINE months after I decided to try doing it, I am happy to announce that a replacement R-Time8 cartridge is available for purchase! I have learned A LOT. I learned how to make PCB schematics, how to use a 3D printer (and break it . . .), and I have learned how to find obsolete chips at decent prices. I have become too familiar with digi-key and jameco and mouser and . . .

Here's the deal: these are 100% compatible with the original R-Time8 cartridge. Everything is the same. So, it has the same limitations and the same benefits. HOWEVER, it also is VERY VERY easy to repair.

I have started a marketplace thread: #1 to take care of the ordering.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Folks,

At the end of the month (June), I am going to put them on eBay. AT that point, they will be $60 & $55 (respectively), not including shipping. If you want one, please let me know now. If not, then you will have to pay eBay prices. Sorry.

As a side note, (these will NOT be going on ebay) I also have a couple JOY2PIC, TK-II and TK-XEGS all fully assembled that I am selling for parts+ a little for the labor. Let me know as well.

Folks,

At the end of the month (June), I am going to put them on eBay. AT that point, they will be $60 & $55 (respectively), not including shipping. If you want one, please let me know now. If not, then you will have to pay eBay prices. Sorry.

As a side note, (these will NOT be going on ebay) I also have a couple JOY2PIC, TK-II and TK-XEGS all fully assembled that I am selling for parts+ a little for the labor. Let me know as well.

IIRC I placed somewhere an order already ... perhaps that was not the right path to follow. Anyway: I would like to purchase two.

Is this possible? And how?

I do not want to miss the boat. I'm waiting for this quite long...

Thanks

Folks,

Good morning, MacRorie!

I'd be interested in one of the standalones, but also one of the TK-II's you mentioned. If you PM me a total, I'll get the funds promptly over to you via PayPal.

Thank you, in advance!

Tim

Good morning, MacRorie!

I'd be interested in one of the standalones, but also one of the TK-II's you mentioned. If you PM me a total, I'll get the funds promptly over to you via PayPal.

Thank you, in advance!

Tim

PM Sent.