IGNORED

New game port on the way - Gr......er

Heaven/TQA

the zappers are already alligned to 20 collums. and I am sure it will not change... ;) we had similar discussion when we have done the MetaLLama-Port... You don't want that I dig out my "scrolling"-procedere? ;)

No - please don't scroll! If anything, why not cobble up a 22 column screen driver - pretty please?

All kidding aside, the 20 column version of the game is looking rather nice.

Stephen Anderson

Squeezing 22 columns into 20 just wouldn't work... Gridrunner plays with minimal slowdown with all those objects because it's all character based.

Doing it even in bitmap byte aligned would slow it down significantly.

Doing it with 22 columns, or emulated 22 columns ... well, you have a couple of options:

- widescreen, with the screen scrolled 2 colour clocks right. Problem is on the emu and most TVs you'd have the left/right hand column clipped in half.

- bitmap, squeezing 8 pixels into 7 (7 x 22 = 154). Preshifted objects needed, everything would be done as a softsprite. Would probably work fine if there's under 15 or so objects onscreen (1 centipede segment = 1 object). Expect big slowdown when the action gets intense.

- character mode, squeeze 8 pixels into 7... even more slowdown, probably need a new character set every 6th row.

• 2 weeks later...

He's turning a 5K RAM game into a 64K monolith.

I forgot to mention... the "Presents" sample I heard has it pronounced wrong.

I reckon scrolling might work... it's only a character either side, so it's only 16 bumps... do one bump for each of the 16 middle character positions.

implement scrolling simply because of 1 char collum? come on... the speccy version does run in low res, too...

and regarding samples... yes... I am working on it but not sure yet. Tezz and Miker already finalised their jobs so it is up to me....

(I know regarding the presents... but that was only a test... ;))

• 1 month later...

ok. ok... Jesus... I still have not get how the collum patch works for the centipedes... but today while playing Fifa 10 I got following idea... what happens when I am just copy collum 0 into collum 20 so the check boundary routine of Gridrunner gets fooled that centipede reached the right border?

well... as it seems...it works... can you please play the potential final core game adjustment and let me know if you discover some bugs? In meantime I can have a look and start the intro and play around with the sample routine... the actual sample played at the beginning is not played back in correct speed but that does not matter...

Miker, you can start to work further on the msx as I am doing the final touches and the intro with Tezz' gfx.

gridrunner.xex.zip

well... as it seems...it works... can you please play the potential final core game adjustment and let me know if you discover some bugs?
All seems fine after 2-3 plays so far :) didn't encounter any issues. Will try it out further inbetween working on some new stuff.