IGNORED

NEW HOMEBREW FOR THE 7800

Shawn

• 1 month later...

Hello... I'm insanely new here... but if there are any copies of this left for pre-order I'll take one. :-) PM me with the details if there are any left... thanks!

There are no more pre-orders for this game. It's going threw major changes right now.

I want it to be known that I am no longer involved in this project and another programmer is porting Vong to the 7800 against my will. I will finish my official Vong port and release it myself.

Link to development thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/152185-official-7800-vong-port/

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

I want it to be known that I am no longer involved in this project and another programmer is porting Vong to the 7800 against my will. I will finish my official Vong port and release it myself.

Link to development thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/152185-official-7800-vong-port/

So, another programmer is making a ripoff of your own game to sell?

Double Ouch :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

umm, wtf. are they just making another vertical pong game, or are they actually taking your source code? I mean pong isn't the most intricate game, so I could see someone else making a vertical pong game for the 7800, but if they are stealing your source code, that's some shit.

Hey All,

A new 7800 homebrew. This release is limited to 30 copies. 15 copies are pre-ordered previously, no more preorders until the new game is finished and completed to carts. Details to come in November. You will all be very pleased, new game is alot more than Vong ever could have been. Thats not a dig, it's a fact that you will come to see for yourself in the comming weeks.

Cheers & Thanks,

Shawn

Edited by Shawn Sr.

I think the keyword in the prior post hit the nail on the head: "commitment." I'll get back to that thought in a second.

First of all, I don't have any programming experience behind the Cobol program I had to write in college, HTML when Notepad was the editor du jour and I still do BAT file programming for network tasks. Fact is, if I could get two paddles and a ball on a black field it would be miraculous. There's no reason for me to learn programming - it's outside the realm of what I do professionally and I have no interest, at least at this time, to pick it up as a hobby. My hobby is collecting and playing classic games and restoring classic arcade cabinets.

Secondly, I appreciate the home brew efforts. What they have been able to do with the 2600 alone is remarkable. Then when you port the best game ever released for the 7800 (at least in my collection - I still don't have PMC) with Jr. Pac-Man in year 2009 - that's phenomenal. And, let's not forget what Opcode has been able to do on the ColecoVision and the upcoming hardware that will be released.

Now, on to Vong, the one that was planned for release and the version this whole controversy is about.

I was going to keep my mouth shut out of respect but, to be brutally honest, I just don't understand the hype. I don't understand the demand for a vertical Pong. This is Pong - two paddles and a ball only played vertically which is a variant of a game released in the first half on the 70s. I don't understand why it requires the 7800 to run and I don't think it does. On top of that, it doesn't have paddle support which is essential in replicating the arcade experience. Why port Pong using a joystick? Doesn't make sense.

I have a cost effective alternative. Atari already did this with Video Olympics. If you don't have it, you can pick it up for a dollar or maybe even free from the Spreading the Love thread.

Insert the cart into your 2600, rotate your TV 90 degrees and flip the switch on the VCS from color to black and white. There you have it - Vong - Pong played vertically and with paddle support.

It's unfortunate that bad blood was created over a minimalistic release. Pong has been beaten to death with the standalone consoles that were released by Maganovox, Atari, Coleco et al all throughout the 70s. The going rate for the Telstar is $10 - I see this price tag everywhere. With that you have Pong on a genuine retro console.

Now, reading through this thread I have no reason to doubt that there was a commitment between the programmer and the gent taking care of producing and distributing the carts. We cannot prove time constraints otherwise, but we do know that a 3 month break from school frees up approximately 8 hours a day. When there's a commitment, you have to get it done. Gamers are making their commitments by forking over the dough on the pre-orders. The folks on the other end need to maintain their end of the deal.

Quite frankly, Wickey's comment "you'll get your carts eventually" is damaging. You don't say that to the folks that forked over the dough (i.e. "the customers are your boss") to support your efforts en route to your career as a programming superstar.

Judging alone on Shawn Sr's post, he handled the situation well and understands commitment and accountability by assuring that this will be fixed one way or another.

When you put out a quality cart like Medieval Mayhem, Jr. Pac-Man and Pac-Man Collection for the ColecoVision, the programmer is rewarded not only in compensation but also word of mouth. If I can influence one person by saying Jr. Pac-Man for the 7800 is the greatest release for that console and they buy that cart, that is a credit to that respective programmer's efforts and indicative of the support of the retro gaming community.

That's my 2 cents from a gamer's perspective and some may see the value less than that. My comments aren't going to discourage anyone. In the end, it looks like this will turn out to be positive with each party releasing a product that they are comfortable with.

• Like 1

:?

It's just the pre-order is over. The game is still on the way. It will be in all of your mailboxes before Xmas, I can say that much for sure. More details to come in the comming weeks.

I am losing track of what I've ordered and haven't. Did I make it onto the order list for this one? (I hope I hope)

It's just the pre-order is over. The game is still on the way. It will be in all of your mailboxes before Xmas, I can say that much for sure. More details to come in the comming weeks.

I am losing track of what I've ordered and haven't. Did I make it onto the order list for this one? (I hope I hope)

Send me a pm with your address and I'll check it agenst my list and let you know.

And the plot thickens... interested to see what this is. I assume the 15 pre-orders already are the people who had paid earlier for Vong?

Yes the 15 are from the previous game, this replacment game is going to be much more than you signed up for and I'm sure you will be happy with the final product.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

I think the keyword in the prior post hit the nail on the head: "commitment." I'll get back to that thought in a second.

It's unfortunate that bad blood was created over a minimalistic release. Pong has been beaten to death with the standalone consoles that were released by Maganovox, Atari, Coleco et al all throughout the 70s. The going rate for the Telstar is $10 - I see this price tag everywhere. With that you have Pong on a genuine retro console.

Now, reading through this thread I have no reason to doubt that there was a commitment between the programmer and the gent taking care of producing and distributing the carts. We cannot prove time constraints otherwise, but we do know that a 3 month break from school frees up approximately 8 hours a day. When there's a commitment, you have to get it done. Gamers are making their commitments by forking over the dough on the pre-orders. The folks on the other end need to maintain their end of the deal.

Quite frankly, Wickey's comment "you'll get your carts eventually" is damaging. You don't say that to the folks that forked over the dough (i.e. "the customers are your boss") to support your efforts en route to your career as a programming superstar.

Judging alone on Shawn Sr's post, he handled the situation well and understands commitment and accountability by assuring that this will be fixed one way or another.

When you put out a quality cart like Medieval Mayhem, Jr. Pac-Man and Pac-Man Collection for the ColecoVision, the programmer is rewarded not only in compensation but also word of mouth. If I can influence one person by saying Jr. Pac-Man for the 7800 is the greatest release for that console and they buy that cart, that is a credit to that respective programmer's efforts and indicative of the support of the retro gaming community.

That's my 2 cents from a gamer's perspective and some may see the value less than that. My comments aren't going to discourage anyone. In the end, it looks like this will turn out to be positive with each party releasing a product that they are comfortable with.

I'm glad you are able to see it exactly how it is, I could not have put it better myself and thank you for the kind and truthful words.