IGNORED

Albert's New Forum To Do List

Albert

The "View New Content" function still occasionally gives a blank page, or a piddly one page of topics.

But, I've noticed that function doesn't work properly on any Forum I've used that runs Invision. You'd reckon they'd have got it right by now.

The blank page problem has been fixed with version 3.0.3, which I think will be released in a few days. Generally if you refresh the page after you see a blank page you'll get the proper results. As for a "piddly one page of topics", I'd need more information to gauge what's going on there. They do still have some "View New Content" issues open in their bug database and they are slogging through them slowly.

..Al

I've noticed it seems to occur more if you Refresh the page rather than clicking on the link. I guess if it's a known issue then we all have to wait for those guys to come up with the fix.

Another thing I've noticed: you can no longer open a picture in a new window and just Right-Click and save it.

I've noticed it seems to occur more if you Refresh the page rather than clicking on the link. I guess if it's a known issue then we all have to wait for those guys to come up with the fix.

Yes, the problem has to do with your "Last Visit" time not being properly set and it only seems to happen if you refresh the page. If you see a blank "View New Content" results page, look at the bottom of the page and your "Last Visit" time is probably set to the current time, even if you were away for some time.

Another thing I've noticed: you can no longer open a picture in a new window and just Right-Click and save it.

Can you point me to an example?

Thanks,

..Al

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/146281-donkey-kong-arcade-colecovision/page__pid__1780250__st__0entry1780250

(just a random thread - scroll down a page or so to the Donkey Kong pic)

Strange - in IE, it opened in the same window but in FF it opens "over" the current page, with the rest of the page dimmed down.

The issue I have is that I can't seem to just save the picture easily like we could when pics opened in a new tab.

It might be just the way my browser is set up... I have the Menu Editor extension along with some others, so maybe it's causing it.

With the old software I used the "print topic" feature a lot to save a pdf version of interestring threads (using a virtual pdf printer) and I like the addition of the "download" option on the new forum that allows to save the topic as html or word document.

Unfortunately the Print/Download option is limited to the first 300 posts of a thread (It worked in this way with the old board software too).

It would be nice to remove this limit and maybe to add the option to specify a range of posts to be printed/downloaded.

Adding the pdf format in the download option would be nice too.

Thanks for all the work you put on AA!

Unfortunately the Print/Download option is limited to the first 300 posts of a thread (It worked in this way with the old board software too).

I will increase this limit, I don't know how many threads there are with over 300 posts, but seems pretty silly to allow someone to download a thread and not be able to save the entire thing.

It would be nice to remove this limit and maybe to add the option to specify a range of posts to be printed/downloaded.

Adding the pdf format in the download option would be nice too.

I agree, I will look into this at some point. I know there are scripts that allow you to export to PDF files, so in theory it shouldn't be too difficult to add. In theory. :D

..Al

The issue I have is that I can't seem to just save the picture easily like we could when pics opened in a new tab.

It might be just the way my browser is set up... I have the Menu Editor extension along with some others, so maybe it's causing it.

It's not your browser, it's the script that displays the popup, called "Lightbox". Apparently it disables your ability to right-click and save an image. I have therefore disabled Lightbox for now so images simply open up in your browser window as before. I wasn't aware that it restricted image downloading in this fashion, so unless I can figure out a way to restore that ability, it won't be coming back. There are alternative scripts that may work fine, though, so I will investigate that at some point.

..Al

It's not your browser, it's the script that displays the popup, called "Lightbox". Apparently it disables your ability to right-click and save an image.

I didn't notice. Probably because I disabled script right click manipulation in Opera by default. :)

That's good for you, but it doesn't help everyone else. :P :)

..Al

Just noticed that I have an edit button in the "Spreading the love with free games and more... 4th edition" thread in the marketplace!

Good, glad to hear that's working for you. :)

Thanks for all the work you've done and are probably still working on, Al!

Yep, still have plenty of work to do!!

..Al

I can't attach files in blogs. If I do, it still says I'm using 0k of unlimited.

Please try again, it's stupidity that it didn't work. I had to add a trailing slash to the directory location, and this same setting worked just fine with the previous version of the software. And of course, it was displaying attachments just fine with that same setting.. :roll:

..Al

Just noticed a problem with the editor. You used to be able to highlight something then click B followed by I to bold & italic the selected text. It's not working:

bolditalic

Tags are ending up as:

[b]bolditalic[/b][i][/i]

it should have ended up as one of these:

[b][i]bolditalic[/i][/b]
      or 
[i][b]bolditalic[/b][/i]

In marketplace, when editing an original post it's not letting you edit the title when you edit the first post. Used to be a quick edit option for just the body, and a full edit that would allow you to change the title and the body of the post.

Thanks,

AX

It's still there, you need to click on the "Use Full Editor" button after you click "Edit". :)

..Al

Just noticed a problem with the editor. You used to be able to highlight something then click B followed by I to bold & italic the selected text. It's not working:

bolditalic

Tags are ending up as:

[b]bolditalic[/b][i][/i]

it should have ended up as one of these:

[b][i]bolditalic[/i][/b]
      or 
[i][b]bolditalic[/b][/i]

Looks like when you apply the first attribute, the text is unselected so that when you click the second attribute, it simply puts the tags where the cursor is. Not sure if they did this intentionally or not, but I can pose the question on their forum.

..Al

I can't attach files in blogs. If I do, it still says I'm using 0k of unlimited.

Please try again, it's stupidity that it didn't work. I had to add a trailing slash to the directory location, and this same setting worked just fine with the previous version of the software. And of course, it was displaying attachments just fine with that same setting.. icon_rolleyes.gif

..Al

Nope, still the same thing happens. I wonder if it's my browser. I'm using MIE8.

I click on the button to add the file, it opens up my documents and stuff, I click on one, and then click "open" and the documents window closes, I click on "attach file" and nothing happens. Nothing really to take a screenshot of.

EDIT: I just posted a blog entry and added something, and it showed up. The only problem is that it doesn't show up in a list of attachments like it does with a regular forum post.

Edited by atari2600land

I'm using IE7 at the moment and overall everything looks okay. Not as nice as in Firefox and Safari, but it looks better than I was expecting. I am seeing a few issues, such as the horizontal scrollbar and some issues with the blue post headers. Lucky Man, I'm not seeing a lot of unusual whitespace, though. Can you be more specific?

..Al

I am using IE8 and I also get the horizonal scroll bar with just white space to the right of the screen, but if I use the IP skin it isnt there, it is just there with the Atari Age skin.