IGNORED

How to Create Custom 7800 Pacman Hacks!

jwierer

Hi jeff

and another,maybe stupid question....Is it possible,to have 3 or 4 different looking ghosts?This would open the door for even more great PAC games.

greetings Walter

Unfortunately, no. The ghosts share a sprite. If it were expanded to a 32K game perhaps they could use different images. Beyond my hacking skills even with the disassembly :(

-Jeff

Hi Justin

Hi Jeff

how about a titlescreen for PESCO??

Or should i try ?

greetings Walter

The shared portions of the title screen make it hard to put anything up there. Perhaps a small "Pesco" text and removal of most of the PACMAN graphic. Give it a shot :)

-Jeff

Sorry to disrupt the current subject on Pesco, but I wanted to announce plans on making a hack of Pac-Man that contains the final and prototype mazes of Munchman, a clone of Pac-Man for the Texas Instruments Home Computer.

MunchmanTexas.zip

_00-3_zpse23a0280.png_01-5_zps77e96c21.png

EDIT: I'm going to make a few more graphical edits tomorrow to Munch Man. All I plan to do is change the pellet chain graphics and use the Ultra Pac graphics as a guide to making the walls square. I also would like to work a bit on the death animation so it's more authentic to the original game, and maybe make the Ghosts into the swirl-like enemies from the first level.

I could migrate Munchman into an Ultra Pac ROM so I can have multiple colors of the same level, and have the colors progress in the same order (Blue, Green, White, Cyan, Yellow, and what else comes after). If only it was possibly to import graphic codes from a Pac ROM into an Ultra Pac ROM, unless I haven't checked the editor far enough.

Edited by Justin De Lucia
  • Like 1

Hey guys, really enjoying the round-up of Pacmen hacks. Keep 'em coming, gimme gimme gimme. (By the way where do you find all this stuff that works on the 7800?) Glad to hear after all these years Jeff picked up vital info. The Power of Discovery!

We're probably not ready for the next gen of shooter Pacmen and unlimited ghosts, but how about this? A Pacman Construction Set for 320 graphics? This way we can port the old Pacmen into the new Pacmen with graphics that sets us further apart from the 26 and 52. Think about it. And there's still plenty of room in 32K to do amazing things...

This is a game sample from Bob containing some massive TEPperware pokey code posted in 2011. It contains pokey detect code which can play either tia or pokey sounds and has xm-detect code. Cutting edge & amazing. It doesn't work perfectly on Prosystem 1.3 or 1.3e (sprite black blocking), but it works in the hardware.

MsPac320Pokey.a78

Again, thanks for all the outstanding work!!!

///BLUEMAN///

So here we go another week blasts by. Time to spend time with mother. She's 81 and never had a joystick in her hand. I have a new 78xx game that's so good even a blind person can play it. Not that she's blind, but I want to try this one on her. The question will be, will she ever ask to see "that game" again.

Speaking of playing games, for those who like PESCO with 4 ghosts, I updated the title screen with the new 2013 graphics. I skipped updating the colors to easily differentiate from the new 3-ghost model. So I call the original PESCO - Pesco1, and the new 2013 version Pesco2.

Pesco1_Title_16K.a78

Now that Jeff has the guts for the original Ms. Pacman to upgrade to PCS033, time to dump the 320-graphics version. Did hear a moan? Yes, I have the Ms. Pac 320 Pokey disassembly right here. This game ROX, and if Jeff wants to endeavor to build a construction kit for 320, then we'll have something to toy with for many years to come, including a Pesco320. It's a lot of work I know, but now you can put the two Ms. Pac's side-by-side and know everything they do. And Bob is on-board and watching progress. It's all good. The source he shared with us is almost a perfect replica of the latest 320Pokey Ms.Pacman. Many thanks to Bob, as most of what I do wouldn't be possible otherwise. The only glitch in the 320-version is there's a black block around Ms.Pacman on the EMulator. On the hardware it's almost perfect. Now sure if there's an easy fix to this...

MsPacman320PokeyDisassy3.rtf

To answer the earlier question if I'll disassemble PESCO - probably not as it's a direct derivative of Ms. Pac. I'd like to do Baby Pac though as it was a major re-design and is a class of it's own.

Enjoy all, have a great weekend! ///BLUEMAN///

• 2 months later...

Ah, that explains it, I felt the editor felt a little incomplete.

I didn't know there was a help file. The only access to a PC is a pretty slow netbook and my cousins' PCs. Too bad, it doesn't work with WINE.

So doing those color changes in the meantime requires a hex editor to do them? I'm thinking it's a yes.

Okay, I looked at the help pdf and I find out the teddy bear, cherry, and strawberry share the same palette, making adding green to the strawberry in Ms. Pac-Man impossible without major changes to the code. Plus, the normal eye color for the ghosts doesn't seem to be listed.

...the normal eye color for the ghosts doesn't seem to be listed.

The ghost eye pupils are at 2BC0 in the latest a78 pokey version of Pac-Man Collection. There are several different versions, so if this isn't the location for the rom you have, just look for A9 98 99 in hex and it should be the 2nd instance. The "98" is the color (light blue / cyan), so just change that to whatever color you want.

• 4 months later...