IGNORED

New Plug n' Play system actually has GOOD classic games!

jeremysart

Iggy*SJB' date='Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:48 PM' timestamp='1254084521' post='1847680']Please tell me that the version of Donkey Kong on there is close enough to the arcade version that I won't be able to tell the difference.

That depends how observant you are. :) If you never noticed, what a lot of people refer to as "the pie level", then it's not bad...

But, fact is, that level is missing.

I love DK arcade. This version is fun. I enjoy it. But I go downstairs to play DK in my MAME (OK, I use Vantage, not MAME) cab for that authentic feel. Nothing beats vertical games on vertical arcade monitors. :-)

desiv

Iggy*SJB' date='Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:48 PM' timestamp='1254084521' post='1847680']

I have Donkey Kong 64... which allegedly has the arcade version of DK in it... but I can't unlock it. I don't particularly like DK64, TBH.... but I'd like to play the port of the original on it.

It's in there and once you find out how to unlock it, you'll know it's there. Gamefaqs has the information on how to get it, if it gets too bothersome to find, but Rare made unlocking it just as tedious as the rest of the game (though it was still worth unlocking).

The Atari 8-bit computer version of Donkey Kong has all the levels and is still the best home port of the game, in my opinion and in a lot of others' too.

My advice is not to devote too much time, energy, or gasoline to finding one of these 100 in one or 50 in one systems. You can already play every arcade and home version of Donkey Kong (not to mention every other NES game) on your computer, using emulators, for free. Yes, in some cases, there's something about gaming on a TV set with a cathode ray tube, but I guarantee you the keyboard and gamepad you've got hooked up to your computer are a lot better than the buttons on these pirate systems.

So yeah, maybe the pirate systems are worth ten bucks just for the convenience of not having to track down BIOS ROMs and configure certain emulators properly, but then again, gaming via emulation isn't that difficult to figure out, and the way most folks are talking about money these days, why not keep it in your pocket?

The Atari 8-bit computer version of Donkey Kong has all the levels and is still the best home port of the game, in my opinion and in a lot of others' too.

I played the Atari 800 version before the CV one. I wasn't impressed when I first played the CV version. Granted, the CV was on a b/w TV, but the lack of death animations and somewhat less accurate sound compared to the Atari 800 didn't give me a favorable first impression. The smooth control, the animations, the "how high can you get?" screens, and the inclusion of all four boards made for a sweet port to the Atari 800.

Edited by BrianC

The absence of the pie factory in the original Coleco release is bad enough, but what really gets me is the lack of jumping-jacks on the elevator level. That really takes a tremendous amount of complexity and challenge out of that screen.

I've linked to it before, I think, but here, again, is a firsthand account, from the game's author, of what it was like to create the Atari computer version of Donkey Kong:

Donkey Kong and Me

Read about the challenges he had to overcome, and you really get a feel for what a huge accomplishment the end result was.

Here's a comment I left on the guy's blog:

Not too long ago I dug my Atari 800 out of the garage, dusted it off, and after all these years it started right up like it was brand new. Playing all my old game cartridges again was great from a nostalgia angle, but only one of them, Donkey Kong, is compelling enough to keep me coming back for more.

What a work of art that thing is! Somebody else here said it was the best port of Donkey Kong, and I’m inclined to agree. Prior to getting an Atari 800, I’d received a brand new ColecoVision for Christmas, and the big lure of the Coleco console was that it came with Donkey Kong. I was blown away by how good it was, and I guess when compared to the games on a 2600 or an Intellivision, Coleco’s Kong was pretty good.

The thing kept freezing up on me, however, so we wound up returning it. Thank goodness for that, as I otherwise wouldn’t have gotten the Atari 800 and, later on, Atari’s Donkey Kong, which made Coleco’s port (even the “super” version for the Adam) look, well…

Compared to the Atari cart, Coleco’s Kong was, at best, unfinished. And that’s if we’re being kind.

Ok I found the 101 in 1 for $10 and my friend got me the 50 in 1 so I have both now.

The 50 in 1 is complete rubbish I would put the graphics quality somewhere between Intellivision and Early NES efforts. The controls on the Shooter style games is adequate bit on the Platformers it is slow and collision detection is sketchy at best, the only game I recognized was a rip off of Battleship. All in all not worth the $12.99 he paid for it.

I'll finish checking out the 101 in 1 tonight.

My 101-in-1 purchased from Target online arrived today. It is, to put it mildly, a disappointment. It has the same generic games one would typically expect from these units. No pirated games, rip-offs, or anything else even mildly interesting. Even if it did have "Dongkey Kong," or anything else worth playing, the D-pad is 4-way without registering diagonal input, often not registering up-down-left-right either.

Don't waste your money.

So what you're saying is that the 50 in One device doesn't even have anything as good as pirated NES games; it's just generic, no-name games that are highly derivative of known titles without actually violating their copyrights?

I kind of suspected that, based on the screen shots on the product's packaging.

Correct the games are blobby, and generic looking and not even derivative of any game I could recognize other than Battleship. Sadly none of them are interesting enough to want to play. :(

Edited by kroogur

Iggy*SJB' date='Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:48 PM' timestamp='1254084521' post='1847680']

I have Donkey Kong 64... which allegedly has the arcade version of DK in it... but I can't unlock it. I don't particularly like DK64, TBH.... but I'd like to play the port of the original on it.

It's in there and once you find out how to unlock it, you'll know it's there. Gamefaqs has the information on how to get it, if it gets too bothersome to find, but Rare made unlocking it just as tedious as the rest of the game (though it was still worth unlocking).

I'm sure it's worth unlocking, but I can't seem to get much done on DK64. I was quite disappointed with the game. I'm considering hiring a 10 year old to do it for me... but I doubt I could find one that would bother with such an "old" game.

I'm still thinking about getting the 101 in 1, if I can find it. I saw the 50 in 1, and it looked quite cheezy. I'll pass on that one, but I'm still hunting for the 101.

My 101-in-1 purchased from Target online arrived today. It is, to put it mildly, a disappointment. It has the same generic games one would typically expect from these units. No pirated games, rip-offs, or anything else even mildly interesting. Even if it did have "Dongkey Kong," or anything else worth playing, the D-pad is 4-way without registering diagonal input, often not registering up-down-left-right either.

Don't waste your money.

Interesting, so the Target one is different from the one at Walgreens..

What is the name/description of the Target one?

desiv

Interesting, so the Target one is different from the one at Walgreens..

What is the name/description of the Target one?

desiv

Here's the package insert:

post-20305-125419235557_thumb.jpg

Yep. That's different. Sorry, don't have a scanner handy, but the front of the Walgreens one just says "Senario" in the top left, "AGES 8+" in the top right, and "101 GAMES iN 1" (GAMES is on top of iN). Then a picture of the stick.

This one doesn't have Super Mario (which I think is bizarre consider it does have pirate games), but it definitely has Mario Bros, Arkanoid and Donkey Kong.

Hmmmm..

I wonder why they are selling the legal one a Target and the ... hmmm... "more questionable" :-) one at Walgreens.

You could say that Target is more honest, but I don't buy that. It's a store..

desiv

The first of several videos showing the gameplay:

Does it sound like that in real life, or is all that hissing in the background and screechy sounds the way it really plays??

btw, 5/5 for good coverage, we all had to know. Does 1942 really sound like that?? Also, does anyone else remember the prototype controllers that Sony was trying out for the PS3? It reminds me of what they looked like.

The first of several videos showing the gameplay:

Does it sound like that in real life, or is all that hissing in the background and screechy sounds the way it really plays??

btw, 5/5 for good coverage, we all had to know. Does 1942 really sound like that?? Also, does anyone else remember the prototype controllers that Sony was trying out for the PS3? It reminds me of what they looked like.

The noise was my fault. I turned off "microphone boost" in the other vids, and that solved the problem. Never had much luck recording audio in general with my system.

You could say that Target is more honest, but I don't buy that. It's a store..

Target is a... ummm... target. They sell official Nintendo products and would be caught in a nanosecond if they sold pirated Nintendo games. Walgreens does not sell Nintendo products and are more under the radar.

I think it's more a matter of cluelessness at all levels of the distribution process. I'm guessing nobody anywhere in the Walgreens organization has ever actually opened up one of those TV games and played with it, and if they did, they wouldn't think anything of the fact that it contained Nintendo's intellectual properties. They would just assume that it wouldn't be in their supply chain if it weren't legal.

Why hasn't Nintendo sued? Who knows? Maybe the product itself is, as you say, "under the radar."