IGNORED

New Plug n' Play system actually has GOOD classic games!

jeremysart

How would you rate the hardware overall?

I think you might be putting a little too much thought into this. It's a cheap-ass, bootleg, NOAC TV plug-in system. What quality of hardware are you expecting?

I'm not expecting Nintendo quality stuff here. Given that these Senario people have made a various amount of plug-n-play systems, I'd expect a bit better quality than one of those pirated Super Joy's that came out a few years back.

The hardware quality is not bad. The on-off switch is a bit tiny, but usable. The D-Pad actually fares better than most other d-pads where the input gets mushy. The d-pad's raised a bit from the chassis so you have a bit of room to travel with. Buttons are small, but not too small. A nice feature is added-in turbo buttons, not unlike my "TV Game console" system.

Alright...you all convinced me to risk the $10 at my local Walgreens today and I just hooked it up on my 52" LCD television.

I am reluctantly reporting that it is indeed actually better than the other pirate controller systems I own. A couple minor complaints:

- no Mario games except for Mario Bros.

- many of the menu titles are not the true titles

- very mushy D-pad, but it works

- RCA cords could be longer (easily fixed with extension cables)

- there is a constant, low background buzzing sound (largest true complaint)

- no socket for a player 2 controller

Good things about it:

- cheap as it gets and all games and in English

- Video is clear...many of these knockoffs have interference lines from low signal feeds

- the games are not repeats (except for that Soccer one)

- small size and easily stored

- works on batteries (may use it for travel in the car with the kids)

As someone else pointed out, this is probably for sale at Walgreens because the Walgreens people in distribution are just plain ignorant. I've worked a lot with Walgreens, and at the corporate level the average employee must be 80 years old and probably wouldn't even know what a pirated video game was if you put a pirate hat on it.

I found a duplicate game. Game 51 Soccer and Game 98 Warpman are both the same soccer game.

I have not gotten to those games yet. So "warpman" is not "Warp warp" that weird b/w top-view arcade shooter game?

I got one of those N64 NES controllers as a gift and that one has Warpman under the name "Burgertime".

Urban Champion and The Soccer game seem to be the only ones repeated, and I agree the D pad seems a little vague but all in all this thing is actually pretty interesting. The game selection is not bad (except for the weird Pyramid Tetris game) the controller itself feels solidly built and the buttons work well. The best part for me? The actual Tetris game used in this unit is not the so-so Nintendo version but the Tengen version!

For those of you that may be checking out your local Walgreens to find this thing, I recommend looking above on the risers. I didn't find mine in the toy aisle, but in another aisle altogether up on a riser. It was in a display tray. I probably could have done this at the first three Walgreens and wouldn't have resorted going to the 4th one.

Was it really worth the effort? Believe me, I understand this sort of obsessiveness, because I've been there.

I urge you all to step back and think for a moment:

How much of your time and gas money is this worth?

It's just a Famiclone, and far from the best one out there.

TwinChargers, that is a good point about finding stuff at Walgreens. My experience has been that when it comes to neat toys, they often have them hidden up near the ceiling, and you have to find an employee to get them down for you.

But you can play all those games for free using any one of the numerous NES emulators on your computer. Furthermore, in the case of somebody who travels around to as many as four different Walgreens looking for the thing, gas for your car or money to ride the bus does add up!

Of course, if you enjoy this sort of scavenger hunt, maybe it's money well spent

Kind of like a real-life Zelda quest or something.

Kind of like a real-life Zelda quest or something.

So true!! This isn't such an item to me, but when someone tips me off on something that I might could get locally I get all obsessed and will drive all over the city looking for one. It happened when I went looking for a Flashback 2, got the last one at the local Target, too, so it was worth it!

Nathan

That's cool. Sometimes I find myself getting all caught up in such things. For example, I also post messages in a forum devoted to RC aircraft, and there was recently quite a lot of interest in the fact that Target was blowing out certain makes and models for way below cost, but the deals were only available in-store. So me and my fellow users were posting messages back and forth, tipping people off as to what inventory could be found in which store. I went a little bit out of my way to check out certain Targets, but even when I did find the coveted deals, I didn't take advantage of them. I did, however, let the other people know where the planes and helis were, in case they wanted to snag them.

A fun quest, to be sure, but also not the most productive use of my time, and probably indicative of a deep-seated obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Was it really worth the effort? Believe me, I understand this sort of obsessiveness, because I've been there.

TwinChargers, that is a good point about finding stuff at Walgreens. My experience has been that when it comes to neat toys, they often have them hidden up near the ceiling, and you have to find an employee to get them down for you.

For me this was not much effort as I live in OH but work in PA and on my drive i pass no less than 5 Walgreens.

And this particular unit is actually pretty good in terms of game selection and quality construction and having the Tengen version of Tetris on it more than makes it worth the effort. :)

I personally think it was worth the effort. I work in an area that has 4 Walgreens within a 10 mile radius, I'd just usually hit one up on the way to or from work or while I was in town. Part of it was the adventure of finding it, especially after coming up cold at the first few Walgreens.

I don't know what it is about the Famiclones that drives me to them. Maybe its the forbiddeness of them, or the fact that theres so many games that I never had as a kid all in one controller. I have a few variants of the Power Joys, they might not always get much play, but I find them captivating and nice to have included in my collection. And for $10, and at a national chain retailer to boot, this was something I just thought would be neat to have.

Makes sense to me!

I once bought the TV plug-in game Intellivision system, but it didn't work: the signal it sent to my TV set was all jumpy and discolored, kind of like what happens if you try to videotape a DVD that's protected with Macrovision. So I exchanged it, and the replacement had the same problem. Therefore, when Walgreens had 'em on sale for $2.99, I passed. Pity, because I'd been pretty excited about it, and those things had way less than the number of games on these Famiclones.

Well maybe yours actually worked.

It does on the 1 TV I've tried it on. :-)

Was a little disappointed to find out that it was 10 Inty games written for the NES on a chip that it is, instead of an Inty on a chip, but still, it's fun. And my wife thinks she could play Shark Shark, although she hasn't tried yet.

:-)

desiv

I had the Intelly x-in-1 controller setup, and was disappointed. The selection of games wasn't that great, and the newish RPG they included had some weird flaws. I also have the Intelly comp for PS2, and I swear it's slower than the real thing. Would rather play the D&D games on either, but those are in license limbo.

Avoid the "coleco" one at all costs. I can't believe that was put to market. It was a glorified LCD game.