IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Prototype, homemade, didn't have the right tape to put the thing together, so it looks a little loose. White paper sheet at the center is supposed to be a manual. Cartridge goes under it. This is a box for regular Super Games (games for the SGM). The DKA + SGM box will be identical, though deeper (wider). So they all will look nice and uniform when placed side by side on the shelf.

EDIT: not shown in this prototype is the little flap with velcro that keeps the box shut. Let's see how the final offset printed, mechanically folded and cut box will look.

Sweet!

I was working with my wife on the box artwork template a minute ago. The mock-up is looking nice, though I am not going to show that until Dale has created the final design, as our mock-up is kind of rough. I am kind of busy assembling games today, but I hope to start routing the new PCB tomorrow.

Nah, don't show us anything.... keep up the surprises when everything will be ready! :D

I seriously can't wait to get the SGM and games .... this is my #1 gaming buying priority for 2012

All this even if the SGM case will not be a replica of the abandoned SGM by Coleco :( ;)

Am I the only one but I would have been agree to pay a + $100 for having a replica of the SGM by Coleco?

Anyway, I understand your decision regarding the case size :)

Edited by retroillucid

Just a quick thought, I can think of two possible work around options that may (or may not) fly, Eduardo.

1) Call the game DKA, and leave it at that to avoid red flagging the title. After all, Champ Kong got away with it. :)

2) "sell" Opcode's DKA", with "Coleco's SGM included!"-- just keep the branding of items separated. :) That may also work if you choose to offer the SGM separately for future titles or replacement units. (While I can't imagine that world, there may be some who don't really care for DKA as their only SGM game. Just like Coleco didn't think the French market would want Baseball with the SAC's, I guess. lol)

Just a quick thought, I can think of two possible work around options that may (or may not) fly, Eduardo.

1) Call the game DKA, and leave it at that to avoid red flagging the title. After all, Champ Kong got away with it. :)

2) "sell" Opcode's DKA", with "Coleco's SGM included!"-- just keep the branding of items separated. :) That may also work if you choose to offer the SGM separately for future titles or replacement units. (While I can't imagine that world, there may be some who don't really care for DKA as their only SGM game. Just like Coleco didn't think the French market would want Baseball with the SAC's, I guess. lol)

I am definitely going with #2. That also makes my life easier as I only need a single box template for both the bundle and regular games.

So I have things rolling on all fronts. I contacted the plastic mold maker today, he is going to call me back soon to present all possible options (that's probably the most critical part of this whole project). I want to start routing the PCB later today. I have the manual draft done, as well as the catalog draft done (both based on Colic's template). I am working with my wife on the new Super Game packaging template (because you know, if you want something done right, do it yourself). That covers box, manual and label for DKA and all future games. Then I got what I needed to playback sampled sounds on the CV, and I have Wolf ready to start working on the opening tune.

So pretty much all bases covered, but my main focus for now is the SGM.

• Like 3

Since Pixelboy has officially announced that today, I think it is ok to post here too. Teampixelboy and Opcode Games have reached an agreement to release 4 Super Games during the release window of the SGM later this year. King's Valley and Thexder are more less done deals, the other two are still being decided.

Opcode Games also hopes to offer 2 additional Super Games not too long after the module is release, Goonies and Knightmare. So I think buyers will have quite a few options during the module's first year.

• Like 3

Oh, it will. For the past 6-7 years I have been working on quite a few arcade ports that need the SGM. Some are quite fair along, others are in early stages. Arkanoid is an example of a port around 80% done. Then I have Pengo, Rally-X, Moon Cresta, Moon Patrol, Wizard of Wor ranging from 30% to 10% done. And quite a few more that I would like to port but haven't gone beyond conceptual work, like Dig-Dug, Xevious and DK Jr.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 2

Since Pixelboy has officially announced that today, I think it is ok to post here too. Teampixelboy and Opcode Games have reached an agreement to release 4 Super Games during the release window of the SGM later this year. King's Valley and Thexder are more less done deals, the other two are still being decided.

Opcode Games also hopes to offer 2 additional Super Games not too long after the module is release, Goonies and Knightmare. So I think buyers will have quite a few options during the module's first year.

Oh, it will. For the past 6-7 years I have been working on quite a few arcade ports that need the SGM. Some are quite fair along, others are in early stages. Arkanoid is an example of a port around 80% done. Then I have Pengo, Rally-X, Moon Cresta, Moon Patrol, Wizard of Wor ranging from 30% to 10% done. And quite a few more that I would like to port but haven't gone beyond conceptual work, like Dig-Dug, Xevious and DK Jr.

WOW! That's a great pending lineup Eduardo! :-o I can't wait to see these start coming out. :thumbsup:

Awesome! The Colecovision certainly continues to be the premier system for arcade ports, IMO, thanks to your efforts and those of the other homebrewers.

• Like 1

Arkanoid is an example of a port around 80% done.

I've checked around but haven't been able to figure out if the Coleco supports paddles. Does it, or is this a joystick based port?

If it does, I could see doing a port of Medieval Mayhem.

Not the Atari paddle. I will be selling Arkanoid with my own paddle.

Arkanoid is an example of a port around 80% done.

I've checked around but haven't been able to figure out if the Coleco supports paddles. Does it, or is this a joystick based port?

If it does, I could see doing a port of Medieval Mayhem.

Not the Atari paddle. I will be selling Arkanoid with my own paddle.

To be plugged into the joystick port? This is certainly interesting. :)