IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

My next batch of games are slated for release on Christmas Day 2012, and I have no plans to do any early releases, as it's logistically impossible for me to do so. I assume the SGM will be ready and available by then.

I'm also assuming that King's Valley will be completed this year, and that you'll find some time to work on The Black Onyx at some point. And then there's Thexder, and the other two MSX ports which are currently under vote. I'm seing your time table for the SGM and DKA, and I can't help but wonder where you'll find the time to complete all those games for Team Pixelboy. And then there's also Rollerball and perhaps other games for CollectorVision...?

I do not doubt that you intend to port all those games, but I think you're putting a lot of weight on your shoulders if you want to get all this done before the end of the year...

You don't worry about the timetable, I do. And King's Valley is already ported, remember?

BTW, I didn't know Luc was already working on finishing Atari's Joust, so I am removing that from my list.

In fact, I thought Luc had abandoned the idea of completing Joust because I didn't see that listed in his website, which I checked just a few days ago to see if Kangaroo was listed or not (since I remember seeing a mockup screen somewhere). So I apologize the mistake.

Edited by opcode

In fact, I thought Luc had abandoned the idea of completing Joust because I didn't see that listed in his website, which I checked just a few days ago to see if Kangaroo was listed or not (since I remember seeing a mockup screen somewhere). So I apologize the mistake.

You mean this one? :)

post-7743-0-53810800-1328931721_thumb.png

• Like 1

You mean this one? :)

I also made a mockup screen of Kangaroo in dec. 2010. :-D

post-9873-0-54799300-1328955699_thumb.jpg

Just finished the catalog draft, 20 games, cover, back cover, 2 pages introduction, for a total of 24 pages, or 6 sheets. It is going to look nice once it is printed.

This Monday I will get a third quote for the SGM case mold project. Hopefully the decision will be made and the 3D model will be started next week. And since I will be taking the week off from my job, I will take the chance to spend a couple of days at Fun Spot, enjoying classic arcade games with my son. So even when I am not working I am still working. :)

• Like 1

Just finished the catalog draft, 20 games, cover, back cover, 2 pages introduction, for a total of 24 pages, or 6 sheets. It is going to look nice once it is printed.

So are you going to include some vaporware titles, just for kicks? ;) :P

And since I will be taking the week off from my job, I will take the chance to spend a couple of days at Fun Spot, enjoying classic arcade games with my son. So even when I am not working I am still working. :)

If I had a car, I'd go to Fun Spot at least once every three months or so. I can't think of a better way to spend a week-end. :-D

Here is the good news of the day: I finally have a deal for the SGM case 3D model, so the case project case has officially started today. We should have the first prototype of the case in March. That also means I am resuming the PCB routing, as now I know for sure that we will using the custom case.

That also means that Dale can now start working on the full packaging for the SGM, which includes paperwork, frontplate, logos, etc. So far all bodes well for an August release....

• Like 4

Here is the good news of the day: I finally have a deal for the SGM case 3D model, so the case project case has officially started today. We should have the first prototype of the case in March. That also means I am resuming the PCB routing, as now I know for sure that we will using the custom case.

That also means that Dale can now start working on the full packaging for the SGM, which includes paperwork, frontplate, logos, etc. So far all bodes well for an August release....

That's actually AWESOME news here! :grin: :thumbsup:

Sure.

32KB of RAM, disabled by default. Can be individually mapped as follow: 24KB to address range 2000h-7FFFh, and 8KB to address range 0000h-1FFFh (BIOS is disabled).

All control is done in such a way that makes the SGM fully compatible with the ADAM (no conflicts).

PSG AY-3-8910, increasing sound channels to 6 + noise.

Spinner interrupt control.

But of course the SGM is only half of the deal. The other half is the new MegaCart, with unprecedented bank switch flexibility and data retention capabilities.

The combination of both pieces of hardware fulfills the original SGM promise: 128KB of media space (actually 1MB in MegaCarts' case, with the extra advantage of being far more reliable than magnetic tape), expanded RAM (32KB) and data retention (for saving high-score tables and more). Expanded sound is a bonus. :)

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

And also, if you don't mind, the projected price? :cool:

Price isn't a problem. I have learned that ColecoVision people are a very wealthy bunch, they spend hundreds of dollars every year with ColecoVision games, mods and accessories. So I was thinking of $200 for such a advanced piece of hardware. But that would be for the module only, if you want the documentation that is going to cost you another $50. Add another $50 to have it shipped inside a box, otherwise a padded envelope will be used.

Ok, j/k. Projected price is $50 for the SGM, $40 for Donkey Kong, when it is available.

• Like 2

Add another $50 to have it shipped inside a box, otherwise a padded envelope will be used.

(* Imagines the SGM shipped in a padded envelope. *)

:rolling:

Don't laugh too hard. Some day one of them will be.

Ok, j/k. Projected price is $50 for the SGM, $40 for Donkey Kong, when it is available.

That's good to hear!

Q: Eduardo, when all is said and done, if Coleco had released your product back in 1983-84, would they have been able to compete with the NES?

Difficult question. If you mean hardware wise, I would say probably no. In terms of market share, who knows, maybe, maybe not. Those "if it wasn't for the crash" kind of scenarios are always hard to imagine because we usually tend to simplify things too much, or forget to consider many factors.

Now if you want my personal opinion, a non US centric view of things, I would say that the Japanese invasion was inevitable. The Japanese industry had already taken over the arcade market so it was only logical they would take over the console market as well, as they had become the creative and technological force behind video games. It wouldn't matter what Atari or Coleco was going to do to counter the Japanese invasion hardware wise because all good games at that point were coming from Japan (you know, Namco, Konami, Capcom, Taito, just to name a few) and actually Coleco and Atari were licensing most games from them. And in the end those Japanese software companies would be supporting Nintendo, not Coleco or Atari.

People in the US like to think of the NES as hardware from 1985, but actually that was created in 1983, less than a year after the ColecoVision had been released. The Famicom was absolutely state-of-art when it came out, far ahead the competition (ColecoVision/5200). Famicom Xevious was released in mid 1984 in Japan. Now compare that to the 7800 version (which was created about the same time). The difference isn't just because of hardware, but because it was Namco doing the port, that was their game, and that shows. Same goes for Dig-Dug and Galaga.

However we fast forward 30 years and we now have an advantage that Japanese programmers didn't have back in the 80s. We have unlimited development time to polish games to death and try to make things a little more even. :)

Now please let's not derail this thread with NES x ColecoVision or US x Japan arguments. If necessary please create another topic and we can discuss that there.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 2

And also, if you don't mind, the projected price? :cool:

Price isn't a problem. I have learned that ColecoVision people are a very wealthy bunch, they spend hundreds of dollars every year with ColecoVision games, mods and accessories. So I was thinking of $200 for such a advanced piece of hardware. But that would be for the module only, if you want the documentation that is going to cost you another $50. Add another $50 to have it shipped inside a box, otherwise a padded envelope will be used.

Eduardo, you damn near gave me a heart attack! :P

Yep, you're right Eduardo, ... NES (Famicom) was released in Japan in 1983, ... and Yamauchi-San was well aware what was going on in North America, and even Europe

Atari was supposed to distribute the NES in North America at some point.... until they get pissed off to see Coleco release DK on ADAM :P

Edited by retroillucid