IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Will the module have legs or feet as it looks to be "floating" in this picture (I know it’s not your final product). Just wondering since it looks like it just hangs onto the expansion port connection, which I would think would be bad in the long term.

It has a single leg. The expansion port on the ADAM follows the same specs as the CV, so modules can fit the same on both.

Cool. I have one of those ADAM dialers from eColeco but never took it out of the box (it’s still sealed). I think your use of the auto dialer as the basis for the SGM case was brilliant; you can't get any more "retro" on the design than basing it off something that actually existed. Nice work.

Cool. I have one of those ADAM dialers from eColeco but never took it out of the box (it’s still sealed). I think your use of the auto dialer as the basis for the SGM case was brilliant; you can't get any more "retro" on the design than basing it off something that actually existed. Nice work.

Actually using that case was NIAD's idea, as I had never seen an auto dialer before. But I agree, I think we were very fortunate that Coleco ever created that case.

you may want to try Canada for quotes too.. specifically Windsor, ON. We have lots of plastic mold places for the Detroit automotive business across the river, greenhouses, farmers in Southern, ON etc..

here's one..

http://hawkplastics.com/request_for_quote.html

just google Windsor, Ontario plastic mold etc.. you'll find lots.

Actually using that case was NIAD's idea, as I had never seen an auto dialer before. But I agree, I think we were very fortunate that Coleco ever created that case.

Actually, Actually, I originally saw PixelBoy's mention of trying to use the ADAM AutoDialer in post between the two of you. Since I had an extra one, I figured you'd get more use out of it than me and I also must admit... I was hoping that it would speed up the completion of the SGM and DKA. Which it seems to have done!!!

Actually, Actually, I originally saw PixelBoy's mention of trying to use the ADAM AutoDialer in post between the two of you. Since I had an extra one, I figured you'd get more use out of it than me and I also must admit... I was hoping that it would speed up the completion of the SGM and DKA. Which it seems to have done!!!

Really? I don't remember Luc suggesting me the Auto Dialer. But then it is quite possible I wasn't paying attention... ;)

Really? I don't remember Luc suggesting me the Auto Dialer. But then it is quite possible I wasn't paying attention... ;)

I understand! :grin:

I believe I was involved in some capacity in the idea. I had an AutoDialer right here, which I took apart long before Eduardo took apart his own. Not sure if I could ever find the exact post where I made the initial suggestion though...

I believe I was involved in some capacity in the idea. I had an AutoDialer right here, which I took apart long before Eduardo took apart his own. Not sure if I could ever find the exact post where I made the initial suggestion though...

I can't recall the post either (probably a couple years ago), but it was a stroke of genious on your part that I even overlooked suggesting. It really is great that the SGM housing will take on the shape of a Coleco made hardware item even though it was made for the ADAM.

As I was working on the SGM catalog, I was trying to compile a list of arcade games that I would like to eventually port to the SGM. Boy, I wish I was still in my 20s. So many games... I figured out that if I improve a little my pace and keep porting games until I am 60, maybe I could get 15 more arcade games ported. You can argue that in 10 years I was only able to release 3 arcade ports (including DKA), but then SIC and PMC were 2 games in 1 cartridge, so I would say 5 games. Plus, I started work on several others that I am still to release, so yeah, I believe that if I keep working on them and I keep healthy for the next 20 years, then 15 more games would be possible.

So here is the list, based on personal preference:

- Moon Patrol

- Kangaroo

- Pengo

- Dig-Dug

- Popeye

- Arkanoid

- Gyruss

- Joust

- Pole Position

- Donkeu Kong Jr

- Time Pilot

- Rally-X

- Galaga

- Xevious

- Zaxxon

About half of the list (7 titles) are games never before released on the ColecoVision. 3 games (Joust, Moon Patrol and Dig-Dug) are games available in prototype form, and 5 games (Popeye, Gyruss, Zaxxon, DK Jr and Time Pilot) are games already available for the ColecoVision, but that could be done better.

Some of the games would be fairly easy to port, as I already have an engine for their hardware (Pengo, DK Jr), while other would pose quite a challenge (Moon Patrol, Pole Position). A couple uses a 6809 CPU (Gyruss, Joust), which would require extensive rewrite of the code. Some of them (Arkanoid, Rally-X, Pengo) I have already started coding.

Once DKA is released I will probably start working on one of the following: Pengo, Dig-Dug, Popeye, DK Jr, Time Pilot, as I believe those are 5 of the easiest to port, and I want to grow the SGM library as fast as possible. But we can decide that at the proper time.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

Does that mean Goonies is not going to be done cause that game looked awesome on your website?

That is my list for arcade games, which takes a lot more time and effort to port than MSX games. I have a second list for MSX ports, and I plan to eventually release 6 games under the Opcode Games brand: Knightmare, Goonies, Gradius, Penguin Adventure, Maze of Galious, and R-Type. In fact the former 2 are already ported and are probably my next releases after DKA.

You took a list of names for "preorders" a while back. Did you ever keep that or once you are getting closer, are you going to start a new one?

I still have that list, and I will contact everyone there.

However at this point I am not 100% sure about how I am going to handle the SGM launch. I am waiting for a last quote for the project, so work on the mold start probably next week. In fact I am taking a week off from my job next week so I can give the project full attention. Supposing we have the project done by mid March, then we would need 2 months for the actual mold. That means I should have the cases by late May. My plans are to start preliminary beta on the SGM PCB in March. With early beta starting in April, and then late beta in June, I think the SGM would be ok to release by August.

Now that is just the SGM. We still need DKA. I can resume work on DKA as soon as work on the SGM is done, that is, around April. So I still believe I can have both SGM and DKA released in 2012.

Problem is, the required investiment is out of this world. The whole thing would end costing near $15,000 when all is said and done.

So... I was wondering if I can handle this in parts. Both Luc and J-F have Super Games planned for this year, so I was wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea if I can get the SGM out before DKA (let's say, in August), even if it is a limited run. The main advantage for me would be that I could recoup some of my money before DKA. I was thinking about a limited run, like 30 to 50 units. I know for sure that J-F plans to have a Super Game before August (not sure about Luc, as there may be some logistic problems in his case). So lack of Super Games isn't a problem if I decide to release in August. The only small problem would be the lack of a proper box, since I am planning to use DKA box to house both the game and module. That problem would temporary though, as once DKA is out those who got the SGM in advance would finally place the SGM in the DKA box.

So how does that sound? I haven't discussed any of that with Luc and J-F, but that is an idea that just occured me.

• Like 1

It sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind being in the initial group and waiting for DKA to plug into the box later ;)

I guess if J-F and Luc games are not ready then I would just sit with it on the shelf and I would stare at it like I used to stare at the colecovision vapor ware and wonder how awesome it would be :)

I think as long as we have something to play, it should be good. Granted, having the whole package (SGM/DKA) released would be the best case scenario, but you have to do what you have to do.

Last year while working on our Astrocade project, atariage member "ballyalley" told me "don't worry about the timeline. This is our HOBBY". I have very much taken his advice to heart.

That problem would temporary though, as once DKA is out those who got the SGM in advance would finally place the SGM in the DKA box.

You gotta be kidding me!!! :P

There is no way I'm going to place the SGM in the box... it's going to be plugged into the ColecoVision's Expansion Module Interface!!!

One question, are you going to limit purchases of the SGM to one per customer as I was thinking that I would want two?

That problem would temporary though, as once DKA is out those who got the SGM in advance would finally place the SGM in the DKA box.

You gotta be kidding me!!! :P

There is no way I'm going to place the SGM in the box... it's going to be plugged into the ColecoVision's Expansion Module Interface!!!

One question, are you going to limit purchases of the SGM to one per customer as I was thinking that I would want two?

Absolutely not! Considering how much I will be paying for the mold, the more I sell the better. :)

I may however limit purchases of the first batch, in case I decide to go with a limited run in August. But once DKA is out, I will make the SGM available for as long as there is demand for it.

However at this point I am not 100% sure about how I am going to handle the SGM launch. I am waiting for a last quote for the project, so work on the mold start probably next week. In fact I am taking a week off from my job next week so I can give the project full attention. Supposing we have the project done by mid March, then we would need 2 months for the actual mold. That means I should have the cases by late May. My plans are to start preliminary beta on the SGM PCB in March. With early beta starting in April, and then late beta in June, I think the SGM would be ok to release by August.

Now that is just the SGM. We still need DKA. I can resume work on DKA as soon as work on the SGM is done, that is, around April. So I still believe I can have both SGM and DKA released in 2012.

Problem is, the required investiment is out of this world. The whole thing would end costing near $15,000 when all is said and done.

So... I was wondering if I can handle this in parts. Both Luc and J-F have Super Games planned for this year, so I was wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea if I can get the SGM out before DKA (let's say, in August), even if it is a limited run. The main advantage for me would be that I could recoup some of my money before DKA. I was thinking about a limited run, like 30 to 50 units. I know for sure that J-F plans to have a Super Game before August (not sure about Luc, as there may be some logistic problems in his case). So lack of Super Games isn't a problem if I decide to release in August. The only small problem would be the lack of a proper box, since I am planning to use DKA box to house both the game and module. That problem would temporary though, as once DKA is out those who got the SGM in advance would finally place the SGM in the DKA box.

So how does that sound? I haven't discussed any of that with Luc and J-F, but that is an idea that just occured me.

My next batch of games are slated for release on Christmas Day 2012, and I have no plans to do any early releases, as it's logistically impossible for me to do so. I assume the SGM will be ready and available by then.

I'm also assuming that King's Valley will be completed this year, and that you'll find some time to work on The Black Onyx at some point. And then there's Thexder, and the other two MSX ports which are currently under vote. I'm seing your time table for the SGM and DKA, and I can't help but wonder where you'll find the time to complete all those games for Team Pixelboy. And then there's also Rollerball and perhaps other games for CollectorVision...?

I do not doubt that you intend to port all those games, but I think you're putting a lot of weight on your shoulders if you want to get all this done before the end of the year...

Edited by Pixelboy

I'm on shipping the lastest games (A.E, Armageddon, WotEF) , then I'll start pre-order for Side Trak, Burn Rubber, Chess Challenger and Zombie Near (I already have manuals for those games)

At the end of March, I'm going to release the Arcade Controller & the 30 Anniversary Special Games

Then, free time .... so I guess I could release 1 or 2 SuperGames in April, May

Contact me Eduardo and we'll talk about it :)

Edited by retroillucid