IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Most of the best electronics today are made in China

Totally Agree. That's not why i don't like the idea the module is done in china.

It is mainly because nowaday all go to china. Personnaly i prefer pay more somebody in my country than to pay less somebody in china.

Will you provide a Colecovision to china to test? :)

Most of the best electronics today are made in China

Totally Agree. That's not why i don't like the idea the module is done in china.

It is mainly because nowaday all go to china. Personnaly i prefer pay more somebody in my country than to pay less somebody in china.

Are you suggesting me to have the module made in France? :)

And isn't your game made in Canada? They speak French but the last time I checked they werent part of France anymore, right? ;)

Ok, I am just poking you... anyway I still prefer to pay less, no matter what, the US can make money with services, and that is actually what is happening here...

Will you provide a Colecovision to china to test? :)

I don't think I am in the liberty of openly discuss that because of some confidentiality clauses... Perhaps in the future.

EDIT: Ok, just checked with them and actually I shouldn't reveal any specific of the process, though it is ok to reveal who is the party I am associated with.

So it's with great pleasure that I can now announce that Opcode Games have partnered with Nurve Networks to finish the SEM. Nurve is going to not just take care of the whole manufacturing process but will also offer technical consulting during the rest of the design phase to make sure the final module is of the highest possible quality. I would say that this project has raised a few notches now…

The Nurve name doesn't ring a bell? Perhaps you are familiar with the name XGameStation or Andre' Lamothe then…

http://www.xgamestation.com/index.php

Edited by opcode

And Eduardo, what is the multi plug for in the bottom of the pcb. ?

That is the parallel port connector. Two 8-bit bi-directional I/O ports to be used with special controllers, CV-2-CV connection or CV-2-PC connection. Should be fun...

And the 3 buttons you want to remove again. :)

The 3 buttons were planned to add some extra functionality to legacy games, but I decided to remove them from the final version for several reasons, among them the fact that they could raise the price of the final board and enclosure and that legacy games aren't a priority with the module.

BTW, the final board will look nothing like that, as we are going to replace all components with SMT parts. It should be quite smaller too. Plans are to have the beta board done before the end of the year. Beta testing should start by the end of spring next year (because we still need the software), with the module releasing around July/August.

that Opcode Games have partnered with Nurve Networks to finish the SEM.

Ok, that .. is a really good news! :) I'm a fan of Andre lamothe!!!

Are you suggesting me to have the module made in France?

Why not.. it would cost you 10 times more and if you are lucky , they will be on strike only half of the year , you could have your module ready for 2020. :)

Most of the best electronics today are made in China. The best PC motherboards, video cards, etc. So, yeah, China can also produce some s*** stuff, but I can assure that isn't the case here, as we are using a proved manufacturer. I can't reveal beyond that though, as I am under NDA. Suffice to say there is a big name behind the module manufacturing now...

So you've got an NDA in effect for a piece of hardware that will be produced in about 200 exemplaries, for a 25-year-old american gaming console? The word "overkill" comes to mind... :ponder:

Most of the best electronics today are made in China. The best PC motherboards, video cards, etc. So, yeah, China can also produce some s*** stuff, but I can assure that isn't the case here, as we are using a proved manufacturer. I can't reveal beyond that though, as I am under NDA. Suffice to say there is a big name behind the module manufacturing now...

So you've got an NDA in effect for a piece of hardware that will be produced in about 200 exemplaries, for a 25-year-old american gaming console? The word "overkill" comes to mind... :ponder:

That isn't my fault. That is just how seriously Andre takes his business. He is very professional...

I'd like to make sure I'm on the list!

:D

AX

If you sent your name to Bia and got a confirmation back then you are in the list.

BTW, the module will be produced in the exact quantity of names in the list, if you miss it you will need to wait for the next batch which would take a while since we need 50 names at least.

I'd bet you would easily sell another 50 if you post a marketplace thread with the pics and youtube links. I loaded the page, clicked the youtube, made my pants wet, and posted about wanting one on auto-pilot. I'd been following other threads and know this was coming, but didn't notice over the last few weeks that you were taking orders.

AX

I'd bet you would easily sell another 50 if you post a marketplace thread with the pics and youtube links. I loaded the page, clicked the youtube, made my pants wet, and posted about wanting one on auto-pilot. I'd been following other threads and know this was coming, but didn't notice over the last few weeks that you were taking orders.

AX

Once the module is in beta, with finished software, case, hardware, etc, we should start promoting it in full force (magazines, youtube, retro gaming websites, etc).

We started a new design of the board today. Basically we are shrinking everything to SMT components, and we will be adding the Oki sound chip too. The push buttons were removed and the final board should be a lot smaller than the previous prototype. I and Andre also want to create an intermediate board to test sound. There is no scientific way to design the sound mixing thing (especially considering that we need to mix both sound chips with the internal CV PSG) without doing some experimentation, to make sure that we get the best possible sound quality, and that all sound generators will output at the same level (same volume). Hope to have a beta board before the end of the year.

Replacing all the 74HCT ICs with more modern 74LV-A/T parts. 3 to 4 times faster, lower power. With everything now SMT (except for the PSG, which doesn't exist in SMT format) the size of the board has reduced drastically, it should be just a bit larger than the 1st board, which was about the size of my hand (but had less than half of the components). So we save on the board, and we will save on the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Eduardo. :)

Would it be possible for game developers through the new SE Module to select exactly the colors you could possibly want.

eg. Orange, Brown, Pink, etc..?

And what about flicker in new SEM games. ?

Ole Nielsen.

Hi Ole,

The SEM doesn't touch the CV video, so no changes whatever in the video capabilities.

I get worried when we havn't heard from the Op-meister (Opcode) in a while :)

I am ok, just got back from some extended vacations.

First news is that we have a pre-quote for the module board: $50, including all components and assembled. Not bad. We add $20 for the DK cartridge plus printed stuff, and we end with $70. Now I just need to find out how much the case will be. It needs to be less than $30, otherwise we go back to the drawing board.

I still have a few surprises, but I will leave those for next year.

[EDIT]: BTW, all unanswered emails to Bia will get a reply soon. Bia was busy the last couple of months taking care of Opcode Jr. :)

Edited by opcode