IGNORED

Fancy a SpeedDrive?

candle

hmm,

think I already have a Degas viewer program from Antic or Analog for the 130XE in my collection, it will display a Degas picture in 640x400 or 320x400 on the small A8 using page-flipping (and/or interlaced/interleaved) Gr. 8 screens. Alas, in both resolutions the display is flickery as hell on my PAL Atari - and I guess its not so much better on NTSC machines...

Yep, just found it, its VIEWDEG.COM on the attached disks. The other program can convert/save a Degas picture as a standard Gr.8 picture - but one requires a joystick in port 2 (press the fire button for the menu to appear)...

-Andreas Koch.

Well..... you could do 640x400 without interlacing if you had a monitor to display it. Most of our modern LCD TV screens will handle 480i and 480p thru the component input. Set up four GR.8 screens and digitize the video - run that thru a look-up table. 640x400 as you like it! You could boot in 480i and switch to 480p on the fly. The monitor will follow along. What you would lose, for the most part, is the 60hz frame rate. Using four screens would choke it down to 15hz, I would expect. Unless you have a VBXE - not sure what one of those can do.

Bob

You wouldn't want to actually interleave the video... the output would be one frame of 640x480 every 16ms. What would take time is to digitize each of the four 320x200 screens. Four cycles, to be exact, so the frame update rate would be limited to 15hz. (although a single 320x200 panel could be updated at 60hz, it would only be digitized every fourth frame - you could probably force an update out of sequence, I suppose)

Bob

hmm,

think I already have a Degas viewer program from Antic or Analog for the 130XE in my collection, it will display a Degas picture in 640x400 or 320x400 on the small A8 using page-flipping (and/or interlaced/interleaved) Gr. 8 screens. Alas, in both resolutions the display is flickery as hell on my PAL Atari - and I guess its not so much better on NTSC machines...

Yep, just found it, its VIEWDEG.COM on the attached disks. The other program can convert/save a Degas picture as a standard Gr.8 picture - but one requires a joystick in port 2 (press the fire button for the menu to appear)...

-Andreas Koch.

Well..... you could do 640x400 without interlacing if you had a monitor to display it. Most of our modern LCD TV screens will handle 480i and 480p thru the component input. Set up four GR.8 screens and digitize the video - run that thru a look-up table. 640x400 as you like it! You could boot in 480i and switch to 480p on the fly. The monitor will follow along. What you would lose, for the most part, is the 60hz frame rate. Using four screens would choke it down to 15hz, I would expect. Unless you have a VBXE - not sure what one of those can do.

Bob

• 2 months later...

still unknown

firmware development hasn't even started - i need to "write" hardware first icon_wink.gif

it has to be user friendly, so i need atr support - one way or another

OK - gives me time to start saving up. Will the system be entirely ATR based, or will be be able to use an attached IDE device at the "low level" (and perhaps use a CF card for transferring data via ATRs)?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the actual status, i'm very interested in Speeddrive. It is a great work in the original mind of ATARI - use PBI like 1090.

But i have questions: Speeddrive have three way for conntectings storage (SD,CF and IDE).

Can Speeddrive use all three at the same time as separate Disks? Ca it connect more then one Harddisk and/or CF-Card a the same time?

Can we have in the future a Version with only SD-Slot, but more the one of these? I use only SD-Cards at the moment.

Valerie

Edited by EightBitWitch

What is the actual status, i'm very interested in Speeddrive. It is a great work in the original mind of ATARI - use PBI like 1090.

But i have questions: Speeddrive have three way for conntectings storage (SD,CF and IDE).

Can Speeddrive use all three at the same time as separate Disks? Ca it connect more then one Harddisk and/or CF-Card a the same time?

Can we have in the future a Version with only SD-Slot, but more the one of these? I use only SD-Cards at the moment.

Valerie

I can at least say that Candle told me all three slots can be used at once, as separate drives. The rest I am not sure.

Hi Mathy

I don't think i can afford going to Germany this summer, but i'll be on Glucholazy party

I'll do better next year i promise ;)

Sebastian

That's sad, especially since Lengenfeld has a direct train connection to Kraslice/CZ - a ride of 46 minutes only. I don't know how long a trip it is to Kraslice though, or by car. I'll travel by train from Hamburg via Hanover, Leipzig and Zwickau.

Thorsten

It'll be a shame if this project doesn't get the support it deserves from the community, since it's one of the only PBI based storage options on the horizon. MyIDE is the only readily available parallel solution, but the non-standard OS required for that device has never appealed.

Edited by flashjazzcat

It'll be a shame if this project doesn't get the support it deserves from the community, since it's one of the only PBI based storage options on the horizon. MyIDE is the only readily available parallel solution, but the non-standard OS required for that device has never appealed.

Someone could write a driver for SpartaDOS X and you wouldn't require the modified OS... I have no clue how to compile a driver for SDX myself.

Someone could write a driver for SpartaDOS X and you wouldn't require the modified OS... I have no clue how to compile a driver for SDX myself.

Never thought of that. I'm not too hot on SDX driver structure myself but I'm sure there are some MADS wizards who could come up with one, preferably with cooperation and endorsement from Steven Tucker. That wouldn't solve the problem of MyIDE and Internal SpartaDOS X fighting for the same physical space on the motherboard, however. icon_sad.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat