IGNORED

Fancy a SpeedDrive?

candle

As its for the XL this would be more interesting to me if it included a RAM expansion. I have an 800 XL at the moment and I don't want to tamper with the insides! An external memory expansion would probably appeal to quite a few XL owners. How about a simm socket? I have quite a few old simms I could donate for testing if your interested?

Barnie

Looks great. Will there be SpartaDOS on the SpeedDrive ROM to boot from? AFAIK this is the only DOS really capable of working fast with "large" partitions - GoodByteXL demonstrated the advances of SpartaDOS with an XL software dictionary on his MSC-IDE on the last ABBUC RENO meeting.

Thorsten

Mathy, Orpheuswaking...

You can't be serious.. MyDOS sucks total ass compared to Sparta X.. They are not even comparable.. Not by a mile..

That's like comparing a cheap adjustable wrench(Mydos) to an entire mechanic's grade tool set(Sparta X)..

And that's a very fair comparisson..

Have you taken a glance at the Sparta X 4.42 manual?

Geeze.. join the rest of the world and give up the crappy menu-dependant, ancient DOS...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Fond as I am of MyDOS, I think SpartaDOS X is the proverbial "no brainer" in this case.

Right - MyDOS has no 512 byte sector support, no path variable, no software 64 col and 80 col drivers, no R-Time support, piss-poor (IMHO) way of handling subdirectories, no command line parameter passing, no banked memory manager, the list goes on.

Stephen Anderson

Well,

I would like the new HDD interface to support both a) plain harddisk partitions (as with Blackbox, MIO, old msc-IDE and others) and b) ATR/XFD images. This way I could copy all my disks/images (even bootdisks!) to the harddisk. Otherwise, I am set for files only (no bootdisks) and err, mostly files that will run under MyDOS or SpartaDOS... I prefer both worlds, just like the MyIDE supports both worlds (pure files and disk images).

As for the housing, if the pcb were not that big, I could use a 1010 as a housing (currently I have 7 of them here), but as big as the pcb seems to be, I guess I need at least a 1050 as a housing (too sad, I don`t have any I could spare or sacrifice for the HD-interface)...

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: Afaik, someone mentioned at the annual Abbuc meeting, that the new msc-IDE will not only be smaller, it will also support ATR images (and partitions with files). Hopefully mega-hz will make some of the new msc-IDE interfaces available soon (currently there is only one proto or maybe two)...

i will go for a dos (any dos) that supports partitions as big as 4gb, because what we have today is a bit ehm.. outdated?

i mean 32mb partitions? really? how generous!

anyways i'm making somebody life a lot more difficult bugging this person constantly for such support ;) hopefully i'll get what i want ;)

how would anyone manage more than few directories on a drive using mydos? it belongs right into the same category of thins as "my computer" "my pictures" or "my music" - i think i'm smart enought to manage the disk myself, i don't need OS to tell me where to put the files ;)

i will go for a dos (any dos) that supports partitions as big as 4gb, because what we have today is a bit ehm.. outdated?

i mean 32mb partitions? really? how generous!

So who is the poor guy being buggered by you to finally implement sector clusters into SD 4.42, and how will the resulting DOS be named - SpartaDos V (as it will be the successor to 4.42), SpartaDOS Lambda (as the Spartans had painted their shields with large Lambdas - for Lakedaimon)? CandleDOS?

Thorsten

Can I vote for DOS 2.0? That's what I've been using on a CF card for the last 10 or 15 years. (with a little MyDOS thrown in) What kind of application would need a 32MB partition? Used in DD, 2.0 has 180K of space. Takes 2 seconds to change 'disks'. Works with everything.

Bob

Hello guys

I vote for MyDOS.

greetings

Mathy

Remember just its a PBI device, and as such is not dos dependand

If any of You have some specific features in mind please express yourself ;)

Voting is not something will influence basic design ;)

Thorsten: Thanks for the sarcasm ;) i don't think i suffer from megalomania ;)

Edited by candle

Can I vote for DOS 2.0? That's what I've been using on a CF card for the last 10 or 15 years. (with a little MyDOS thrown in) What kind of application would need a 32MB partition? Used in DD, 2.0 has 180K of space. Takes 2 seconds to change 'disks'. Works with everything.

Bob

Well,

it depends if you are only using (playing) games, applications or if you are also watching/enjoying demos, animations and such. There are already various demos and animations for the A8 available that require far more than 180k disk-space (even when they are packed). The 320k, 576k and 1088k demos and animations, the many animations Sijmen did for his MyIDE (where only the viewer has to be changed to use/watch them on other harddisk-enhancements) that are often between 1 MB and 16MB in length. How about some GUI`s like BOSS X, ATOS and others that require dozens of disks or just one large 16MB harddisk image...?!?

Yes, I know, these are not the things an Atarian uses or watches every day. But these things are kinda fun to have and fun to show to others (e.g. at computer shows). Attached an example of Sijmen`s "YAR`s Revenge" movie, which he did with sampled sound for his MyIDE, but this version is changed in such a way it will only play the movie off of an 1MB ramdisk (and this demo/ani/movie requires more than 180k disk-space, I used a 1440k image for it). Just think how fast it would load from a harddisk partition (no ramdisk needed then) vs. how long it loads from a 1440k disk (or how long it would load from several 180k disks)... -Andreas Koch.

P.S.: If I remember correctly, when the movie has been copied completely into the RD, you have to binary load TB XL manually from disk with option "L" (I tried with MyDOS`s *.AR0, *.AR1 and :Ramdisk options, but it did not work - whenever TB XL was named as an Autorun, the copy-process of the movie into the RD stopped after 37kb and then TB XL started)... looks, like the copy-process of files in :Ramdisk is stopped in MyDOS 4.5x after 37kb if there is more than one *.ARx (in MyDOS 4.50 there was only one Autorun.SYS!)... :-(

Edited by CharlieChaplin

As Candle says: it's just a PBI interface and not DOS dependent.

I have 16,000,000 sectors available in 64,000 sector chunks, to use any way I wish. I suppose you could make a movie at 8fps or more and run it just by streaming the data from the CF card. What would you use DOS for?

I print envelopes and labels, checks and such using BasicXL, do m/l with ASM/ED. I use DOS 2.0 for that. Games are for the grandkids when they come over - mostly on cart. I had some Infocom on the CF card, IIRC.

Bob

Bob

Well,

it depends if you are only using (playing) games, applications or if you are also watching/enjoying demos, animations and such. There are already various demos and animations for the A8 available that require far more than 180k disk-space (even when they are packed). The 320k, 576k and 1088k demos and animations, the many animations Sijmen did for his MyIDE (where only the viewer has to be changed to use/watch them on other harddisk-enhancements) that are often between 1 MB and 16MB in length. How about some GUI`s like BOSS X, ATOS and others that require dozens of disks or just one large 16MB harddisk image...?!?

Yes, I know, these are not the things an Atarian uses or watches every day. But these things are kinda fun to have and fun to show to others (e.g. at computer shows). Attached an example of Sijmen`s "YAR`s Revenge" movie, which he did with sampled sound for his MyIDE, but this version is changed in such a way it will only play the movie off of an 1MB ramdisk (and this demo/ani/movie requires more than 180k disk-space, I used a 1440k image for it). Just think how fast it would load from a harddisk partition (no ramdisk needed then) vs. how long it loads from a 1440k disk (or how long it would load from several 180k disks)... -Andreas Koch.

P.S.: If I remember correctly, when the movie has been copied completely into the RD, you have to binary load TB XL manually from disk with option "L" (I tried with MyDOS`s *.AR0, *.AR1 and :Ramdisk options, but it did not work - whenever TB XL was named as an Autorun, the copy-process of the movie into the RD stopped after 37kb and then TB XL started)... looks, like the copy-process of files in :Ramdisk is stopped in MyDOS 4.5x after 37kb if there is more than one *.ARx (in MyDOS 4.50 there was only one Autorun.SYS!)... :-(

Gotta admit, I still use DOS 2.5

Problem is, it's no good for large files, ie > about 127K.

For the most part an Atari never needs files that big. But with VBXE and other upgrades all that can change.

Ideally such a device might have a flashrom where you could put whatever you want. But if it was the case of something set in stone, I'd vote Sparta.

I'd also advise to have the option to skip booting if the user wanted (e.g. hold Shift).

Another nicety would be for it to use the bare minimum of main RAM.

So who is the poor guy being buggered by you to finally implement sector clusters into SD 4.42, and how will the resulting DOS be named - SpartaDos V (as it will be the successor to 4.42), SpartaDOS Lambda (as the Spartans had painted their shields with large Lambdas - for Lakedaimon)? CandleDOS?

The "poor guy" is the same one who has expanded the SPARTA.SYS filesystem driver to accept larger sectors. At the time being, it is 95% decided that the further filesystem expansion will go towards 32-bit file mapping instead of staying at 16-bit mapping and enlarging logical sector. Unfortunately we can't have both extensions at the same time and I see no sense of implementing both anyway. The main concern is to keep RAM requirements at the same level as they're now. And no, the name of the DOS wouldn't change.

As for MyDOS, there's one important thing: MyDOS is slow. It is visible on fast hard drives, reading speed is about 1/2 of SDX.

PS. For people who like menuses:

mydup.png

;)

Edited by drac030

The "poor guy" is the same one who has expanded the SPARTA.SYS filesystem driver to accept larger sectors. At the time being, it is 95% decided that the further filesystem expansion will go towards 32-bit file mapping instead of staying at 16-bit mapping and enlarging logical sector. Unfortunately we can't have both extensions at the same time and I see no sense of implementing both anyway. The main concern is to keep RAM requirements at the same level as they're now. And no, the name of the DOS wouldn't change.

As for MyDOS, there's one important thing: MyDOS is slow. It is visible on fast hard drives, reading speed is about 1/2 of SDX.

PS. For people who like menuses:

mydup.png

As ugly as always. If anyone would aim for something prettier (like a stripped-down BOSS-XE, TRS Desktop or Diamond OS), it would be appreciated (well, at least by me).

Thorsten