IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Looks like this is going to be a pretty big week again!

We're over 4,000 minutes this week although I wasn't thinking about how the Super Bowl will probably limit the amount of Sunday minutes we see. The NES is having a spectacular week (thanks to StanJr).

Here are my numbers for the full week. My girlfriend and I have spent the past couple evenings grappling with a rather frustrating text adventure for C64. Not only is the program slow to load and change scenes, but we don't have a spare blank disk to save our game, so we've done a lot of retracing of our steps (fortunately not THAT much, but still more than enough). So that may skew the numbers a bit.

C64:

Frogger - 13 min.

The Wizard and the Princess - 455 min. (gulp!)

Coleco:

Alcazar - The Forgotten Fortress - 5 min.

Intellivision:

Auto Racing - 2 min.

Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man - 3 min.

Mission X - 7 min.

Space Attack Space Battle - 35 min.

Thunder Castle - 39 min.

Edited by thegoldenband

Here are my numbers for the full week. My girlfriend and I have spent the past couple evenings grappling with a rather frustrating text adventure for C64. Not only is the program slow to load and change scenes, but we don't have a spare blank disk to save our game, so we've done a lot of retracing of our steps (fortunately not THAT much, but still more than enough). So that may skew the numbers a bit.

C64:

Frogger - 13 min.

The Wizard and the Princess - 455 min. (gulp!)

Coleco:

Alcazar - The Forgotten Fortress - 5 min.

Intellivision:

Auto Racing - 2 min.

Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man - 3 min.

Mission X - 7 min.

Space Attack - 35 min.

Thunder Castle - 39 min.

I really like playing text adventures with other people.

I think Space Attack is really Space Battle. Space Attack is the same game but for the Atari.

Atari 2600

Pac-Man - 30 minutes

Intellivision

Burgertime - 60 minutes

NES

R.C. Pro Am - 20 minutes

Batman - 20 minutes

Popeye - 25 minutes

RBI Baseball - 10 minutes

Kings of the Beach - 30 minutes

Genesis

Phantasy Star 4 - 120 minutes

I really like playing text adventures with other people.

Me too! You can listen to music, take turns at the keyboard, one of you can map while the other one types...it's definitely a "two heads are better than one" situation. :)

I think Space Attack is really Space Battle. Space Attack is the same game but for the Atari.

Argh, yes, my mistake! I always get those confused along with Armor Battle/Ambush, et al. Post now edited!

• Like 1

The NES is having a spectacular week (thanks to StanJr).

Yeah, I've kinda been on a kick. Plus I'm really into Clash at Demonhead, so expect to see big numbers from that. However, I am going out of town this week, so my Stella emu is going to get some run as is Nestopia.

This is fun, thank you cvga!

:D

• Like 1

Tried to edit my original post but I couldn't, so here's some commentary for the stuff I've played today.

Tried to get some new high scores for the different HSC. Moderate luck with Pac-Man, nothing new with Burgertime and I'm terrible at R.C. Pro Am.

Batman for the NES - I always enjoyed and would like to finish. Each time I play it I get a little farther. I think this is one of the best looking games for the NES. The Batman name was treated well since most games based on movies don't look or play that good.

Always liked Popeye so I enjoy throwing it in once in a while to just play. If I ever find the arcade cabinet of this game at a reasonable price I'll snap it up.

RBI Baseball...threw it in to make sure it was as bad as I remember. It was.

Kings of the Beach. Not a game I figured I'd play a lot, but I like it. I'm sure I'll finish it soon and then it'll go in a drawer and not be touched again for a long time.

Phantasy Star 4 is the last of the 4 part series that I've never finished so I'm determined to do so. I really like the Phantasy Star series. It's nice that they've bumped up the amount of cash the mobs drop so you don't have to spend hours and hours grinding away to get a new piece of armor or a weapon.

I haven't played any of the other Phantasy Star games for any other systems. Phantasy Star always seemed to be a Sega 8/16-bit series but one of these days I hope to try some others.

So my personal rankings for the original Phantasy Star series...

1. Phantasy Star IV

2. Phantasy Star (original on the SMS. I remember when I got the walk-through for the final fight passed on from a friend who got it from a friend at an arcade and had it photocopied. Yeah, no interwebs to just go and look it up.)

3. Phantasy Star II (Great looking but extremely hard. I think the walk-through manual is a must to finish this game and still have some sanity left.)

4. Phantasy Star III (Way to easy and a big step backwards after the beauty of II. It had an interesting take with the generations and the multiple endings. It looks like the developers spent so much time on that, the graphics and gameplay suffered.)

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm a bit late again.

Here are my times for the past week:

Centipede (Intellivision) 122 minutes (in 2 sessions)

Centipede (TI-99) 358 minutes (in 4 sessions)

Defender (TI-99) 44 minutes

Pole Position (TI-99) 15 minutes

Astro Fighter (TI-99) 10 minutes

Centipede (Atari 2600) 10 minutes

Although I now made it to play the Intellivision version of Centipede as it should be, I still like the TI-99 version better. One part of the game is that you can blast away mushrooms that are very near to you almost in an instant, but that doesn't work on the Intellivision. I also read something about the Intellivision's CPU which actually seems to be pretty slow compared to a 6502... on the Intellvision you only get about 128000 instructions per second, while on the Atari 2600 you have about 300000 of them, but of course, you don't have all of them for processing the game logic there.

The TI-99 also has a pretty slow processor. I'd estimate to be a bit faster (maybe by 10%) than the Intellivision one. But the programmers of "Centipede" made it to prioritize things so that the player and his shot still get processed on each frame, only the enemies get processed at a slower rate. This prioritizing of tasks greatly help the gameplay staying smooth.

The Atari 2600 version of Centipede is of course a bit off compared to the arcade. Most notably, the positions of the mushrooms which the shot centipede segments get turned into are somewhat off and differ from line to line. And the scorpion, already at 20000 points, gets so fast that it's nearly impossible to hit it, it crosses the screen in only one second. On the TI-99 it never gets that fast...

The TI-99 version of Pole Position also shows the slowness of the system. The 3D view of the street and the mountains in the background only gets updated about 1-2 times per second, and the enemy cars move at about 4 fps. I found out that you can keep maximum speed for nearly the whole track except for the hairpin curve where you have to slow down to about 100 mph if you don't want to skid to the right uncontrollably.

"Astro Fighter" differs a bit from the arcade version. This was an early arcade game with a bitmapped display. In contrast to that, the TI-99 version uses character graphics for the fleet of enemies and sprites for those enemies that are out of the formation. Unlike the arcade version, the enemies don't get faster as they diminish in number. The scoring also doesn't correspond to the arcade version... it seems you get much more points on the TI-99, and an extra life at 20.000 points. Also, your fuel supply isn't as tight as it is in the arcade where you actually need luck to make it through all the waves without running out of fuel.

Finally, with Defender Atarisoft tried to keep the speed of the game, but the game only runs at about 16 fps, and your own ship always moves in full character steps. Still it gets playable and faithful to the arcade, although the big explosions of the enemies have been sacrificed and converted to pretty small ones.

• Like 2

Beach Head (C64) 15 mins

Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SMS) 20 mins

Cloud Master (SMS) 10 mins

I'm woefully out of practice at Beach Head -- didn't even get to the final battle on the easiest level, when I used to be able to win on the hardest.

The rest of my gaming time this weekend (and most of the last few weeks) has been spent playing Dragon Age... I'm really enjoying it.

The NES is having a spectacular week (thanks to StanJr).

Yeah, I've kinda been on a kick. Plus I'm really into Clash at Demonhead, so expect to see big numbers from that. However, I am going out of town this week, so my Stella emu is going to get some run as is Nestopia.

This is fun, thank you cvga!

:D

Great! I'm glad people are enjoying the Top Ten as much as I am. Rmaerz made an excellent suggestion to move it to this forum!

Lots of snow = lots of game playing time as we crushed our prior record for minutes playing. 157 games were logged this week for 6,230 minutes!! The initial Intellivision HSC game can be considered a success as Burgertime finishes the week at #3. NES games continue to get strong support. I believe this is the first week ever that the Atari 2600 didn't make a showing in the Top Ten (although Kaboom! finished at #11).

1. The Wizard and the Princess (C-64) 455 minutes

2. Centipede (TI-99) 358

3. Burgertime (Intellivision) 346

4. The Legend of Zelda (NES) 260

5. Pokemon Red (GameBoy Color) 240

6. Metroid (NES) 210

7. King's Quest V (NES) 180

8. Parasol Stars (Turbo Grafx) 165

9. The Legendary Axe (Turbo Grafx) 155

10. Hang-On (Sega Master System) 145

Thanks to everyone for your strong support!

• Like 4

Here is the breakdown by system for the week...

1. NES (1,455 minutes)

2. Turbo Grafx (909)

3. Intellivision (730)

4. Commodore 64 (588)

5. Arcade (430)

6. TI-99 (427)

7. Atari 2600 (379)

8. GameBoy Color (285)

9. Sega Master System (215)

10. Colecovision (190)

11. Nintendo 64 (180)

12. Atari 5200 (125)

13. Genesis (120)

14. Microvision (102)

15. Atari 8-bit (65)

16. GameBoy (30)

• Like 4

Lastly, congratulations to Devil's Crush for becoming the 1st Turbo game and 21st game ever to join the 1,000 minute club!!

Here is a history of the 1,000 minute club members...

Season #1

1. Pitfall (2600) Week 2

2. Man Goes Down (2600) Week 8

3. Kaboom! (2600) Week 9

4. Toyshop Trouble (2600) Week 11

Season #2

5. Adventure (2600) Week 1

6. Jack and the Beanstalk (2600) Week 2

7. Dragster (2600) Week 3

8. Park Patrol (C-64) Week 5

9. Galaxian (2600) Week 24

10. Mouse Trap (COLV) Week 25