IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

------

Warlords - 15 minutes

Mean Santa - 10 minutes

Colecovision

------------

Donkey Kong Jr. - 10 minutes

Gamecube

----------

Zelda: Twilight Princess - 2 hrs. 20 min.

Chalk up another system as that's the first Gamecube game to be listed!

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

That's not classic - it came out in 2K1!

Hey, shouldn't you be playing Galaga :)

I thought we decided to error on the side of inclusion rather than exclusion when it coming to defining what's allowed. I'll go 11 deep for the Top Ten this week :)

• Like 1

I'd like it to be anything with an 8-bit CPU.

That's where we started but when I moved the thread to Classic Gaming, there were lots of people who wanted to expand the criteria. I don't mind and it's been good for participation. I like rmaerz's suggestion of excluding anything released after 2000. That would exclude Wii, Gamecube, Playstation 3, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Xbox. All other consoles would be fair game.

• Like 2

That's where we started but when I moved the thread to Classic Gaming, there were lots of people who wanted to expand the criteria. I don't mind and it's been good for participation. I like rmaerz's suggestion of excluding anything released after 2000. That would exclude Wii, Gamecube, Playstation 3, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Xbox. All other consoles would be fair game.

It's your thread. :)

(Personally, I think that the games that can be played for hours and hours without a reset or reload, such as SMB and pretty much everything that came thereafter skews the results. It's an entirely different thing to play Galaxian for 4 hours in a day than to play SMB or Quake for 4 hours in a day. I fear that, eventually, the earlier games will disappear from the lists. But since I'm not keeping the lists, it's not something I should be concerned about. But you asked for input, so there it is.)

• Like 2

It's everyone's thread. I just try to guide it in the way I perceive the group wanting to go.

I'll track all systems other than the ones I previously mentioned. At the end of the year, I'll provide an 8 bit Top 100 and an overall Top 100. That will continue to promote the great discussion we've been having and ensure that the systems from the 80s don't get lost in the shuffle.

• Like 2

It seems like the Jaguar has been the standard in the past for the "latest" console to be logged. So, if the Jaguar was released in 1993, then I would say any console released 1994 and later be excluded.

For me and a lot of people, classic gaming is Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Galaga et al. That covers all consoles and arcade games up to the NES. I agree that a case can be made up to the Jaguar because systems like the SNES, to my surprise, still had ties to the classic era. It's stretching it to call these classic consoles but hey I can be OK with that.

To me, the fun in this thread is seeing the games being played that I enjoyed or didn't enjoy playing in the first half of the 80s. So, logging games on the PS1, which I was playing in the grunge era, just does not hold the charm or nostalgia as those consoles released in the 70s or 80s.

• Like 2

It's everyone's thread. I just try to guide it in the way I perceive the group wanting to go.

I'll track all systems other than the ones I previously mentioned. At the end of the year, I'll provide an 8 bit Top 100 and an overall Top 100. That will continue to promote the great discussion we've been having and ensure that the systems from the 80s don't get lost in the shuffle.

That sounds good. Thank you!

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week, which has been a pretty strong gaming week for me:

The classic games (eligible for the Top 10):

Centipede (TI-99)... 437 minutes in 2 sessions

Millipede (Arcade)... 210 minutes in 2 sessions

Centipede (Arcade)... 80 minutes

Burger Time (Intellivision)... 32 minutes

Super Qix (Arcade)... 27 minutes

Mikie (Arcade)... 17 minutes

Pooyan (Arcade)... 10 minutes

Turtles (Arcade)... 4 minutes

Donkey Kong Jr. (Arcade)... 4 minutes

The modern games (not eligible for the Top 10):

Burger Restaurant 2 (online game)... 164 minutes

Need for madness (online game)... 35 minutes

Flash Centipede, Boinggg!, Beer Tapper (all online games)... 1 minute each

Flash Q*Bert (online game)... 3 minutes

I'm now through with the TI-99 version of Centipede. The goal was to reach 140,000 points and make a game lasting 17 minutes or more. I finally made that goal with the help of some tricks:

- I found that a good strategy is to leave some columns free of mushrooms in the middle so that you can hit the scorpion when it gets there. Since the scorpion never gets very fast in the TI-99 version, there's a good chance of hitting it even in higher levels if your shots don't get obstructed by mushrooms. To achieve that, you should shoot the flea if it falls down near the middle of the screen, but let it fall if it's on the far left or right side.

- One part of my strategy is to place a mushroom about in the middle of the second row from the ground (the lowest row where mushrooms are allowed to form) and leave the third row above the ground free from mushrooms. In the TI-99 version, the body segments in one row always travel in one direction. In the bottom row, they travel to the left, and in the row above it to the right. Thus all parts coming from the left will reverse at this mushroom and never cross your sight that low. This also causes that on their way down, they will never reach the right edge of the screen so you can safely stay in the bottom row and never will be endangered by body parts. You can then concentrate on the body parts running by in the upper rows, and mainly on hitting the spiders and scorpions. That is, until the spider eats the mushroom in the second row from the bottom, and all the body parts leave their cage on the left...

On "Burger Time" on the Intellivision, I made that 17 minute goal (not the score goal as you rack up points more slowly in Burger Time than in Centipede) on only the second attempt. What occured to me here is how Peter Pepper isn't able to stop at all positions, but often continues to walk for about 4 pixels at a time before stopping.

The arcade version of "Millipede" actually seems to play more like the TI-99 version of "Centipede" than the arcade version of "Centipede" itself does. However, all the tricks described above for the TI-99 version don't work here because the mushroom field constantly scrolls up and down, and also the body parts can basically move in both directions in each row.

In "Mikie", I seem to recall there was a feature where you can knock your enemies out for some seconds and a huge bonus, but you have to have pretty exact timing for that. I couldn't reproduce that feature this time around, however.

"Pooyan" was the usual fun, and it basically was only one game that lasted 10 minutes. Also, I managed to play "Turtles" a bit longer this time. At "Donkey Kong Jr.", I got frustrated pretty fast.

As for the modern games, "Burger Restaurant 2" is a sequel to "Burger Restaurant" which I completed a while ago. I completed this now too since it basically requires the same strategy as the first part... there are always some customers coming in with orders of different size, and you seem to be most successful if you fulfill the small orders first and let some customers with big orders leave without serving them. You don't get punished for this either, you only get points for all the people you serve.

Flash Centipede, Beer Tapper and Flash Q*Bert all leave something to be desired... their respective arcade originals weren't ported very carefully. In Flash Centipede, strange red cubes keep falling down quickly (whatever they do there), in Beer Tapper you can't run along the bars in order to catch the returned glasses early, and in Flash Q*Bert you only play against Coily and the red balls, but there's no Slick and Sam, no Wrongway and no green ball. Also, there seems to be no logic where you would have to color each cube twice instead of once. Instead, there are masses of red balls appearing in later levels.

"Need for madness" is a 3D racing game with power features... you have to do stunts in order to regain power. However, the game is a bit random since enemy cars crashing into you can cause much damage and also render your car out of control which makes it prone to more crashing, bringing the damage to 100% and ending the game quickly. Thus it gets a bit frustrating after a while.

• Like 2

Wowwee, an entire thread dedicated to what we have played in the past week.... I cant believe I haven't noticed this yet.....

Viewtiful Joe - 30 min

Postal 2 - 60 min

Jungle hunt - 20 min

Contra - 45 min (one awesome co - op session with my little brother)

And that is about it for the past week. Wow, I cant believe I played that little....

• Like 1

Wowwee, an entire thread dedicated to what we have played in the past week.... I cant believe I haven't noticed this yet.....

Viewtiful Joe - 30 min

Postal 2 - 60 min

Jungle hunt - 20 min

Contra - 45 min (one awesome co - op session with my little brother)

And that is about it for the past week. Wow, I cant believe I played that little....

I need you to tell me which system you played each game on also.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Intellivision:

Burgertime - 24 minutes

I beat my prior high score for the HSC. I'm now up to 80,850 even though I got off to a terrible start. I think I could really rack up a high score if I could get past level 7 in decent shape.

Microvision:

Bowling - 4 minutes

I'd like to bowl a perfect game before moving on to another cart but I'm beginning to think that's not going to happen.

• Like 1

FINALLY some VCS time!

Q*Bert's Qubes: 1 hour

Mr. Do!'s Castle: 30 mins.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: 30 mins. (I had forgotten so much, this time is embarassing... :dunce: )

Donkey Kong: 45 mins.

Donkey Kong Jr.: 15 mins.

Will get some more NES time in later tonight as I am about to pull an all-niter at work.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week, which has been a pretty strong gaming week for me:

The classic games (eligible for the Top 10):

Centipede (TI-99)... 437 minutes in 2 sessions

Millipede (Arcade)... 210 minutes in 2 sessions

Centipede (Arcade)... 80 minutes

Burger Time (Intellivision)... 32 minutes

Super Qix (Arcade)... 27 minutes

Mikie (Arcade)... 17 minutes

Pooyan (Arcade)... 10 minutes

Turtles (Arcade)... 4 minutes

Donkey Kong Jr. (Arcade)... 4 minutes

:thumbsup:

I gave you a +1 for playing Arcade titles...

• Like 1