IGNORED

Quantizator

ilmenit

I wonder about the count of evaluations there. I have some pictures at 400Million and some parts still don't get changed.

I don't have time to add promised features to RastaConverter yet, but meanwhile here are some nice pictures (Altirra PAL palette)

post-22831-0-80547900-1336492435_thumb.pngbeautiful-day.xex

post-22831-0-92604000-1336492445_thumb.pngbliss.xex

post-22831-0-43793300-1336492454_thumb.pngtruck.xex

post-22831-0-16599100-1336492465_thumb.pngLonely.xex

post-22831-0-29510700-1336492472_thumb.pngparrot.xex

post-22831-0-09376200-1336492484_thumb.pngspring.xex

post-22831-0-38562400-1336492491_thumb.pngautumn.xex

post-22831-0-82764000-1336492880_thumb.pngafghan.xex (laoo palette)

I wonder about the count of evaluations there. I have some pictures at 400Million and some parts still don't get changed.

I don't have time to add promised features to RastaConverter yet, but meanwhile here are some nice pictures (Altirra PAL palette) ,,, [attachments]

At least this shows to me that the VIC2, even if it has some features clearly better than GTIA+ANTIC, it is way different when we compare it to GTIA+ANTIC+CPU. Then we might say they have comparable quality. The VIC2 doesn't have an 'overall better' quality. By far. (And most of the best C64 pics also need VIC2+CPU.) I'm still surprised by the quality of most of these test-pics. Even compared to most G2F results.

I don't have time to add promised features to RastaConverter yet, but meanwhile here are some nice pictures (Altirra PAL palette) ,,, [attachments]

At least this shows to me that the VIC2, even if it has some features clearly better than GTIA+ANTIC, it is way different when we compare it to GTIA+ANTIC+CPU. Then we might say they have comparable quality. The VIC2 doesn't have an 'overall better' quality. By far. (And most of the best C64 pics also need VIC2+CPU.) I'm still surprised by the quality of most of these test-pics. Even compared to most G2F results.

Things will get even more interesing. It has it's causes why the results of Rastaconverter cannot be loaded into G2F. G2F sets limits where they weren't needed. But now there is a point to handle in G2F and as it seems Tebe is working on it....

You could create pictures directly, not do just conversions. Spring and Autumn show the huge ability of having real light FX in a picture.

The Ambience in "Lonely"

the approaching danger in "Truck"..

the easyness in "Beautiful-Day"

And so on.

All supported by the available colours.

After ivop's report with G++ I decided to try a profile-guided optimization build, and to my surprise, it's significantly faster -- at least another 50% faster on my Core i7, around 3.5-4.5K evals/sec. Pogo build is attached. I also went ahead and integrated another one of the gcc build fixes and stripped out all the 'auto' crap I put in when I was hacking on it so it could be built with VS2005/2008. That's probably it from me for optimizations for now... it's up to someone else to get us the next order of magnitude. :-D

Trying to increase quality is the next thing, I think... emphasis masks might be the way to go for a start, and with the error map I put into my build it would essentially be free. Post-quantization dithering is much harder to do but might solve some of the blotchiness that results with the existing dither option.

Rasta-opthack5.zip

... it could be built with VS2005/2008. That's probably it from me for optimizations for now...

that results with the existing dither option.

Good work!

I tried to compile that and need a little help: Include is only "include", Lib is only "lib" and two libraries are refrenced: alleg.lib;freeimage.lib

BTW: That is different from RastaConverter (alleg42.dll, freeimage.dll)

freeimage OK. Got it from http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/ and put the dll and lib into a lib folder. the .h in the include folder

But allegro is not that easy: After I tried some binaries, i downloaded source packages an tried to compile them but they all had other problems. And the docs were allways not correct. Building with cmake doesn´t work either. Even cmake-gui always produced defect project files.

As far as I see compiling will go in the direction of copying files into default VS folder :-o. That explaines why there are no includes-paths for allegro in the vcxproj-file.

So none of the four possible ways worked for me here and I need a little help.

I would appreciate any hint on how to get the source compiled with VS C++ ...

Edited by 1NG

And probably they won't change. You can't have guarantee that those changes will ever happen, because the optimization stucked in a local maximum. What you can do is to start the process with bigger number of solutions (/s parameter) f.e. 1000 or 10000.

Then the algorithm will be less vulnerable to local maximum problem, but - as it is written in the manual - it is usually better to run a few instances of RastaConverter on the same picture and after some time choose the best one.

The final result depends a lot on the initial (random) state.

Just discovered that those latest pictures even better on a CRT monitor. :)

Everything is better on a CRT monitor :)

Yesterday I read that someone has another opinion...

I don't know if everything is better but surely the experience is different... and I like it!

Doom pic looks great - can someone do the Guantlet title screen? Curious how that would come out.

That one with the female and male warriors? That should come out very well. There's a lot of dithering and not so many colors per line... I don't have the spare processes right now - have BOINC running, but I'm sure it would render very nicely....

Great work, everyone ... that Autumn picture is stunning. :)

Sigh...I'll do a quick render a bit later. Had placed something up, but the quality of my source pic wasn't really up to snuff.

Edited by AtariNerd