IGNORED

Capcom's Whining: A Response

vdub_bobby

One persons view on Wii gaming is within THIS ARTICLE. While it doesn't explain any sales tendencies for the Wii, it does pretty well sum up quite a few feelings I have in regards to the Wii.

And here is a list, provided by NPD, of the top selling games of 2009:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision), Xbox 360

2. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo), Wii

3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo), Wii

4. Wii Fit (Nintendo), Wii

5. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo), Wii

6. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo), Wii

7. Wii Play (Nintendo), Wii

8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision), PlayStation 3

9. Halo 3: ODST (Bungie, Microsoft), Xbox 360

10. Pokemon Platinum Version (Nintendo), NDS

Seven of the top ten places belong to Nintendo. Just my opinion, but Nintendo doesn't really need 3rd party titles as they are truly profitable, successful, and without a doubt, the marketing guru's (passes Capcom a Kleenex).

Mendon

I am not sure that chart is at all accurate. Look and this link for Dec alone.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6542

Not to mention Dec 2009 Wii set an all time sales record for any console!

I would agree with you Capcom is missing the boat. Maybe they need better titles.

What are you suggesting isn't accurate with that list of 2009 top selling games??

No doubt about it. Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party support. They've proven it in the past and luckily this generation they catered to a lot of folks who didn't even know what 3rd party ment!! :cool:

What are you suggesting isn't accurate with that list of 2009 top selling games??

No doubt about it. Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party support. They've proven it in the past and luckily this generation they catered to a lot of folks who didn't even know what 3rd party ment!! :cool:

Actually I was disputing call of duty being the best seller. I aggree Nintendo does not need 3rd party, though companies that bring out crappy titles for the largest selling consoles really have no room to complain.

Actually I was disputing call of duty being the best seller.

But you neglected to state what you thought was the best seller and I couldn't see anything in err based on that link. (Except that they include a pack in game as a retail game sale)

Kind of ironic. Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party software (most people agree on that) but the hottest, funnest game of 2009 was from a 3rd party. Go figure.

Actually I was disputing call of duty being the best seller.

But you neglected to state what you thought was the best seller and I couldn't see anything in err based on that link. (Except that they include a pack in game as a retail game sale)

Kind of ironic. Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party software (most people agree on that) but the hottest, funnest game of 2009 was from a 3rd party. Go figure.

Wii sports and super mario are 1st party. not sure what you speak of, COD2 is in error according to vgz

Wii sports and super mario are 1st party. not sure what you speak of,

No one said Wii Sports and Super Mario weren't 1st party.

Wii Sports was a pack in game not available for purchase (except in Japan) that's why it isn't included in the NPD sales and Super Mario didn't sell more copies than COD:MW2 in 2009.

I'm not speaking of anything confusing, I'm reading a link you provided, and I asked what you were refering to when you stated the NPD results weren't accurate, that's all.

but the hottest, funnest game of 2009 was from a 3rd party. Go figure.

Yeah Batman:AA was pretty awesome wasn't it. Unless you meant another game. Certainly you didn't mean Call of Doodie: Modern Bore Fare: Part Poo (yes, that was the most childishly annoying name I could have used and I am now 8 years old, deal with it). I guess the bullet point of my argument is that the funnest game of 2009 was certainly not the best selling. It was, however, third party. How anyone finds glitch heavy multiplayer brown gun shooting in generic environments to be the funnest thing in a medium where you can, somewhere I am sure, pierce the heart of Satan with a rainbow trailing unicorn ridden by Superman is truely and forever beyond me.

Edited by Atarifever

I guess the bullet point of my argument is that the funnest game of 2009 was certainly not the best selling.

I'd go back and edit my post just for you, but then I remembered...it aint all about you. ;)

You're right though. Batman was another kick ass 3rd party game Nintendo doesn't need. :thumbsup:

I just can't let this go, I guess...

More numbers:

Capcom's 2009 releases

360 games:

Street Fighter IV, 93% metascore, 1.39M sold

Resident Evil 5, 85%, 2.55M

Bionic Commando, 70%, 0.21M

PS3 games:

Street Fighter IV, 94%, 1.61M

Resident Evil 5, 86%, 2.73M

Bionic Commando, 71%, 0.16M

Wii game:

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, 75%, 0.31M

Spyborgs, 65%, 0.05M

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop, 61%, 0.20M

Why is everyone obsessed with metascores? People on this very forum have complained that Wii titles get low ratings on many sites just because they are last gen graphics, and use a non-traditional control scheme . You know the Wii scores are going to be skewed for this very reason. I mean have you seen those meta reviews? They go from 91 to 30!! LOL

Games like Madworld and The Conduit are top class, grade A, USDA choice games and everyone here knows it. We don't need a collection of scores compiled from various internet sources averaged out to tell us this. Regardless...if they are 3rd party, they just sell like ass on the Wii. Seems like it doesn't matter if they wind up with an 85 or a 58 on metacritic.

I'm not sure what those sales figures are supposed to illustrate. To me they seem to show that recognizable hardcore franchise properties don't sell worth a damn on the Wii, and people would much rather buy a version of the game for a next gen console. That's what those Resident Evil sales seem to be saying.

It doesn't strike me that the example games are good test cases. They're definitely apples and oranges.

I'd suggest comparing Bayonetta against the upcoming No More Heroes 2. Bayonetta is a hugely hyped well reviewed new franchise. No More Heroes is an established franchise well respected by the hardcore and will likely get huge review scores as well.

Using Street Fighter IV as a comparison for a Wii game is not entirely useful. I say compare the upcoming Tatsunoko Vs Capcom against one of the second tier fighting games on the 360/PS3 like KoF12 or BlazBlue. That should be a more level playing field.

Someone could also try to hunt down sales data for the extremely niche title Onechanbara. I couldn't find Wii sales for the game, but I came away with the impression that even though the Wii version scored higher in reviews and it wasn't a HD-extravaganza type of game that the 360 version sold much better.

Responses...

Why is everyone obsessed with metascores?

I agree that review scores are flawed but I think the aggregates are less flawed than individual reviews and I don't think they are that far off.

Seems like it doesn't matter if they wind up with an 85 or a 58 on metacritic.

This is demonstrably false.

Here are most of 2009's generic action games with movie licenses for the Wii:

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. 52%, sold 120K copies.

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. 58%, sold 280K copies.

Ghostbusters. 77%, sold 340K copies.

It makes a difference. There are other factors, and everything is never equal, but it definitely makes a difference.

I'm not sure what those sales figures are supposed to illustrate.

I think they show that, taken as a whole, Capcom has released crappy Wii games this year and their sales reflect that. Mostly I'm just throwing them out there because I thought they were interesting.

I also think it's interesting that the PS3 versions of SFIV and RE5 sold more than the Xbox360 versions, despite the Xbox360 having a 17% higher install base.

Someone could also try to hunt down sales data for the extremely niche title Onechanbara.

According to vgchartz, both versions sold about the same:

360 sold 80K copies

Wii sold 70K copies

Edited by vdub_bobby

It makes a difference. There are other factors, and everything is never equal, but it definitely makes a difference.

Doesn't seem like a HUGE difference. A Wii game that gets higher metascores sells 100k to 200k more copies on a system that has 60 MILLION consoles. Over twice as many units as it competitors in consumers living rooms!!?? ( Fun Fact : It would take you 1,380 days to count to 60 million if you counted non-stop 24 hours a day) You really think that 100k is a substantial difference? I guess I don't.

I don't know what to say. You're right. You win. It does make a difference. (Just not a very big one) :D

I still say even using your examples. Having that many consoles in consumers living rooms doesn't mean a whole lot if that console is a Wii. Not these days anyway.

then I will admit that Wii owners are a bunch of non-gamers who only buy Nintendo games and shovelware crap. :ponder:

Oh I wasn't meaning to imply all Wii owners are non-gamers.....just a lot of them. Game producers are going to go where their games sell the best.

Which would be on the biggest selling system with the biggest market share. The Wii. They have themselves to blame. :roll:

All of which sold better on the 360 (Except Indiana Jones cuz it wasn't on the 360) in spite of having half the user base. Thanks for illustrating my point yet again. :cool:

Which would be on the biggest selling system with the biggest market share.

If the majority of those consumers cared enough about video games to buy them regularly, I'd have to admit you were right.

They have themselves to blame.

Why?

It's not their fault millions and millions and millions of Wii owners barely support the system.

It's not their fault the Wii has last gen power and a funky controller.

You blame them, and I blame you atarian63, quit taking pot-shots ( :roll: ) and go out and buy some Wii games. ;)

All of which sold better on the 360 (Except Indiana Jones cuz it wasn't on the 360) in spite of having half the user base. Thanks for illustrating my point yet again. :cool:

Ghostbusters and Avatar both reviewed better on the 360 than the Wii - proving my point dammit! :lol: - and I wouldn't really hang any kind of argument on these numbers:

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Wii: 130K

360: 140K

PS3: 130K

:P

I still stand by this:

The Wii to 360 advantage isn't as great as the sold-console numbers make it appear, you're right: it isn't 2:1 by any means. But there are at least as many Wii owners as 360 owners who will buy a good game. I think New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Guitar Hero III, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Guitar Hero: World Tour, LEGO Star Wars prove that.

Ghostbusters and Avatar both reviewed better on the 360 than the Wii - proving my point dammit! :lol: -

On metacritic Ghostbusters scored exactly 3 points higher on the 360 than the Wii and Avatar ....1 point.

I'm talking millions and millions on top of millions of consumers have Wii's in their living rooms, and you're arguing over 1 teeny, tiny, point. I concede, Wii owners all love video games but don't buy them because they all suck ass. :cool:

Just messing with you.

Wii owners will buy a game if it has Mario in the title. How's that? :D

I do know I'm doing my part. Just Dance came in the mail today!! (Don't laugh)

Ghostbusters and Avatar both reviewed better on the 360 than the Wii - proving my point dammit! :lol: -

On metacritic Ghostbusters scored exactly 3 points higher on the 360 than the Wii and Avatar ....1 point.

I was looking at gamerankings.com, where Avatar is 6 points higher and the difference for Ghostbusters is 4 points. But point taken. The sales differences aren't real great either, though.

Wii owners will buy a game if it has Mario in the title.

You may have a point...the best-selling 3rd party Wii game is - wait for it - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, published by Sega. :rolling:

(Don't laugh)

And I ain't laughin', to each his own. :cool:

Edited by vdub_bobby

Which would be on the biggest selling system with the biggest market share.

If the majority of those consumers cared enough about video games to buy them regularly, I'd have to admit you were right.

They have themselves to blame.

Why?

It's not their fault millions and millions and millions of Wii owners barely support the system.

It's not their fault the Wii has last gen power and a funky controller.

You blame them, and I blame you atarian63, quit taking pot-shots ( :roll: ) and go out and buy some Wii games. ;)

No can do Moycon, ;) it's the largest selling system and would be even bigger if 3rd party got off their ass and supported it. The controller is what makes it great! Not for all games for sure, so tailor the game to the wii instead of making dumb down ports. Wii is an example why you dont need the lastest tech to be number 1,just make the games fun!

Love you too by the way! :D

No can do Moycon.

You and 50 million other Wii owners.

Moycon isn't capitalized BTW. Odd someone who loves me so much would make such an obvious error.

No can do Moycon.

You and 50 million other Wii owners.

Moycon isn't capitalized BTW. Odd someone who loves me so much would make such an obvious error.

My bad! Here you go "moycon" . All better now ;)

Actually I am digging my ps3 these days as well.

I'm not sure how accurate, but according to THIS ARTICLE, the Wii has overtaken the Xbox360 in LTD (life-to-date) software sales. Plus, this was done even though the Xbox360 was released a year earlier.

And if you notice the pie-chart, software sales for the Wii during the Oct - Dec. timeframe were more than double that of the Xbox360, which I find interesting if you consider the Xbox360 titles... Assassin's Creed 2, Borderlands, Dragon Age, and Left 4 Dead 2...... that were released during this time frame vs. the Wii titles released.

Of course, no mention is made of 1st party vs. 3rd party so take the article with whatever relevance you wish. And how accurate all the figures might be could be in question.

I thought the comments being posted by other readers are as interesting to read as the article itself.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon