IGNORED

Capcom's Whining: A Response

vdub_bobby

Someone could also try to hunt down sales data for the extremely niche title Onechanbara.
According to vgchartz, both versions sold about the same:

360 sold 80K copies

Wii sold 70K copies

Which is more embarrassing? That I own both versions, or that I've only cleared it mostly on the 360. I will say that the interface for the Wii is super clunky. The 360 isn't great, but it's like they just neglected the user interface for no good reason on the Wii. I'll have to dust it off again just to make sure I'm not forgetting something important.

Hex.

[ Really found the 'cool combo' challenges to be an insane pain in the butt... I just can't do them... Okay. I did one of 10. The last one requires you to be perfect for either 17 or 28 hits in a row... in. a. row. :P ]

My bad! Here you go "moycon" . All better now ;)

Yes of course and you know it's always a pleasure reading your wise, well thought out input when a discussion is taking place. :thumbsup:

Why same here moycon. Your unbiased opinions are always a joy to read. Very nice indeed :thumbsup:

Get a room guys.

Why same here moycon. Your unbiased opinions are always a joy to read. Very nice indeed :thumbsup:

Sweet, so can you take me off PM block so our garbage, man-boy bickering doesn't have to be in people threads? I know in PM you don't have an audience for your snappy dialog, but it really its a shit thing to do guy. Thanks pal.

I'm not sure how accurate, but according to THIS ARTICLE, the Wii has overtaken the Xbox360 in LTD (life-to-date) software sales.

It would be extremely helpful to see to see the actual data they used to arrive at their conclusions.

Still I don't doubt those numbers. The Wii has twice the potential to sell software, they absolutely should be selling more software! One things for sure, 3rd party games weren't much of a contributing factor I'll bet. :) (Although I do seem to recall Beatles Rock Band selling 1 million+ on the Wii) Still, really would like to see figures. It's easier to swallow something when you can see for yourself where the results are coming from.

Sweet, so can you take me off PM block so our garbage, man-boy bickering doesn't have to be in people threads? I know in PM you don't have an audience for your snappy dialog, but it really its a shit thing to do guy. Thanks pal.

I'm not sure how accurate, but according to THIS ARTICLE, the Wii has overtaken the Xbox360 in LTD (life-to-date) software sales.

It would be extremely helpful to see to see the actual data they used to arrive at their conclusions.

Still I don't doubt those numbers. The Wii has twice the potential to sell software, they absolutely should be selling more software! One things for sure, 3rd party games weren't much of a contributing factor I'll bet. :) (Although I do seem to recall Beatles Rock Band selling 1 million+ on the Wii) Still, really would like to see figures. It's easier to swallow something when you can see for yourself where the results are coming from.

Actually I prefer it here so others can share in your wit and wisdom :roll: Wouldn't want to deny people all the fun you tried to share with me.

Anytime buddy! :D

Sometimes Wii software sales are a surprise,like what you pointed out with Beatles Rock Band. Considering it being a poor choice as a rock band (most stuff is more folk) I am quite surprised.

Actually I prefer it here so others can share in your wit and wisdom

Yeah I know, if I remember correctly that's why you blocked me, you got it in your head people here on AA like to read our drivel. I tried to explain they don't, you blocked me. LOL I think it's obvious why you keep on keepin on. Let me guess you'll call me a troll next? Be a man and give your fellow AA members a break. Take the block off. :cool:

Also your attempt to save face and act like you care to actually discuss the topic is off if you ask me. You mistakenly thought I was saying Beatles Rock Band sold GREAT! However, if you ask me what should be a surprise it that Beatles Rock Band didn't sell better. (That includes all the systems but especially the Wii)

These 3rd party companies keep trying to target and reel in non-traditional gamers, but it's proof once again those people just don't bite hard.

Maybe if Nintendo releases a Mario Sing Along?? Even their shit Wii Music ( few 3rd party games suck as bad) sold almost 3 million copies. :P

Maybe if Nintendo releases a Mario Sing Along?? Even their shit Wii Music ( few 3rd party games suck as bad) sold almost 3 million copies. :P

Not to become the meat in this obvious manwich you guys are setting up for yourselves, but you are having your point both ways there again. "These people don't bite hard," and "even the shit Wii music sold 3 million copies." So again, what is it? Here is the Frankenstiens strawman you have described for your argument:

They buy shit because they are dumb and will buy anything. They are dumb because they don't buy more stuff, despite most of what is offered to them being shit. They buy lots of copies of rock band, but not nearly enough, even though less than one in three of them buys games meaning the ones who do buy games must love rhtym games more than any other group of gamers, buying it at a rate if 100% each. This love of rhythm games is so strong they buy 3 million copies of even crap Wii Music in droves, but they still somehow are not a good market to sell to for third parties making music games. If they were smart they'd buy more shit games, but they are dumb so they buy lots of shit games, except that they don't buy any games, except Rock Band, which they bought a lot of, but not enough, and they didn't buy enough because they don't buy games, even rhythm games. Except Wii Music, which sold 3 million copies because it was shit. But the only difference between a good game and a crap one is sales (your own reasoning), so Wii Music is great, despite being shit.

No one could argue against that because it has more contradictions than the Bible.

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 2

Not to become the meat in this obvious manwich you guys are setting up for yourselves, but you are having your point both ways there again. "These people don't bite hard," and "even the shit Wii music sold 3 million copies." So again, what is it?

No one could argue against that because it has more contradictions than the Bible.

Dunno what to tell you. Re-read the thread.

This topic is about 3rd party game producers and I never stated anyone most of all Wii owners were dumb. I'm not contradicting and I'm not letting you put words in my mouth. The answers to your confusion are archived for you. The basic thing I'm saying (and have been saying) is these millions and millions of non-traditional gamers (casual gamers or whatever you want to call them) don't really care much about video games but especially 3rd party video games regardless how much time and effort has been put into those games.

Here was my first post in this very thread in case (directed towards the topic of 3rd party games)

You either develop a kick ass game for the Wii and the Wii only (Which more more than likely fail) or you move on.

Face it, the majority of Wii owners could give a crap less about decent games.

Maybe thank Wii Sports and Wii Fit for that?

(I personally know 2 households that bought a Wii for Wii Fit...you probably do to, x that by everyone here)

It's a lot.

That's the downside to getting non-gamers interested in game consoles.

Maybe the fact I used the term "decent games" confused you? I ment most any game really.

What games they do want, Nintendo supplies.

That explains why Nintendo has twice the consoles in the field but not twice the sale. That's it guy. It seems so simple.

I didn't say they were dumb or smart for whatever games they do buy.

You keep trying to convince me that all of the Wii 3rd party games are shit and I give you examples to the contrary and you continue to come back and bust my chops is what is happening in this thread. The Frankenstein's monster you described is a figment of your imagination. I think we just have differing opinions as to why the 3rd party sales are so low is all. No biggie really. Could be a combination of things.

You can't really compare most of the 1st-party titles to 3rd-party titles on the Wii, they are so vastly different in terms of quality.

Take Super Mario Galaxy, for example - big franchise, big budget, top quality, traditional genre (3D platformer) with wide appeal. Sells 8.5 million copies.

What 3rd party has released anything remotely like that for the Wii? So de Blob didn't sell real well (770K sold); you can't compare it to SMG, you should compare it to something like Wario Land: Shake It! - which is also a small franchise and also isn't top quality - and it sold 820K copies. If you were expecting de Blob to sell more than that you're on crack.

When a 3rd party makes a game as good as Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, or Metroid Prime 3 and it doesn't sell well, then I'll believe that Wii owners don't buy games. But right now I just don't see it.

Actually I prefer it here so others can share in your wit and wisdom

Yeah I know, if I remember correctly that's why you blocked me, you got it in your head people here on AA like to read our drivel. I tried to explain they don't, you blocked me. LOL I think it's obvious why you keep on keepin on. Let me guess you'll call me a troll next? Be a man and give your fellow AA members a break. Take the block off. :cool:

Also your attempt to save face and act like you care to actually discuss the topic is off if you ask me. You mistakenly thought I was saying Beatles Rock Band sold GREAT! However, if you ask me what should be a surprise it that Beatles Rock Band didn't sell better. (That includes all the systems but especially the Wii)

These 3rd party companies keep trying to target and reel in non-traditional gamers, but it's proof once again those people just don't bite hard.

When I need man advise from boys, I'll let you know.

Actually nobody is asking you, however I was not trying to say that you thought the Beatles rock band was great,was just trying to say I am surprised that of all titles that sold well beatles did, considering the group really is not rock oriented.

3rd party just needs to make games people want to buy. They dumb down titles and read the market wrong it would appear.

Nintendo seems to get it right most of the time. BTW Wii music is great!

My thinking is make exclusives for the #1 machine and if it does well make a port or even an improved version on the lesser machines. That is the way things were done in past generations of consoles and even home pc's.

Not to become the meat in this obvious manwich you guys are setting up for yourselves, but you are having your point both ways there again. "These people don't bite hard," and "even the shit Wii music sold 3 million copies." So again, what is it? Here is the Frankenstiens strawman you have described for your argument:

They buy shit because they are dumb and will buy anything. They are dumb because they don't buy more stuff, despite most of what is offered to them being shit. They buy lots of copies of rock band, but not nearly enough, even though less than one in three of them buys games meaning the ones who do buy games must love rhtym games more than any other group of gamers, buying it at a rate if 100% each. This love of rhythm games is so strong they buy 3 million copies of even crap Wii Music in droves, but they still somehow are not a good market to sell to for third parties making music games. If they were smart they'd buy more shit games, but they are dumb so they buy lots of shit games, except that they don't buy any games, except Rock Band, which they bought a lot of, but not enough, and they didn't buy enough because they don't buy games, even rhythm games. Except Wii Music, which sold 3 million copies because it was shit. But the only difference between a good game and a crap one is sales (your own reasoning), so Wii Music is great, despite being shit.

LMAO! So funny! :D :D

You can't really compare most of the 1st-party titles to 3rd-party titles on the Wii, they are so vastly different in terms of quality.

Nintendo definitely seems to have a handle on not just making decent video games on the Wii, but making games that control great with a non-traditional controller.

Maybe that's what the 3rd party game producers lack and aren't willing to take the time to learn better.

I still say the same audience that would buy a console for a game like Wii Fit , Wii Sports or Wii Music wouldn't give a second look at The Conduit or Madworld and I think there are millions who bought the Wii for that very reason...and only that reason.

I guess when I say many, many Wii owners don't care about video games is they don't care about the video games traditional gamers have enjoyed in the past. Maybe 3rd party producers trying to give them what they do want just can't seem to find the niche Nintendo carved so well, for whatever reason.

Maybe the fact I used the term "decent games" confused you? I ment most any game really.

What games they do want, Nintendo supplies.

That explains why Nintendo has twice the consoles in the field but not twice the sale. That's it guy. It seems so simple.

Well if this is indeed your entire argument, I disagree somewhat, but certainly don't see a huge logic hole in it. Perhaps when you said "They don't even buy dumb minigames anymore" I assumed you were implying they were so dumb it would be expected they would continue to buy dumb games. I hope you can understand my confusion. It's like if I said "Maddeen fans buy the same dumb Madden game every year and don't even buy dumb Basketball games too." It doesn't imply I particularly respect those people's tastes, and possibly their intellect.

I don't know that I did a whole lot of defending the idea third parties didn't make good games once you started to argue the point. I did point out Dangerous Creatures wasn't exactly Half Life 2. It seems you know more about Wii games than me, because you still have yours. For my part, I think there are more great third party downloads on the 360 than there are good third party games on the Wii in total (minus the virtual console).

Someone could also try to hunt down sales data for the extremely niche title Onechanbara.

According to vgchartz, both versions sold about the same:

360 sold 80K copies

Wii sold 70K copies

I don't know. The 360 version sold 14% better according to that. That's pretty considerable when you take into account that the Wii version allegedly had more potential customers.

If we estimate each Wii game as $30 and each 360 game as $40 (the MSRPs of the game), then the numbers look like this:

360 = $3,200,000

Wii = $2,100,000

That looks a bit more interesting, doesn't it?

Also take into account that the T&A genre is kinda sparse on the Wii while it's better represented on the 360. So, you have an underrepresented genre game with a decent review score that still sells double percentage digits less than a me-too game with a lower score on a less populous system.

What I see from this is that if I were to release "Babes & Blood", I would be I'll advised to do it on the Wii. While I might do about the same sales on the Wii, I can better reach my audience if I make it for the 360 (and maybe port it to the PS3 to double dip).

Alone, this doesn't say much. But if other similar games show the same trend, then Capcom's lack of desire to focus on the Wii supports what they're saying, that their development time and dollars can be better expended on consoles with an inbuilt audience more receptive to what they're making.

They have to play the numbers. Sure, they could hit it big on the Wii, but it's a better bet to go for the other two systems. That's where the people interested in their games are.

Once again, I'm insanely curious to see how Tatsunoko Vs Capcom does. I really don't see fighting game fans as owning a Wii. If they're not hardcore enough to own a shockbox, then I definitely see them owning a 60G PS3 because it plays just about every major fighting game of the past 15 years. I don't see the audience as being on the Wii.

However, I do think Capcom should whip up some low rez version of Street Fighter IV with classic controller support. The Wii IS strong on nostalgia sales, and Street Figher is oozing with nostalgia.

If we estimate each Wii game as $30 and each 360 game as $40 (the MSRPs of the game), then the numbers look like this:

360 = $3,200,000

Wii = $2,100,000

I'll say no for the same reason I said it to you when you did the same thing with PS3 sales in 2006. There is no individual price choice there. Wii owners who only have, or only want, the Wii version can't pay $40 for it, even if they would. 360 owners can't pay $30, so if they "kind of really" want the game, they have to take the extra $10 plunge, regardless if they would be much happier at $30. So a dollar to dollar comparison doesn't mean a whole lot.

Perhaps when you said "They don't even buy dumb minigames anymore" I assumed you were implying they were so dumb it would be expected they would continue to buy dumb games.

Nah, I probably posted that thought based on one game. Carnival Games (which was a 3rd party game) that wasn't terribly good at all I didn't think but the game sold millions (3 million+ if I recall). It was at best an Ok game. I do think the sale of that game sent the wrong message to the 3rd party game producers, but how could you blame them for their interpretation of the message ? That game sold really well. I bought it the first week it was out, and paid full price! It was one of my first purchases beyond the launch titles I had received with my Wii bundle and a lot of people followed me.

Anyways, whatever message it sent, I think it was the wrong one. All that game did was suggested to the 3rd parties that was what Wii owners wanted, and taught those non-traditional gamers not to stray from the Nintendo brand. :)

I don't know. The 360 version sold 14% better according to that. That's pretty considerable when you take into account that the Wii version allegedly had more potential customers.

360 = $3,200,000

Wii = $2,100,000

What if the breakeven was $1,000,000 for each version? Even if the XBox 360 version made more money, they both made money. :P

I think the point is valid that you would expect a console with such a large user base to sell more copies but it doesn't. I also agree that a portion of the Wii's user base is indeed casual gamers.

What I don't buy:

- "No one on the Wii likes hardcore games". If that were true, a million and a half Call of Duty Wii games wouldn't have been sold.

- "No one buys Wii games." If that were true, 400 million Wii games wouldn't have sold to 65 million users.

- "The majority of Wii owners are casual gamers". Without Nintendo's segmentation breakdown, we're all just putting our fingers in the air and guessing. There's ample evidence to suggest that there is credibility to their being a sizeable number of casual gamers. But there's also evidence that hardcores exist on the platform to.

- "Wii games all lose money". Simple economics. If they all lost money, no one would make games for it. There wouldn't be hundreds out now and hundreds coming out.

I do think there are lots of problems.

- Some developers aren't sure how to consistently make money on the platform with the right mix of genre/marketing/product

- Some developers don't know how to make good use of the controls

- Some developers are just plain lazy. :-)

- Some producers are risk adverse. Given that we're in a recession, it makes sense that they would be.

Also take into account that the T&A genre is kinda sparse on the Wii while it's better represented on the 360. So, you have an underrepresented genre game with a decent review score that still sells double percentage digits less than a me-too game with a lower score on a less populous system.

What I see from this is that if I were to release "Babes & Blood", I would be I'll advised to do it on the Wii. While I might do about the same sales on the Wii, I can better reach my audience if I make it for the 360 (and maybe port it to the PS3 to double dip).

Alone, this doesn't say much. But if other similar games show the same trend, then Capcom's lack of desire to focus on the Wii supports what they're saying, that their development time and dollars can be better expended on consoles with an inbuilt audience more receptive to what they're making.

They have to play the numbers. Sure, they could hit it big on the Wii, but it's a better bet to go for the other two systems. That's where the people interested in their games are.

Once again, I'm insanely curious to see how Tatsunoko Vs Capcom does. I really don't see fighting game fans as owning a Wii. If they're not hardcore enough to own a shockbox, then I definitely see them owning a 60G PS3 because it plays just about every major fighting game of the past 15 years. I don't see the audience as being on the Wii.

However, I do think Capcom should whip up some low rez version of Street Fighter IV with classic controller support. The Wii IS strong on nostalgia sales, and Street Figher is oozing with nostalgia.

i read not too long ago that theres literally a wii game released every day. compare that to the ps3, 360 or even pc which get maybe 3 games a week.

could the sheer amount of games be watering down individual sales to absolute insignificance? if theres 5 games you want but you can only afford 1, 4 others are going to suffer.

as a ps3 owner its pretty easy to nail the titles i want each month. as a wii owner its alot harder when theres a few im "kinda" interested in.

don't forget that alot of us are in the minority, we're video game addicts. the average person only buys, or can afford maybe 1 game a month. they can't afford to spend $50 on a 4 hour experience. they're going to aim for games that offer maximum replayability for themselves and their family.

i read not too long ago that theres literally a wii game released every day. compare that to the ps3, 360 or even pc which get maybe 3 games a week.

The Gamestop Coming Soon list includes dates.

Unless these games aren't being sold through Gamestop, I'd say that was a myth because there simply aren't Wii games listed as launching every day.

Check it out....

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?Ns=Sort_ETA|0&N=5+138

When the numbers are that low I don't think that it's accurate enough to be making those kind of comparisons. It isn't like the publishers are giving out specific sales numbers, these are all estimates. A 10K difference is essentially a tie AFAICT.

So, you have an underrepresented genre game with a decent review score

No. Just...no.

It got better scores on the Wii, true...but it was a crappy crappy game on both platforms. A crappy, niche, title is not going to sell well.

I'm curious as well, but I'm not holding my breath. Here are PS3 numbers for fighting games:

Street Fighter IV: 1.62M

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger: 0.28M

Virtua Fighter 5: 0.52M

Soulcalibur IV: 1.10M

Tekken 6: 1.31M

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm: 0.80M

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit: 0.76M

The King of Fighters XII: 0.09M

That's in descending gamerankings score, by the way.

For cross-platform titles, the 360 version sold fewer in every case, I believe, except Soul Calibur IV. It was pretty similar for all those.

My interpretation of this is that there just isn't a huge market for fighting games - the only million-sellers are the three biggest names. And, comparatively, VF5 bombed, who knows why - it got pretty good reviews.

I think if Capcom sells 400K copies (in ~1 yr) of Capcom vs. Tatsunoko then they should be joyful. It's an utterly unknown name in NA.

My interpretation of this is that there just isn't a huge market for fighting games - the only million-sellers are the three biggest names. And, comparatively, VF5 bombed, who knows why - it got pretty good reviews.

I wonder how many copies the first Soul Calibur sold ont he Dreamcast or Mortal Kombat on the Super Nintendo?

I always thought the fighting genre was a pretty popular one, (I've never been a HUGE fan) but I guess now that I think about it, it really hasn't been for awhile has it? The question is...was it ever a big genre and if so when did it start to tank?

Way off topic I know, although most fighters were/are 3rd party games. :)

BTW, While in NO WAY a GREAT game. I rather enjoyed Onechanbara on the 360 in a low budget, B-movie kind of way.

I wonder how many copies the first Soul Calibur sold ont he Dreamcast or Mortal Kombat on the Super Nintendo?

I don't know how accurate it really is, but vgchartz claims to have numbers for every Soul Calibur release:

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=soul%20calibur&console=&keyword=&publisher=&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

In descending order of sales:

PS2 Soul Calibur II (1.77M)

GC Soul Calibur II (1.51M)

X360 Soul Calibur IV

PS3 Soul Calibur IV

PS2 Soul Calibur III (0.96M)

DC Soul Calibur (0.34M)

PSP Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny

Wii Soul Calibur Legends (US sales = 0.13M)

Xbox Soul Calibur II (0.03M)

Wii Soul Calibur Legends (JP sales = 0.01M)

Looks like Soul Calibur II was by far the most successful, between the 3 platforms it topped 3 million in sales. Soul Calibur IV came kinda close, about 2.5M.

The difference between PS2/GC and the Xbox sales of SC II is too wide to be believable. At least I don't believe it. :ponder: The rest look reasonable.

Edited by vdub_bobby

I guess it's a little off-topic, but anyways, asides from the main three (Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Tekken), it seems the traditional fighting game genre (as most of us living in the '90s grew to know it), is a niche one these days. Then again, a single fighting game can have so much replay value that you don't really need a whole lot of them, heh.

The once-strong MK series seems to be waning these days.. Then again, that might be the result of the poor direction they are taking with the series.

I believe Virtua Fighter only sold well in the US when it was released on the PS2, and my guess is that was probably due to the fact that when it came out, the only other quality fighter available on the system was Tekken Tag (its competition being the sub-par Street Fighter EX3 and Bloody Roar 3). It's too bad--it's a great series--But it's not as button-masher friendly as the other options are, each of them also having a much longer track record of being popular in the US.

Edited by Austin

Take Super Mario Galaxy, for example - big franchise, big budget, top quality, traditional genre (3D platformer) with wide appeal. Sells 8.5 million copies.

What 3rd party has released anything remotely like that for the Wii? So de Blob didn't sell real well (770K sold); you can't compare it to SMG, you should compare it to something like Wario Land: Shake It! - which is also a small franchise and also isn't top quality - and it sold 820K copies. If you were expecting de Blob to sell more than that you're on crack.

When a 3rd party makes a game as good as Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, or Metroid Prime 3 and it doesn't sell well, then I'll believe that Wii owners don't buy games. But right now I just don't see it.

Wario Land Shake It is awesome in my books. I love that game!!

I think if Capcom sells 400K copies (in ~1 yr) of Capcom vs. Tatsunoko then they should be joyful. It's an utterly unknown name in NA.

Incidentally, this is yet another example of Capcom half-assing it for NA Wii owners - rather than putting out the money to get a known US license (like DC Comics, Marvel, etc.) and actually allocate some real money for development, they spent close to the minimum necessary to cash in: they just localize a JP license. :roll:

I'm not complaining: at least it was a good game to begin with, so we're getting, from all appearances, a high-quality game, and it seems that they've put a lot of effort into localization. But still...