IGNORED

Intellivision Purchases and Deals

Are you trying to stick with English/Multilingual CBS or going for French and German too?

I'm not really limiting myself, but I'm also not in a hurry to complete anything. I just watch for good deals and I'm happy with whatever I add.

I'm actually taking a brief hiatus to collect some Wii games.

• Like 1

I'm very excited! I just won an auction for my 1st Intellivision. And it's local so I can pick it up and not worry about shipping damage. :-D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mattel-Intellivision-Console-in-Original-Box-w-Intellivoice-Four-Games-Works-/162060384971?hash=item25bb8d3acb:g:QxIAAOSwRH5XKtKk

I finally picked up my Intellivision today. Spent a few minutes talking with the owner about it's history, which is always fun. His parents bought it for him in the early 80's from Polk Bros Furniture in the Chicago area. I was surprised to hear that they sold them at furniture stores. He only had four games and didn't play it a lot but had good memories of it. He found it in his parents basement a little while back and thought his 27 year old son might want it but he wasn't interested. He grew up on Nintendo and didn't care for the early consoles appearantly. He then put it on ebay when he realized people were still buying them and that's how I ended up with it. It's in excellent condition with no visible wear on the controllers. It only had a few light scratches and is very clean. I can tell it's been in the box for a very long time. So that's it's story. :)
I also learned to check the boxes carefully. He thought he was missing one of the overlays, but I found it hidden behind the plastic cartridge tray. :)
  • Like 4

Math Fun is in the mail (I paid it for 12 bucks), but it's not mine until it has been delivered...

I have 2 at home:

Backgammon (nice shape)

Football (avarage shape)

I used to think Backgammon was rare, but I now believe it's the 3rd most common, behind NFL and MLB. Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack and NBA Basketball are the rarest, in my opinion. Of course, Math Fun was the last one I obtained of the set, but I've seen more since then. I'll see what I have, but I should have an extra MLB for you and possibly an NFL upgrade if you're interested. Edited by JasonlikesINTV

I've never even seen a "for color TV only" in person. I don't think they ever made it up to Canada. Crazy find. Not sure I've even seen a full color manual.

Oh my! Remind me for PRGE and I'll bring you some colour manual ones.

I've never even seen a "for color TV only" in person. I don't think they ever made it up to Canada. Crazy find. Not sure I've even seen a full color manual.

Seems like the games distributed in Canada were manufactured in Hong Kong (unless someone drove over the border for their stock). The earliest games with full colour instructions were manufactured in the states. What I wonder is if Hong Kong manufacturing came much later than US or were they roughly the same but just didn't print instructions in full colour. If anyone bought a game in 1980/81 in Canada that came with full colour instructions please say so.

Did you hit Tradin Games?

i was wondering if he has kiosk set up there?

Yup, that's where I found the two Intellivision games. The kiosk is off-site at the secret bunker, but I might start sweet talking Jason into a tour ;-) I'd love to actually see that thing.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

Seems like the games distributed in Canada were manufactured in Hong Kong (unless someone drove over the border for their stock). The earliest games with full colour instructions were manufactured in the states. What I wonder is if Hong Kong manufacturing came much later than US or were they roughly the same but just didn't print instructions in full colour. If anyone bought a game in 1980/81 in Canada that came with full colour instructions please say so.

My very poorly educated understanding is that the "for color TV only"/color manual releases were the very first ones, from 1979. And by the time the system got the wide release, ie: released internationally, production had shifted entirely offshore. I suspect that some of the early stuff may have turned up in Toronto, or possibly even Vancouver (like you say, people sometimes border-hopped to be the first store to have it) but the vast majority of Canadian stock would only have shown up long after the switch to Hong Kong.

I haven't personally handled 25,000 Intellivision games to get a representative sample, but I may be close :lol: Just seems like I've never ever seen them here - and I regularly prowl most of Western Canada looking.

I notice that people seem willing to pay $20 for an otherwise very common game like NFL. So I've always assumed that those are only from the very first production run in 79.

1979 was the test market with only four games. Late 1980 was the wide release with about a dozen games. I think Canada got it in 1980 too, Europe and Japan was not until 1982. Hong Kong manufacturing was also for the US market. US manufacruring continued, my Star Strike was made in USA (the only one in my collection), not sure what store I got it. I remembered at the time I favored the English only games. I didnt like the way smaller text on the bingual boxes looked on the shelf, but thats what the big department stores had. I dont remember games with the bilingual sleeve at all.

1979 was the test market with only four games. Late 1980 was the wide release with about a dozen games. I think Canada got it in 1980 too, Europe and Japan was not until 1982. Hong Kong manufacturing was also for the US market. US manufacruring continued, my Star Strike was made in USA (the only one in my collection), not sure what store I got it. I remembered at the time I favored the English only games. I didnt like the way smaller text on the bingual boxes looked on the shelf, but thats what the big department stores had. I dont remember games with the bilingual sleeve at all.

Yah I believe I got mine for Christmas 1980, but I can't remember if I had colour manual versions or whether they were bilingual. I know they certainly weren't the sleeved versions.

Hi all first time poster long time collector...first intellivision buy..scored this for $40...plays flawlessly

https://imgur.com/a/EDnnm

Awesome! Congrats and welcome to the club. Now you just need to build up your 125. Lots of peeps on here with extras to sell at reasonable prices I'm sure.