IGNORED

RealDos is Shareware

Stephen J. Carden

I take it "Snapshot" is designed to dynamically swap memory regions in and out? I know nothing of the RealDOS memory map but I assume there's a lot more than just the com processor in the Shadow RAM. Command line utilities (including the bundled external commands) shouldn't be a problem at all since presumably once you're back in the com processor, all the code's back under the OS where it should be. Surely it's just the FMS and XIO calls which need clever handling from applications which want to live in the shadow RAM.

Re: help: personally I'm taking ten days to write a dozen lines of code at the moment for my own projects, and haven't even started something else I promised to do. I'll be glad to get back to work in order to get a bit of peace. :)

Snapshot write a file out to your disk drive. You can save up to 10 snaps. What I am thinking about right now is writting to disk memlow to the os. Turn off the os copy all that to disk. Grab all the vbi's and write them to disk. in Shot terms remove most of dos from memory. Now I will not clear the memory from the os so that a program that needs it will find it, when the program exits back to dos it will reload nessary memory and keep going. All the error code that are stored up under the OS will goaway. A dos error will just show an error number like "error 138" then if you do not know what that error is there will be an error.com. its function will be "error 138" it will look it up in the database and give you the info. Being an database it can be edited for the language you are use to. Right Now there will be two database one for English the other for German. The user can also add info to the database so now hardware with new error messages can have updates for them.

I hope to put the finishing touchs to Ed Bochmans Wedge to function with RealDos and SpartaDos 3.2? or 3.3? When I get it finished I will post it here along with the source in an atr.

Steve

I'll try to organize so I can devote some sort of help to this project, as I do want to see it succeed and from what I've played with it, I'm starting to feel that it's perhaps one of the most important Atari projects going on today.

Sighh, too many hobbies, too little time! :)

Afaik,

Turbo-Basic 400/800 and Frost Basic (which are actually the same) both do not use the RAM under the OS, but they both come as one file named "DOS.SYS". And this is a DOS 2.x DOS.SYS plus the Turbo-Basic appended to it (length approx. 180 sectors). So chances to use this version of Turbo-Basic with Real-DOS are zero...

BUT: Tom Hunt once created a pure/patched file version of this Turbo-Basic (without DOS 2.x DOS.SYS) and named it Turbo-Basic 3.2q. This is the file you should be searching for, because this file works with SpartaDOS and as long as it is not absolutely limited to SpartaDOS 3.2d, I guess it will also work with Real-DOS. However, if the TB32q program checks for SpartaDOS version 3.2d you can try to fool it, running a program first that sets a fake version number (and so let the TB program think it is running under Sparta 3.2d), e.g. FAKER.COM or SETVER.COM. But this will not always work...

Just try it out (I never did, since I don`t use any SpartaDOS versions)... -Andreas Koch.

I have Tom Hunts phone number I will give him a call and see what he can tell me about TB and SpartaDos. Thanks for the tip!

Steve

I'd like to put in a good word for this person and his product. I love this DOS. I actually paid the shareware fee, which I rarely do :)

Well worth it.

Dan Please contact me. I would love for another programmer to jump in and help. If you want to make an xcopy.com Please do so. I will send you the programming equates.

Steve

I'll try to organize so I can devote some sort of help to this project, as I do want to see it succeed and from what I've played with it, I'm starting to feel that it's perhaps one of the most important Atari projects going on today.

Sighh, too many hobbies, too little time! :)

I can tell you one thing! any help would be great. I don't think the Atari user understand I am doing this for them. RealDos does everything I want it to right now. This project is for you the classic Atari User. Michael who put out his program not long ago kind of lite a fire under me to finish or at least take it to the next step. Right now all my time is taken in writting code, then send it to Michael to tranlate it into German. So this is the first Dos that I am aware of that it for anyone in two languages. If someone know how to program in assembler and wants to translate it into another language then I am open to do that as well. Michael is doing the German work. Dan Winslow has said he will write an xcopy for the project. I need someone who will help with the English version of the documentation. If I end up writting the English Documentation that will take away from code that needs to be written. Michael wanted to use the Atari Age forum to keep the project ontrack. So once again there is hardware you can get out of this project by just helping see the earler message.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I could probably translate it into Geordie so it would make more sense to Tyneside users (sorry; that will be meaningless to many people in more senses than one!). icon_smile.gif

I'll up it to Welsh. icon_smile.gif

As for the copyright issues mentioned, I wouldn't worry about it. If Fte didn't sell on the rights then there's no problem as far as I'm concerned - got ripped off on a pre-order by Mike Hohman back around '94/'95. First and last time I've placed a pre-order on anything overseas. After the cock-up by GAME in the UK over my pre-ordered MW2 Xbox I can't see myself ever preordering anything in the UK again either.icon_rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

RealDos Update:

We are up past 90 Support files. I now have a copy of turbobasic so I am going to write a x.com that will free up os ram so you can run turbobasic. when finished and exit turbo basic x.com will reinstate os ram for realdos usage. IF you know of any other hardware out there please let me know about it and if I can get one. I want to make RealDos compatable with as much hardware as I can. So please e-mail me if you can think of an os or hardware I do not have listed.

Send pm to <sjcarden[*a-t*]bellsouth.com>

I just want to see what hardware we have to test

with. Please update this list so I know if I need

to purchase any hardware!

;============================================

; PBI Devices

Black Box

Black Box with Floppie Board

ICD MIO

KJ MIO

IDEa

Kpi Interface Rom Version

Kpi Interface Programmable Version

Supra Interface

Atr 8000

MSC-IDE Controller

; Serial IO Drives

Standard 1050

Happy 1050

Happy 1050 with Controler

Duplicator 1050

Super Archiver

Super Archiver with Bit Writter

Atari XF551 Stock 320k

Atari XF551 Modified 720k Woolley Upgrade

Atari XF551 Modified 720k Puff Upgrade

Indus GT

SIO2SD

SIO2IDE

Ape serial

USB Ape

Us Doubler

SIO2USB

; R: Devices

ICD PRC

Atari 850

Rverter

; Other Hardware

R-Time 8

OSS Mac\65 Cart

OSS Action Cart

OSS Basic xl Cart

OSS Basci xe Cart

ICD SpartaDos X

Express Cart

Diamond GOS

Tucker 1 meg Cart

Tucker 8 Meg Cart

Puff Programable Cart

Multiplexer

Epson Dot matrix Printer

EXP-80

Uprint Seiral to Centronix Print Buffer

Plotter

; Internal Upgrades

65xe Stock

800xl Ramdisk Rambo 256k

800xl Ramdisk 192k or larger

130xe Stock

320xe Ramdisk extended 320k

576kxe Ramdisk extended 576k

576kxe with Smart OS battery Backed up 576kxe

32 in 1 OS Mod

2 Pia's

2 Pokies's

Ntsc

Pal

transkey

AKI keyboard Interface

S-Video

; OS Upgrades

Standard Atari OS

Turboss

Turboss Plus

Omnimon

Omniview

fix XL OS

Ultra Speed Plus

Multiplexer OS

Ape Warp OS

Also here is a a list of files that are finished and being tested..

;==================================================================================

;

; This is where the support files are now with a brief description

;

;

;==================================================================================

Xcopy.com Another person is writting this file.

Cleanup.com NOT GOING TO REWRITE THESE At this time! I do not have the time to do this one the way I want to.

The ICD file will work with RealDos.

Diskrx.com NOT GOING TO REWRITE THESE At this time! I do not have the time to do this one the way I want to.

The ICD file will work with RealDos.

Off_load.com Need to add the re-locator. This is a file I want to do but It is low on the priority list

Menu.com Have not started this will be a text file driven menus

Error.com Working on this now. Got to finish these so we have a way to do out error messages.

Makemsgb.com This makes the blank database for error.com

Calc.com New program do simple math on the command line. It will

also translate hex address to decimal and decimal to Hex

conversion like the "?" command in mac/65.

Wedge.com finished. Ed Bochmans wedge with source.. Re-released in the manor Ed Requested!

Recall.com This one I want to be a surprise to you two it will knock

your socks off when you use this!

;I am sure I will think of a file or two more. I hope the Atari User like all the works that has gone into this.

;

;>>>>> these files are finished I added a breif description for Michael as he weeds the files for the abbuc Disk<<<<<<<<<

;

ape_hnd.com This is a true Memlow r handler for the Ape interface.

if you call the ape handler with rs232.com the handler comes into

memory in a fix location.

ramdisk.com My answer to a ramdisk handler. handles everything to 1 meg

true single or double density.

prc.com R: handler for the PRC

iomon.com little tool to watch active code anywhere in the computer

turboss.com High Speed screen Handler. up 400% Most of the tools I have

written include the high speed screen put routine.

dupdsk.com Copies floppy disks

editfile.com Quick and dirty text editor.

ncopy.com Large buffer multi-file copier

c_move.com Comfirm multi-file copier

f_move.com same as c-move but doesn't ask anything

c_copy.com Comfirm multi file copier

ssc.com Super Sector Copy. This will copy 4 to 65535 sectors. Works

with the ape interface. will also back up the Entire Black box

dosmenu.com Dosmenu somewhat like dos 2.5

rs232.com RS-232 R handler for the 850 interface

dump.com Dumps a file in hex and atascii to the screen

mdump.com Dumps Memory to the screen in Hex and Atascii

rverter.com R-Handler for the rverter

ape_ver.com this will return your ape version.

bat.com Bat.com is a com file used with the mux to determine which slave

is loading dos and then calling the startup.bat with startup.slx

where x is the slave number. should the slave load with a cart enabled

then it will load bat_cart.slx. the master would run Master.bat

bbmenu.com Jumps you into the Black box menu

s_time.com This is a mux utility to update time from the Mux Master. Muxtime.com

must be loaded on the master

show_mux.com Mux utility. For seeing what files have been loaded by bbs TcpIp Express

tdline2.com Updated time date handler. Works with the mux and ape interface. You can also

enter it a secong time to update your time from the ape or mux.

memory.com This is a program that will tell you how many banks of ram you have

and how to address them

happy.com This is just a tool to program your happy or Super Archiver and

duplicator 1050 drive

oss.com This will turn on or off an OSS super Cart. This is a Real Atari only file

keytest.com Programming tool to see the values of a raw keypress.

chat.com Mux tool to chat from one slave to another slave also works with TcpIp Express BBS.

sparta.com This swaps the Byte at $700 from 'R' to 'S' and back

uspramd9.com This will change youe Ultra Speed Plus od ram drive from drive 4 to 9

muxtime.com Multiplexer Tool for the Mux Master to slave our 0ne r-time to all 8 slaves

chtd.com Changes the time date stamp on file(s)

rendir.com Changes a Directory Name

chvol.com Changes the volume name on a Partition

rpm.com Check the speed of your 1050 drive

bb_fmt.com Black box formatting tool

tree.com Show the directory tree on a partition

tset.com Set the time on an r-time 8

resetmux.com Multiplexer tool the resets the mux error register

putrun.com Put a run address on a file

sortdir.com Sorts a directory asending or desending has other options

unerase.com Unerase a file you deleted provided you did not overwrite a sector

vdel.com Grabs a directory mask and prompts you yes or no to delete a file(s)

miocfg.com this is a mio utility to save or load a mio configuration if you do not

have a hard drive

bswap.com Swaps drives on both the MIO and Black Box bswap 1 8 would exchange your drive 8 with 1

load_mux.com Multiplexer tool Load the mux.cfg on the master from a slave

stat_mux.com Multiplexer only tool show the error count on a slave

mux.com Multiplexer only tool Give you a menu so you can change your Mux Master from a slave

mega.com Turns on and off the Tucker 1 and 8 mega carts

os_cap.com Captures your OS to a file that can be used with an e-prom burner. Has

BOB Burner and IBM type Burner support

ramcheck.com This is an Destructive Ram Test Program

mio_mnu.com This will bring up a MIO menu if your consol keys don't work so well

ram_cap.com This tool working with Ramdisk.com will capture all the banks of ram and write

them out to a file name.

ram_load.com This read the data file written out by ram_cap.com and reload the ramdisk to the state

at which you saved the ramdisk.

make_atr.com Ape tool. Makes and atr on the pc it can make Atr's from 4 to 65535 sector

single or double denisity, it also has a switch to format the ATR!

mount.com Ape tool. This can be used to mount and atr to a drive letter.

unmount.com Ape Tool. unmounts an atr

purge_6c.com Black box only Tool. Some drive format and put an $6c in every byte in every sector.

This tool can be run at anytime it will convert the sectors that are filled with

$6c to $00 any sector that has any other byte will be ignored. will do the entire

Black box partition table.

park.com This tool will park the mio or black box

whereis.com Finds a file(s) that you do not know where it is.

check_rt.com Check to see if your r-time 8 is working.

prokey.com This is a program that set's up key macros 10 I think.

to_ascii.com Converts an Atascii c/r to ascii c/r

hardware.com This will tell you what you have attached to to you computer.

file2pc.com Ape Tool. later version of Ape. This will copy a file from your Atari to

anywhere on your pc

strip.com This will remove the extra segments that xasm, mac/65 creates as well as other compiler.

This makes binary files load faster

os_menu.com Smart OS programming tool. I added this tool becaus people can send me the OS they are

using as a file that I can load into my Smart OS equiped Atari

hdfmtmio.com MIO only Tool. This is a low level formatting tool.

hdfmtdir.com This build directorys on any partition that is not a floppy drive. You could use it on

a floppy but you would waste extra space on the directory.

xinit.com Floppy Disk formatter.

master.com MUX Tool. This is the file that the Mux Master runs to serve files to the slaves.

megadisk.com This is a utility that turns compiled files into mac/65 source. Then the real works begins.

this is the tool that I used to take apart the ICD utilitys to fix and enhance. Just a

little bit of work huh?

arc.com The is an SEA compatable ARC program. Usage arc d9:>path>destination.arc dn:>path>mask

unarc.com This decompress ARC and ALF files. Usage unarc d9:>path>source.arc dn:>path><mask>

if a selective unarc.

delay.com I wrote this for Michael it is to be used in a batch file to pause up to 255 seconds.

usage delay 5 would delay for 5 seconds.

peek.com The only peek in the Atari Works that can look under the OS. Usage Peek [$0000-$ffff]

or Peek 0 65535 /u takes you under the OS into OS RAM

poke.com The only Poke that can go under the OS. usage Poke [parm1] [Parm2] /switch

you can mix hex with dec for the location

peek [$0000-$ffff] [($00-$ff) or (0-255) or ('any Atascii Key)] /u for under the OS

exp_on.com This is an Express Cart program it will turn the Express Cart on and OFF

snapshot.com This is a program Tom Hunt orginal wrote I added Mux support. It will create up to 10

snapshots that can be reload with just a keypress. One thing to take note of is make sure

this program is the first program you load in you batch file. Snapshot must reside in

the same location in memory. this is one reason I am thinking of adding it as a dos vector.

I am not finished with this program. If I keep it as an external file I will need to add

a reloactor to it. You should change the org address to memlow and compile for best results.

wipedisk.com This program can be to write $00 to every byte and ever sector on any drive. It uses

percom to do it's configuration.

cartdump.com This will dump the banks switching and code out of any OSS cart. This is a programming tool.

hyp_r.com This will lood a high speed r handler to either the MIO or Black BOX.

shutdown.com This is a tool that I used with my BBS. It is a memlow file that when you press the trigger

it closes every io channel and then run either a file or batch file

Gdevice.com Finished! Graphic 8 driver for the Epson dot matrix printers.

dis_bat.com This turns off the batch handler and the print function to

redirect Screen io to a file.

cr.com This is a utility that I wrote to work with the emulator it converts ascii to Atascii

or Atascii to ascii. It works with the H drive. It is only one file at a time however.

crccheck.com You can run this aginst any file that has had it's CRC set to see if the file has been modifyed.

Usage: Dn:>path>crccheck Dn:>path>filename.com it will return a pass or Fail. If you run

Set_reg.com no two files will have the same CRC.

version.com This is a file that can be run aginst any of our support files to tell info about the file

that was set by the header.s. this file Has several mods. usage version dn:>path>filename.ext

show the most info. second mode "version dn:>path>filename.ext /p" send info to the printer

third mode. "version dn:>path>filename.ext /H dn:>path>filename.txt" will append to a text

file basic info about the file you are checking. Cool thing about this is it give the internal

filename so if a file has been renamed you can tell what it is.

;=========================================================================================

The Current dead line we have for this is Augusta Of this Year. That is code finished, Tested, and Documented. Translated into other languages.

We have a lot of work to do and a number of you have helped us and the Atari Users base in this project. I just wante to say thanks for your help. I am still open to design changes and programming idea's.

I have had a request for Turbo-Basic compatable.. Working on this right Now. I have a copy of turbo basic but I need a small program and information on how to load and run a program and then exit..

I have request for long file names.. I am not going to change the directory format. I will give it some thought on how to maybe make a database that can serve this function.

Wedge compatable.. Done!

Read and change directorys froma my-dos disk.. I need a copy of mydos in atr format.. if there is source that would help. I will then try to write a mini-dos app that will copy mydos disk files and subdir to RealDos Format.

At this point in the project I am not willing to change disk formats. Realdos is compatable will SpartaDos x32n and x33n. In a future version I will look at going beyond the 16meg limmit to support larger Hard disk Partitions. Currently the Emulators and most of the disks you have are in the format we are using..

Please email or post any Ideas you have. I may also need your help if you have a piece of hardware I do not have and can no longer get.

Thanks,

Steve & The RealDos Programming Team.

Edited by Stephen J. Carden

You might want to add 'SDrive' to your hardware list.

Well I do not have an S drive nor do I have any idea on where to get one. I have an SIO2SD, SIO2IDE, and IDEa.

Steve

I have SIO2SD but I always use SDrive.

Where can I get one of these S Drives? I want to make sure RealDos will function with it. But I need one to make sure. I need to know where I can get one or the plans on how to build on? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Stephen J. Carden

Many of us bought Sdrive from AA user c0nsumer: http://nuxx.net/wiki/SDrive_NUXX

Another seller is: http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/proda8/adv-ek0130.htm

In those page you can also find building instructions.

Thank You very much for the info! Now to order one. I also had a nice offer from an Atari user that was going to send me one of his prototypes. I will not give out his name because it was sent to me in a private message. That is the first time in a long time some one was willing to just sent me hardware that was hand built. With the support we "the RealDos multi-language Team" have gotten lately it makes all these hours I am spending on this worth while!

Right Now RealDos has 90+ Support files and I know I am going to do more. RealDos was tested on a 800xl256k with a multi OS board and a sio2sd internal installed. Booted fine and ran well in that configuration. I am also running RealDos on my multiplexer system as well. The development of RealDos is being done on Toshiba Satellite laptop, xasm cross assembler and Atariwin800.

Please tell me what you want in RealDos. I already have all the tools I need right now. So if you want something then let us know what it is.

Steve

what format is that ATR in? Tried to write it to a disk last night using prosystem and it complained that it was not a valid image size.

The ATR that has RealDos on it is a standard Atr. The atr file was created on the 8-bit through the ape interface. You do not need the pro system to use it. If you booted from say MYDos and tried to read my atr you will get junk. SpartaDos and RealDos are the only Atari Dos systems that can read that format! Mount the RealDos atr as disk 1 and boot fom it. You can always boot the emulator and boot the Atr. Also the RealDos atr is the same size as a 1.44 floppy disk. So if you have a floppy board you can sector copy the Atr to a real atari Disk.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Well I do not have an S drive nor do I have any idea on where to get one. I have an SIO2SD, SIO2IDE, and IDEa.

Steve

Hi All, RealDos is comming along we keep adding new things to it. Right Now a number of you want me to test it with an S:Drive. I just received the S:Drive in the mail. No Doc's no Disk. Can somebody zip the files I need to get started and e-mail to me.

Thanks, Steve

Steve

Hi All, RealDos is comming along we keep adding new things to it. Right Now a number of you want me to test it with an S:Drive. I just received the S:Drive in the mail. No Doc's no Disk. Can somebody zip the files I need to get started and e-mail to me.

Thanks, Steve

Done! Glad to see support for this!!!

Steve

Thanks, Steve

Done! Glad to see support for this!!!

Well I had a very kind 8-bit user send me a zip with what I needed on it. RealDos does work with the S:Drive. :cool: I just took the atr I have been working with that has the latest and greatest version and put it on a 2 gig sd card and it booted right up. To my suprise I ran a percom test and who ever did the pic program for the s:drive set to the percom values just like the percom book said to. One head 65535 sectors drive present flag is set and so is the denisity. That means all the formatter I have written will work. I will spend some more time with the device and see what I can make it do.

Steve

Edited by Stephen J. Carden

what format is that ATR in? Tried to write it to a disk last night using prosystem and it complained that it was not a valid image size.

The ATR that has RealDos on it is a standard Atr. The atr file was created on the 8-bit through the ape interface. You do not need the pro system to use it. If you booted from say MYDos and tried to read my atr you will get junk. SpartaDos and RealDos are the only Atari Dos systems that can read that format! Mount the RealDos atr as disk 1 and boot fom it. You can always boot the emulator and boot the Atr. Also the RealDos atr is the same size as a 1.44 floppy disk. So if you have a floppy board you can sector copy the Atr to a real atari Disk.

Steve

There is a glitch (?) with this image. It differs somehow by 40 sectors. If you like to copy it with a sector copier it will not work. Instead of creating a destination image of 5000 sectors with ape, atari810 or aspeqt create 40 sectors less and you can use hdfmtdir to format it and use dupdsk to sectorcopy the image.

• 6 months later...