IGNORED

RealDos is Shareware

Stephen J. Carden

BUMP--

Are there anymore updates to this DOS since the Abbuc software competition. I was wondering it REALDOS has or will have a set PATH command. And also if the X.COM for swaping out the OS portion to allow Turbobasic to run.

i talked to steve not to long ago, and the abbuc release is SIO only... and as such, isnt a full release, he is working on build 027 which he said will be out as soon as its ready...

sloopy.

Is there a way of preventing RealDos trying to load a high speed loader?

I'm using older version of MyIDE (and I'm not wanting to upgrade to a newer MyIDE Rom since the old version of MyIDE is much much more compatible with Atari software)

This older version of MyIDE only accepts DOS versions who uses OS SIOV vector.

SpartaDOS 3.3a lacks a highspeed SIO loader, so this one works perfect with MyIDE.

But... I would like to use RealDOS with it.

So if there was a version of RealDOS without HighSpeed SIO of there was a config tool to alter RealDOS to act like SpartaDOS 3.3a (so no High Speed Sio)

I would be very happy.

Till then I keep using SpartaDOS 3.3a which works great too btw.

Marius

• 3 months later...

Is there a way of preventing RealDos trying to load a high speed loader?

I'm using older version of MyIDE (and I'm not wanting to upgrade to a newer MyIDE Rom since the old version of MyIDE is much much more compatible with Atari software)

This older version of MyIDE only accepts DOS versions who uses OS SIOV vector.

SpartaDOS 3.3a lacks a highspeed SIO loader, so this one works perfect with MyIDE.

But... I would like to use RealDOS with it.

So if there was a version of RealDOS without HighSpeed SIO of there was a config tool to alter RealDOS to act like SpartaDOS 3.3a (so no High Speed Sio)

I would be very happy.

Till then I keep using SpartaDOS 3.3a which works great too btw.

Marius

After 29 years at my Job I am going to retire April 24, 2011. Right now I am off from work using up all my vacation.

I am going to finish the USA release of RealDos. So I have a question for you and if you want to see something added to RealDos send me an E-mail. If you do not send your requests I can not program them in! Also People who have registered RealDos have access to most all the source if they want to dable with there programming skills. One request that I have received is a way to turn of the headder that is attached to every support file. With the request that is in the message I replied to is a way to set the siov code. I will look into a way to do this. Ken Jones is testing a RealDos for me right now but I have not received his finnial take on it yet.

I want to Thank each of these people who helped with the ABBUC multi language version of RealDos!

*Waseo*,GoodByteXL, Wolfgang, Erhard Pütz, Atreju, jvas, fox-1, mnx, bob_er, Rockford! And my Cat Smokey who passed away a month before we sent RealDos to ABBUC! I dedicated RealDos to my Cat Smokey. Smokey did not program but he was always by my side when I was programming. Smokey help me solve many problem with RealDos just by being there.

*Waseo* served as an interface and Team Manager with the rest of the team! *Waseo* also wrote the IBM code that took my source and turned them into each of the languages that are supported.

GoodByteXL is the man who took my note and turned them into the documentation. He did a great Job!

You can register RealDos to you by sending $10.00 by Paypal to 'sjcardensr@bellsouth.net' I reduced the shareware fee so that it would fall into almost anyone budget!

Here is a list of the sio Devices I have. If you have something that is not on this list please e-mail with the info to 'RealDos@bellsouth.net'. You can also send your Dos wants and ideas to the same e-mail. Also if you have a file that works with another dos and you want it to work with realdos send all the info to me and I will look into it.

Ape serial and usb

rverter

sio2usb

sio2ide

sio2sd

SDrive

1050 Happy

1050 Duplicator

1050 Super Archiver with Bit Board

prc

Well Thank you for your Time,

Stephen J. Carden

Edited by Stephen J. Carden

Steve, that latest build has been working fine for me with MIO, BlackBox, and UltraSpeed SIO devices..

SUGGESTION FOR 029 FINAL BUILD: Remember, EXCLUDE the [OPTION] key from the code that brings up the SIOV menu at bootup, because most people hold down [OPTION] to boot their machines without BASIC, and it takes less than a second for the DOS to boot from a hardisc. It's hard to "get off the button" soon enough if you don't want the SIOV menu. The SIOV menu is useful when you WANT it, but an annoyance if you werent trying to trigger it. In fact, you may want to consider making [sTART] the only key that triggers it. BlackBox and MIO users will be holding [HELP] during reset to initate a cold boot.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All you RealDos users!

I know you have been waiting for this. This is the USA version of the ABBUC RealDos Version. This is RealDos version 1.0a Build 30. I have also included a pdf of the RealDos Documentation. There are a few changes that you will not miss. I removed the Polling process of the PBI device, I kept running into problems with none standard PBI devices. The PBI devices that were used in testing were Ken Jones MIO, Black Box with floppy Board, Supra Hard disk interface. Testing was also done on the SDrive, Ape interface USB and Serial, SIO2USB(ABBUC design), SIO2SD, SIO2IDE, Happy 1050, 1050 Super Archiver, 1050 Duplicator, US Doublers, And SF551 3 1/5 Puff Design. As with any code I write there is always something I want to add so rest assured that I will continue to add new support files as new hardware is made available to me. REALDOS WAS NOT TESTED WITH the MY-IDE interface. If you have a MY-IDE and want to use RealDos you must have a MY-IDE rom Present in the computer. There is no direct support for the MY-IDE interface in RealDos!

As you may or may not know you can enter an SIO menu by pressing the START or SELECT key once the DOS starts to boot. The OPTION key was masked out so you can turn basic off during a boot. This next function is do at your own risk, If you want to add an override function you can solder an on/off switch take one leg of the switch and solder it to pin 3 of the gtia and the other to pin 10 of the gtia. When the switch is closed it will also start RealDos with the OS Roms siov.

In the Documentation is how to register RealDos. If you register RealDos each of the support files will be compiled with your Name and serial number and have a crc added to each support file. You can run a file call crccheck aginst the support files and if the crc does not match then the support file has been modified by something and should be replaced with one that the crc does match. Site license owners that distributed RealDos with their hardware also have this function. RealDos user I have not written any code that would keep you from running RealDos longer than 30 days. I just trust that you will register so that I have a reason to continue supporting new hardware. Also people who register RealDos have access to source support files if they want to try their hand at writing code for themselves or others.

I always welcome new ideas for file or Ideas for RealDos. So if you have an idea or a want e-mail me. My E-mail address is in the DOCS.

The zip file contains a 16meg atr and a pdf of the documentations.

Have fun, and enjoy.

Stephen J. Carden

RealDos ver 30.zip

This is a general message to anyone who has or are thinking about a my-ide device.

This is an e-mail that Mr.Atari just sent me. I guess he does not believe in free speech. Mr. Atari wants to post a message about RealDos with half truths. So I am posting it here with the e-mail thread. If it gets removed from here then you realize this forum is not what they should be. This message was a reply to the people who have purchased the Mr. Atari MY-IDE system and want to use RealDos. The second thing I am going to say is that Steven Tucker is a friend and the dealing I have with him he is always looking after the Atari User base with very high quality equipment. Even though Steve Tucker is producing his hardware I am sure that the software is the problem and not the equipment Tucker is supplying him.

In the past Steve Tucker has supplied me with the information and equipment to program for the devices he sells. This is why there is so much support in RealDos for Tucker hardware.

I removed your reply and my remark from the forum.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----

Van: Mr.Atari [mailto:mr-atari@mr-atari.com]

Verzonden: zondag 27 maart 2011 10:16

Aan: Steve Carden

Onderwerp: RE: Real.Dos and SpartaDos

WTF?!?!

I was to a fair the last week, I emailed that, so I had no time.

I'm doing the software for MyIDE, not the hardware.

Hardware is done at atarimax.com.

If you don't wont to be part of that side of the atari community, that's fine with me.

Not sure what your problem is, but you have one.

byebye

Today I got a bucket load of shit over me from Mr.Realdos

Not sure what his problem is............

It's up to you to use realdos or not.

MyIDE is -always- detected as 4.2 and works like it should.

Later,

Sijmen.

Yes This is Stephen J. Carden.

What you are calling a Bucket load of shit is me asking for you to send me one of your fu**ed up devices. Your Orginal design is shit and so is your code. You customers waited for two years for you to learn how to do romable code. Don't worry one of your un happy customer is sending me one of the Tucker designs (Tucker does good work). If you want code to be written for something then you need to get your tight ass of the cash you have received from them and send it to someone who knows how to code. Get this Strait I have not written the first line of code to detect what I would call a sub standard ROM. Now Percom and works by mistake not design. I am going to decompile your fu**ed up rom and write a real driver. I have put menu's in RealDos so it might work. Here is the message you said you got a but load of shit over.

For the users who have purchased this device I will help you in any way I can. But the my-ide device and Mr. Atari must change his ways.

"Hi! Sijmen,

Several years ago I offered and sent you code on how to do Percom! RealDos will only function correctly with percom. Now you want me to put code into RealDos that will benefit you and again there is nothing for me in this. The people who designed and built the Ken Jones MIO, sio2usb, sio2sd, sio2ide,and APE interface have all sent hardware and documentation on how to program for their devices. Users who have wanted things added to RealDos in general register RealDos.

Now this is what I have gotten from you. NOTHING! You have never registered RealDos and you have not sent me hardware to test with. Makes it real hard to program for a device when I do not have one.

So you do not want to send me a MY-IDE fine.. Until you send me both versions of your device, as well as complete source code for any and all modifications that have been made to the OS, I will not write one line of code that will help you in any way. If I get enough users that want MY-IDE support I will write my own Rom and external drivers.

When the guys were working on SpartaDos X enhancement I sent them a complete Multiplexer Setup because I wanted support for the Multiplexer within SDX. I see no reason why (in the interest of getting the best possible support for your devices) you cannot send me the appropriate hardware and source code, so that I know exactly what I am supporting, and can form the best development strategy for implementing those features. Writing/maintaining an entire DOS is a little more in-depth/complicated than just patching an OS, or writing a standalone application for a specific piece of hardware. I hope you can understand this.

Take Care,

Stephen J. Carden"

• Like 1

i have been playing with it for about 6 hours on and off, and it seems real nice...

great job steve!

sloopy.

I am very happy you are enjoying this build the programming team that *WASEO* put together is the real hero behind this build. There is so much new stuff that did not make it in the ABBUC version because of the disk size for the contest. I have a bunch of things I want to improve. One thing that would help me a bunch is I need to find and id every OS that is being used. Ken Jones Ran into a real Atari Rom I have never seen before. So I need to improve the hardware detection process.. I have a bunch of scraps of code I need to add. I will add this to the hardware.com first. With almost 100 support files there is a lot of files to play with. One file That I have started to use is xtype.com xtype.com was requested by GoodByteXL. He wanted the internal type command to do more than what the internal one does. When I explanied to him what the internal type command was for he was happy. he was more happy when I added the support he wanted in xtype.com. GoodByteXL was also the person that took my notes and turned them into the pdf document that was added to the zip file.

Steve

This is a general message to anyone who has or are thinking about a my-ide device.

This is an e-mail that Mr.Atari just sent me. I guess he does not believe in free speech. Mr. Atari wants to post a message about RealDos with half truths. So I am posting it here with the e-mail thread. If it gets removed from here then you realize this forum is not what they should be. This message was a reply to the people who have purchased the Mr. Atari MY-IDE system and want to use RealDos. The second thing I am going to say is that Steven Tucker is a friend and the dealing I have with him he is always looking after the Atari User base with very high quality equipment. Even though Steve Tucker is producing his hardware I am sure that the software is the problem and not the equipment Tucker is supplying him.

In the past Steve Tucker has supplied me with the information and equipment to program for the devices he sells. This is why there is so much support in RealDos for Tucker hardware.

WTF?!?!

If you don't wont to be part of that side of the atari community, that's fine with me.

byebye

Later,

Sijmen.

What you are calling a Bucket load of shit is me asking for you to send me one of your fu**ed up devices. Your Orginal design is shit and so is your code. You customers waited for two years for you to learn how to do romable code. Don't worry one of your un happy customer is sending me one of the Tucker designs (Tucker does good work). If you want code to be written for something then you need to get your tight ass of the cash you have received from them and send it to someone who knows how to code. Get this Strait I have not written the first line of code to detect what I would call a sub standard ROM. Now Percom and works by mistake not design. I am going to decompile your fu**ed up rom and write a real driver. I have put menu's in RealDos so it might work. Here is the message you said you got a but load of shit over.

For the users who have purchased this device I will help you in any way I can. But the my-ide device and Mr. Atari must change his ways.

"Hi! Sijmen,

Several years ago I offered and sent you code on how to do Percom! RealDos will only function correctly with percom. Now you want me to put code into RealDos that will benefit you and again there is nothing for me in this. The people who designed and built the Ken Jones MIO, sio2usb, sio2sd, sio2ide,and APE interface have all sent hardware and documentation on how to program for their devices. Users who have wanted things added to RealDos in general register RealDos.

Now this is what I have gotten from you. NOTHING! You have never registered RealDos and you have not sent me hardware to test with. Makes it real hard to program for a device when I do not have one.

So you do not want to send me a MY-IDE fine.. Until you send me both versions of your device, as well as complete source code for any and all modifications that have been made to the OS, I will not write one line of code that will help you in any way. If I get enough users that want MY-IDE support I will write my own Rom and external drivers.

When the guys were working on SpartaDos X enhancement I sent them a complete Multiplexer Setup because I wanted support for the Multiplexer within SDX. I see no reason why (in the interest of getting the best possible support for your devices) you cannot send me the appropriate hardware and source code, so that I know exactly what I am supporting, and can form the best development strategy for implementing those features. Writing/maintaining an entire DOS is a little more in-depth/complicated than just patching an OS, or writing a standalone application for a specific piece of hardware. I hope you can understand this.

Take Care,

Stephen J. Carden"

Yep: there's a lesson for me in there as well. Don't write unsolicited drivers for MyIDE. I got a free copy of APE from Steve Tucker for my trouble (a man I have NO argument with: he does great work), but I had to purchase a MyIDE/Flash cart at my own expense in order to continue driver development. Reason for this? I assume because not only does Sijmen not give a s**t whether I finished the driver or not, he'd rather prefer it if I didn't, while he merrily posts appalling RWTEST results using MyDOS and the MyIDE OS on his forum, and actively encourages people to download SDX 4.43 and use it with version 99.56734 of his "BIOS" - all this without even a passing mention that there's a real IDE driver out there, started by Kyle Dain, and fully realized by yours truly. While the main drawback of the SDX driver is that it tends to reveal how unstable the interface is in the first place, I wonder how many people bought MyIDE carts off the back of my very intense and time-consuming programming efforts? Well - I was one of them, and I still can't get the f***ing thing to work. :D

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree with you more, flashjazzcat. I just wish more people had listened earlier on. Cheap does not alwayse mean good. My decision to stop building the MyIDE internal kits (which ATARIMAX did a great job of continuing, he really does a fine job of manufacturing stuff WELL and passing the lowest possible cost on to his customers) was because I saw the "writing on the wall" so to speak.. Several people (who are 100 times the coder that Sijmen will ever be) had offered to help him straighten out the problems with his rom/driver, and he not only refused, but gave no real reason. I was tired of waitng for him to grow up (as a coder, as well as a man) and do what was best for the people who had bought into his "design".

I have no doubt that your SDX MyIDE handler is written 10x better/faster (than Sijmen's Hacked OS) and with an actual complete understanding of how the OS, DOS, and hardware are supposed to CORRECTLY interact.

Theres a saying, "Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth."... Well he has SHOT the gift-horse many times.. And at the expense of TRUE support for his product. Very sad.

That said, it's important to put into context that the device is not a system-legal implementation of ANYTHING on the hardware level, and your time, teh time of other willing developers, and peoples' money is much better spent elsewhere.

Live & learn, I guess..

I wonder how many people bought MyIDE carts off the back of my very intense and time-consuming programming efforts? Well - I was one of them, and I still can't get the f***ing thing to work. :D

Me :( It's sitting here gathering dust.

I'll point out that as Ken said the cart is really well put together by AtariMax and I have no fault with the service I've received from Steve. To be fair Mr Atari game me some good suggestions when I couldn't even get it going with the original MyIDE OS and I have managed to get it running now. Unfortunately I cannot make it work with SDX and Jon's driver. I've tried multiple machines a couple different timing fixes plus different CF/adaptor combos.

Bottom line? I don't have time to try to make the thing work. Anyone want to buy a MyIDE + Flash cart drop me a PM.

Bought one in 2007, never worked.

Fast forward 2011 thought it may have improved. WRONG

I dont fault Steve at classics. And i appreciate his offer to refund my money. Its not about getting the money back with me. It would have just been nice to have better support. Looking back, i would had been better off just purchasing the APE Software for his sio2pc cable.

I just wish Mr. Atari would accept peoples help.

And i've learned to take Kens advise to the letter. :(

Live and learn.....

My "very old" AtariMax MyIDE+Flash cart actually works with FJC's driver and although fast as hell, it would never replace my MIO/HDD setups. It isn't as solid as those.

Yup. My MIO HDD is in daily use. Rock solid. I had hoped that the MyIDE + SDX combo would be a nice portable solution so it is a shame I couldn't make it work with SDX.

Edited by spookt

My "very old" AtariMax MyIDE+Flash cart actually works with FJC's driver and although fast as hell, it would never replace my MIO/HDD setups. It isn't as solid as those.

Same here. I was spurred on by success with the old cart, but unfortunately very few have been able to achieve a solid setup with the newer hardware. The system I have is totally solid - I must just be lucky: dual CF card set-up, cross-drive copying, etc. But I don't like the fact it blocks off the cart port. I've said elsewhere that I intend to get the driver and partitioning software on a proper PBI interface in the future, and this is still the case.

Edited by flashjazzcat

WTF?!?!

byebye

Later,

Sijmen.

"Hi! Sijmen,

Take Care,

Stephen J. Carden"

Yep: there's a lesson for me in there as well. Don't write unsolicited drivers for MyIDE. I got a free copy of APE from Steve Tucker for my trouble (a man I have NO argument with: he does great work), but I had to purchase a MyIDE/Flash cart at my own expense in order to continue driver development. Reason for this? I assume because not only does Sijmen not give a s**t whether I finished the driver or not, he'd rather prefer it if I didn't, while he merrily posts appalling RWTEST results using MyDOS and the MyIDE OS on his forum, and actively encourages people to download SDX 4.43 and use it with version 99.56734 of his "BIOS" - all this without even a passing mention that there's a real IDE driver out there, started by Kyle Dain, and fully realized by yours truly. While the main drawback of the SDX driver is that it tends to reveal how unstable the interface is in the first place, I wonder how many people bought MyIDE carts off the back of my very intense and time-consuming programming efforts? Well - I was one of them, and I still can't get the f***ing thing to work. :D

Well Now I see in his personal monitored forum. I wonder how many other messages he deleted. I guess he thinks people do not read Mapping the Atari. Last time I looked HiTab has the table where each of the drive functions happen to be located and easy to extract all the info I need from right there. Hummm I wonder if he know that there is a very powerfull disassembler in RealDos called megadisk. A hard rom is very easy to extract driver code out of. I am thinking of writting a little driver Kind of like a Ramdisk handler so that people can use their REAL ATARI Roms and export their files to a stable platform. This is my view of the Mr. Atari designed IDE interface. His design is stupid Fu**ed up waste of chips and wire. I have not seen the Tucker Design yet But I sure it was improved on. So it back to software. What Kind of Programer thinks you can detect 1 rom out hunders by a single byte. I know why he did not use the percom code I sent him it was real code something he does not understand. I would have to go into the woods and shoot myself before I would sell the shit he does. So Mr Atari go play in the street and leave coding to people who know what they are doing you do not! For the people who purchased this device I will try and see if I can make it work better for you. The Mr. Atari design does not give me much to work with. And I will publish the Source code I write. Sorry about the rant I just get really pissed of when people have been riped off.

On a different note.. the sio2ide that was sent to me the designer told me that he was only sure of one type of compact flash adapter would work. Come to find out that if you purchase an compact flash adapter that uses a seperate power line the problem goes away. Something I just stumbled into!

Got a question for the users that spend more time on the internet than I do. Is anyone doing anything with an IDE design that will work?

Have a great day.

Stephen J. Carden

Proud owner of a registered copy. Actually first atari software i've bought since the mid 80's

On a side note, here are a couple of drives that i went thru on the MYIDE.

(trust me, this is a small percentage of the drives i went thru)

post-12722-0-52858000-1302749351_thumb.jpg

Edited by 19Echo

Interesting. I wasn't aware there were so many compatibility/stability issues with MyIDE. I built my own internal MyIDE interfaces for a pair of XEGS systems, using some extra TTL chips from my parts drawer and some $10 CF-to-IDE adapters from Newegg. It isn't a full-featured hard drive solution, of course (I've got a new MIO from MEtalGuy66 for that), but for booting 90K diskette images in what amounts to a video game console, it seems to work pretty well for me. Since 1GB CF cards are available for under $10 now, I haven't seen much of a need to use a mechanical hard drive with it, so perhaps that's one reason I've managed to avoid trouble so far.

• Like 1

Well Now I see in his personal monitored forum. I wonder how many other messages he deleted.

The thread he started for his new beta BIOS is locked. :) Only Sijmen can post to it...

What Kind of Programer thinks you can detect 1 rom out hunders by a single byte.

One for whom the only machine worth supporting is one with his ROM plugged into it.

And I will publish the Source code I write. Sorry about the rant I just get really pissed of when people have been riped off.

If I can help I will, with code or questions. I have a fairly good understanding of MyIDE, having written the driver.

Got a question for the users that spend more time on the internet than I do. Is anyone doing anything with an IDE design that will work?

Check out the IDE Plus 2.0 thread. That's the best upcoming design. However, I'll be working on something in the future, having been approached by a couple of people who want to use my driver suite for something useful. Hias and I deisgned a very nicely realized extensible LBA partitioning system which is completely incompatible with the original MyIDE format, and of course there's the partitioning software which was another project in its own right. I don't want this stuff to go to waste.

On the subject of Sijmen, having promoted the exclusive use of MyDOS with the MyIDE interface, he's suddenly started beta testing SpartaDOS X 4.43 with the latest version of his MyIDE ROM, which supports 512 byte sectors. These tests are yielding some screengrabs showing 40KB/s reads. Though still 25KB/s short of what my driver achieves, this demonstrates that - as a final kick in the teeth - he has decided to fully support SDX using his ROM driver, once again without any acknowledgement of what I've already done, or any questions sent my way about how it might be done most effectively. Presumably he wants to completely eradicate the small user base I have. This is self-importance at its worst: he didn't give a s**t about SDX till someone else wrote a driver for it.

EDIT: I've just gone across to the AM forum and deleted all my posts and content pertaining to the driver. If Sijmen wants to handle SDX support for the half a dozen people who read his posts over there, he's welcome to the job. I've referred people who want to use a real driver to my website and this forum.

In addition, Steve has posted over there that he's interested in taking some practical steps to improve the stability of the MyIDE/Flash interface. This is great news (it shows that at least one of the admins over there actually listens to people), and I've asked him for details so I can test the fix out on my own cart. This may be a big shot in the arm for the SDX driver.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I just want to say i love your MyIDE driver. I can't go back to MyDOS. I have an external MyIDE cart with a flashdrive and SDX running and I think it's the best. Its a nice pull-my-cart take it with my solution.

Frank

Edited by Frankie

I just want to say i love your MyIDE driver. I can't go back to MyDOS. I have an external MyIDE cart with a flashdrive and SDX running and I think it's the best. Its a nice pull-my-cart take it with my solution.

Frank

Quick.. Go and purchase a lotto ticket. Out of all the e-mail I have gotten about the MyIDE system you are the only one I know of that is happy. I am very happy for you. You should publish every detail on the hardware so that maybe a few others can teak there configuration.

Stephen J. Carden