IGNORED

Free Atari games at Taco Bell...

Well I played my game tonight, Lunar Lander. Maybe it's just better memories of the ones on the net, but this game was excruciatingly slow.

That was Atari and Taco Bell's direction, they wanted the descent a bit more manageable for kids. You'll notice 3 skill levels vs. the multiple options in the arcade version. Though it shouldn't be much slower than the arcade rom, I used that as the reference.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a blast. Maybe my memories of the original is faded. I just don't remember it being so agonizingly slow. The hardest difficulty really doesn't make the gravity any heavier, just less gas, which only allows you to really land twice at the most.

Actually, it does make the gravity "heavier". That's also why it effects the gas, costs more to fight the gravity.

No biggy, Marty :). I'm still happy for just a dollar. I can understand their concern about the decent, but to put things in perspective, I let my lunar lander fall for about 3 minutes while waiting for commercials to pass before Family Guy started again, and I was still up in the air when the show started. My wife even asked me "aren't you playing a game?", confused as I wasn't facing the monitor for that whole time. And that was on the hardest difficulty :P.

Anywho, I still really appreciate the effort, and I can't wait to buy the other three. I'm quite excited about Astroids.

No biggy, Marty :). I'm still happy for just a dollar. I can understand their concern about the decent, but to put things in perspective, I let my lunar lander fall for about 3 minutes while waiting for commercials to pass before Family Guy started again, and I was still up in the air when the show started. My wife even asked me "aren't you playing a game?", confused as I wasn't facing the monitor for that whole time. And that was on the hardest difficulty :P.

What's your hardware? It shouldn't take anywhere near that long, at least it didn't on the Macbook and PC we tested on.

Anywho, I still really appreciate the effort, and I can't wait to buy the other three. I'm quite excited about Astroids.

Not a problem. Let me know if you're experiencing any speed problems on those as well.

I'll have to check exactly what it is later (I'm on my work iMac atm), but I have a 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo iMac at home with upgraded ram (that I believe I upgraded to the maximum... whatever it would be for that system).

I don't know if you have an iPhone, but check out Touch Lander. That's about the speed of gravity I'm accustomed to. With this game it seems about 5-7 times slower, and I'm not over exaggerating. Maybe Adobe Air is acting funny or something...

I'll have to check exactly what it is later (I'm on my work iMac atm), but I have a 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo iMac at home with upgraded ram (that I believe I upgraded to the maximum... whatever it would be for that system).

Did you have flash already installed on it? Could be an issue with the 10 player, sometimes player 9 stuff plays slower on there. Also Mac's sometimes have odd issues with Flash that can't be controlled on this end. Played fine on the lower end 13" MacBook I tested on, and ran a little slower on the G5 iMac. But nothing what you're talking about. But I know I've seen issues with Flash apps that run fine on one Mac and chug on another. Did you have all other programs closed down?

I know both Atari and Taco Bell people put it through it's passes (and the other three games) for any debugging that needed to be done, so if they had been getting a speed issue on their Mac's they would have certainly made no bones about bitching about it. That's why the only thing I can say is it just has to be a Mac Flash issue on your individual computer.

I don't know if you have an iPhone, but check out Touch Lander. That's about the speed of gravity I'm accustomed to. With this game it seems about 5-7 times slower, and I'm not over exaggerating. Maybe Adobe Air is acting funny or something...

Nope, never seen that - I wouldn't compare it against something that's not the real thing anyways. As I mentioned, these were compared directly to the MAME rom in development, went directly to the source.

Edited by wgungfu

I'm pretty amazed that Atari stuff is popular enough these days that a major fast food chain is using them as a promotion. This never would have happened when I started collecting. I'm pleased that for once there's a fad I don't mind participating in! Hopefully some kids will actually play and enjoy these, and keep Atari from fading away in the next generation.

For those of you who have found stores with the CD-ROMs, do they have any banners or anything on the outside of the store advertising these discs? They didn't have squat in Sycamore, IL (just north of DeKalb/NIU), and I drove past the one on Aurora's far west side, but couldn't tell, and didn't go in....

I'd like the games but not the food,thanks! lol Maybe the only thing I'd eat off their menu would be the bean burritos,although I try to stay away from fast food entirely these days. Also I'm a vegetarian soo Taco Bell beef is a huge no-no for my diet.

Just wait, I bet someone here manages to get multiple sets :)

Anybody know if they run under linux, or what you have to do, to do that?

The Fujitsu laptop I use every day is dual-boot XP/Ubuntu, so if I can find some before you do I'll let you know about WINE compatibility or some other way of making it work. :)

The Fujitsu laptop I use every day is dual-boot XP/Ubuntu, so if I can find some before you do I'll let you know about WINE compatibility or some other way of making it work. :)

Actually, you shouldn't need Wine if you can rip the Air install from the disc. Flash and Air work on Linux as well. Taco Bell just wasn't interested in stating or promoting Linux support. That's again why I went this route, write once and immediately have multiple platforms with no separate builds needed for each one. With barely an 8 week turnaround needed for all 8 games (including all play testing and debugging), it helped immensely. AFAIK, this was the first commercial game released with these two technologies.

Edited by wgungfu
  • Like 1

Actually, you shouldn't need Wine if you can rip the Air install from the disc. Flash and Air work on Linux as well. Taco Bell just wasn't interested in stating or promoting Linux support. That's again why I went this route, write once and immediately have multiple platforms with no separate builds needed for each one. With barely an 8 week turnaround needed for all 8 games (including all play testing and debugging), it helped immensely. AFAIK, this was the first commercial game released with these two technologies.

Awesome! I convinced the wife to let me go tonight to get her dinner, since I went there for lunch and she got jealous. I didn't tell her about my ulterior motive... ;) I'll try doing that and let you know!

I found them in Northern California today. Bought all 4. There was a sign on the wall (where they advertise the kids meal toys), but nothing outside. The lady said that they just got them yesterday, and she opened the case fresh for me. :cool:

The first Taco Bell I went to (at lunch) didn't know what I was talking about when I showed them a printout of the games. But then at dinner, I went to another Taco Bell and got one each. Only the manager knew what I was asking for and he went and got the box and opened it up for me.

Now that I have them home, I don't want to cut them open (guess I should have gotten two each).

...turnaround needed for all 8 games...

8 games? Is there another series of four coming out?

Dang it.. Didn't see this till now, and I went to Taco Time for lunch today!! :(

Oh well, I had crisp bean burritos, so it looks like tacos for lunch tomorrow. :)

desiv

I wish there was a Taco Time around here. That was one of my favorite places when I was in college.

I haven't seen anything about the promo in my area... guess all have to ask what's in the kids meal.